PDA

View Full Version : Had Fun....got a little something for the Freezer too !

Will
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Well I'm back...

I awoke good and early and hit the road....made a quick u turn as I realized I might need a Rifle........idiot !

Hit the highway and several hundred dollars in fuel later(LOL!) I reached my destination. A new to me area but at the advice of a Friend I went...the map he drew me was a savior as I was driving blind...this was His Guaranteed Meat Buck haven !!! We'll see.......

Got busy upon arriving and set up my makeshift camp...there was a small skiff of snow/frost? when I arrived but it was melting quick, was mostly gone except for the shady places.

Set out for a hike to burn the rest of the day...saw Grouse after grouse after grouse....I actually began to regret bringing so much food. Coulda lived off Grouse for the duration......I however was after something a hair bigger for the freezer ! All the Birds I saw lived for another day....
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/MeatBuck07/IMG_2217.JPG

After a good hike I reached a few cuts and began to spook up does pretty much everywhere I went....even these two little Bucks..one was a 2x2 the other a small 4x4(I know my Cam sucks...sorry it's on my to get list) I was actually really tempted to take the lil 4 on the right but being my first afternoon there I passed...no rush for a MeatBuck I thought !
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/MeatBuck07/IMG_2239.JPG

The wind really started to pick up and I figured best head back to "camp" for the night......it was cozy, I slept remarkably well...funny how No kids crawling into your bed in the middle of the night will do that for you...LOL !

I did awake during the night once though...something was outside the truck, fairly close... I heard the gravel shuffle from footsteps....perhaps a Samsquantch ??? Eitherway it left quickly and I eventually went back to sleep...I wasn't about to jump outside in the dark in my skivvies and scare whatever/whomever it was ?...:shock:

I awoke to some light rain/sleet...thankfully it stopped as soon as I finished brewing up some morning Coffee.......MAN that was good stuff. Yummy !

Off I went...retracing the same walk from yesterday...after reaching the same cut I did locate 3 does feeding in the morning sun but no Bucks.

I sat for an hour then continued on my way eventually reaching another very steep cut off to my left...after glassing for about 5 minutes I heard the familiar "PPPSSSHHH ! " we've all heard I'm sure...& with that 2 does were bounding up the centre of the cut, where they came from I dunno ?...figured they must have been bedded down in the grass when I approached and remained hidden till eventually making a break for it ?

No sooner did I watch them bounding away, I noticed a good sized Deer appear on the top edge broadside about 200 meters up...I could see horns so I grabbed the binos and checked him out....Nice Big bodied Buck...3x3 for sure with some noticeable brows. I decided he was a Dandy Meat Buck, definately bigger then the Lil 4 from yesterday, so I knelt down and shouldered my rifle....settled the crosshairs just as Bartell advised me...1/3 up right behind the shoulder....Blam the 260 Barked ! but Nothing.............?

WTF ? The Buck just stood there looking at me....I had missed completely ? I thanked the God's for the clean miss (coulda been much worse...)

I cranked another shell in and this time took a real steady rest on my ars shouldered from the knee....then it dawned on me...a very steep upward angle...I guessed I'd shot over...this time I held abit lower as I've read and BLAMO ! the buck hunched up...dropped it's head took about 5 steps then face planted...he never got up !

Took me a good 10 minutes to climb the steep 200 meters but when I got up there he was right where he dropped...a better Buck then I thought, still just a 3x3 but decent and a welcomed addition to our Freezer !

One of the Fattest deer I've cut into in a long time...very healthy and certainly geared up for winter...No rut stink at all. I'm guessing several weeks away for that yet...at least up there.

For those interested the 130 TSX entered low, nailed the liver, passed through the diaphragm and clipped a lung before exiting out the offside ribs. The bullet left a decent wound channel right through and appeared to have expanded quite nicely...at any rate the buck dropped very quick ! For the second time I am truly impressed by this Little Cartridge !!!!
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/MeatBuck07/IMG_2226.JPG

I will also add this interesting part at my own expense.......most Bucks I've taken I generally refer to them with some kinda nickname...the Banana Buck, the Freakie buck, etc.etc.
This was a first for me and I hope to never experience this again...while gutting him the bladder was very FULL as in this guy hadn't pee'd for sometime...I carfully lifted it out and gently placed it along with the guts.

The hillside was very steep and I wondered why I chose to gut him on such a steep grade but did anyways.....I was pretty much finnished when I turned to get a rag from my pack...SPLOOSH !
Seems I'd stepped on the bladder and to my great Luck it burst upwards drenching my whole front with pee !!!
...as it dripped off my chin I could only chuckle at my misfortune...it would seem the Buck had the last laugh.
This fella will be forever remembered as the Pee-Pee Buck !

Now I await the Rut back Home !

Elkhound
10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
LMAO.....nice job Rick.......looks like a great buck. Congrats

daycort
10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
good read and congrats on a great 3 point. you should have bottled that pee. I here gatehouse loves that stuff. he puts it in his eyes to get a little sympathy from the ladies wherein kilts.

BigBanger
10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Awesome stories and pics
congrats

Sharkey
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I guess he did get the last word in! Nice lookin' fella too.
~D

Paulyman
10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
congratulations, That's a fine looking buck, sounds like you had a great trip except for that samssquantch

Gnarly
10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Well done!!
hope you changed your clothes before you headed home.

Allen50
10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
well you will have your rut sent on your hunting gear anyway,, nice buck,, good luck on the rut,,,

Gateholio
10-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice buck!

Careful witht he samsquantches!!:biggrin:

Sharkey
10-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah - forgot about the Samsquantch. Hope he didn't give you too much grief... Gotta love those guys...
~D

todbartell
10-08-2007, 10:35 PM
good job, that is a nice buck

Will
10-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks Folks...I figured for some snausages he'd do:wink:

As to the Samsquantch...I looked for tracks at daybreak but there was none in the semi frozen ground ??? I'm guessing a Blackbear but I still cringe at the thought of an aroused Samsquantch fogging up the outside window of the Blazer while I slept.......simply earie:-?

WoodOx
10-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Cool hunt, sounds like a fun time!

Chuck
10-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Good story & photos.....ya save those peed on clothes for next time for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Not that's an efficient hunt ,Will!:cool: You were probably back in time to watch the Survivorman marathon!

Good work!
I especially like the part about sleeping good despite not having someone crawl into your bed in the middle of the night. I can definitely relate to that. A rock in your back is a lot better than a foot in your ear!:roll:

Good eating!

SSS

3kills
10-09-2007, 05:26 AM
nice meat buck will congrats

frenchbar
10-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Great story and nice buck also Will.

BCrams
10-09-2007, 07:01 AM
good story and it looks as though it was a fun meat hunt!

NaStY
10-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Good times. Like i say to everyone i know, always an adventure.. Congrats.....

Brambles
10-09-2007, 07:25 AM
nice looking buck, great story

Phil
10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Good job on a nice buck! Congrats!

Wildman
10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Great buck! Thanks for the story.

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Nice buck Will! He will be great eating!

That samsquantch...are you sure it wasn't the guy in my avatar snooping around your camp?

Will
10-09-2007, 08:28 AM
...are you sure it wasn't the guy in my avatar snooping around your camp?
Man seeing that peer through the window would make me Shreek like a little girl.....:shock:
Best I covered my head and counted to 10....worked when I was 5:biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Man seeing that peer through the window would make me Shreek like a little girl.....:shock:
Best I covered my head and counted to 10....worked when I was 5:biggrin:

And be REALLY scared if it winks at you! :eek:

http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Photo36.jpg

Will
10-09-2007, 08:41 AM
And be REALLY scared if it winks at you! :eek:

Jeezus Murphy.........I'd never go into the Bush again:redface:

longhairmtnman
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Ain't that one of the boys from Deliverence?

Nice buck Will.

rollingrock
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice buck!

Derek_Erickson
10-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Squeal Like A Pig BOYYYY! nice goign will did you leave region three?

Will
10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Squeal Like A Pig BOYYYY! nice goign will did you leave region three?
By quite a fair margin....:wink:
Of course after weighing out the Gas Bill...I figure this Meat Buck cost about 10 dollars a LB.......:roll:
:lol:

Derek_Erickson
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
ah well at least you had fun, and got a new avatar to boot, well worth the money :eek:

Will
10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
ah well at least you had fun, and got a new avatar to boot, well worth the money :eek:
Thanks...I change the avatar up quite often.......
Ever since I learned it disturbs BigHunterFish to do so ;-)

frenchbar
10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Great avatar Will.did ya feast on any insects on your trip:wink:

smallcoho
10-09-2007, 04:32 PM
big story and nice job!!

sparkes3
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
way to go nice buck

JMac
10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Will, way to go on your deer. Sucks gettin peed on though! It's better to have it happen when they're ruttin eh!

dana
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nice Meat Buck there Will. Region 5 I presume?

Will
10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Nice Meat Buck there Will. Region 5 I presume?
Yep...actually some nice country up that way, this was my 1st trip into that region hunting, sure glad I had a few tips though;-)

gameslayer
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Congrats Will, Sounds like your buddy put you onto a good spot. Nice Buck

Will
10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Congrats Will, Sounds like your buddy put you onto a good spot. Nice Buck
Definately owe him some Steaks no doubt about it...he didn't promise me a Booner outta there but sure were lots of Lil fellas as promised:grin:

I love Oldtimers that gave up hunting but share some spots with close Buds;)

Krico
10-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I figure this Meat Buck cost about 10 dollars a LB.......:roll:
:lol:

When you sit at the table, just remind the family that they are about to eat the most expensive meat available:wink:.

Nice buck!