PDA

View Full Version : Winter whitetail

Pauly
01-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Now that the mule deer are on the winter range I’ve taken to sledding into some whitetail areas to see how things are doing. So far I found plenty around Dardanelles lake area and the long lake road past Edith lake. Chris creek area is spotty has been for a few years now but they are still around. Laclejune area has quite a few scattered all over the place in pockets. Not many sightings around Roche this winter but they tend to yard in different areas. Anyway that’s some good scouting for next year. Mule deer winter range is occupied numbers don’t look half bad. Will be checking out heffely Louis creek area on the weekend maybe work my way over to Prichard area whitetail are doing good over that way but in pockets this year not so wide spread.

tachi
01-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Now that the mule deer are on the winter range I’ve taken to sledding into some whitetail areas to see how things are doing. So far I found plenty around Dardanelles lake area and the long lake road past Edith lake. Chris creek area is spotty has been for a few years now but they are still around. Laclejune area has quite a few scattered all over the place in pockets. Not many sightings around Roche this winter but they tend to yard in different areas. Anyway that’s some good scouting for next year. Mule deer winter range is occupied numbers don’t look half bad. Will be checking out heffely Louis creek area on the weekend maybe work my way over to Prichard area whitetail are doing good over that way but in pockets this year not so wide spread.

Thanks for info.

walks with deer
01-20-2020, 10:52 PM
sweet so your making paths for the predators to travel on...... the whitetails are having a hard go ...the snow is deep and the layer of ice has been cutting them..

notyalc
01-20-2020, 11:41 PM
sweet so your making paths for the predators to travel on...you are a idiot... The whitetails are having a hard go you undereducated baffoon..the snow is deep and the layer of ice has been cutting them..

ban snowmobiles!!!!

twoSevenO
01-21-2020, 12:00 AM
sweet so your making paths for the predators to travel on...you are a idiot... the whitetails are having a hard go you undereducated baffoon..the snow is deep and the layer of ice has been cutting them..

someone sounds a little butt hurt. Did he disclose your favorite lake? lol

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 12:08 AM
nope just sick of sledders opening up predator highways. very tough conditions for deer the last three weeks.

cameron0518
01-21-2020, 12:50 AM
Please give more updates. Too many hunters in the areas that I hunt.

LBM
01-21-2020, 06:41 AM
nope just sick of sledders opening up predator highways. very tough conditions for deer the last three weeks.

Was going to mention the same thing, but it gets old listening to the responses from people that are not actually even out there and seeing what goes on.
The same as in the predator thread Xlcc even mentions how hard it is for the ungulates in the deep snow yet he continues to skidoo all around breaking
trails for the wolves, quit likely causing the death of more ungulates then he thinks he is saving by shooting a wolf, but all people see is how great it is
that he shot a wolf.
Humans are the biggest cause of the decline to our ungulate population.

rageous
01-21-2020, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the update Pauly.
Don’t forget to pack a gun for all those predators that are around.

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 07:53 AM
sounds op has been riding through mule deer winter range aswell... congrats you can find some deer in febuary...making predator ice highways is not helping game.

horshur
01-21-2020, 08:38 AM

Deer are not that stressed..they came into winter in good shape..fat due to wet summer mild fall and late snow . Gone into winter the best shape for years . As well the deer use the sled track too..it saves them energy just the same...

Pauly
01-21-2020, 09:00 AM
I keep my sled to the already open roads and snowshoe into likely looking deer winter range. Not seeing many coyote this year numbers are down I think the wolves are keeping them in check

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2020, 10:05 AM
sounds op has been riding through mule deer winter range aswell... congrats you can find some deer in febuary...making predator ice highways is not helping game.

Just like the cat hunters do every year.

139grainsofhell
01-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Never hunted there but I will try it this year.sounds like a good spot

Ourea
01-21-2020, 10:59 AM
Just like the cat hunters do every year.

Cat hunters and guides can lay out well over 100 kms of track in a full day on their sleds.
Here we are busting a guys balls for scouting and learning his local deer herds and sharing his intel.

There are countless sledders out ripping it up yet HBC picks on an outdoor enthusiast that is part of our community.
Once again tribalism at its finest.
Brutal

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 11:15 AM
bullshit at least the cat hunters and guides are killing cats... and know deep snow icy conditions.

Bubbacanuck
01-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Hey Pauly, don't listen to the haters. Get outside and enjoy the wilderness. Haters will hate. This is why so many others don't bother posting on this site anymore. Everyone is holier than holy and think their shit don't stink.

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 12:11 PM
great post from pitt meadows...i am sure your two weekends a year in region three has way better insite than someone who lives on acreage in the mountains above kamloops..

Pauly
01-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Lol I don’t worry about the haters at all they are what they are, their point of view comes from lack of experience or knowledge. Any how I think if the weather holds the herds will be fine. Hopefully the hard crust doesn’t take its toll to badly. But that’s nature just have to work with it.

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 12:53 PM
pauly...

do yourself phone the regional bioligist and ask him what he thinks....
also maybe do a search effects of snowmobiles on winter range...there are many case studies...

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 12:53 PM
i see it first hand...yearly..

Timbow
01-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Oh for f#$& sakes, really? Not much to complain about at the local Timmy’s? I use to use a sled to layout roads and blocks now I use them to ice fish and hunt predators.

Am I allowed to ice fish using a sled for access? Are various forestry agencies allowed to use them? Trappers? Get the point.

There are much bigger problems with wildlife today than someone enjoying the outdoors

Pauly
01-21-2020, 01:01 PM
pauly...

do yourself phone the regional bioligist and ask him what he thinks....
also maybe do a search effects of snowmobiles on winter range...there are many case studies...
Maybe I am a biologist???

Pauly
01-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Did I say anywhere that I’m running my sleds off road?? Hmmm can you even read?

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 01:03 PM
buy delibertley harrassing them on there winter range in deep snow with a layer of ice??? lies my issue.

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 01:04 PM
i doubt your a wildlife bioligist...

Pauly
01-21-2020, 01:04 PM
I was thinking of chasing bucks on my sled and hoping their horns fall off so I can collect them. It’s all the rage I highly recommend it.

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 01:06 PM
greasing up and flattening any low elevation snow pack makes highways for the predators.

notyalc
01-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Go out and explore anywhere the hell you want on your sled and ignore these doorknobs, they’re just getting cabin fever and have run out of transgender rallies to attend.

Pauly
01-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Lol no shit!! Hey walks with deer you do realize that predators have to eat as well right?

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 01:11 PM
yup absoloutley they do but we do not need to help them...you are creating a edge effect which can wipe out pockets of game..

Dannybuoy
01-21-2020, 01:19 PM
Right on Pauly ...

Dannybuoy
01-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Oh for f#$& sakes, really? Not much to complain about at the local Timmy’s? I use to use a sled to layout roads and blocks now I use them to ice fish and hunt predators.

Am I allowed to ice fish using a sled for access? Are various forestry agencies allowed to use them? Trappers? Get the point.

There are much bigger problems with wildlife today than someone enjoying the outdoors

Go out and explore anywhere the hell you want on your sled and ignore these doorknobs, they’re just getting cabin fever and have run out of transgender rallies to attend.
Gotta agree with these guys

Bubbacanuck
01-21-2020, 02:05 PM
great post from pitt meadows...i am sure your two weekends a year in region three has way better insite than someone who lives on acreage in the mountains above kamloops..

You seem to know all! glad you know where and when I hunt. Guess I better bow down to you since you are king for living in Kamloops lol. seems everyone on this string is singing the same tune but you...

albravo2
01-21-2020, 03:09 PM
I was thinking of chasing bucks on my sled and hoping their horns fall off so I can collect them. It’s all the rage I highly recommend it.

Dude, this seriously made me laugh out loud. I think you're handling a bit of trolling like a champ. I think you should consider changing your username to "sleds with deer". LOL!

Ron.C
01-21-2020, 03:11 PM
I think you should consider changing your username to "sleds with deer". LOL!

Now thats funny :lol:

Ourea
01-21-2020, 03:35 PM
bullshit at least the cat hunters and guides are killing cats... and know deep snow icy conditions.

Buddy guides for cats.
He puts in up to 8 hrs per day over the course of a hunt ripping around on his sled.
That's not bullshit walks with deer....thats just the game.

Cat guides and cat hunters on sleds....good thing.
Anyone else......bad thing.
Come on man.....

walks with deer
01-21-2020, 04:08 PM
yes agreed cat hunters are a good thing.

Pauly
01-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Now thats funny :lol:
Sleds with deer.. I like it lol it’s my white man native name lol I got a friend called drives for moose as well lol

RackStar
01-21-2020, 06:25 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVY3gjr4oHs

once the roads are in, the damage is done. Although sledding doesn’t help

Dannybuoy
01-21-2020, 06:44 PM
Yea , I m not buying what that guy is saying .....he always seems to have an angle ...

RackStar
01-21-2020, 07:42 PM
What’s the angle? Assuming your talking about the video...

I thought it makes perfect sense?

01-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Great video by Mr. Isdahl.

358mag
01-21-2020, 08:21 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVY3gjr4oHs

once the roads are in, the damage is done. Although sledding doesn’t help
Yes bang on Pro Guide Steve ,you hit the nail on the head .

358mag
01-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Yea , I m not buying what that guy is saying .....he always seems to have an angle ...
Please Dannybuoy , what angle ? Were waiting .

Huntingtyler123
01-21-2020, 08:25 PM
Pro guide is the best at describing everything wrong in BC. Very knowledgeable guy, no BS attitude

RackStar
01-21-2020, 09:14 PM
I have great respect for how much time and energy Steve donates for the betterment of BC WILDLIFE. Full of knowledge and willing to share/help others be successful. I see no angle...

HarryToolips
01-21-2020, 09:20 PM
Good to hear that overall your seeing good numbers of whitetail...I haven't been on my traditional winter whitetail range much, but the mulies seem to be doing well, and with the high snowpacks they're coming right down into residential neighbourhoods...and seeing good numbers of moose....

Pauly
01-21-2020, 09:29 PM
Good to hear that overall your seeing good numbers of whitetail...I haven't been on my traditional winter whitetail range much, but the mulies seem to be doing well, and with the high snowpacks they're coming right down into residential neighbourhoods...and seeing good numbers of moose....
Yeah it’s looking not to bad at all. Hit and miss in some places but that’s to be expected. I was out looking at skamana lk area today used to be lots of whitetail in the bottom valley but no deer left at all now. They logged heavy above and behind the lake removed all that nice cedar and hemlock cover. I think with timber supply shortages the only wood left is on mule winter range and they’re logging that hard right now. I only look and hunt areas logged 25 to 30 years ago now. Cover is thick and a forest again. Keeps the preds at bay

Dannybuoy
01-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Please Dannybuoy , what angle ? Were waiting .
Sorry to keep you waiting , had other things to do ..... that guy's angle is getting people to buy to what he is selling . It's called promotion . I am not against it ... it's free enterprise and there are plenty of people willing to buy ...

walks with deer
01-22-2020, 12:53 AM
again people are missing the effects of whats going on proguide doesnt care about the money..he cares about game...if you think i care someone calls out one of my deer pockets i could care less they will not likely kill one of the deer i am after anyway...but i do take issue to them opening up there yards to predation.

walks with deer
01-22-2020, 01:05 AM
You seem to know all! glad you know where and when I hunt. Guess I better bow down to you since you are king for living in Kamloops lol. seems everyone on this string is singing the same tune but you...

no bow down required guranteed i am close. i am pro cat hunters patrolling deer yards.. but you sir clearly do not watch with eyes open. and feet on the ground..please enjoy your time in the lower mainland.

walks with deer
01-22-2020, 01:06 AM
when i say pro not meaning me..supportive of the hunt

Huntingtyler123
01-22-2020, 07:51 AM
Sorry to keep you waiting , had other things to do ..... that guy's angle is getting people to buy to what he is selling . It's called promotion . I am not against it ... it's free enterprise and there are plenty of people willing to buy ...

he never asks for money... or subscribers.. he does what he does for the game populations and the politicians that have their thumbs up their asses. He’s giving knowledge to the people so WE can help make a difference/impact.

RackStar
01-22-2020, 07:54 AM
What’s this thread about again? Lol

whognu
01-22-2020, 08:36 AM
What’s this thread about again? Lol

i believe it started as one fellows' mid winter game report on the health of various ungulate herds and morphed into the morality of disturbing already stressed populations
on their winter range where by doing so provides additional access for predators to eat said populations

your basic vicious circle

whognu

wideopenthrottle
01-22-2020, 08:48 AM
like in quantum mechanics.....you can not observe something without causing an effect on it....

i believe it started as one fellows' mid winter game report on the health of various ungulate herds and morphed into the morality of disturbing already stressed populations
on their winter range where by doing so provides additional access for predators to eat said populations

your basic vicious circle

whognu

Bugle M In
01-22-2020, 11:41 AM
You know, I get the "moratlity" comments.
Unfortunately, at the expense of a "hbc member" taking "his time" to "share to everyone" as to his experiences.
Thanks Pauly.

As to the morality and making trails, I get it....BUT.....
Would this really be an issue IF THE MINISTRY would actually IMPLEMENT A PROVINCE WIDE CULL????

There are lots of folks with skidoo's.
Tons of them in Alberta.
Lots of trails from lots of users, even cross country skiers etc.
Not just Pauly!

So, if we are going to worry about trails in the back country being super paths for wolves to use to hunt more efficiently:
THEN, either you implement a "province wide back country ban" to EVERYONE during the winter months...OR...
You implement a WOLF CULL.

Those are the only 2 choices I can see.
So....pick one!!!!!!

Ron.C
01-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately, at the expense of a "hbc member" taking "his time" to "share to everyone" as to his experiences.
Thanks Pauly.

Would this really be an issue IF THE MINISTRY would actually IMPLEMENT A PROVINCE WIDE CULL????

Tons of them in Alberta.
Not just Pauly!

So, if we are going to worry about trails in the back country being super paths for wolves to use to hunt more efficiently:
THEN, either you implement a "province wide back country ban" to EVERYONE during the winter months...OR...

So....pick one!!!!!!

great post !!!!

Downtown
01-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Thanks Pauly.

Tons of them in Alberta.
Not just Pauly!

So....pick one!!!!!!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Darksith
01-22-2020, 01:56 PM
What are you Jelvis re incarnate? Good thing my WT spot isn't on the list, would make me have to find a new spot! WT on long lake road to edith? Never have I seen them, but why aren't you coyote hunting the sage?

RackStar
01-22-2020, 02:15 PM
What about skuakum mnt, 8 mile rd, long lake rd, rossmoore lake, stump lake, bonepart, 70 mile, helmer rd,

are those any of your spots?

Who cares if someone writes your spot on the internet. White tails are no hidden unicorn. You can tell 80% of the people on there a white tail spot and they will go there, come back and tell you there’s no whiteys there.

ive got trophy bucks 1 min drive from my door , but have I ever seen a white tail in person near my house? Even a doe? Nope

Pauly
01-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Good whitetail behind Edith lake or hull lake. Unfortunately gate is locked now so it’s tough access but we come in the back way off the goose lake road and a few other roads up the highway. Back side of rossmoore lk has whitetail as well and the back side of the old laclejune burn has them. Surrey Sussex good whitetail at times first road to the left after you go under the highway.

Pauly
01-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Well I was out chasing bucks down on my sled today managed to grab a few by the horns and come away with some good sheds. I made some awesome predator highways into the deer range because they have to eat as well. But the best part of my weekend was chasing coyotes down on the ice and blasting them with my potato gun!!! Got some great fur and sold the meat to a local restaurant.. you anti hunters can’t accuse me of just shooting something for it’s fur!!! Next weekend I’m thinking of dynamiting some fish at one of the local lakes get my smoker fired up . Any how stay tuned for next weeks report .. how to poach moose with a 223 and a folding knife.

HarryToolips
01-27-2020, 09:12 PM
^^^^^lol.............

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 08:22 AM
masking your true lack of respect for nature with sarcaismn..

ghunter4x4
01-29-2020, 08:35 AM
Great work Pauly keep at it. All while pounding back a 24 of beer and 40oz of whiskey I am sure.

Pauly
01-29-2020, 10:13 AM
masking your true lack of respect for nature with sarcaismn..
You mean sarcasm? You spell like Donald trump does lol
you should come hunting with me some time we can grab a 24 and drive around you can hop in the box of my truck and pound on the roof when you see something or anything we can shoot!!

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 07:04 PM
okay better challenge for you...i am signed up for feb 20 trappers coure $450 dollars i will pay for half yours if you take the course and provide your accomadation if you take the course and use some of that energy on snares.

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 07:14 PM
not kidding you want to sles around winter range lets kill some dogs...i got two on my wat home from the hospital saturday...on a sled trail...i will even show you some deer\moose pockets but lets kill dogs.

Pauly
01-29-2020, 08:05 PM
I’m not a fan of trapping my friend it’s cruel and barbaric behaviour and severely depletes our predator populations. We need to think about preservation. Must maintain the balance. But hey knock yourself out and good luck with the course. Although I do have to say you strike me as the curl up on the couch with a glass of wine to watch broke back mountain and shed a few tears kinda person. Not that theirs anything wrong with that �� see now nobody can accuse me of being Unsupportive

Pauly
01-29-2020, 08:12 PM
Sorry about being a bit of a troll but I can’t stand your type , you know very little. You should take more time to listen instead of criticizing others. If you want to criticize keep it to back packs and scent control ect at least it’s something we all do. Should not be attacking other members for sledding or the way they hunt or fish. As long as it’s legal then who cares .... right?

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 08:33 PM
you are a uneducated tit in regards to wildlife who's parents where probably siblings and brothers.

if i see you sledding in winter ranges without doing pred control i gurantee you sidewall flats on your truck. and called in for harrasment of wildlife.

i hope your not really that stupid and just on a troll with your op... i see your jokes just trying to cover how dumb you actually are..

i killed two dogs and a cat this week all walking sled trails..open your eyes bud. your making highways..

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 08:34 PM
i have no more energy for you.......

walks with deer
01-29-2020, 08:35 PM
cant fix imbred stupid.

Pauly
01-29-2020, 08:40 PM
cant fix imbred stupid.
You got a pretty mouth.. te he lol I’m glad your done or out of energy . Which is it? I’m confused must be my inbred brain .

Pauly
01-29-2020, 08:43 PM
I think your one good cry away from being a woman lol

Muliechaser
01-29-2020, 08:50 PM
if i see you sledding in winter ranges without doing pred control i gurantee you sidewall flats on your truck. and called in for harrasment of wildlife.

Now now boys! Walks with deer... that would keep you awfully busy! And make alot of sledders pissed off . Becarefull what you wish for .

That being said . Pauly is obviously pushing aomebodys buttons . Some people cant take crude sarcasm whatsoever . Dont be so butt hurt . His job is complete and got a reaction out of you . If its legal its legal . Besides there is a bunch of recreation users on lots of winter ranges . Sure it sucks and is cuasing spread of preds . But alot of those users havent the sightest idea of our current wildlife issues . I sled aswell but well above winter ranges . Even then some people are driving thru them . Trappers included . No semce in getting all worked up over it lol. Its legal . End of story

Pauly
01-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Lol thank you mulie. Just because I like to sled doesn’t mean I’m an idiot I take every action into consideration. I sled within walking range and use my spotter where ever I can. Will preds run on my trails ? Of course . Just the same as they will follow ploughed logging roads many of which cut through winter range. All the back and forth is pointless. Just get out and enjoy the fresh air be as respectful as one can and if it’s legal then it’s legal.

RackStar
01-29-2020, 09:27 PM
It’s legal to harvest cow moose,

is it right?

Muliechaser
01-29-2020, 09:38 PM
It’s legal to harvest cow moose,

is it right?

To each there own . If its legal i cant go rip into someone because i think its wrong. Sure you could but were does that get a guy ? We can only voice those opinions to the powers in charge . Not that itll make a difference but we can try .

Muliechaser
01-29-2020, 09:40 PM
Personal ethics are what drives that . But for the record i am against harvest of females of any species. Again personal ethics . It may be legal but I chose not to.

Pauly
01-29-2020, 09:46 PM
Yeah I’m not a fan of cow moose draw any more. We used to get them all the time back in the day. But there were actually lots of moose then so it wasn’t really a concern. The last cow draw I had 7 years ago I didn’t fill worked hard for ten days to find a moose and never did and neither did the other tag holders for that area 3-28 . Times have certainly changed and not for the better. Leave them alone I say but if someone gets a cow draw then hey I say good luck. Now I sure do like a tasty whitetail doe though.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-30-2020, 05:01 AM
But for the record i am against harvest of females of any species. Again personal ethics .

How about cougars, wolves, yotes and bears?

Anyone can have an opinion. That’s much easier than learning about the biology of a species such as whitetails. That is really tough for some people.

SSS

Muliechaser
01-30-2020, 06:59 AM

Anyone can have an opinion. That’s much easier than learning about the biology of a species such as whitetails. That is really tough for some people.

SSS

Your right SSS .i should rephrase that...
Species that our family eats . Currently we only hunt ungulates. I havent really gotten into predator hunting just no time to do it . Absolutly want to but have never dedicated time to do so . Even tho i am against harvest of female ungulates now ... i have dumped a few WT Does in my time . I know that WT are very resiliant. The numbers are stil good in my areas as they have always been . I just choose not to . EVEN tho they can handle the harvest. I wont shame anybody for taking a doe its not my place but i wont take anymore ... this year howeever .... my first born turns 10 .... different story .. its just a personal opinion that i wont push on others cuase its not my place .

Muliechaser
01-30-2020, 07:14 AM

SSS

And your right for the most part about most people forming there own opinion based on nothing but there own thoughts and views and will remain steadfast on what they believe is right or wrong . I dont care if others harvest legal female ungulates . I cant stop them. If i chose not to thats my choice . Ya never know . Might have a hurting year and need to take a wt doe. In which case i would becuase i know they can handle it . ... these days it doesnt matter if your against something legal . Or chose not to take a legal female due to personal choice . Somebodys always going to pipe up and say your wrong one way or another becuase of THEIR opinion . Kind of like you have a big 4 and a 2 point next to eachother both are legal . No matter which choice you make somebody is going to pipe in and say why did you take the 2 point he needs to grow or why did you take the 4 point hes needed for breeding and your taking genetics out .

Pauly
01-30-2020, 09:14 PM
And your right for the most part about most people forming there own opinion based on nothing but there own thoughts and views and will remain steadfast on what they believe is right or wrong . I dont care if others harvest legal female ungulates . I cant stop them. If i chose not to thats my choice . Ya never know . Might have a hurting year and need to take a wt doe. In which case i would becuase i know they can handle it . ... these days it doesnt matter if your against something legal . Or chose not to take a legal female due to personal choice . Somebodys always going to pipe up and say your wrong one way or another becuase of THEIR opinion . Kind of like you have a big 4 and a 2 point next to eachother both are legal . No matter which choice you make somebody is going to pipe in and say why did you take the 2 point he needs to grow or why did you take the 4 point hes needed for breeding and your taking genetics out .
Good answer muliechaser!! It really is personal choice and yes there are always critics about everything posted on this site. Which is ok to a point. I certainly have my own opinions on what hunting is and should be .. according to my own likes I certainly wouldn’t say they are any more right than some other persons idea of hunting. Their are bear guys mule deer guys sheep guys ect it’s all good I say . Some people golf and dirt bike the point is to get out and enjoy. Do we have lots of land use issues and wild life issues. Boy do we ever!! I have my opinions no doubt but I don’t think I’m right about anything to tell the truth it’s more about my observations. Back in the day moose and deer were all over the place .. access was limited logging blocks were small .. habitat was intact. Of course all that has changed but as hunters we haven’t we all want opportunity yet are unwilling to loose some opportunity to preserve what’s left out there. I got a feeling if it keeps up we’re all going to be on the losing end unfortunately

Pauly
02-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Went for a tour over the weekend. Deer are looking to be in great shape.. some were looking rough though but to be expected one bright spot is I came across one pile of moose . Very nice to see hopefully it’s a trend that continues. Picked off two coyotes feeding on a carcass out on a lake. No other kills to speak of very little wolf sign. Some bucks still holding head gear. Time to get out for some sheds soon. Good snow pack this year drove all the deer down this winter so it will be easy pickings on the deer trails.

KevinB
02-15-2020, 04:20 PM
For the folks hating on the OP for sharing a few "secret" (i.e., no really that secret) whitetail locations around Kamloops - can you tell me where around Kamloops there aren't whitetails? Because I have found or seen them in virtually every direction. And I suspect the areas I haven't seen them, is just because I haven't seen them, not because they aren't there. He isn't giving anything away, but he is hopefully inspiring a few hunters to switch gears a bit and utilize this very prolific species!

Pauly
02-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Went for an evening drive last night to burn off some cabin fever and to look at some mule deer on the winter range just took the binos and cruised a few roads. Spotted half a dozen mule deer one was a bruit body wise but couldn’t tell if it was a shed buck. Any how they are looking in fantastic shape. Nice coats and fat looking so that’s good. Looking forward to spring bear but we’re not there yet. Winter can go any time ... I’ve had enough lol

barongan
02-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Was going to mention the same thing, but it gets old listening to the responses from people that are not actually even out there and seeing what goes on.
The same as in the predator thread Xlcc even mentions how hard it is for the ungulates in the deep snow yet he continues to skidoo all around breaking
trails for the wolves, quit likely causing the death of more ungulates then he thinks he is saving by shooting a wolf, but all people see is how great it is
that he shot a wolf.
Humans are the biggest cause of the decline to our ungulate population.
i agree with youhttps://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

Pauly
02-26-2020, 09:25 PM
A buddy of mine was out and about today say 45 minutes from town , sent me a picture of 17 elk 3 were bulls they have shed but the pedicles were clearly visible. They have been their for a while now but he wasn’t sure if the F.N had wiped them out. Apparently not. Also of note a dead bull elk was discovered in the elephant hill fire. Undetermined death but more than likely the wolves. We were talking about elk sightings around the loops and have heard of sightings at squito lake, red lake, jaco lake and I have personally seen a cow and calf at the Roche lake turn off. The jacko lake sighting was legitimate it was spotted by the guys stocking the lake. The other two are just rumours. I have a picture of 3 bulls swimming across the Thompson river as well taken while salmon fishing in the fall. Hopefully this continues

twoSevenO
02-26-2020, 10:05 PM
Post up that pic! That would be cool to see!

I drove through lytton and saw 3 cow elk on the road in late October last year.

Then In Ashcroft I saw a bull elk standing in a farmers field. I pulled over and got my 300mm camera out and as soon as I got out of the vehicle he was on the move!

Pauly
02-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Post up that pic! That would be cool to see!

I drove through lytton and saw 3 cow elk on the road in late October last year.

Then In Ashcroft I saw a bull elk standing in a farmers field. I pulled over and got my 300mm camera out and as soon as I got out of the vehicle he was on the move!
I’ll see what I can do the picture is on my old phone along with a pile of others. Guess I should get on it . It was a cool picture just above the Prichard bridge they were all 6 points but of the rag horn variety not large by any means but nice to look at.

HarryToolips
02-26-2020, 10:19 PM
I know this a WT thread but the previous posts about elk showing up in reg 3 is good...I think they should open up a 6 pt or better season in reg 3 to put the fear of man into them this should ultimately help with less other elk being wiped out from the stewards of the land (not) FN's....

Back to WT I haven't hiked a heck of a lot this winter in the traditional WT areas where I see them but I do still think their numbers are down in some areas and stable in others, MD this year on the other hand from what I have seen are doing well...I hope they keep the 1 buck MD bag limit, should help with overall buck:doe ratios...

Pauly
02-26-2020, 10:31 PM
I know this a WT thread but the previous posts about elk showing up in reg 3 is good...I think they should open up a 6 pt or better season in reg 3 to put the fear of man into them this should ultimately help with less other elk being wiped out from the stewards of the land (not) FN's....

Back to WT I haven't hiked a heck of a lot this winter in the traditional WT areas where I see them but I do still think their numbers are down in some areas and stable in others, MD this year on the other hand from what I have seen are doing well...I hope they keep the 1 buck MD bag limit, should help with overall buck:doe ratios...
Bad idea lol us locals would shoot them all of in a day! One day though it would be nice to see a hunt able population. The more we burn the better odds for the good elk habitat. We’re kinda protective about the small herds we do have around here. The ranchers hate them and will shoot them no questions asked. They are the real reason introductions have never been made. I hate cows 🐄 lol

Pauly
02-27-2020, 08:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7792&stc=1
Bad idea lol us locals would shoot them all of in a day! One day though it would be nice to see a hunt able population. The more we burn the better odds for the good elk habitat. We’re kinda protective about the small herds we do have around here. The ranchers hate them and will shoot them no questions asked. They are the real reason introductions have never been made. I hate cows 🐄 lol

dapesche
02-27-2020, 10:48 AM
I see no reason to run around their winter grounds trying to get an idea of their numbers. It's a good time of year to just leave them alone.

Pauly
02-27-2020, 11:27 AM
They are clueless to our presence! We’re experts lol

Bugle M In
02-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Pauly is right.
Locals would drop the elk fairly quickly.
You need a big enough population that even if hunter success was 50%, that there are still enough bulls to breed with the cows.
But hell ya, it would be nice to have them in R3.
The Kammy area is an awesome place I think to have elk roam.
Would remind me of some of the country in Oregon where I saw videos of Larry D Jones and Wayne Carleton hunt.

But, as always, the ranchers would just hate it, and thus I doubt a huge established herd would happen.
IF, we could change that, in many parts of BC for that matter, we might have much better game #'s of all species.
Lets not forget, much of that land is prime winter range.

And then there is the issue of FN hunting all year round.
If one day we could work out a system where there is some "accountability" for "all hunters", we might be able to have better #'s.

Lots of "IF's" that I doubt will ever be corrected.
Definitely not in "my time"....if ever, the way I see it going with government, the FN privileges', and us just building on everything
that can be built on, disregarding wildlife all the time for the future.

REMINGTON JIM
02-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Pauly : Also of note a dead bull elk was discovered in the elephant hill fire

Pretty BIG area that fire ! More Specific Please - Thks RJ

Petros65
02-27-2020, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the updates

Pauly
02-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Pauly : Also of note a dead bull elk was discovered in the elephant hill fire

Pretty BIG area that fire ! More Specific Please - Thks RJ
Highhume lake

Pauly
02-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Keep in mind I have no way of substantiating the claim. That being said my circle is a solid bunch of guys we’re serious about our hunting big time. So I’d venture to say it’s probably accurate but you never know.

HarryToolips
02-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Bad idea lol us locals would shoot them all of in a day! One day though it would be nice to see a hunt able population. The more we burn the better odds for the good elk habitat. We’re kinda protective about the small herds we do have around here. The ranchers hate them and will shoot them no questions asked. They are the real reason introductions have never been made. I hate cows  lol
I mean a 6 pt or better only season...the elk will learn really fast....same as in reg 4 & 8.....

REMINGTON JIM
02-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind I have no way of substantiating the claim. That being said my circle is a solid bunch of guys we’re serious about our hunting big time. So I’d venture to say it’s probably accurate but you never know.

Ok thks RJ

walks with deer
02-27-2020, 07:25 PM
tkelumps band has put a ban on elk hunting in there traditional territory..
the fine is 10k.
most local elk are shot by the dirty chase crew...and are persicuted.

so please again pauly why post the locations..
of the elk? you want the. shot?

Muliechaser
02-27-2020, 07:48 PM
the fine is 10k.

They can go phuck themselfs
"Traditional territory" is still crown land and if theres an open season and you have a tag phuck them . They going to fine me or the next guy? Under what law ? Under what jurisdiction and court ? Phuck them . As for pualy saying areas where animals hide .... could send 20 guys into areas and they wont see shit anyways . On the other hand he coud be steering people in the wrong direction away from the actuall good spots! You never know . Like the saying goes... "i dont always tell people where i hunt, but when i do , its a lie" its the internet . You never know somebodys intent . Which ever it is it wont hurt anything ... right pualy!

Pauly
02-27-2020, 08:08 PM
the fine is 10k.

so please again pauly why post the locations..
of the elk? you want the. shot?
Who really cares it’s no secret to anyone around here if natives or anyone else wants to shoot them theirs nothing I can do. Peoples bad behaviour is their own. I remember some Italian guy shot a monster 6 point bull on private out Jameson cr lol dumb as thought it was a monster buck. Some natives are bad some are not same for white guys or any other creed for that matter. So I will continue on sharing info and whitetail spots ect. It’s good to promote a dying sport get kids out doing healthy things with family

Pauly
02-27-2020, 08:15 PM
"Traditional territory" is still crown land and if theres an open season and you have a tag phuck them . They going to fine me or the next guy? Under what law ? Under what jurisdiction and court ? Phuck them . As for pualy saying areas where animals hide .... could send 20 guys into areas and they wont see shit anyways . On the other hand he coud be steering people in the wrong direction away from the actuall good spots! You never know . Like the saying goes... "i dont always tell people where i hunt, but when i do , its a lie" its the internet . You never know somebodys intent . Which ever it is it wont hurt anything ... right pualy!
I never bs except to protect my one killer whitetail spot and my killer mule deer spot those be mine lol I do get guys in my are but big deal it’s actually not mine it’s ours. I try to steer most everyone in the right general direction the rest is up to the hunter to figure the area out. Can’t learn much with someone holding your hand. My old man sent me into one of his spots I never knew about when I was 19 I came back empty handed no sign of nothing.. he told me I was doing something wrong and it was for me to figure out with a few pointers from him thrown in. So like I say help guys out in a general way the rest is up to us to figure out

walks with deer
02-27-2020, 09:05 PM

lol there protecting the small isolated elk herds...thete is no gos

Pauly
02-27-2020, 10:45 PM
lol there protecting the small isolated elk herds...thete is no gos
Hey sorry for the smart ass bear comment lol no hard feelings ok but you have to admit it was kind of funny.. any how I owe you a few free shots so fire away lol the moderators will just have to tolerate us lol

REMINGTON JIM
02-27-2020, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=walks with deer;2154179]tkelumps band has put a ban on elk hunting in there traditional territory..
the fine is 10k.

There should be a BAN on the phucking tkelumps band of indians ! :mad: RJ

walks with deer
03-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Hey sorry for the smart ass bear comment lol no hard feelings ok but you have to admit it was kind of funny.. any how I owe you a few free shots so fire away lol the moderators will just have to tolerate us lol

all good...jim there where elk in my yard last week 12 of them pretty awesome..

HarryToolips
03-06-2020, 09:31 PM
The last couple times out I've seen a lot of deer....30-40 mulies in a traditional muley winter range weekend before last, and last weekend saw 50-70 deer, in a couple square km, a good blend of WT and mulies, was nice to see..

jimzuk
03-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Went to one of the areas that was mentioned earlier to retrieve a camera. Nasty walk there is about 8 inches of snow with a good crust that almost supported me. Saw a couple dozen whitetail. Beauty day to be out with the dogs

Pauly
04-06-2020, 06:51 AM
Took a drive to my favourite mule deer spot yesterday... had isolation fever really bad lol. Elevation is roughly 2400 feet. Generally at this time of year the lake in the valley is starting to open up and some green is poking through last year ice was off April 7. Not this year I should have brought my ice auger!! Lots of snow in areas yet .. saw only a few deer and found a few older kill sites. Looks like most the deer are still way down in the sage. So bear season is going to be late this year. However, warmer weather on the way. I think we may flood this year I’ve never seen April so cold in the loops.

HarryToolips
04-06-2020, 08:43 PM
Definitely a late spring but lower down there is a lot of deer, winter carryover seems to be good for both species from what I see...mule deer especially, they are doing very well from my observations, the one buck limit must be working maybe or were just blessed with winters that haven't been too harsh...thoughts and theories??

Pauly
04-06-2020, 09:08 PM
I’d say mild winter.. the one buck bag limit I’m sure is helping but after only one season I’d say it’s a bit to soon to see any substantial results. Funny thing though last year I hear of all this traffic in the loops on the back roads yet for me it was the quietest year I’ve seen in an age. Very little traffic in all but a few areas that I believe is a result of the one buck bag limit.. it’s working better on managing hunters than deer at this point. I did encounter lots of moose hunters in November but they were all road warriors

Pauly
04-06-2020, 09:10 PM
I was reading an article on whitetail round worm it’s very catchy and just deadly for moose if they pick it up apparently they just can’t cope with it at all .. very fatal to swamp donkey

Mosin
04-06-2020, 10:07 PM
Cat hunters and guides can lay out well over 100 kms of track in a full day on their sleds.
Here we are busting a guys balls for scouting and learning his local deer herds and sharing his intel.

There are countless sledders out ripping it up yet HBC picks on an outdoor enthusiast that is part of our community.
Once again tribalism at its finest.
Brutal

You couldn't have said it better