PDA

View Full Version : New to site

#1fishslayer
10-08-2007, 08:15 PM
First thread for me. Great job guys keep up the killing. I have not had the time to get real about it ,yet. I know that the good ole 30-06 is good for deer to elk . Now Im looking at a new 300 win mag. What Im wondering is , is this too much gun for taking deer? Thanks in advance

Steeleco
10-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the site. Is a 300wm too much for deer? some say yes, may others say no. Is it too much gun for you? If not, put a quality bullet in the right spot and you'll have venison for dinner without much meat loss.

RMG
10-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Welcome again to the site. Honestly the question you should ask yourself is, Do you believe that a 300wm is too much gun for deer? If you believe it is then it is. Me I dont believe that any gun is too much for deer. Like Steeleco says, put any quality bullet in the right spot your eatin some fine grubs. Know your gun, your limitations and your target, then hunt away.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Welcome..... I personally use my 300 WM for everything now. From coyotes to Moose. If you are comfortable with your gun and can shoot it well, it will work well for you. If you make a mistake, and everybody does eventually, and hit something in the A$$, like any other high power calibers, there wont be much left...... Even less with that bad boy, than some other calibers. But boiler room hits, neck hits, head shots....... not much of a difference in damage than with the 270 from my experience, and thats just hamburger zone anyways.

On the same token, I know guys that just dont like the hit of the 300's and the like, and are not comfortable shooting them. I myself, the bigger guns dont bother me. Try to get some different calibers in your hands, shooting buddies rifles etc.... And dont let anyone tell you that you need something bigger than a 30-06. That is your decision to make.

Good luck.

MCA

longhairmtnman
10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd rather be over gunned than under gunned. Your '06 is fine, if it's a good shooter. Upgrade to .300 gives you a little better edge ballisticly, along with the recoil that goes with it!

Will
10-09-2007, 09:42 AM
First thread for me. Great job guys keep up the killing.
Welcome ! It's not "Killing" it's harvesting !.............:lol:;)

As to the 300 Mangelum....it's nothing more then an '06 with a hair more Poop........if you have the skills to put it's slightly extra reach to use then by ALL means use the 300 Mag ! but it's hardly a HUGE improvement over the '06 IMO.

FWIW: No deer I ever shot with my old 300 winnie ever complained it was too much gun :smile: