PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my child racoon.

71_camaro
02-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone?.

I'm in a situation where my boy is being fed racoon.
Is this legal?
It's by one of the biggest poachers in westbank so I
Assume as I've never heard of this and are they in season? Is it healthy is this ok.
I'm a huge hunter but know nothing about raccoons

HappyJack
02-19-2020, 07:58 PM
meat is meat....how are they cooking it?

Brew
02-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Coons are open all year round in most places. I wouldn’t eat one unless I was starving. Who is feeding your child and why are you letting them

71_camaro
02-19-2020, 08:03 PM
i dont know but why are they killing a racoon in glenrosa and eating it. is it legal and safe.

if it was a moose in nov i wouldnt ask

71_camaro
02-19-2020, 08:05 PM
shes an ex and im fighting to get him back but this seems extreme. as a teacher she makes 87k

Pauly
02-19-2020, 08:06 PM
I’d rather eat a rat lol raccoon is for those hillbilly’s across the border

Foxton Gundogs
02-19-2020, 08:13 PM
Google racoon recipes, lots out there. Nothing wrong with racoon. I have eaten it several times and am still alive. Not my idea of a delacicey but not as awful as muskrat or tuktuk.

Pauly
02-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Google racoon recipes, lots out there. Nothing wrong with racoon. I have eaten it several times and am still alive. Not my idea of a delacicey but not as awful as muskrat or tuktuk.
Lol I’m sure it’s fine .. just not my idea of a meal. I’ve had cougar and beaver though I like both of those lol

HappyJack
02-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Can't be any worse than pink clam.

twoSevenO
02-19-2020, 11:52 PM
shes an ex and im fighting to get him back but this seems extreme. as a teacher she makes 87k

Well evidence of what shes feeding him would be good for you in court.

I dont know a single parent, of sound mind, that would feed that crap to their child.

Yuck.

dracb
02-20-2020, 12:34 AM
Raccoon Roundworm

wwhat is Raccoon Roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)?
Raccoon roundworm is the infection by a roundworm called Baylisascaris procyonis carried by raccoons. This worm can infect people and a variety of other animals, including dogs. Human infections are rare, but can be severe if the worm invades the eye, organs, or the brain. People living in an area where raccoons live are at greatest risk for raccoon roundworm.

How is it spread?

Humans may be infected with raccoon roundworm after eating the eggs of this worm (Baylisascaris procyonis) passed in the feces (waste) of raccoons. Most infections are seen in children and others who may put dirt or animal waste in their mouths by mistake.

What are the symptoms?

Possible signs and symptoms of raccoon roundworm infection include nausea, tiredness, liver enlargement, loss of coordination, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of muscle control, blindness, and coma. Symptoms will develop within 1 to 4 weeks after an exposure.

How is raccoon roundworm treated?

To date, no treatments are known to be completely effective against the disease. Certain medications can help in some cases. Your healthcare provider will discuss your treatment options with you.

How can I prevent raccoon roundworm?

If raccoons are living near your home, you should carefully remove all raccoon feces and any materials that become contaminated with feces. These substances should be buried or thrown away. Care should be taken not to contaminate your hands or clothing, such as wearing rubber gloves and use a shovel while removing feces. Outdoor spaces (such as patios or porches) can be carefully cleaned with boiling water.
Do not keep, feed, or adopt wild animals, including raccoons, as pets.
Sandboxes should be covered whenever they are not in use so raccoons and other wild animals do not use them as bathrooms.

Always wash your hands after working or playing outdoors.​

Bustercluck
02-20-2020, 12:40 AM
I can't say I'd eat a city raccoon. Maybe if it was from out in the bush somewhere. The idea of eating something that feeds on garbage seems a little gross to me. Like shooting a bear at the dump.

Monashee
02-20-2020, 01:05 AM
Cats and dogs are at risk of being infected by roundworm due to their contact with raccoons and their scat and then they can pass it on to a human so i was told by a veterinarian . The vet was all for raccoons to be eliminated anywhere near people ... good luck with that .

Raccoon meat is edible and can be quite good , it depends on what they have been eating and of course if they look healthy. Cook as you would any meat as they very often have internal parasites , I would wear gloves if i skinned and gutted one . I ate raccoon meat many years ago . it was good , this was in a rural district in the fall with plenty of corn and critters to eat along a small river

338win mag
02-20-2020, 05:46 AM
Watch out for this in your boy......the mustache starts to get about 3" long, about 8 hairs on each side.... eyes get round and beady.

So long as its cooked properly, lots of people eat coon.

walks with deer
02-20-2020, 07:16 AM
hmm in reality should be fine if cooked the same as bear

sharring a child with someone and not being in the house must be the scariest thing in the world.

Hadda
02-20-2020, 07:47 AM
Seems like there must be alot more to this story.

boxhitch
02-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Everyone should try urban raccoon ....and black squirrel and pigeon and carp and resident geese and ......

whitlers
02-20-2020, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't eat one of those vermin. Legal or not, safe or not. Ewwww

Wentrot
02-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Seems like there must be alot more to this story.

always is but that doesn’t make it right for a kid to be fed trash panda.

Hadda
02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Many with strong opinions could say the same thing about bear, cougar, squirrels, and wild game. Well cooked, there's no harm. Who knows, maybe it was a one off thing. Watched meateater, decided to try something weird hahah

always is but that doesn’t make it right for a kid to be fed trash panda.

Monashee
02-20-2020, 01:34 PM
If people knew how the various animals they commonly eat were raised they might think raccoon is a whole lot better .

weatherby_man
02-20-2020, 01:59 PM
If people knew how the various animals they commonly eat were raised they might think raccoon is a whole lot better .

Yes, raised and processed. You just dont want to know a lot about things that go on in the food industry.

Jimbob
02-20-2020, 04:49 PM
I see nothing wrong with it and actually I would praise a parent for feeding their child wild game even racoon. I would be much more concerned if a parent was not allowing their child wild game meat.

I have killed and eaten frogs and turtles while running kids programs. My family has eaten squirrel on numerous occasions. Beaver is delicious. I can't wait to try cougar. Ant larva was pretty tasteless and would work in a survival situation. And of course moose/deer/bear/sheep/goat/fish are regular meals in our home.

It is so good to teach kids were their food comes from and to open them up to the multiple delights that nature offers.

So props to your ex for feeding your child racoon.

Night Hawk 3
02-20-2020, 05:06 PM
Had raccoon at a game dinner quite a few years ago at Vic Fish & Game.

Prepared properly (ie: defatted a few times) it was quite excellent. The chef that prepared all the meat was a top notch guy, very well regarded by the club.

Nothing to worry about here.

~NH3

Treed
02-20-2020, 05:15 PM
I’ve sent my kids to school with cougar sandwiches and snowshoe hare stew. If the raccoons weren’t so disgusting around my place, I’d give it a go.

Squamch
02-21-2020, 08:03 AM
Had raccoon at a game dinner quite a few years ago at Vic Fish & Game.

Prepared properly (ie: defatted a few times) it was quite excellent. The chef that prepared all the meat was a top notch guy, very well regarded by the club.

Nothing to worry about here.

~NH3

Raccoon and squirrel in Peanut sauce it was. My dad organized those dinners. I enjoyed the coon.

dracb
02-21-2020, 01:46 PM
A couple of months back I was at a breakfast meeting of trappers including a couple of nuisance animal control company owners. I asked one of them how they deal with Raccoon Roundworm. That person deals with perhaps a thousand raccoons every year. Their protocols call for separating their cage traps into raccoon traps and other traps. Raccoon traps are only used for raccoons to avoid having to use infection protocols when trapping other animals. When dealing with traps that have caught raccoons they put on suits, wear gloves and if I recall correctly they wear masks(at least while cleaning the traps). This after having cleaned and disinfected the traps after use. The clothing after use is dealt with so as to avoid bringing possible contamination into contact with their families and other employees.

The person relating this protocol made the point that there is no totally effective treatment for this ringworm infection, the infection is always fatal (unless you die of something else sooner) and that there is no commercially available test short of autopsy to identify Baylisasaris infection as the reason for the infected going blind or the various other neurological problems the infected is suffering. Diagnosis is often made by ruling out all other possibilities.

My interest in the subject was sparked by comments i heard that the 2019 BC Zoonoses Symposium about the high rate of infection in BC raccoons and that two acquaintances who deal with raccoons regularly have similar neurological issues that seem to match symptoms of Baylisasaris infection. In my reading on this subject I encountered an article in I believe "Science" that called this a hidden human parasite. It also reported that testing of 150 or so supposedly otherwise healthy people and found that 7% were infected. I do not remember how they determined the presence of infection.

My new understanding of the potential danger from this particular Zoonosis has definitely changed how I deal with raccoon issues and I was already pretty careful with regards to potential contamination from them. Certainly recognized Baylisasaris infection in humans is rare but appears to considerably more common than expected an the consequences of infection are extreme. Everybody makes their own decisions and takes their own chances but such should be based on some understanding of the risks and consequences if all goes wrong.

ElectricDyck
02-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Is this a joke? The raccoons I "relocate" (to hell) have been dining on garbage and googled they have a 30% chance of having rabies...I'll eat predators including bear and cougars but raccoons?

two-feet
02-21-2020, 08:50 PM
I would eat it. Im sure its better for you than chicken wings from 7-11

180grainer
02-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Hello everyone?.

I'm in a situation where my boy is being fed racoon.
Is this legal?
It's by one of the biggest poachers in westbank so I
Assume as I've never heard of this and are they in season? Is it healthy is this ok.
I'm a huge hunter but know nothing about raccoons
Remember the Clampits. They ate possum innards. Best cook the rabies out of them first. Then I'm sure you'd get a half a dozen guys on here saying they eat them all the time.

303savage
02-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Coons like bears can carry Trichinosis so make sure it's well done.

180grainer
02-21-2020, 10:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with it and actually I would praise a parent for feeding their child wild game even racoon. I would be much more concerned if a parent was not allowing their child wild game meat.

As long as the money that should have gone to food didn't go to meth........Which, then we might have a problem.

Monashee
02-22-2020, 02:26 AM
On Vancouver Island cougars #2 prey is raccoon .

fuzzybiscuit
02-22-2020, 06:59 AM
On Vancouver Island cougars #2 prey is raccoon .

#1 is drunk guys at 2:00am when the bar closes...

walks with deer
02-22-2020, 12:08 PM
yup eating cougars beavers.

Monashee
02-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Trichinosis = https://globalnews.ca/video/6479803/do-not-use-tapeworm-removed-from-mans-brain-after-months-of-headaches/

browningboy
02-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Man I just think how much of a hillbilly is a person to kill and eat a raccoon, out of all the food and animals available? A raccoon? Holy phuck is your wife your sister? Should be on that swamp show where they are all related! Lol
A good steak, go to the butcher shop, Costco, Safeway etc, not some diseased oversized rat! I’d expect this in China or Louisanna...

triggerhappy
02-24-2020, 01:12 PM
I got to say, I am really surprised and disappointed at how ignorant many hunters in here are about eating wild game. Just because an animal is not commonly eaten does not mean there is anything wrong with eating it. Think Bear, cougar, squirrel, etc.

Foxton Gundogs
02-24-2020, 01:29 PM
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/favorite-raccoon-recipes/

Ron.C
02-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Love this thread. Id be in for trying a meal of trash panda. Probably make some good pepperoni.

Seriously though, cant see it being much different than bear, which IMO is good eating.

IronNoggin
02-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Love this thread. Id be in for trying a meal of trash panda. Probably make some good pepperoni.

Seriously though, cant see it being much different than bear, which IMO is good eating.

I'd be willing to give it a whirl myself.
However I would be looking at it very much like bear, and avoiding any that were too close to a fish bearing water source.
Might be tricky that...

Cheers,
Nog