PDA

View Full Version : Beyond The Kill video series

pg83
02-01-2020, 03:21 PM
I was fortunate to be a part of a couple of elk hunts last season with the Journal of Mountain Hunting crew.

A 6 part video series was created from these hunts that will hopefully push the needle in the right direction when it comes to hunting. The first episode was released on Thursday, there will be a new episode released each week.

I hope you enjoy!

I would have embedded the videos, but personally believe it's better watched in full screen.

Episode 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlSCy0LLd1M

Episode 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKWP5gv5vnc

Episode 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fk4mv3Kp4k&t=54s

Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXn-9GJvSwQ

Episode 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_eXPTRMzQ&t=5s

Episode 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTZeHozEYw

LBM
02-01-2020, 05:08 PM
looks good so far, will check in for part 2

srthomas75
02-01-2020, 06:32 PM
i just watched. Like what I see so far. are you going to post the future videos on this thread?

pg83
02-01-2020, 11:10 PM
I can do that. Won't be right on schedule as I'll be goat hunting in mid-Feb.

dru88
02-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the link the first episode was good looking forward to the next.

Springer
02-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Excellent Job, Looking forward to more. Nice to watch a Vid without piles of advertising.

HunterChef
02-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I was also lucky enough to be part of the second hunt. Excited to see the finished product!

knothead
02-02-2020, 09:47 AM
You guys are killing it. Love your work.

charlie_horse
02-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Great so far!

IronNoggin
02-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Off to a fine start. Will be watching for the next...

BTW though - your hat is on backwards... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

silveragent
02-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Well done. This would draw in a lot of bros. (not a bad thing for the sport)

barongan
02-05-2020, 11:26 AM
great job, thanks for sharinghttps://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

Talltimber1
02-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Awesome. Shared with my elk hunting buddies

Scance
02-05-2020, 07:45 PM
appreciate you sharing that, thanks for keeping it real.

pg83
02-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Episode 2 is live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKWP5gv5vnc

silveragent
02-06-2020, 12:55 PM
good stuff

Red_Mist
02-06-2020, 01:12 PM
well put together. thanks for sharing.... and promoting hunting in a positive light.

Razor84
02-06-2020, 05:04 PM
I dig the content, even if it's a bit amateur noob hunting. We all have to start somewhere!

pg83
02-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Episodes 3 and 4 are up.

Links are in the first post.

02-20-2020, 10:20 AM
Wicked series....
How big was the Bull buddy Missed?

pg83
02-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Wicked series....
How big was the Bull buddy Missed?

Similar size, if not bigger than the one we killed.

simonvancouver
02-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Top work guys,

02-21-2020, 08:43 AM
ooooooooo........ bet it was hard for him to sleep that night!

pg83
02-28-2020, 05:20 PM
Episode 5 is live! Big bull down.

Edit: link in OP

LBM
02-28-2020, 06:49 PM
Congrats Great bull and that is some thick nasty stuff, and as mentioned pretty cool to be seeing elk bears and goats. So is that a bullet hole (chip) in the base of the left antler/first tine.

pg83
02-28-2020, 07:34 PM
Congrats Great bull and that is some thick nasty stuff, and as mentioned pretty cool to be seeing elk bears and goats. So is that a bullet hole (chip) in the base of the left antler/first tine.

Good eye. Pretty sure Nolan just wanted to make the bull a little more unique:lol:

NorthCoastHunter
02-29-2020, 12:38 AM
Mid feb goat hunting you say... I think I know where you guys were....

huntcoop
02-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Awesome filming and editing. They just need to be longer videos, like a few hours :lol: leaves ya wanting more!

top_gun223
03-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Very good videos. Thanks for posting

stosto
03-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Good efforts no doubt and enjoyable to watch, but can you describe the decisions to hunt in such large numbers? Why and why not at least break out into smaller groups? Cheers

pg83
03-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Good efforts no doubt and enjoyable to watch, but can you describe the decisions to hunt in such large numbers? Why and why not at least break out into smaller groups? Cheers

Great question and to be completely honest it's something we struggled with on both hunts.

Chalk it up to the downside of filming a hunt. On the Koots trip we split up more than we showed but it made no difference to the hunt or story. On the Rosie trip, we were all-in on Nolan's tag and no one wanted to miss out on seeing that go down considering the potential of the area.

leftfield
03-04-2020, 12:10 PM
I would love to see the last part of this series, you know...the beyond the kill part where we all know the other part of the job is in the recovery and pack out as well as a cold beer at the end of it. Did you guys video that and will it be shown at another time. Great work btw

pg83
03-04-2020, 06:16 PM
I would love to see the last part of this series, you know...the beyond the kill part where we all know the other part of the job is in the recovery and pack out as well as a cold beer at the end of it. Did you guys video that and will it be shown at another time. Great work btw

Stay tuned for the finale tomorrow!

leftfield
03-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Can't wait!

Treed
03-04-2020, 11:10 PM
Sorry, couldn’t get past the first 3 minutes. You managed to create an air of exclusivity in the first few frames and I didn’t buy the dialogue. I know it was probably heart felt but it was stereotypical ‘I’m so connected’ new age hunter babble. We may feel it but to express it so it’s believed is really hard. I’ll try again when I’m not feeling so pissed off.

03-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Treed, I totally understand what your saying. To be clear I loved the video.... But I understand what Treed is saying. I think that aspect is one we need in videos but it also is one that could be hard to Script without it looking scripted.
To be fair, if you left that part out and just filmed "The trophy" you will get flack for being an evil trophy hunter. As well, the title "Beyond The Hunt" Implies that these parts will be in it,,, because those reasons really arte why we are there!

Regardless, I watched it this am over coffee and liked it. That really is a smoker bull!
And to the filmer guys,,,,,, Spring is coming... Maybe a "Journal of a River fisherman" in the making?

dapesche
03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Sorry, couldn’t get past the first 3 minutes. You managed to create an air of exclusivity in the first few frames and I didn’t buy the dialogue. I know it was probably heart felt but it was stereotypical ‘I’m so connected’ new age hunter babble. We may feel it but to express it so it’s believed is really hard. I’ll try again when I’m not feeling so pissed off.

I felt the same way.
Felt a bit contrived. Bit of arrogance mixed in.
Seemed like one guy was trying to dictate the hunt when he wasn't the tag holder.
Obviously you see little pieces of the hunt and not the full story.

Tons of effort to put that sort of thing together so good on them.

Jimbob
03-05-2020, 09:05 AM

With everything you have to be willing to listen, making up your mind in the first three minutes is not really giving the story teller much of a chance. Sometimes you have to hear people out to actually get a good understanding of what they are saying.

There were aspects of the videos I didn't like and there were comments that maybe turned me off or left me wondering BUT episode 6 was AWESOME. It really concluded the hunt and summarized the message the boys were trying to get across. WELL DONE!

pg83
03-05-2020, 09:07 AM
The final episode is live, link in OP.

Appreciate all the feedback!

45freezer
03-05-2020, 10:00 AM
The final episode is live, link in OP.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Oooh boy, gonna be a long day at the office now...looking forward to cracking a cold one and taking that in this evening, it's been well put together so far in my opinion. I think it's easy to sound cliche when describing how much more there is to a hunt than simply taking an animals life, I far prefer that to 5 minutes of someone telling me how hard it is to hunt over a bait pile, 4 slow motion kill shot replays and another 5 minutes of talking about inches and scores any day though.

Seeker
03-05-2020, 11:06 AM
This video serves two purposes. 1) Education to the non hunter and 2) Entertainment for the hunter.

Take it as it is and get out of it what you want. I agree with almost all the points on here, but I never felt the need to come on here and tell someone what I felt were the negatives. It takes a ton of work to put something like that together and to commitment to not only the difficult hunt, but also the film making and editing. It was pure entertainment to me and I commend the makers of the video. A job well done. Congrats on the hunt, the harvest and enjoy the life long friendships.

labguy
03-05-2020, 11:18 AM
As with everything there are going to be differing opinions coming from different personal experience and background.

Ive been on many epic hunting adventures starting 65 plus years ago when I was 5 years old and here is my take:

Overall, I thought the series captured the essence of what it takes, physically and mentally, to accomplish what was accomplished. The other aspects from preparation to completion, including the beach feast in the last episode, should bring a better understanding of what hunting is really about from people who have never done it.

This is the type of image going foreward that hunters will need to convey to the non hunting public if this activity is to survive in any meaningful way.

Well done.

todbartell
03-05-2020, 11:34 AM
I watched them all, the last video was indeed the best of the bunch. Next year we needs more NMO and less Janke

backcountry99
03-05-2020, 01:55 PM
Wow, all were good videos but episode 6 was unreal!

I’ve been hunting my whole life and back pack hunting for over 20 yrs but that last video made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.......well done boys, well done !!!

backcountry99
03-05-2020, 01:56 PM
As with everything there are going to be differing opinions coming from different personal experience and background.

Ive been on many epic hunting adventures starting 65 plus years ago when I was 5 years old and here is my take:

Overall, I thought the series captured the essence of what it takes, physically and mentally, to accomplish what was accomplished. The other aspects from preparation to completion, including the beach feast in the last episode, should bring a better understanding of what hunting is really about from people who have never done it.

This is the type of image going foreward that hunters will need to convey to the non hunting public if this activity is to survive in any meaningful way.

Well done.

This is so true!

silveragent
03-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Just finished all the episodes. Good work. Even beyond the actual effort of hunting I know the production is a ton of work that people who don't do video have difficulties understanding.

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks for the hard work!

nature girl
03-05-2020, 08:41 PM
I really liked it. Hard work pays off.

leftfield
03-07-2020, 11:00 AM
I liked it and for the most part found it well done. I think we all like to see success in a hunt but it doesn't always happen. As well hunting with a group of people that you are unfamiliar with can be weird and can seem disjointed when it's all caught on camera for all to see. Also I think we all get a little introspective when we have to think and describe something we love to do and maybe it could come out sound a little contrived at times but in this case I think these individual interviews were heartfelt. Anyways just my two cents, I'd watch another series if you forced me a little lol.

trowt
03-07-2020, 11:30 AM
awesome series. what a hogggg of a rosie!

my only comment being i would never take the rack out before all the meat...

keep these vids coming!

silveragent
03-07-2020, 11:35 AM
It takes time for someone to come off like Steve Rinella who has wisdom to share but also seems very genuine and natural. For all we know Rinella and his team use dozens of takes and leaves hundreds of hours of outtakes and we just see the best stuff. Lots of people have the background but just don't have what it takes to be on the camera and similarly lots of people are great in front of the camera but have nothing to say.

Videos like this have to tell a story where the outcome isn't decided. One thing I really respect about Rinella's series is that he embraces failure and the lessons of the hunt. Many other shows have successful hunts every episode and it gives people are terrible idea about the goals of hunting. How many of us only celebrate success on social media and post nothing when skunked.

rageous
03-07-2020, 11:59 AM
Well put silveragent. I enjoyed watching the episodes even tho not all is what is appears.

leftfield
03-07-2020, 12:24 PM
This forum doesn't have a like/agree button so "like"

It takes time for someone to come off like Steve Rinella who has wisdom to share but also seems very genuine and natural. For all we know Rinella and his team use dozens of takes and leaves hundreds of hours of outtakes and we just see the best stuff. Lots of people have the background but just don't have what it takes to be on the camera and similarly lots of people are great in front of the camera but have nothing to say.

Videos like this have to tell a story where the outcome isn't decided. One thing I really respect about Rinella's series is that he embraces failure and the lessons of the hunt. Many other shows have successful hunts every episode and it gives people are terrible idea about the goals of hunting. How many of us only celebrate success on social media and post nothing when skunked.