PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Mule deer

GEF
01-04-2020, 08:44 PM
I spent the holidays at my cabin in region 8 near Princeton .It was encouraging to see the numbers of wintering deer on the south facing slopes .The same hill sides were void of sign in years gone by.Good to see!
I spend a lot of time scouting from July to mid November ,that is 3 or 4 days a week in the bush.
I saw a lot more mature and immature bucks this year than any other in recent memory.Far less wolf sign too. Fingers crossed it stays that way .

bigredchev
01-04-2020, 09:08 PM
I’m new to region 8 but i do see a large amount of fawns and does which I’ve been told is a good sign from the more seasoned generation. There has to be growth and replenishing

HarryToolips
01-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Good to hear....I'm seeing ok mule deer pops where I am, though im concerned with the talk of wolf sightings in my area...I covered a lot of ground today, and they have definitely been pushed down lower due to accumulating snow up high...we just really need development on winter range to slow down..

RyoTHC
01-04-2020, 10:04 PM
I’ve noticed the same with the white tail around that area, strong numbers. I didn’t spend a tonne of time chasing Mulies so I saw less this year than usual but I see no reason why they wouldn’t be capitalizing as well.. let’s hope for lots and lots of healthy twins this spring.

REMINGTON JIM
01-04-2020, 11:05 PM
That's GREAT News Gary - Now your gonna have Hunters all over your Spot ! :tongue: RJ

358mag
01-04-2020, 11:11 PM
That's GREAT News Gary - Now your gonna have Hunters all over your Spot ! :tongue: RJ
You saying we have a few gut pile hunters on line :lol:

GEF
01-05-2020, 05:09 AM
There already is. You need street lights on the logging roads on the weekends.Most guys are glued to a seat and the game are getting smarter so they stick to the timber and xmas trees .
Just nice to see some recovery .

REMINGTON JIM
01-05-2020, 09:42 AM
There already is. You need street lights on the logging roads on the weekends.Most guys are glued to a seat and the game are getting smarter so they stick to the timber and xmas trees .
Just nice to see some recovery .

Yea you Bet Buddy - RJ :smile:

Iron Glove
01-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Last summer and fall we noticed way more deer in general and bucks in particular in 8, Son around princeton where he lives and us around our Tulameen "cabin." This winter noticing good numbers so let's hope it a good omen for the 2020 season.

HighCountryBC
01-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Good to hear....I'm seeing ok mule deer pops where I am, though im concerned with the talk of wolf sightings in my area...I covered a lot of ground today, and they have definitely been pushed down lower due to accumulating snow up high...we just really need development on winter range to slow down..

You’d be surprised at the number of deer that don’t spend their time on traditional winter range. Was flying for mulies recently and the amount of deer still up at tree line was considerably higher than low-mid elevation.

GEF
01-05-2020, 11:24 AM
You’d be surprised at the number of deer that don’t spend their time on traditional winter range. Was flying for mulies recently and the amount of deer still up at tree line was considerably higher than low-mid elevation.
I believe you there are two groups .Some winter up high on the wind blown south slopes.and in the tree pockets .Keeping in mind they can move up or down as they desire .I saw bucks rutting down at lower elevations that i saw earlier in the year in the alpine over 30 kms away .The low snow pack last year in point ,friends that sled in the alpine noted a lot more deer wintering up high on the wind blown slopes .

338win mag
01-05-2020, 11:47 AM
When we have a deep snow like we do now and the temps get above freezing the snow melts, then freezes and is hard on their legs, so deer like to hang out at higher elevations where it wont thaw/freeze, higher ridges with big fir.

rageous
01-05-2020, 12:35 PM
Did you get a buck this year GEF?
what time of year?

boxhitch
01-05-2020, 12:43 PM
'so deer like to hang out at higher elevations where it wont thaw/freeze, higher ridges with big fir.'

There are a few of those still around
Play areas for the snowbikes

358mag
01-05-2020, 12:44 PM
I believe you there are two groups .Some winter up high on the wind blown south slopes.and in the tree pockets .Keeping in mind they can move up or down as they desire .I saw bucks rutting down at lower elevations that i saw earlier in the year in the alpine over 30 kms away .The low snow pack last year in point ,friends that sled in the alpine noted a lot more deer wintering up high on the wind blown slopes .
Lot less wolf's up in the high country . Fingers crossed they stay away .

GEF
01-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Did you get a buck this year GEF?
what time of year?
I caved and shot a nice one in Oct in the alpine, over two feet of snow and around 7000 feet I believe.

https://i.imgur.com/WYejG0P.jpg?1

HarryToolips
01-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Cool good to know! I wonder if they all rut up high or come down? They must come down by the time things start to green up lower as well you'd think???

white moose
01-05-2020, 09:38 PM
I caved and shot a nice one in Oct in the alpine, over two feet of snow and around 7000 feet I believe.

https://i.imgur.com/WYejG0P.jpg?1

That's a wicked buck.