PDA

View Full Version : Camper for Tundra

mjplewak
01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Hey Gang,

I am acquiring a Toyota Tundra and I am wondering what experience people are having with truck campers and what I should look for? I am not 100% sure what the truck can handle yet, but any advice would be good and if anyone is selling something for under $2k that would be suitable, I would like to know if you are on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland.

I know I want an 8ft camper, that is clean as I plan to take my girls with me hunting. But I am not looking for anything massive. I am not worried if it needs work too.

RambleOn
01-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Going to have to be something super light. I have a tundra and prefer to pull over haul.

SF2020
01-16-2020, 07:35 PM
I had an older Northern Lite camper on my Tundra... had airbags installed to help with sag. Awesome camper and truck handled it no problem. Any Northern Lite or Bigfoot would be good. They aren't cheap but you can find older models under 10k.

Nailknot85
01-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Take a look at the cargo capacity and gross axle weight ratings on a Tundra. Depending on the trim you are limited to around 1500 pounds cargo capacity. Good luck finding an 8 foot camper that weighs less than that. A couple people, gear and a tank of gas adds up quick, there is no way you can be legal with a camper in the box. Not to say the truck can't handle it but if you get into an accident and ICBC finds the fact you are over gross had anything to do with the accident your insurance is void.

Huntingtyler123
01-16-2020, 10:06 PM
No to bigfoots. They weigh a lot dry. Great camper for sure! But I’d recommend 3/4 or one ton for them. Find some ultra light camper. I have a custom light camper for my half ton dodge with airbags that my uncle made long time a go and truck handles great. ( uncle came up with Bigfoot and made first one ever in a shop in east van)

SF2020
01-17-2020, 08:52 AM
You have to find the older models of the Northen Lite and Bigfoot... a few of them are under the Tundra payload.....

Laurp99
01-17-2020, 08:53 AM
Here's my old Ram 1500 with my 8Ft Adventurer camper.
The camper weighs 1400lbs dry and my Ram's payload was around 1850lbs, I also had airbags installed which made a HUGE difference in the ride and handling.

When fully loaded with water, 2 weeks food, propane, fishing/hunting gear, myself and or a friend I am WAY over my limit, even though my truck handled it OK I drove extra cautiously. I definitely knew there was a camper in the back as my truck is........ a Half Ton! I now haul the same camper with a 1 ton diesel and this camper is invisible. I had a buddy who had a small Bigfoot import camper on his Tacoma, that didn't last long.

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/64995-2/IMGP1193.jpg

jlirot
01-17-2020, 09:41 AM
Way above your budget but I have a GFC (https://gofastcampers.com/). It's no palace but certainly is a great way to tent camp off the ground. Some folks trick them out to make full time campers including heaters. But, that's not what I need.

There are a few competitors but they tend to be even more expensive.

whitlers
01-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Take a look at the cargo capacity and gross axle weight ratings on a Tundra. Depending on the trim you are limited to around 1500 pounds cargo capacity. Good luck finding an 8 foot camper that weighs less than that. A couple people, gear and a tank of gas adds up quick, there is no way you can be legal with a camper in the box. Not to say the truck can't handle it but if you get into an accident and ICBC finds the fact you are over gross had anything to do with the accident your insurance is void.

This ^

You will he disappointed with the payload of the Tundra. Not that it cant handed it but legally you will most likely be over weight. I personally would move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton for a camper. I had one on my 3/4 and it was still alittle heavy.

upperleftcoaster
01-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Way above your budget but I have a GFC (https://gofastcampers.com/). It's no palace but certainly is a great way to tent camp off the ground. Some folks trick them out to make full time campers including heaters. But, that's not what I need.

There are a few competitors but they tend to be even more expensive.

those look really nice! long backorder on the "camper" version though, they say december 2020 at least. I would pick up the tent system and then weld up a similar frame system for the truck. a nice option for sure

why not just pull a small camper trailer like one of the small "pop up" style ones?

Steve W
01-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Hey Gang,

I am acquiring a Toyota Tundra and I am wondering what experience people are having with truck campers and what I should look for? I am not 100% sure what the truck can handle yet, but any advice would be good and if anyone is selling something for under $2k that would be suitable, I would like to know if you are on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland.

I know I want an 8ft camper, that is clean as I plan to take my girls with me hunting. But I am not looking for anything massive. I am not worried if it needs work too.

I bought a 8' "project camper" out of a farmer's field. It had some damage from water getting in via the front clearance lights and front window. The wood where the rear jacks attached was also soft and one rear jack didn't work. It only had a two burner stove in it and the fridge and furnace were gone.

It took me about six weeks to get it all fixed up and weather tight (being retired helps). I'm not a very skilled carpenter , but have a bunch of tools. I replaced all the rotted wood and two jacks. All in for the rebuild it cost me including jacks (most expensive item) about $1200. I removed all the old decals and repainted it with a roller. We've used it on several trips including one to the Organ Pipe National Monument in southern Arizona from southern BC. Eighteen nights in a row is our record.

The unit weighs about 800 pounds empty and around 1100 fully loaded. I only pack a few gallons of water and have one 10lb propane tank. I converted the fridge space and furnace space into storage areas. The smallest Buddy heater keeps it nice and warm. My half-ton GMC handles it just fine. It's pretty basic but it was a pretty cheap project. Keeps us warm and dry.

bankshot
01-17-2020, 02:13 PM
There's a very nice home built camperette for sale in the off topic section of this forum. It's more than your budget though.

nature girl
01-17-2020, 07:22 PM
It may be to small but how about a camperette we have one and it ways about 800 lbs. If you get the small overhang over the cab of your truck you could sleep up top and put the girls where the table goes that off course makes into a bed. Ours has a furnace a small sink and 2 burner stove.

ryanonthevedder
01-17-2020, 07:31 PM
My only problem with campers on a 1/2 ton is that icbc will absolutely hump your eye sockets if you get in any kind of accident. If you are over weight you are hooped. I plan on campering my f150 but it has the payload pkg, and is good for 2600 lbs with a full tank and 6 passengers.

REMINGTON JIM
01-17-2020, 07:43 PM
2600 Lbs PAYLOAD in a F150 - that would allow to you to HAUL about a 1200 lb camper ROUGHLY - RJ

frase
01-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Sold my 1975?? 8 ft Frontier camper for $800.00. The posted weight was around 850 lbs but was not an issue as I have a 3/4 T. Camper had furnace, sink and water tank, cook top, and I put in a microwave. Served me well but didn't use it. Lots of room and worked well but those old campers always have small issues, particularly when seldom used. It also had a one piece aluminum roof someone put on and 2 propane tanks.

IslandWanderer
01-18-2020, 09:49 AM
It might be worth weighing your vehicle at a scale to see how much gvw is still available. I suspect exceeding it would void insurance. I see lots of 1/2 tonnes with campers here on the island, and I seriously doubt they're under capacity.

IslandWanderer
01-18-2020, 09:51 AM
2600 Lbs PAYLOAD in a F150 - that would allow to you to HAUL about a 1200 lb camper ROUGHLY - RJ

A 1/2 tonne that has a payload of over a tonne?

northof49
01-18-2020, 11:41 AM
Might want to look at a trailer instead with a canopy on the tundra for extra gear and bringing home the meat. Nice to be able to quickly unhook trailer and off you go hunting without having a camper on there getting pounded on the gravel roads and limiting your access. Can always unload a camper at destination but that still adds a few steps/time when setting up and breaking camp which is never much fun in the dark when you just want to get home. The ladies will appreciate the toilet in the trailer as well. Just my two bits and I use a camper on my Ram truck. The reason I like the camper is I like to tow a utility trailer with my quad, drybox and freezer. When I get where I’m going camper comes off and drybox and quad go in my pickup.

Gun Dog
01-18-2020, 06:44 PM
A small trailer would be a better choice. Even if you found a small light camper the stuff -- food, water, fuel, guns, friends and beer -- add up quick. Add a trailer and you add another 200 - 300 pounds on the ball. Add some hunting success and you'll be way over.

With my 1/2T I had a 16' trailer. I used the truck for getting around and had room in the box to bring home the deer.

With my 1T dually I'm at my GVW with a 9.6 Northern Lite camper on the back.

mjplewak
01-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and clearly the Tundra is a tow'er, not a hauler. I will look at camper trailers. I like the idea of unhooking and having the flexibility of being mobile beyond camp. Especially if camp is a sweet spot.

Now does anyone have a project camper trailer out there?

RambleOn
01-18-2020, 11:13 PM
I would look for a cargo trailer. Insulate and add a heater. Lots of space. Mobile cabin that you could load a quad into etc.

northof49
01-19-2020, 12:13 AM
You could go cargo trailer but if you want repeat trips with the daughters might want to go with typical trailer with few more of the home comforts. Nice to come home to on the rainy or cold days. If they don’t mind roughing it then the cargo trailer might work for you, but will feel more cramped.

ianwuzhere
01-19-2020, 11:25 AM
check the tundras payload- prolly not legally allowed to pack much weight- such as a camper.

twoSevenO
01-19-2020, 10:22 PM
I haul an 8ft camper in a half ton and it's fine. Mine is even a short box truck. No issues so far

https://i.redd.it/l0pb6fgxum341.jpg

ruger416
01-19-2020, 10:36 PM
I don't have much knowledge on TUNDRA's but that camper can not be legal for the road. I don't cane how many air bags you put under it. Air bags in no way add to extra weight you can carry.

ryanonthevedder
01-19-2020, 10:50 PM
With the right setup they will let you put almost 3300 in the back.

The Gvwr on mine is 7850 lbs and they rate “payload” as the load you can carry with a full tank of fuel and a driver.

Its a modern heavy half, but it has less to do with what I expect it to do and what I can legally do. I don’t expect a 10 foot camper with slides but it will be fine for what I want.

You can see the ratings in the payload section.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2019&postalCode=07735

Mine is rate for 2690lbs of payload and will tow 11,500lbs.

ruger416
01-19-2020, 11:23 PM
A DOT person could straighten this out. But from my knowledge the payload is not just what you put in the box. Part of the 2690 payload has to be over the front wheels. On the inside of the drivers door it should say max for each. Towing 11,500 is for a truck made for that weight. Not all 1/2 can do it. need the right motor,transmission and real end. Far to many people read the write up and believe the so called sales professional. Most of them last week lost their job as the greeter at Wallie world.
The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.

twoSevenO
01-19-2020, 11:57 PM
A DOT person could straighten this out. But from my knowledge the payload is not just what you put in the box. Part of the 2690 payload has to be over the front wheels. On the inside of the drivers door it should say max for each. Towing 11,500 is for a truck made for that weight. Not all 1/2 can do it. need the right motor,transmission and real end. Far to many people read the write up and believe the so called sales professional. Most of them last week lost their job as the greeter at Wallie world.
The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.

Having looked into this for my F150, you are absolutely correct.

F150 can tow something like 11,500lbs max. And that is standard cab, 8ft box, 2 wheel drive, 3:73 gears

Add 4x4 - goes down
Add screw cab - down more!
Change gears other than 373 - down even more!

The cgvw must be met. So you have to look in the Toyota docs for what your particular combination works out to be.

My truck is a short box, crew cab with 3.73 gears, 4x4 and max tows 9300lbs, compared to the F150 max 11,500lbs (for model year 2011)

Same with bed payload

Ride Red
01-20-2020, 07:04 AM
I would look for a cargo trailer. Insulate and add a heater. Lots of space. Mobile cabin that you could load a quad into etc.

This ^^^^^ or find a light travel trailer. Payload is one thing, but traveling at highway speeds through corners and/or windy areas; you won’t be happy with a top heavy unit on your truck. Many half ton trucks going down the highway are way over loaded and it’s a matter of time before an accident happens. Never mind the much smaller brakes trying to do an emergency stop at high summer temps on steep hills.

Huntingtyler123
01-20-2020, 07:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7741&stc=1

here my ultra lite camper custom made by my cousin. Has a wood burning stove, storage and a bed. No bathroom and stuff like that etc. Dry weight is 780 pounds. 2016 ram 1500 with upgraded suspension and airbags. Does the job for me for now. Will be upgrading truck down the road to one ton.

twoSevenO
01-20-2020, 09:49 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7741&stc=1

here my ultra lite camper custom made by my cousin. Has a wood burning stove, storage and a bed. No bathroom and stuff like that etc. Dry weight is 780 pounds. 2016 ram 1500 with upgraded suspension and airbags. Does the job for me for now. Will be upgrading truck down the road to one ton.

Cool set up! Post up some interior shots. :)

Gun Dog
01-20-2020, 01:52 PM
The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.In BC you can't exceed:
- GVWR
- GAWR (gross axle weight rating) for each axle
- tire load rating
- rim load rating (in theory a rim has a rating stamped somewhere)

The tow rating is in the brochure and recommended by the manufacturer for warranty purposes but the Transport Act uses a number so high your really limited by the pin weight and GVWR on the vehicle. There is a standard that manufacturers are supposed to use -- J2807 (http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/) -- when promoting their vehicles.

The only way to change your GWVR is to get an approved commercial truck builder to sign off on upgrades.

ryanonthevedder
01-21-2020, 11:00 PM
Having looked into this for my F150, you are absolutely correct.

F150 can tow something like 11,500lbs max. And that is standard cab, 8ft box, 2 wheel drive, 3:73 gears

Add 4x4 - goes down
Add screw cab - down more!
Change gears other than 373 - down even more!

The cgvw must be met. So you have to look in the Toyota docs for what your particular combination works out to be.

My truck is a short box, crew cab with 3.73 gears, 4x4 and max tows 9300lbs, compared to the F150 max 11,500lbs (for model year 2011)

Same with bed payload

Have a look at the brochure I linked. They have come a long way since 2011 and the aluminum bodies allowed more pay and towing.

It is absolutely an accurate statement to say that not all f150’s can carry or tow the max. The HD payload that Ilave has a 9.75” rear with the 3.73s along with the turbo v6. That’s not all it takes though. The front and rear springs are heavier, shocks are heavier, sway bars are heavier, and the frame is made of thicker steel than any of the other models. It has HD rims and the tires are load range C.

I never planned to max it out but I also never wanted any question that I was over weight. The plan is a modest well balanced camper that will allow for passengers, food, and occasionally a boat or quad trailer. A regular half ton isn’t rated for the task but mine has the numbers on the door jamb that says it’s set up for it.

It’s not a huge stretch either. The f350s 250s and 150s all share the same cab, and the HD payload 150 happens to come with 3/4 ton running gear.

It’s a unicorn and it took me 3 years to find one for the right price, but anyone can have one if they look around. They are more common now than when I started looking. Also the 140L gas tank is nice.

Almost 12k kms on it now.

REMINGTON JIM
01-21-2020, 11:46 PM
A 1/2 tonne that has a payload of over a tonne?

Read Post #14

twoSevenO
01-22-2020, 09:33 AM
Have a look at the brochure I linked. They have come a long way since 2011 and the aluminum bodies allowed more pay and towing.

It is absolutely an accurate statement to say that not all f150’s can carry or tow the max. The HD payload that Ilave has a 9.75” rear with the 3.73s along with the turbo v6. That’s not all it takes though. The front and rear springs are heavier, shocks are heavier, sway bars are heavier, and the frame is made of thicker steel than any of the other models. It has HD rims and the tires are load range C.

I never planned to max it out but I also never wanted any question that I was over weight. The plan is a modest well balanced camper that will allow for passengers, food, and occasionally a boat or quad trailer. A regular half ton isn’t rated for the task but mine has the numbers on the door jamb that says it’s set up for it.

It’s not a huge stretch either. The f350s 250s and 150s all share the same cab, and the HD payload 150 happens to come with 3/4 ton running gear.

It’s a unicorn and it took me 3 years to find one for the right price, but anyone can have one if they look around. They are more common now than when I started looking. Also the 140L gas tank is nice.

Almost 12k kms on it now.

Ok so which F150 is this exactly? What trim and package level?
I'm curious. And what year?

Some of the new aluminum ones have INSANE payload, bigger than older 3/4 ton. If i could afford it, i would have gone for one of the newer aluminum ones for sure.
As is, i do love the truck config i got. The 3.73 rear end is nice. Electric diff lock is nice as well.

Nailknot85
01-22-2020, 05:47 PM
This turned into a Ford fan thread pretty quick lol. The Tundra may not have the payload that a heavy half F150 does but I bet the Tundra will still be on the road long after the Ford is rotting in a junkyard somewhere. I'm a 'yota fanboy though so I'm pretty biased.

whitlers
01-22-2020, 06:31 PM
This turned into a Ford fan thread pretty quick lol. The Tundra may not have the payload that a heavy half F150 does but I bet the Tundra will still be on the road long after the Ford is rotting in a junkyard somewhere. I'm a 'yota fanboy though so I'm pretty biased.

I'll have to second this. My father in law is a service manager at a large dealership. I'm convinced I will never buy an f150

northof49
01-22-2020, 06:35 PM
^^^yup x3....done ford....never again

REMINGTON JIM
01-22-2020, 08:38 PM
I'll have to second this. My father in law is a service manager at a large dealership. I'm convinced I will never buy an f150

I'm a Parts man at a LARGE dealership I would not buy a F150 or a ESCAPE both are filling the shop up everyday ! RJ

twoSevenO
01-22-2020, 09:01 PM
F150 isnt filling up your shop because it's the worst quality..... it's simply out there more than any truck so it's going to have more broken ones.

Not like you get the other hundreds of thousands stopping by to remind you how well theirs are running.

But yes, Toyota takes the cake for reliability hands down.

ryanonthevedder
01-22-2020, 10:17 PM
You can get the HD payload pkg on an xl, xlt, and base lariat. Engine choices are the coyote and the ecoboost.on the xlt its only available on the 300 and 301 trim levels as well. Maybe the 302 as well now, but not sure. Reg, extended, and crew cab are all available but not available in a crew cab short box (who wants a 5.5’ box anyway?)...

Looking at my 2019 with the ecoboost with HD payload pkg and compared to my colleague’s 2006 ram 2500 diesel the two trucks are comparable. Mine has 2690 lbs of payload available and can tow 11,500 lbs while the ram has 2000 lbs of payload but can pull 14,000 lbs.

I don’t really notice the 3.73 vs the 3.55 found in the max tow version. The ecoboost has so much torque that it’s no different driving around. The electric locking diff is nice although I prefer the posi in my old dodge.

The payload and towing info is at the bottom here
https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2019

page 7 is what ford recommends for putting a camper onto your F150
https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2019

ryanonthevedder
01-22-2020, 10:22 PM
As far as the ford fan the only reason I bought the ford was for the HD payload option. Chev and dodge or toy don’t have anything close and I didn’t want the extra fuel for a 1 ton or 3/4. It was a great compromise for what I wanted.

I don’t think any one truck is much better or worse than another (except 6 and 6.4 f350) and I am pretty agnostic about what brand I own.

Mulehahn
01-22-2020, 11:22 PM
The simple fact is that unless you only ever drive yourself and a chihuahua, only keep your tank half full and pack very light most half tons will be overloaded with a Camper (which includes water, food, propane, sheets, it all adds up). Can you safely? Probably. Legally? Not if the crack downs keep up.

As for what is the best truck. I have driven all the Big 3. In my experience Dodge has the most stuff go wrong, by a lot; but it usually small stuff you can fix yourself. Just swap parts out. I honestly lost track of the overtime hours I have picked up fixing the work dodges in the bush. Chevys next, but it is a mix of major and small. The trucks that have broke down the least on me are the Fords. The thing is, when a Ford breaks it really breaks. The cost of a tow and repairs adds up in a hurry.

As for Toyotas, I fully agree that they are the most dependable out there. Their engines and transmissions last forever. Unfortunately there is a lot more to a truck then that. The mid-teen Tundras have suspension problems. The new Tacomas are having problems with their fuel doors, taking weeks to get parts and if you force it you will be paying for paint, and both the Tundra and Tacoma the rear cab break lights are known to leak. If you don't catch it in time (say go to mexico for two weeks while we get a cold snap followed by rain here) it will really wreck havoc with the entire electrical system and cost thousands to repair.

No one makes a perfect truck.

Leaseman
01-23-2020, 07:12 AM
Well said "M"!!

Been in the business a long time....I would not buy ANY truck made in a half ton to carry any weight!

Load up a half ton in a crew cab, add options and you have very little room if you have a full tank of gas and four guys in the cab.....

kelowna.jordan
02-10-2020, 06:13 PM
I had an 07 tundra crewmax with the tiny box so a camper was out from the get go. I kept my eye on craigslist and found a great 14' Edson camper from '78 I believe for $1100. I had it for years and sold it to my brother who still has it (he tows it with a '13 Frontier with a v6 and it does well)

Gun Dog
02-10-2020, 09:29 PM
I had an Edson trailer of that vintage. I sold it around 10 years ago. It had a toilet & holding tank and the sink drain was an open pipe and a bucket. Lots of ground clearance and great for hunting. The welds on the frame looked like crap but never broke.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SrqsJmQ/0/5f622e11/M/i-SrqsJmQ-M.jpg

2tins
02-11-2020, 09:52 AM
I pull an 18 foot travel trailer with my Tundra. Depending on what we are doing I've got a rolled up zodiac and 9.9 with all the gear plus 4 mountain bikes and all the gear under my canopy. Or I can haul my quad on a rack I built with the tailgate closed plus all the hunting gear.
I would 100% recommend towing instead of packing with the Tundra. Good luck.

kelowna.jordan
02-11-2020, 10:24 PM
Gun dog, I had that same trailer. Minus the awning. I picked up a new axle for it when they were stupid cheap at princess auto and did an axle over swap while it was out for more ground clearance. I removed the bathroom and little partition wall and built a nice bench with storage under the seat and shelving above for drying clothes. Was a great set up. My brother and his wife painted it a flat grey when they bought it