PDA

View Full Version : New Region - trying to decide

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-14-2020, 09:26 AM
This year, I have two main goals: Get into waterfowling and explore a new region.
For the latter, I narrowed it down to two candidates: Region 8-12/14/15, southern part closer to the border (specifics yet TBD, but likely 14), or the area around deadman valley.

Both regions are a fair drive from where I live, but, quite frankly, that's part of the appeal. Aside from weekend scouts, I am planning to take a week off in fall and drop "off the grid" on my own, maybe with a buddy. Looking for meat, don't really care about size. No matter what region I pick this year, I likely stick with it for a few years....
Other criteria are how "remote" is the area(do I have a chance of being alone for a while?) and how nice is the camping/scenery in those spots?

While I personally am starting to lean towards R14 (for no "real" reason other than Google Maps and online research), I was hoping to pick your brains and see which one you would choose given the above?

mike31154
02-14-2020, 11:42 AM
I'm somewhat north of those areas but have taken the odd drive down that way. Last fall I decided to take Osoyoos to Rock Creek, then up Hwy 33 to Kelowna. Things starting to get pretty built up in some parts. Quite an extended development seems to be going in east of Osoyoos along Hwy 3. Kelowna bursting at the seams so it's difficult to get 'remote' anywhere around there. Not saying it can't be done, but it will involve some work.

orest.06
02-14-2020, 01:27 PM
I have worked all across the southern part of those regions for years but slim pickings. Nice country but too much pressure.
Try more to the middle & northern areas.
Area 8-2 friends of mine tagged out on muledeer 2 seasons ago.

browningboy
02-15-2020, 09:27 AM
Deadman valley in 3-29/30?

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-15-2020, 09:58 AM
yes that one...

Deadman valley in 3-29/30?

walks with deer
02-17-2020, 12:38 PM
wow big differance in areas.

and species.. most prominent.

i would say they are all good areas and all have good small,large game and fishing oputtunity..

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-19-2020, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advise, both public and PM. I’ll take the advise and check out the middle/northern half of those regions instead...