PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu storm star and mountain star

jac
01-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Hey all

Anyone have a kuiu tent storm or mountain star? I’m been doing my homework the hilleberg tents look great also just need a lot of real estate for a tunnel tent. The storm star looks really bomber, looking for first hand experience thanks

butcher
01-10-2020, 08:17 AM
I have the mountain star. Good not great. Perfect for one guy space wise. Not great in heavy weather, starts dripping. Super light to pack. Dries fast. Pretty quick set up.

I had it out for several rotten days last year. Kept me dry but only if I stayed on my thermarest

jac
01-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Is that a newer mountain star or one of the problematic first generation?

butcher
01-10-2020, 10:38 AM
It’s a new one. After they “fixed” the problem.

swampthing
01-10-2020, 07:34 PM
I have the mountain star. Good not great. Perfect for one guy space wise. Not great in heavy weather, starts dripping. Super light to pack. Dries fast. Pretty quick set up.

I had it out for several rotten days last year. Kept me dry but only if I stayed on my thermarest

So the floor would get wet?

butcher
01-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Yeah but it drips on you a bit too. Not the best for the price of the tent

butcher
01-10-2020, 09:59 PM
I’m gonna seam seal it this summer

jac
01-10-2020, 10:16 PM
Seems like you should get a tent that doesn’t leak at all for that money. The storm star has really great reviews just haven’t spoke with someone that owns one.

butcher
01-10-2020, 10:35 PM
I think I have a friend with one. I’ll ask him. If it’s the one I’m thinking of he had a bit of a struggle setting up

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2020, 06:08 AM

My experience has been identical with the second version of the Mtn Star.
It ain’t no Hillebberg.

SSS

madcalfe
01-11-2020, 07:14 AM
i have the new msr hubba hubba 2P tent and used it on a 13 day sheep hunt this year. tight for 2 guys but it worked flawlessly in the 4 days of straight down pour we had. i was considering the kuiu tent but went with the hubba hubba and dont regret it.
stone glacier also has a nice tent!

jac
01-11-2020, 07:56 AM
I will continue doing research in the internet. Other then the higher weight I’m looking really hard at the hilleberg nallo3 gt. It’s a bit heavier but a good amount of room for 2 guys. It’s pretty pricey but I’m sure the first bad storm I will be glad I spent the money. Anyone use the Nallo 3 gt?

wsquared
01-11-2020, 08:43 AM
I've had the Nallo 3 GT, for 5 years. For two people sleeping portion is just right, wouldn't want to try with three. Vestibule has room for boots, rifles some gear and a place for the dog to sleep. Breakfast often gets cooked in the vestibule. Backpacks are covered up outside the tent. Low head room due to tent profile, but helps it buck the wind. I have had it in late fall, "dewey" conditions, where there was not enough airflow to overcome condensation inside tent walls. Have been lucky enough not to have to endure serious prolonged downpours in the tent, just storms passing through overnight. No leakage issues to report. It is a heavier tent for backpacking, but it is a solid tent, I have no regrets buying it.

Cat catcher
01-11-2020, 06:02 PM
What about the stone glacier tents? Anybody use Them and have good luck?