PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

45freezer
02-25-2020, 11:31 AM
So the wheels have treated me well the last couple years but I've officially picked up a strugglestick. 2 weeks ago I had zero interest in shooting trad but I stopped by my friend Tony's last weekend and he got to showing me some bows he was working on, put some arrows through this one and it sold itself. 68", 43# made from black locust, yew, eastern maple, bamboo, zebra wood and tigerwood if memory serves me correctly. Looks nice but she's a shooter too, can't wait to take her on her first hike and show her all my secret places! ;)

https://i.imgur.com/0ogfT9u.jpg?1

Plus the wood grain even matches my pack just in case there's some sort of fashion show going on in the high country.

https://i.imgur.com/dWBPXqp.jpg?1

walks with deer
02-25-2020, 12:16 PM
awesome should be a lot of fun.

KBC
02-25-2020, 03:54 PM
The wood grain is cool. Nice beard btw

pnbrock
02-25-2020, 03:59 PM
I was more drawn to your beard aswel. Cool bow but it don’t have sights so I’m out.

OutsyderBC
02-25-2020, 04:51 PM
I take it that's the chap who got Vlads old forms then?

If it is, nice, capable bows, the our man from Osoyoos has won almost everything with one, I had one for a while and I enjoyed it, a little slow but stable.

Enjoy.

45freezer
02-25-2020, 05:14 PM
I was more drawn to your beard aswel. Cool bow but it don't have sights so I'm out.

Glad you guys like the beard. That's exactly how I felt a couple weeks ago, it's impressive how accurately you can use your arrow tip as a sight though, it's like having a single pin that doesn't slide...there are aiming methods that essentially make it a slider as well. They're definitely the outliers but there are guys shooting stickbows aiming point on and keeping up with wheel bows at 40 yards.

I take it that's the chap who got Vlads old forms then?

If it is, nice, capable bows, the our man from Osoyoos has won almost everything with one, I had one for a while and I enjoyed it, a little slow but stable.

Enjoy.

Yes, Tony is "the new Vlad." The bow is most definitely more capable than me at this point and I'm sure it will be for a loooong while, I look forward to gaining more confidence with it and eventually getting some blood on it! ;)

OutsyderBC
02-25-2020, 05:56 PM
You definitely can get accurate in the single string game.

Lots of range time and an open mind. Stay away from the "trad" nazis/tradpolice, they're the worst of mankind (in fact, never use the term "trad"!) Learn to aim, stay away from "instinctive" archers (Just like Howard Hill, I have never met a good one) good archers are usually at shoots and not so much on Youtube, walk before you can run. Get a coach/mentor, only shoot wooden arrows if you really want to, don't get pushed into it because a salty old guy says you're not "traditional" if you don't. That will help you on your way!

Also, giving wheelie bow shooters a hard time is just for fun, you can do it, but don't really mean it - see above on the "trad police"

HarryToolips
02-25-2020, 10:01 PM
Nice bow.....I shoot traditional, 55# draw....I'm 20 yards or less for game....

45freezer
02-27-2020, 11:11 AM

Lots of range time and an open mind. Stay away from the "trad" nazis/tradpolice, they're the worst of mankind (in fact, never use the term "trad"!) Learn to aim, stay away from "instinctive" archers (Just like Howard Hill, I have never met a good one) good archers are usually at shoots and not so much on Youtube, walk before you can run. Get a coach/mentor, only shoot wooden arrows if you really want to, don't get pushed into it because a salty old guy says you're not "traditional" if you don't. That will help you on your way!

Also, giving wheelie bow shooters a hard time is just for fun, you can do it, but don't really mean it - see above on the "trad police"

Haha don't worry, I intend to buck all the "trad" trends, starting with actually killing something :mrgreen: (just kidding, the razzing goes both ways and for now I'm still on team wheels...we'll see how long that lasts though)

I did order the cheesy wood grain carbon arrows and just might fletch them with turkey feathers but I am curious about the new AAE trad vanes as well. I've been gap shooting with decent consistency but think a fixed crawl would be more applicable for stickbow hunting so I'll have to experiment with that.

Nice bow.....I shoot traditional, 55# draw....I'm 20 yards or less for game....

Thanks man! What's your arrow setup with that bow?

TDHunter
03-02-2020, 03:40 PM
Should be a forgiving bow at 68", heard real mixed views on the trad vanes, but haven't tried them yet.

Don't discount instinctive without giving a try. I've always thought it was the best style for hunting just because I don't have think about gaps or trying set my fingers if the animal is moving away or towards, worth a try.

Cheers

weatherby_man
03-02-2020, 04:41 PM
If that bow is half as deadly as it is beautiful you should do real well with it. It sure is a beaut!

45freezer
03-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Should be a forgiving bow at 68", heard real mixed views on the trad vanes, but haven't tried them yet.

Don't discount instinctive without giving a try. I've always thought it was the best style for hunting just because I don't have think about gaps or trying set my fingers if the animal is moving away or towards, worth a try.

Cheers

I think what I've been doing would be closer to semi instinctive gap shooting than true gap shooting, I'm aware of my arrow tip and using it as a reference but I'm focused on the spot I want to hit. Finding as I step back my arrows are consistently impacting slightly left so not sure if it's my release or if I need to add some more point weight to these arrows to soften them up but I'll play around this weekend and see what happens. At least I'm on target!

https://i.imgur.com/HpWCUmx.jpg?2

J_T
03-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Haha, nice.

I no longer practice like I should, but I kill every year with the longbow or recurve. Not always lookin for 10's. Looking for heart/double lung.

OutsyderBC
03-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Haha, nice.

I no longer practice like I should, but I kill every year with the longbow or recurve. Not always lookin for 10's. Looking for heart/double lung.

True dat!

I can tell you that competitive archery at the highest level is nothing on the nerves to drawing on an animal, nothing levels you like that does.

Hope you are well, J_T, we are in the Kootenays a couple of times in the spring/summer, we should have tea. Bosslady has moved into a role you might be interested in.

chris1234
03-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Man thats a beauty recurve, just curious does your buddy Tony have any more for sale? I'd love to take a look

45freezer
03-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Man thats a beauty recurve, just curious does your buddy Tony have any more for sale? I'd love to take a look

Sent you a PM!

Avalanche123
03-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Beauty bow...love the choice of wood too!

Noah68
04-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Don’t be afraid of AAE trad vanes, they really do shoot well. I’ve shot feathers for 50 years, but recently built a new set of carbon shafts with a 4 fletch, using 3” vanes. They are incredible off the shelf and off a flipper rest, and very quiet. I can’t say how long they will hold up yet, but feathers don’t last all that long either. And the vanes can get wet without any problems or loss of performance.
Cheers!

buddyrip
04-07-2020, 09:14 PM

That bow is and Longbow of the Vlad design and would certainly be deserving of some fancy wood arrows with feathers.

45freezer
04-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Don’t be afraid of AAE trad vanes, they really do shoot well. I’ve shot feathers for 50 years, but recently built a new set of carbon shafts with a 4 fletch, using 3” vanes. They are incredible off the shelf and off a flipper rest, and very quiet. I can’t say how long they will hold up yet, but feathers don’t last all that long either. And the vanes can get wet without any problems or loss of performance.
Cheers!

Appreciate the input, did you fletch them yourself and if so did you have any issues? One consistent thing I've heard is they can be a real pain in the ass to fletch.

That bow is and Longbow of the Vlad design and would certainly be deserving of some fancy wood arrows with feathers.

Have some barred shield cut turkey feathers on the way, shooting carbon for now but would definitely like to shoot woods out of it eventually.

45freezer
04-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Update: have been shooting this thing like crazy, won't be taking it out for spring bear this year but I'm pretty confident at 15-18 yards now. When I do my part it's a shooter for sure! ;)

https://i.imgur.com/eYTN7zp.jpg?1

downsouth204
04-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Nice bow man! You're going to like carrying it a lot more than the compound bow.

45freezer
04-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Nice bow man! You're going to like carrying it a lot more than the compound bow.

Haha that's exactly what I thought when I first picked it up, so far it's 6 in one half a dozen in the other though. Much lighter but more than twice as long, I'm sure once I get used to it I will but right now I'm bumping it on everything.

Noah68
04-11-2020, 12:06 PM
I’ve always done my own fletching so I can control all aspects, including the most important - colour ;). I haven’t had any issues with adhesion at this time, using Bohning Fletch-tite. Just wipe the shaft with 70% alcohol first. And keep the glue light, less is more. Because the base on the vanes is equal sided, they can be easily set up right or left hand, although I’d be cautious of giving them too much twist.
Wood shafts would match up to that bow very nicely, very traditional, and I’d definitely go with the barred feathers on those.
Regards!

bluesman
04-14-2020, 01:32 AM
Feathers much better than vanes. Glad your enjoying traditional. I switched 23 years ago and never looked back . Taken moose , elk , whitetail , muley , pronghorn , black bear , grouse , pheasant , wild turkey , wild boar . Just have to get a little closer than compound .
it’s simple and just a lot a fun . I have missed as close as 13 yards and made perfect shots out to 40 yards . You have to accept that you have limits and learn how to get close hunting situations .
Good luck in your new pursuit!!!