PDA

View Full Version : Scope fog

JAFA
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Fellas,
I own a Bushnell Banner 3x9 x 56.

It performs very well on the range and in the field, very bright and clear, just one thing.

It fogs up on the outer part of the lenses in the rain.

What is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks,
CJ

000buck
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
send it back to bushnell after you try a GOOD anti fog solution.

Derek_Erickson
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Leupolds dont fog! well mine doesnt anyhow, thats one way to deal with it, does it say it wont fog if so, sent it back ! Whats the worse that coould happen

JAFA
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
send it back to bushnell after you try a GOOD anti fog solution.

Such as what?

CanuckShooter
10-07-2007, 09:39 PM
A few ideas:

1> take it off and use open sights
2> don't hunt in the rain
3> us flip up covers to protect lenses from the rain
4> go to your local ski shop and buy an anti-fog cloth they sell for goggles

000buck
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Such as what?

Fine optics require fine opticians ...to an eye glasses place and see whAT they have to offer also scuba places or good ol spit (and a soft cloth to wipe off with)

RMG
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Such as what?

Try 2oz white vinegar, 1 quart hot water. Mix and apply using a lint-free cloth to scope, car windshield, eye glasses, etc. Works for me.

If that don't work try No-Foggn-Way, should be able to find it at the snowmobile dealer for visors, eyeglasses, and such. See-Spray by Amway also works very well.

Derek_Erickson
10-07-2007, 09:53 PM
And if your still stuck get a leupold!:lol:

chevy
10-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I have got a leupold 3.5-10 VXiii scope and it fogs up pretty good in the rainy type weather i have tried anti fogs but they dont work so just carry around a good lint free cloth and hope for the best while i am out hunting

Steeleco
10-07-2007, 10:00 PM
By outer part do you mean the objective lens? (fwd part) and if so is the fog on the inside or the outside? If it's on the inside, it's in need of warranty work, that said the Banner isn't one of Bushnell's top lines and likely may not be worth fixing. Bushnell have been known to offer you a new one at a discount price to replace it.

Get a Leupold!!!

chevy
10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
oops sorry guys my fog is on the outer part the my leupold scope and it is only a year old but i manage to make it work with a cloth

Steeleco
10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Chevy, if your scope is that new and threaded front and rear, look for a rain coat kit for it. I got one for my 3x9x40. It got a real workout today, no fog no problem!!

Gun Dog
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Stop breathing on your scope. Fog will only form if the scope is colder than the moist air around it.

Lil Buck
10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Get rid of it and get a leupold or a sworovski....
Never had problem with mine....

lb:biggrin:

Spitzer
10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I've been fighting the fog the last couple weeks, it's been cold and raining. Most outer lens will fog up in these conditions unless they have some sort of "Rainguard"/like coatings.
I've been using Bushnell Legend binos for the past four years or so and they have "Rainguard" coatings, they're pretty fog resistant. On the other hand, I bought top of the line Zeiss FL's which don't have "Rainguard" coatings and the outside fogs up easily, and pisses me off to no end. You can have the best optics in the world and it won't matter when they're fogged up.
I am now looking for anti-fog products like Aquaseal sea gold or something like that.

Elkhound
10-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Fine optics require fine opticians ...to an eye glasses place and see whAT they have to offer

This is the best advice on here.

martyonthewater
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
my vari-xll gets fogged up at occular end , I have tried a couple of anti-fogs with limited succes. find spot of dishsoap the best