PDA

View Full Version : White Spring Salmon

358mag
10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
what to do with white spring salmon ?? 4 springs 30-38lbs late aug caught west coast off Port Refrew ,but there white meat not red tryed cooking some steaks on the b-q but not that great what can you do to them ??? any ideas ??

Greenstone
10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I remember catching some white springs and my friend smoked them and they seemed pretty good that way.

tomigunz
10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
White springs should taste the same as red ones! I've caught both and couldnt taste any difference while cooking. My biggest white spring this year was a 41 pounder which won the alberni derby.

gaza211
10-05-2007, 09:21 PM
One of the best ways I have prepared white spring salmon is to batter and deep fry it like you would cod or halibut.
The batter will retain the salmon flavour and keep the fish from drying out.
the only downside is the greasy smell in the kitchen, you might want to try it on an outside burner first.
good luck

Wildman
10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
They are the best in my opinion.......more fat content. Great for smoking. I once caught a marbled Chinook! Those fish are either heading up the Fraser or Columbia Rivers.

Phil
10-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I cooked one on the bbq with low heat and lots of natural hickory smoke. It was great.

Browningmirage
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
its all in the genetics. Marbled white or red, those are the possibilities.

I love the white stuff, batter it and fry it like flatties.

Woodrow
10-05-2007, 10:50 PM
ive never noticed a differnce between the two, its all in your head.

ratherbefishin
10-06-2007, 07:50 AM
same as any salmon-don't overcook!

dougan
10-06-2007, 08:41 AM
i watched a yank in renfrew throw the whole spring in the gut bin boy did he get his ass chewed out i like the white ones better. try to put some oinion ceaser salad dressing and black bean sauce on it put in tin foil but leave the top open cook on low heat just untill the meat flakes appart you wont be dissapointed

MooseNuts
10-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I've never noticed a difference in the taste. I know that some can, my fishing partner normally gives them to me. We canned some last season ('06) and it turned out fine. We actually still have a little left.

greybark
10-06-2007, 10:17 AM
:biggrin:I can mine with a little smoke flavour and Katsup . Make sure you trim off the dark fat before canning . Super !!!

Gateholio
10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I think most of the white salmon taste better....

I don't do much different to them or treat them differently.

krazy
10-06-2007, 02:18 PM
I like the whites a bit better than the reds but in reality there is very little difference between them. I like to cedar plank them on the BBQ - smother them with dijon mustard and brown sugar - mmmmmmmmmm!

LUCKY
10-09-2007, 03:08 PM
This is a debate I have seen over and over...

My opinion is the whites are have more fat content and are more oily. It is this that carries the fishy taste.
Great FRESH on the BBQ or prepared any way you like reds.
Also great for smoking. (that is what I do with them if I can not eat them right away)

You will find them more oily so they make take a bit longer to cook or smoke.

I don't find they keep as well as reds again due to the extra oil.

LUCKY

One Shot
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
In Alaska most prefer the white over the pink Springs, just kinda the opposite of the mentality here. I do not believe that there is any diff. other than what is appeasing to one's eye.

FLHTCUI
10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Smoke it and then can it, they do taste different when cooked the traditinal wayyou know it from first experience.
If you want someone to take them off your hands, I am sure we can find someone to assist you.
But Seriously, if you know how to smoke salmon and then pressure can them this is a Very Good alternative to keeping them inthe freezer to end up as crab bait next summer !!!
Cheers,
Rob
btw, at sea level 90 minutes at 10 psi on a canner
Tight Lines !!!

franklin3
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I used to fish the Vedder every chance I got...Untouchable and I used to take lots of whites home...I usually made jerkey and had some smoked..well I didnt the chef in our high school would do it...I needed to give it to my teachers for skipping thier class to go fishing:razz:

p&p
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
White springs are great smoked-canned or just plain canned,St.Jeans cannery in Naniamo does a great job of both ways I prefer mine smoke-canned mixed with diced onion &Miraclewhip on bread makes for a dandy snack( think Ill go have one now.)

BCKID
10-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I prefer the white spring over any other salmon, as mentioned more oil, more taste!

mikek blacktail
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
maple-burbon cedar planked salmon take one cup maple syrup ,1/2 cup brown sugar and one ounce burbon and a pinch of chiles put in sauce pan and reduce it on low heat in tell it glazes the spoon .Second get an untreated cedar plank(untreated)about one inche thicke and that a whole filet will fit on,soak it in water over night.next turn the bbq one side on full on the other burner off ,place soak cedar plank on off side burner lay salmon on top skin to cedarplank,basted it with glace .Glace three times before salmon is cooked to your liking and enjoy.

NaStY
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry people but all i can say is YUK! But then again all i have caught is Vedder whites. Never kept Fraser whites either.....

BCKID
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Quote (((Sorry people but all i can say is YUK! But then again all i have caught is Vedder whites. Never kept Fraser whites either.....)))

World of difference from the Vedder to the ocean!!

tooley
10-17-2007, 08:09 PM
don't listen to those guys who say there isn't a difference! There is, and the white ones are not as good. if you are a big fish eater, than it probably doesn't matter. If it does, smoke them, it's really the best way!

Chuck
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I've heard people in the interior having the same conversations about rainbow trout. Most prefer the red meat to white. I know it looks nicer, but I remain uncertain as to taste. Maybe it's my mouth? For sure kokanee are better for canning than rainbow. Interesting to learn opinions regarding springs meat.

mrdoog
10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
It's all in your "eyes", all in your "eyes".
Do a blind taste test.
We did one, no one could taste the difference.

Bulldraw
10-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Fillet your spring in half. Light barbecue, preheat and leave on high heat, salt and your favorite mild seasoning, place skin side down, no foil. Close lid. Check after 30 mins, lift from below with a knife on edge on thickest part of fillet, when grains split apart , remove and enjoy! Your biger fish may require 45 miniutes.

Wildman
10-18-2007, 05:02 AM
don't listen to those guys who say there isn't a difference! There is, and the white ones are not as good. if you are a big fish eater, than it probably doesn't matter. If it does, smoke them, it's really the best way!

That's your opinion......I personally like the white springs.

oldtimer
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Love the white springs. Wrapped in foil on the BBQ with lemon and onions inside. MMMMMMMM As stated earlier, don't overcook it. Mike

Fozzie
10-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Used to work on 54 foot freezer troller in the 70's. Sometimes when unloading DFO would take plug samples from the fish. We asked them about the difference between white and red springs. They claimed there is no difference.
In my opinion, the whites have a higher oil content.

dawn2dusk
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I know alot of asians around here that would pay big bucks for white salmon. It has higher fat content and when prepared right taste excellent.

Why not?
10-20-2007, 08:11 PM
We catch both in the glacier-fed Lynn Canal, south of Skagway, Alaska.

I have always preferred the white chinooks. They are far better tasting!

Ted