PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads

Brambles
10-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Just wondering how many different broadheads you guys have tried and how the blood trail changed with different designs/brands.

I used Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts w/bleeders on my spring bear and absolutly loved the blood trail, from what I hear bears are hard to make bleed because of the hair and fat but the blood trail was horror movie material, not that i needed it, the bear went down in short order. However they arn't as easy to re-sharpen as some of the other broadheads on the market.

I hear guys saying certain broadheads don't leave enough blood but it also makes me wonder about the actual shot placement.

whats your experiances

sealevel
10-08-2007, 06:31 AM
I shot a fall corn field bear with a muzzy that sprayed blood i had no problem following the blood trail.. but neither did the grizz that eat him.
i have seen the blood trail of a bear shot with a grimreaper machanical it looked like a crime seen . same with a montec and a magnuss 4blade stinger . IMO any sharp broadhead over 11/8in that passes though the lung will leave a bood trail. certanly the wider the better. Its easy to blame a poor shot on the broadhead

Kirby
10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
IMO any sharp broadhead over 11/8in that passes though the lung will leave a bood trail. certanly the wider the better. Its easy to blame a poor shot on the broadhead

X2. It seems like that since the early 90's when i started bowhunting now bowhunters need bigger broadheads to get the job done... I've never had an issue with 1" heads, never had an issue finding the animal with 1" fixed blade heads.

Put a 1" or 7/8" head in the right spot and it'll do its job.

Kirby

Bow Walker
10-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Yup - shot placement will be the key. A slight miss with a 2" razor sharp head will not yield the results that a good hit with a 1 1/8th" head will.

Mind you, holding steady until that shot is presented is a whole other story.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-08-2007, 04:49 PM
The best results I have found ... Rocky Mtn Premieres. Rocket steelheads ....

both heads leave wicked bloodtrails when shot into the right place

pupper
10-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I have had success with montec G5;s and thunderheads. Montecs tune way better, but both leave adequate cutting swaths.
Razorcaps look like they would leave one heck of a swath through an animal but I couldnt get them to fly straight. I had an easier time with swapping blades on the thunderheads to get a tuned head.
the review I wrote on Montecs can be read here:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/index.php?function=viewarticle&categoryid=14&articleid=25

Ron.C
10-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I think any of the major broadheads will work just fine "including expandables" as long as it is razor sharp, tuned for your bow, and you hit the animal where it should be hit. As far as blood trail, I shot a doe a couple years ago from a treestand and hit it too high, The arrow exited just about mid body catching the top of both lungs. There was not a spot of blood to be found and as chance had it, we found the deer by just criss/crossing the bush, not more than 100 yards from where I shot her. The broadhead perfromed just fine, and the animal was down quickly, but it was my shot placement that resulted in a poor blood trail.

diggerpax
02-16-2008, 05:44 AM
I've shot many, many heads, but always revert back to the old muzzy for serious hunts- mostly because they have been very consistent for me. I've shot mechanicals, wasp, rocky mountain, montec, crimson talon, and many others, and haven't found a great correlation with blood trail. Shot placement of course is key as it always is. I have hit a few animals in the sweet spot and heartshot pass-throughs that didn't bleed very well. I have no idea why. One that sticks out in particular was a doe I shot from tree with a spit-fire. I hit her through the heart, and she ran full speed for 100 yards and collapsed. Not only was I shocked she made it that far, but I could not find a blood trail. My old man and I talk about that doe almost every time we follow a weak trail.

tomahawk
02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I use Thunderheads exclusively, they have preformed awesome in the animal both in busting bone and blood loss, only broke one blade inside an animal on 9 kills. However I agree with Pupper in that they are tough to tune.

sealevel
02-16-2008, 08:27 AM
I shot a small buck this last season with a magnus 4 blade stinger. The shot was high cut the iorta off the heart and the top of both lungs . There was about a dozen tiny drops of blood 50 yards from were he was hit. He only when another 50. He bled out all the blood filled up the chest cavety.

Deerwhacker
02-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I find I like spitfire expandables , for deer and bear you can use a 1"3/4 cut and itl leave all the blood trail you need and destroy an animals goddie box, I also know guys that have shot elk with the 1"1/2 cut spitfire and are very satisfied.

The Hermit
02-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I shot a bear and a whitetail last year with the Montec G5 ... blood everywhere, looked like Sweeny Todds work!

Will
02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm gonna be using Muzzy Phantoms !
Seem to fly well enough from my setup for my purposes.
I'll let you know in a couple months..........maybe:wink:

Although the Old standard Muzzy 3 bladers have been showinfg some good promise the last couple days......need more time to test both.....although no matter what I use it'll likely be a Muzzy !:smile:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/41/23/83/i412383sq03.jpg

Bow Walker
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I use the Razorcaps that Brambles alluded to in post #6. Like the Montec's they are easy to resharpen and - for me - there are no problems in tuning them. I use an arrow spinner and if the head doesn't align right, I unscrew it and re-screw it back onto the shaft then spin it again. Usually that's all it takes, although sometimes it requires swapping shafts to get a particular head to spin true.

That opens up another related subject though. Arrow building. Right from the get-go everything that is done to the shaft impacts the way it will fly out of a particular setup. Being anally careful when building arrows is something that pays dividends when the shaft is completed.

Here's a pic of the Razorcap. N.A.P.'s Hellrazor is another fixed blade head that will work as well.

First - the arrow spinner from Pine Ridge...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner.jpg

It's a take-down type, so it's easy to take-along.

The Razorcap broadhead...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/529PORRAZRC01.jpg

The Hellrazor from N.A.P...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/NAP41011_1_.jpg

Magnus SS Snuffer...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/SNUFFER-ss_1_.jpg

As you can see - the construction of all the above heads is very similar. Also very strong.

IMHO, any of the above type of BH's will serve you well, if properly tuned.

dave_fras
02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
im all about the montec g5s!.... my old man uses muzzys with his crossbow... they seem to work like a dream fom him!

diggerpax
02-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Tomahawk- The only head that I have ever broken blades on was a thunderhead too. I've bent many heads, but the thunderhead actually broke. You should try a muzzy- i've taken dozens of animals with them, and I have bent only a couple blades- if you want tough, they are so reliable. I'll be going on my second safari next year, and I'll be shooting muzzy again for sure.

diggerpax
02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Montecs are very nice too, but I throw a lot of arrows and they hit the pocket book pretty hard. I know you can resharpen them, but I have a stupid superstition about shooting the same head twice at game. I'll change blades for does or antelope, but for bigger hunts a get too anal.