PDA

View Full Version : Sasauge

mrdoog
10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Why is it so many of us relegate a primo table deer to sausage status?
Think about it; most commercial sasuage is old, tough beef and pork.
Most of your sausage will have pork fat added to it.

You Hunters who are shooting spikes and 2 points, are shooting primo table bucks.
I shot a 2 point up on Dixon Mtn a week ago, there is no way in he** any of him was going into sausage.
There was very little waste off him, another bonus of butchering your own deer.
We've eaten round steaks off of him and they were awesome.
Most Pepperoni and sausage is made to give to people that don't appreciate the true delicacy of venison.
Don't be ashamed you shot a primo eating buck, your time will come when you can brag about taking a B&C counter.
In the mean time, enjoy your deer without pork fat and seasonings.

Steeleco
10-08-2007, 10:56 PM
While I agree with you, at the end of the day it's each to his/her own. I cringe when my wife puts HP on a moose steak, but she's the one eating it, not me!

RMG
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Well spoken, even the large booners can be good eatin, if their not ruttin. Even still try a chop, or roast before it gets relegated to snausages

Allen50
10-09-2007, 12:03 AM
well here is a shocker to you who think sausage is made of old meat, WRONG, sausage is made of the best meat out there, old meat goe's into mince, buger, etc, not sausage, and thoese who add pork or beef to game meat, well you should just go buy pork sausage, you want game sausage, well use only game meat, do not add pork or beef, just add your spice's and make game sausage, if you think it may be a bit dry, then learn to make good gravey, and wine sause's, that is the only way to make game sausage, well your asking how do i know well, i am a butcher for more then 10 years, and i also took a course in vancouver at school, in meat smoking, and sausage making, and this is ware you learn that the best meat from a animal goes into sausage,, i do not know why other butcher put pork or beef sausage in game meat, only to raise the price of sausage making, they charge $3.00 per lbs to make game sausage, then charge you $3.00 per lbs for pork or beef to be added, so now the cost is $6.00 bucks per lbs, and then all i here is it cost so much to make sausage, you can make your owne sausage at home, grind the meat, add the spice you like, mix well, and make it into susage paddies, you do not need casing to stuff it into, it's still sausage with out the casing.. anyway just my two cents worth into the sausage world,, just remember do you want to eat game sausage or pork sausage, or beef, cheeper to buy pork/beef sausage in the store, then adding it to your game meat,,, well to each there owne,,,, i like my game sausage,,,

Woodrow
10-09-2007, 06:28 AM
who cares how you eat it just as long as you eat it and dont waste it.

TGF
10-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I get sausage patties made from some of my meat. Then roll them into little meat balls for spaghetti or bigger balls for hamburgers, or just fried in morning with eggs. Sure is yummy.
There is always some scrap on my primo moose or deer that gets ground up so goes into hamburger, sausage and sausage patties. I'm not into ribs so I cut the meat out between ribs and put into burger....try as I might I have never shot a moose big enough to be able to make steaks out of between the rib meat.