PDA

View Full Version : First moose... mabee too easy

Deerwhacker
10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Well off we went to go on our first moose hunt where we had leh any bull for 7-16. we had been planing this hunt for a couple of years now and we had it figured exactly where we where going to camp and spend most of our hunting efforts. Well unfortunately:tongue: our hunt dident go as planed , as we where right about exactly where we had planed on camping a 3x2 bull walks across the road and stops broadside 70 yards from the truck . Dad gets out shoves a round into his marlin guide gun 45/70 and boom! the moose ducks into the bush. I had seen that the shot was a bit high so i was rushing to get my gun unlocked and loaded up. As soon as I had walked up to where my dad was looking for the moose through the bush i see a moose head staring at me about 60 yards through the brush ,knowing that my dad had already put a bullet into the moose i took a risky quartering too shot through the brush to try to get another bullet into him,the moose then walked outa sight,we then walked down through the brush at the side of the road and down into the forest and my dad says "moose" and points to our moose 30 yards away as it appeared to lay down. I wasent sure that he had laid down due to the terrain so we approached where the moose was and then up he went ..Boom I plugged him in the lungs and he slowly collapsed to his demise. i was shooting A 300 wsm shooting 180gr tsx's and my dad was shooting his 45/70 with 500gr custom bonded bulllets.(in the pics im holding my marlin xlr as I am more comfortable with it for protection as we had seen grizzly sign 300 yards down the road).
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/PA060032.jpghttp://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/PA060026.jpg

Deerwhacker
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Because my dad took the first shot this is not only his first moose but his first animal alltogether since weve been hunting.
his first shot went through the botom edge of the spine while the risky shot i took actualy hit the moose but dident do any damage to the vitals entering in the neck and then going into the shoulder ,the final shot entered in the ribs went through the lungs and then through the shoulder and stoped at the hide on the other end.

Untouchable
10-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Congrats man, should be awesome eating!

Deerwhacker
10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Ya the thing is we where prepared to stay the week but we never even set up a camp! it was seeming too easy befour we had a trailer bearing blow and had to spend the night in clinton but it was all good cause the lordco in 100 mile had the parts we needed and after the 16 hour setback on the way home we where off and on our way back, i cant wait to bite into that moose steak.:-D

TGF
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Right on guys. Congrats. Healthy looking moose. I have a draw there starting December 1st to 7th.

Sharkey
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Great job! Love the photos. What did he dress out at?
~D

Big Bucks
10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Great job guys.

Wildfoot
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
nice job!

my first animal was a moose 70 yards away from the vehicle too haha!

Deerwhacker
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Great job! Love the photos. What did he dress out at?
~D
I cant tell ya that cause i dont got myself a scale yet,but im guessin the two halfs that i have to start butchering tomorow are around 200lbs each, certantly not the biggest moose but haveing only shot deer hes huge.

Will
10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Congrats ! :cool:

BCrams
10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Nothing like those easy moose hunts! Congrats. Next time you get the 7-16 LEH bull draw - plan on staying and hunting for the big boys.

Deerwhacker
10-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Nothing like those easy moose hunts! Congrats. Next time you get the 7-16 LEH bull draw - plan on staying and hunting for the big boys.
i wouldent mind staying longer and actualy hunting for moose, but right now im not dreaming about shooting anything bigger at least not for a while:biggrin:.we could have stayed longer if we wanted and shot another moose due to our leh not needing to be canceled out but i think one moose is more than enough work for one trip.

RMG
10-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Congrats on a great moose. I remember some of the super times I had with my dad huntin, always good ones. BTW its not too easy unless he falls on a butchers knife, and slips into the freezer all cut n wrapped up for ya. Thats the way I figure it anyhows. Way to go.

Brambles
10-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Go shoot another moose

NaStY
10-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Very nice 2 point. Im feeling like i need to go out again now.... Congrats!

Deerwhacker
10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Go shoot another moose hmmm now that all the work is pretty much done im thinking that thats not such a bad idea:biggrin:(as I type im eating moose tenderloins that im almost able to consume with a straw).

Derek_Erickson
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Good job guys big change from just shooting deer eh

martyonthewater
10-09-2007, 10:20 PM
nice young fork, tender i'm sure

Bow Walker
10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_4_145.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) Don't look a gift-moose-in-the-mouth.........the next one will most likely be on the other end of the scale.