PDA

View Full Version : Elk down

Hagen
10-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Well i took a day off of work to go hunting and camping this weekend and make an extended trip of it. Hiked around for probably 3 hours in the morning staurday and went out again for the evening. My buddy told me to meet him at a certain place at dark and he'd give me a lift back to camp. hiked around the hillside for a while and started making my way back to the rendezvous about a hour before dark, twenty minutes later i spot my elk as i was walking the road back. dropped to one knee and my cow (leh) hadnt seen me. continued walking towards me and turned broadside at about 70 yards i'm guessing. easy shot right? i put one into her and she just stood there like nothing happend then walked off about 30 yards and turned again, BAM! put another one in her and she flinched then ran off. I took off after her and found blood, but not much of it. after about 1/2 hour of rearching and another 20 or so by flashlight, i realize i'm missing my ride to camp, and am wandering around in the woods in the dark. I figure, i'm just wasting my flashlight in the dark and head back

My buddy decided to hunt elsewhere ( i had said not a big deal if i get a ride or not) so i walked the 4 clicks back to camp. and met him there. we went for another looksee in the dark, but decided at this point we would have to look in the morning. I must admit it was with somewhat a heavy heart returning to camp that night. So the next day you can imagine my releif when i found her after only about 15 minutes of searching, she made it about another 1/4 k from where i shot her( i still cant beive i found her that quick, that far from where she was shot). we managed to get the quad back to her and got her to the road and back to camp, skinned her, and off to the butcher. I dont know if she moved at the last second or I pulled my shot, but I put one of the shots in her guts:oops:, cant say i feel good about that. I only hope she didnt suffer too much, but am thankful i managed to find her. This is only my third critter and it is my first elk, Ive never had one run so far before this. My first deer went 50 yards if that, and the second was a bang flop. These are just tough animals i guess.

Oh well, back to camp now!

model88
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Congrats on the fine eatin, glad you found her. Makes for a long sleepless night eh.

Th0r
10-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Great that u found her. Congrats and enjoy!

LOC
10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Sweet! You should post a pic or two up, also more stories about what else was dropped during the weekend (eh Pogue).

Husky7mm
10-09-2007, 12:31 PM
4 k's is a long walk after shooting an animal. Were you camped in the trench or in the mountians?

Will
10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Congrats on the Elk & on the recovery. Nice :grin: