PDA

View Full Version : Skull Mtn.

mrdoog
10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Took my Dad out for a drive around his old hunting grounds on Skull Mtn.
All of the side roads are closed to vehicles, so walked aound the Camp 9 lake area.
The area was burnt pretty good a few years ago, the vegetation is coming back nicely.
Saw lots of does. Lots of sign if you got out and walked.
Nice to see that the deer are moving back into an area that was like a moonscape not too long ago.

Will
10-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Saw an absolute Pig in there last year.......too dark to shoot:wink:

Gets really good Late season if the snow hits hard......but since the burn it's been opened up big time and gets hammered by the Road warriors too:cool:

A great spot for a hike nonetheless:wink:

mrdoog
10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
My brother took a big boy as he was walking off of Hagen Mtn.
I'm looking forward to that area supporting the wintering herds as it has done in the past.
Cause some of them will cross the river and end up on Dixon Mtn.!

horshur
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Took my Dad out for a drive around his old hunting grounds on Skull Mtn.
All of the side roads are closed to vehicles, so walked aound the Camp 9 lake area.
The area was burnt pretty good a few years ago, the vegetation is coming back nicely.
Saw lots of does. Lots of sign if you got out and walked.
Nice to see that the deer are moving back into an area that was like a moonscape not too long ago.

they never realy left.

mrdoog
10-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree they never really left.
Maybe I'm a sucker but I remember the stories told by the old timers in the Barriere Legion about a hundred deer at a time walking down the East face of Skull Mtn. heading towars the river to winter there.
If the stories are true, I would like to see that for myself.
I'm hoping that's why Skull Mtn, is now being managed as an important wintering site.

Kirby
10-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I agree they never really left.
Maybe I'm a sucker but I remember the stories told by the old timers in the Barriere Legion about a hundred deer at a time walking down the East face of Skull Mtn. heading towars the river to winter there.
If the stories are true, I would like to see that for myself.
I'm hoping that's why Skull Mtn, is now being managed as an important wintering site.

Its still happening. I worked skull last year doing ungulate winter range surveys, I was seeing tons of deer in huge groups. I think the largest group was 40 or 50 does. lots of moose higher up as well.

Largest problem I found was somebody poaching deer every night.

Kirby