PDA

View Full Version : Time to start tying Chironomids

Rieber
12-30-2019, 12:56 PM
With hunting season pretty much over - still some reloading work to do for a couple recent aquisitions, I felt like wrapping up a few chironomids just to get back into my weekend morning routine of tying a few while I have my coffee.

Looks like I've buried a few supplies when I put tying gear away to make space for reloading gear so I need to step out and pick up a few things like a new pair of scissors, a couple fly boxes, thread, a few beads and maybe some wire if I can find the colours I want otherwise I'll be placing a order.

Here's what I wrapped this morning to get me into the mood again. These are on size 16 hooks.

There will be other patterns that I need to fill for a couple specific lakes - need to stock up my buddies boxes as well as my own. hehe - like I really need any more flies :roll:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0032.jpg

Danny_29
12-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Did the same, If I can figure how to post pictures I'll put them up.

You using antron fir the gills?

warnniklz
12-30-2019, 02:01 PM
I really gotta get me a new vise

thick
12-30-2019, 02:35 PM
With hunting season pretty much over - still some reloading work to do for a couple recent aquisitions, I felt like wrapping up a few chironomids just to get back into my weekend morning routine of tying a few while I have my coffee.

Looks like I've buried a few supplies when I put tying gear away to make space for reloading gear so I need to step out and pick up a few things like a new pair of scissors, a couple fly boxes, thread, a few beads and maybe some wire if I can find the colours I want otherwise I'll be placing a order.

Here's what I wrapped this morning to get me into the mood again. These are on size 16 hooks.

There will be other patterns that I need to fill for a couple specific lakes - need to stock up my buddies boxes as well as my own. hehe - like I really need any more flies :roll:

How much coffee do you drink? I can spit out a dozen/hr if I’m in the zone and it’s a simple tie. You musta polished off a full pot this morning... nice chronies btw

srupp
12-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Hmmm everything's out for Gun metal grey chronomid ..just wating for thread.
Try TOGENS fly shop for beads, hooks..tungston beads etc.
Tight lines
Srupp

Rieber
12-30-2019, 03:47 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00431.jpg

I'm having a heck of a time trying to take and post a decent picture. New phone and I never had this problem with my old one. Oh well, at least you can see some colour this time.

Rieber
12-30-2019, 03:50 PM
How much coffee do you drink? I can spit out a dozen/hr if I’m in the zone and it’s a simple tie. You musta polished off a full pot this morning... nice chronies btw

Full pot of low octane. Hi test makes me a little jittery.

RICKADY
12-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Good looking flies Rieber,
Where ya going fishing and when.
Fish On!!!

Rieber
12-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Going to fish Mill Lake for Pike soon after the ice comes off.

RICKADY
12-30-2019, 05:34 PM
That's funny, so is this,
Thousand comedian's outta work and your cracking a joke, Sorry R just had to.
Had a lot of fun at Mill lake in the summers with the kids, easy to catch something there, Trout, Crappies, Catfish, and BASS,
Did you see the teenage boy who caught a 9 1/2 pound Bass this spring, Monster for a small lake, it's still out there kid let it go.
I let everything go there.
What there's Pike there? LOL
Happy Fishing.

Ride Red
12-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Nice job on the tying Rieber. I’ve tied some lately too, but have been working on a few new items for my boat. Mmmmmm spring will be here soon; can’t wait.

Liveforthehunt
12-30-2019, 06:20 PM
This the season can never have to many. I dont know how many times a buddy comes to the boat asking for a couple of what I got on good to have 15 of each ;)

Rieber
12-30-2019, 06:31 PM
That's funny, so is this,
Thousand comedian's outta work and your cracking a joke, Sorry R just had to.
Had a lot of fun at Mill lake in the summers with the kids, easy to catch something there, Trout, Crappies, Catfish, and BASS,
Did you see the teenage boy who caught a 9 1/2 pound Bass this spring, Monster for a small lake, it's still out there kid let it go.
I let everything go there.
What there's Pike there? LOL
Happy Fishing.

I see at least one big bass come out of there every year. 9-1/2# is a beast indeed. My biggest rainbow was 8 lbs - this was a virtually fin-less retired brood stock sex slave from the local hatchery.

I also release everything I catch at Mill Lake - there are lots of people that keep their catch there but I won't.

There have been rumours of Pike in Mill Lake for years now - even a few pictures floated about. Don't believe everything you hear but I know for certain.

Kane Valley lakes are a good place to go. Lots of lakes but if you put your time in, you'll eventually figure out the lakes. Not hard.

Anyways, I don't give out specific details on my "go to" lakes as I fish with a couple buddies and I won't give out information that would congest our favorite destinations.

Rieber
12-30-2019, 06:37 PM
This the season can never have to many. I dont know how many times a buddy comes to the boat asking for a couple of what I got on good to have 15 of each ;)

I always open my fly boxes to my fishing buddies. I can never use all the flies I tie in 10 lifetimes anyways. I just like to tie and I really get a sense of pride and joy when my buddies are catching fish on the flies I've tied. Just not so much fun when they keep out-fishing me with my flies. Actually I do fairly well and some days it's sheer magic.

RICKADY
12-30-2019, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=Rieber;2142384]I see at least one big bass come out of there every year. 9-1/2# is a beast indeed. My biggest rainbow was 8 lbs - this was a virtually fin-less retired brood stock sex slave from the local hatchery.

I also release everything I catch at Mill Lake - there are lots of people that keep their catch there but I won't.

There have been rumours of Pike in Mill Lake for years now - even a few pictures floated about. Don't believe everything you hear but I know for certain.

Kane Valley lakes are a good place to go. Lots of lakes but if you put your time in, you'll eventually figure out the lakes. Not hard.

Anyways, I don't give out specific details on my "go to" lakes as I fish with a couple buddies and I won't give out information that would congest our favorite destinations.[/QUOTE

It's all good R,
Enjoy your spot as I will mine, fishing as is hunting is all about a good time,
Fish on!!!!

srupp
12-30-2019, 11:40 PM
Hmmm fished for rainbows for 12 days..58 trout biggest over 11 pounds.released..smallest was 4 pounds..kept 1 fish 7.4 pounds.
fished same lake this fall only 3 days fishing..only 2 or so hours each day..9 pound was best I could do..
Strange...I was one of the least productive fisherman out there..some very skilled knowledgable fly fisherman..and I learned new tricks daily.
One of our members? Came over and shared some of his secrets. .only sorry I dont drink didnt even have a single beer to share..damn..
Chronies in the spring..leeches..scuds in the fall..
Have recipes for 200 flies to tie starting in January...
This post got me to check..order left Vancouver today.yyyyyipppeee..
Starting to get components out and organized.
Now if I could just get the magic number for Dugan lake brook trout..Susan and I had double header there 10 years ago..rodeo..both brookies were over 5 # and both successfully landed.
Susan has done much better than I for big fish..14 pounder on fly ! And yes somewhere I DO indeed have a photo with both beauties.
REALLY enjoyed last years bear season and meeting 2 members for some hunting HOWEVER the following 11 days of flyfishing were best of my life..so far..REALLY looking forward to this spring bear hunt..2 weeks.followed by 2 weeks of fly fishing.
Cheers
steven
ps great looking Chronies !

Rieber
01-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Well, I finished tying the first box (for this year) of size 16 chironomids.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/02_Jan_2020.jpg

srupp
01-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Hmmmm very impressive..uniform in size, length, taper..I like..thank you for sharing..
got to get the rest of my supplies..and get my ass in gear.. your photos provide great incentive.
Cheers
steven

Rieber
01-02-2020, 07:15 PM
5/64" tungsten beads

mastercaster
01-03-2020, 09:25 AM
5/64" tungsten beads

My most used bead size, as well. Nice ties, Pat!

srupp
01-03-2020, 03:50 PM
Hmmm Togens flytying chronomid parts, hooks arrived..can organize it on Sunday. .start tying Monday.
hmmm I think 3/32 is my main sized bead ?
Srupp

Danny_29
01-03-2020, 03:59 PM
I also use very small beads.

Split shot for weight to keep everything down...one very small piece 18' above the fly then a larger piece above my swivel which would be about 24" above the small splitshot.

Rieber
01-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Hmmm Togens flytying chronomid parts, hooks arrived..can organize it on Sunday. .start tying Monday.
hmmm I think 3/32 is my main sized bead ?
Srupp

3/32" is typical for size 14

BeerMan
01-03-2020, 07:49 PM
My wife and I are taking a
4 week Fly Tying course at Sea Run Fly and Tackle starting this Sunday:lol:

Jagermeister
01-03-2020, 09:34 PM
Tie some real flies eh.

https://i.postimg.cc/3r4JzrCZ/IMG-5182.jpg

srupp
01-04-2020, 12:38 AM
Hmmmmm very nice tying...thank you for sharing yet another talent...
Cheers
steven

Jagermeister
01-04-2020, 01:01 AM
Hmmmmm very nice tying...thank you for sharing yet another talent...
Cheers
steven
Yup. Just not another pretty face.

Danny_29
01-04-2020, 06:37 PM
Tying some up now that power is back on.

Whats everyones favorite pattern?

Wish mine was cooler but it fishes like crazy.

Size 16
Iron Gray thread body
Either gun metal holo rib or black wire...sometimes both.
Small black bead head
Very thin the whole way with limited taper.

srupp
01-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Tying some up now that power is back on.

Whats everyones favorite pattern?

Wish mine was cooler but it fishes like crazy.

Size 16
Iron Gray thread body
Either gun metal holo rib or black wire...sometimes both.
Small black bead head
Very thin the whole way with limited taper.

Hmmm seen a bunch of that pattern last spring..cant say I have even heard of holo rib wire ?
Google gun metal grey chronomid..and update on gun metal grey shootout..Togens chrony skin..black bead tungston..red extra small wire rib..coated with thin resin.... ULTRAVIOLET formula by Loon..thin taper size # 16.
Will have some tied by Tuesday.however I am not up to the skill level of Rieber..or Muscrat hesitant to open up to comments...obviously Dennis is very skilled tier also.
cheers tight lines
Srupp

Rieber
01-05-2020, 02:50 PM
A couple people have asked me how I cut my anti-static bags into strips for wrapping chironomids. I figure a couple pictures will best describe what I do.

First - take a small stack of single side razor blades, line them up and then clamp them in a vise-grip pliers. After the first time you do this you'll learn how to angle the blades to make your cutting easy. Clamp the vise-grip in a bench vise or just use a C-clamp and clamp this to your benchtop/table.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_00581.jpg

Cut your piece of AS bag keeping in mind that you cut your bag to provide you a strip that is enough to wrap one chironomid - or make them longer if you want. Angle your AS piece and keep the sheet tightly spread apart. Starting about a 1/2" away from the bottom of the AS sheet, lower the sheet over the corner of the blades - pierce the sheet and pull the sheet down to within 1/2" to the top of the sheet. If you don't cut all the way through the end of the sheet, you'll contain all your strips and your supply is nice and neat and you just nip off the strip you want.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0060.jpg

Repeat the strip cutting across the sheet. Don't try make your cuts too close together or you'll just make a mess. Prepare the the pieces you want to cut and you can make yourself a lifetime worth of strips within 15 minutes. The nice thing about this method is it's speed and strip width consistency. I find these strips are perfect for size 16 or larger chiro's. I do this so frequently for tying that I keep the blades clamped in the vise-grips and I just store the assembly in a container until with my supplies until I need it again.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_00611.jpg

This is what I like to do. I know the ruler and razor blade or pizza-cutter type of material cutter is also preferred by others. Whatever works best for you is all that matters.

Hope this helps someone.

Danny_29
01-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Hmmm seen a bunch of that pattern last spring..cant say I have even heard of holo rib wire ?
Google gun metal grey chronomid..and update on gun metal grey shootout..Togens chrony skin..black bead tungston..red extra small wire rib..coated with thin resin.... ULTRAVIOLET formula by Loon..thin taper size # 16.
Will have some tied by Tuesday.however I am not up to the skill level of Rieber..or Muscrat hesitant to open up to comments...obviously Dennis is very skilled tier also.
cheers tight lines
Srupp

My bad...just black wire or holo tinsel.

I used tungsten for a while but have went away from it. Never seen the benifit for $ as I use split shot pretty religiously...what makes you stick with it?

srupp
01-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm incredible insight...never would have figured that one out...have a bag that needs to be cut...
thank you
srupp

Rieber
01-05-2020, 04:49 PM
My bad...just black wire or holo tinsel.

I used tungsten for a while but have went away from it. Never seen the benifit for $ as I use split shot pretty religiously...what makes you stick with it?

Well, I often like to fish naked so I'm one of those guys.

I often sell or barter/trade my chironomids and the tungsten beads add value.

I have lots of beads from bulk purchases so I use what I have on hand.

I save my split shots for ice fishing. Never used them for flyfishing. Adds another element and opportunity for knots and tangles - I don't need any more help with that as it is. lol.

280 77
01-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Wow fantastic tip on cutting anti-static . Thank you , and nice chronies .

Cyrus
01-05-2020, 07:21 PM
https://i.ibb.co/873C71f/20190407-220506.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/TKTg8V8/20190407-220456.jpg

A few...

srupp
01-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Hmmm I always use tungston if available...for a few cents more..cheap in the long run..
fishing..and hunting..most fun you can have with your clothes on..lol regardless of " fishing naked " comments..lol
Cyrus. .great tying..you guys are an encouragement and example..thank you..
cheers
Srupp

HarryToolips
01-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Looks awesome ! I can't wait to learn chironomid fishing one day...I started to get into tying flies....

Rieber
01-05-2020, 10:14 PM
It takes a lot of work and commitment to fill up the big boxes. I know, I filled a few boxes a couple winters ago when I was a home recovering from shoulder replacement surgery. Sure is a satisfying feeling when you do finally put that last chiro in the box but then the problems begin - what do you use when you're sitting on the lake watching a still indicator. Too many options. Nice work.

Liveforthehunt
01-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Looks awesome ! I can't wait to learn chironomid fishing one day...I started to get into tying flies....

It will change your entire outlook on fishing sir it's something special .

BRvalley
01-06-2020, 09:53 AM
some impressive work on this thread! good motivation to bust out the vice again this winter

srupp
01-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Hmmm Houston we have a problem..
Tried putting a 2mm 5/64 bead on #16 hook..no go..neither would a 2.4mm 3/32 bead fit a #16 ..
What the heck am I doing wrong? 2 hrs not 1 bead on hook grrrrrrr
Thank you.
Simple Steven

Jagermeister
01-06-2020, 04:30 PM
When I was a kid growing up alongside Penticton Creek, I fished it pretty much on a daily basis when there was no ice covering it. Which was most often. I fished the creek with a little 5' solid fiberglass rod and a little bait casting reel (sort of looked like a level wind but without the level wind). The line was braided and had about 4' of monofilament attached to the end. I attached a little round float, the ones with the spring loaded line grasper and then a fly or maybe a hook with worms. I would peel off a quantity of line and drop it to my feet and then taking the rod, I would drop the float about 1' below the tip and cast it out and then stay focused on the bobber (float) waiting in anticipation for the thing to dip anticipating the strike. In the creek, float would drift down the creek away and then have to be retrieved and the process repeated. Fishing this method in the lake was another matter. Since there was no stream flow except for wind drift, there was not reason to retrieve the line so one would just sit back and watch for that anticipated strike. So why am I writing this? Chironomid fishing in my mind is simply float fishing. Do chironomid fishers ever have to "mend" the line? To them, mending the line means watch that little float for some movement. Sorry guys, but that the way I see it.

srupp
01-06-2020, 04:52 PM
Hmm yes there is a different way....either forget the bobber..corkie float. .or not..cast out..let the chronomid sink...then. .s l...o...w....l...y......inch in the line..with the corkie. .the fly stays in the same depth...without the float..the fly may rise a bit as you slowly bring the line in.cast and repeat.
part of the fun of chronomiding is the similarities to bobber fishing as a youngster.
Steven

Jagermeister
01-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Hmm yes there is a different way....either forget the bobber..corkie float. .or not..cast out..let the chronomid sink...then. .s l...o...w....l...y......inch in the line..with the corkie. .the fly stays in the same depth...without the float..the fly may rise a bit as you slowly bring the line in.cast and repeat.
part of the fun of chronomiding is the similarities to bobber fishing as a youngster.
Steven
LOL Steven, you are the ultimate diplomat.

Rieber
01-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Hmmm Houston we have a problem..
Tried putting a 2mm 5/64 bead on #16 hook..no go..neither would a 2.4mm 3/32 bead fit a #16 ..
What the heck am I doing wrong? 2 hrs not 1 bead on hook grrrrrrr
Thank you.
Simple Steven

Well, let's look at the obvious first:
1. Where are the beads getting stuck?
2. Do the beads have a hole that passes all the way through the bead?
3. Are you using thin wire or thick wire hooks? What brand/model hooks are you using?
4. Are you pinching the barbs? You shouldn't have to if you have thin wire hooks.

Something fishy going on for sure. I'll bet the beads are sticking at the bend and on the barb. This happened to me when I bought the wrong style hooks.

A picture will tell the story.

srupp
01-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Well, let's look at the obvious first:
1. Where are the beads getting stuck?
2. Do the beads have a hole that passes all the way through the bead?
3. Are you using thin wire or thick wire hooks? What brand/model hooks are you using?
4. Are you pinching the barbs? You shouldn't have to if you have thin wire hooks.

Something fishy going on for sure. I'll bet the beads are sticking at the bend and on the barb. This happened to me when I bought the wrong style hooks.

A picture will tell the story.

I am using Daiichi..and Togens..haven't tried others..Daiichi is thin wire..
The white colored tungston beads wont go over the first bit at the point..
I pressed the barbs down on the hooks and the white beads did go on..did 20 so far..
Cant remember ever having to pinch barbs down..had I known I would have bought barbless .
Once past the pressed down barb, the bead does go around the bend.
2mm did go on # 16 with barb pinched...
Maybe different mnf.of beads? Too thick of coating on bead?
Cant think of thinner hook material than Daiichi..beads dont go on without pinching barbs also.
cheers
steven

Rieber
01-06-2020, 06:53 PM
I am using Daiichi..and Togens..haven't tried others..Daiichi is thin wire..
The white colored tungston beads wont go over the first bit at the point..
I pressed the barbs down on the hooks and the white beads did go on..did 20 so far..
Cant remember ever having to pinch barbs down..had I known I would have bought barbless .
Once past the pressed down barb, the bead does go around the bend.
2mm did go on # 16 with barb pinched...
Maybe different mnf.of beads? Too thick of coating on bead?
Cant think of thinner hook material than Daiichi..beads dont go on without pinching barbs also.
cheers
steven

As you indicated, the holes must have been coated and the holes are too small. Contact Togens and have them correct the problem for you. Even if you did figure out a way to clear the holes, you're dealing with micro surgery and this is going to consume more time dealing with a hole than it takes to tie the bug.

Sloppy coating batch - at least there is lots of time to get this corrected before you really need the flies.

Just for the heck of it, try poking the hole with your bodkin or pin. Even a drill bit if you have the size.

elknut
01-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Hello Steven ....I'm the guy that gave you the pattern for those Chironomids ...I use daiichi 1710 -2xl hooks ...I tye some chironomids with gills and some without gills...If tying gills put the large hole of the bead towards the eye...If no gills then put the small hole towards the eye...I find that I have to force all beads on the hook ..I buy my beads from Canadian Llama ...I use tungsten ..dull black ....I dont pinch the barb on my hooks ...I haven't used 5/64 th beads on my size 16 chironomids ....I know some guys use 5/64th beads but I have not found it necessary ...The pattern is tyed by many on Stillwaters with 3/16 th beads and they like it ...Sometimes a little persuasion is all you need ...Dennis

HikerHunter
01-07-2020, 06:46 PM
lol hooks look a little dull jager. what is that?

Jagermeister
01-07-2020, 08:00 PM
lol hooks look a little dull jager. what is that?
Those are broach hooks. Wouldn't want you to stick yourself when pinning it on the girlfriend.

srupp
01-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Hello Steven ....I'm the guy that gave you the pattern for those Chironomids ...I use daiichi 1710 -2xl hooks ...I tye some chironomids with gills and some without gills...If tying gills put the large hole of the bead towards the eye...If no gills then put the small hole towards the eye...I find that I have to force all beads on the hook ..I buy my beads from Canadian Llama ...I use tungsten ..dull black ....I dont pinch the barb on my hooks ...I haven't used 5/64 th beads on my size 16 chironomids ....I know some guys use 5/64th beads but I have not found it necessary ...The pattern is tyed by many on Stillwaters with 3/16 th beads and they like it ...Sometimes a little persuasion is all you need ...Dennis

HI DENNIS. .certainly WONDERFUL to hear from you. Lol your pattern is safe on my Regal vice..
hope your wife is better ?
I contacted the seller..who checked with BC flyguys..should not have to pinch barbs..
however not only 5/64 but 3/32 wouldnt fit on daiichi or Togens #16 2xl hook..
Thank you gents appreciate the help..insights...
Dennis THANK YOU for taking the time to help me with chronomid fishing. .tactics..set up..patterns.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
01-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Hmmmm all beads are being shipped as NFG....err defective..
3 days is enough aggrivation...
Thank you guys for insights..and suggestions.
Much appreciated.

Pissed

HarryToolips
01-07-2020, 09:58 PM
It will change your entire outlook on fishing sir it's something special .
Cool, I look forward to it...

Danny_29
01-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm all beads are being shipped as NFG....err defective..
3 days is enough aggrivation...
Thank you guys for insights..and suggestions.
Much appreciated.

Pissed

I know they sell different levels of beads as well...the cheaper bottom of the line version are more inconsistent...believe it even says that on the web page. I force them on with my thumb nail rather than pinch barbs...unfortunately some are still to tight so I switch and try again. I'll be left qith a few tight ones but at least I'm pinching as few barbs as possible at the desk.

Also when the bead slips on after a bit of pressure I stab myself in the end of the thumb pretty regularly lol. Nothing past the barb...yet.

elknut
01-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Oh Steven just a little tidbit...I use a small needle nose to hold the beads then push the hook through the hole in the bead ..I've not had much trouble with the 3/16 th beads and havent used the 5/64ths ...Good luck on the bench and tight lines this spring and summer ...Dennis

Rieber
01-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Oh Steven just a little tidbit...I use a small needle nose to hold the beads then push the hook through the hole in the bead ..I've not had much trouble with the 3/16 th beads and havent used the 5/64ths ...Good luck on the bench and tight lines this spring and summer ...Dennis

Good tip Elknut - I've done the same with my barb pinching pliers which are flat-no teeth so the beads don't get marred up. Still this is extra work which shouldn't have to be done with these beads.

srupp
01-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys..300 beads is a lot of hassel to return..however store is going to expedite this return..AND check this batch is going to fit.
Great tip on the needle nose..may just get a small pair and put a thin coat of shoe goo..so beads dont get marred.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
01-08-2020, 03:58 PM
Hmmm tried non tungston beads.from same supplier...WORKED FLAWLESSLY, EFFORTLESSLY, PERFECTLY.seems the issue is limited to tungston beads..both white and black.
thanks so much guys..really lost my cool over the past several days on something that was supposed to be relaxing..usually is.
Dennis if your ever planning on visiting the Pond..give me a heads up for me to put on coffee.
Srupp

Rieber
01-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Here's my second box for 2020:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/box_2_2020.jpg

srupp
01-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Hmmm great tying..ive got 15 beads on hooks in 3 days.., grrrr
Tommorow I look for single razor blades as per Riebers tip..might as well cut bags waiting...
Thank you Rieber for tips and your inspirational full fly box photos. ..
Hope to actually tie some chronies..and share my efforts..maybe..lol
Steven

Cyrus
01-08-2020, 10:59 PM
Srupp...Some suggestions and shared issues from what you described...

1. While I do order stuff from Togens I stopped ordering their tungsten beads. I find for the most part the hole sizes are way to varied and mostly on the too small size. I use 2x wire for most of my c-mids as I find the 1x just bend out too easy with fish. My fave hook is the 1120 Daiichi or the 1760 as described above. You can still obtain a very slim profile with a 2x wire and they will never bend or break. I order almost all of my beads from either canadian llama out of Kamloops or a seller out of Abbotsford on Ebay known as Hardy Deluxe. I have had zero issues with either, although Hardy Deluxe is cheaper and he often throws in free stuff. Both are very fast to ship out. I find the bead quality and color finish from both these places superior to togens. You will not have the problem that you are with the beads from these sellers. Check out the coffee colored beads from either, work very well. My formula is 3/32 on sz 12, 5/64 on sz 14, 5/64 on sz 16, and usually 5/64 on sz 18. I very rarely tie 20's but have about a half dozen in the box, usually something in green or a limey. If I am doing a pattern I tie at minimum 3 different sizes. usually 16-12. I do have some 10's and 8's but find in the cariboo that a 12 is about as big as the cmids get.

2. If using Togen hooks I had a batch where the shape of the hook made it difficult to get any bead on. I forget the model but they were a scud hook. I also found it very difficult to pinch the barb on them. As much as they are cheap I personally don't like the quality. Again llama and hardy deluxe have lots of hook options.

3. As for cutting asb I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Westcott-Titanium-12-Inch-Trimmer-13779P/dp/B00CQ43I0C

As asb is rather stiff to work with you want to get as narrow/straight as a profile as possible. Once you get the hang of it you will get a desired cut. I find if the asb is too wide of a profile it just builds up the body too much. Experiment with your underbodies, like buzzer wrap, green thread, blue thread, etc. Asb cmids were really the ticket for me last year. Just don't overlap the asb too much as you want it to have that dull chromy look with the underbody color coming through when changing angles. I find people get hung up on the usual chromies but if inspected carefully the chromie cmid often has an underbody color that if you can match appropriately will make you the envy of the lake! Obviously a throat pump is a must.

4. For wire options I use extra small gauge or flybox micro wire on all my cmids no matter the size. I find small to be to be too thick and stands out too much...just a me thing perhaps but a cmid rib does not protrude out. I will also use thread as a rib in sz 8/0 as it will blend in very well with the taper and body. 6-8 even spaced wraps and I like to add a couple wraps extra at the bottom for a bloody look (when using red).

5. I tie some with gills and some with none..just depends on what I am tying. My fave bead with gills is black nickel, almost all my hooks cmids with gills are black nickel beads. Antron or uni stretch can be used..although I prefer uni stretch. White beads will often imitate a gill or sometimes a white bead will work better.

6. Not sure what you are coating your cmids with. I used to primarily use Sally Hansen nail polish but found over time it would crack and the cmid would not last all that long. I have switched to uv resin and use bug bond or solarez. Get a good uv torch to cure the resin!. I find it gives the cmid a very nice glass look and it will last a very long time. It will sometimes darken the fly but I have found it makes it look better in most cases.

7. Get some ideas from Youtube on patterns. BC Fly guys, interior fly fishing, John Kent, Chan/Rowley all have clips available.

I am sure you might know a lot of what I typed out but just my 2 cents for things that work for me! Fishing them is a different story...its not just watching a bobber imo.

elknut
01-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Steven Rupp....Will do ...Take care ...Dennis

elknut
01-09-2020, 12:17 PM
Just thought I would put this out there for information on bead size to hook size..Google ....Bead size to hook size ..Info comes up from various websites ..The most informative one is Canadian Llama ...They post up name and number of hook manufactures and bead size ..It depends on you as to what bead size will fit ..3/32 is a crossover for 16-18 and 14 ...I wouldnt use 3/32 on an 18.....5/64ths can go on a 16 and an 18 ...Check it out for yourself ...What works for you is the correct answer...Tight lines Dennis...

srupp
01-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Thanks Dennis.talked with Kent this morning.APPRECIATE the time to once again share your knowledge, experience and obvious skills..thanks for dragging me along..lol
cheers
Srupp

Rieber
01-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Just finished another box of 16's:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_01151.jpg

srupp
01-18-2020, 10:53 PM
Just finished another box of 16's:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_01151.jpg

Hmmm beautiful work ..impressive..im actually finishing 2 weeks of SFA..waiting for beads..
Just a waste of time..wire, thread, resin, led cure light..hooks...etc etc..
Oh well as my dentist always says...SPIT happens...grrr
Well done Riber..
Cheers
srupp

Danny_29
01-19-2020, 07:54 AM
I'm closing in on 300 now... almost finished the box...all with black beads and gills.

Two things... don't use antron for the gills, doesn't look white once in the water, pick yourself up some cuticle scissors for trimming, you'll thank me later.

elknut
01-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Pretty impressive chironomids Reiber ...Looks like you will do very good catching ....Lol..Stupid question ....Do you use all those chironomids ?....I find I use a very few patterns now...The days of boxes of patterns has gone down ..Anyway tight lines ...Dennis

Rieber
01-19-2020, 02:32 PM
Pretty impressive chironomids Reiber ...Looks like you will do very good catching ....Lol..Stupid question ....Do you use all those chironomids ?....I find I use a very few patterns now...The days of boxes of patterns has gone down ..Anyway tight lines ...Dennis

This year I'm primarily just tying specific patterns for a few lakes that I fish with a couple friends. They don't tie and since I enjoy it as a hobby, I like wrapping up a few for us and a few friends that happen to come along or stop by. I also get requests from various websites to buy some chiros and I purged my boxes and given away a ton of flies to kids (at least I was told they were going to their kids. lol. ) I also end up trading a lot of flies for hunting stuff that guys are selling - I like trading flies for goods - kind of fun and opens up a lot of conversations about locations and timing. Also kind of fun when you're hammering fish but you see a guy struggling. I'll often give a guy a bunch of flies and a little intel and then get an absolute charge when he starts hooting and hollering as he's suddenly into fish - it's an awesome feeling when others are catching fish on flies I've tied. Really nice for me and this has taken the sport to another level of pride and enjoyment for me.

I will experiment with different materials and colours at times because it's amazing how much a subtle change will turn a an okay day to a seriously awesome day. This is why you'll see a number of variants of the same basic pattern.

I just picked up some of that Blue Steel chirony wrap so I've been tying bugs with that over the past couple days. We'll see what the hype was all about. Whenever I tried to buy it last year the inventory was gone. I do like how the chiros are coming out brighter than the ASB strips I was using. ASB always seems to produce but we've been observing brighter looking bugs and this might be the answer. I'll keep switch up between reloading and fly tying to keep me entertained in the early mornings and while relaxing in the evenings. By the time the lakes start fishing, I'll have way more flies that we can ever use.

It's also easy for me as I have a room dedicated to my tying and reloading so I don't have to worry about my desk disturbed which let's me walk away from the desk or pick right up where I left off at any given moment. Sometimes just waiting for dinner I'll go spin off half a dozen flies and pretty soon another box is filled.

srupp
01-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Hmmm read the BCFLYGUYS gun metal shootout..best 5 materials ..Togens chrony skin came out on top for their evaluation.
I picked up razer blades today to do the Rieber ASB cut up..lol..
I do what you do..roll top desk..can walk away nothing gets touched..
Currently fresh rooster thawing..will boax and dry mid week..
Eventually I will be allowed to tie chronies..lol
Was looking at updating my minnow patterns too hmmmmmm
cheers
Steven

srupp
01-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Hmmm HUGE SHOUT OUT to you guys..and to Sherri @Togens...Kent @ Canadian Illama...and finally but not least Rob @ BC FLYGUYS for his insightful SOLUTION to my tungston bead problem..
have it finally solved..reorders are coming tomorrow.
I appreciate it muchly.
Cheers
Steven

XPEIer
01-31-2020, 07:39 AM
SRUPP, I have a pattern that works pretty well when the bombers are coming off Dugan, 2xl #14 curved nymph, gills, brass bead, green thread base, med brown holographic and one strand of gun metal flashabou for ribs. When you wrap the holographic brown up leave a bit of space between wraps so a bit of the green shows, then wrap the one strand of flashabou, coat with your favorite coating. These bombers seem to come off in deeper water, off the big house in 18-22ft.

XPEIER

srupp
01-31-2020, 11:31 AM
Hmm will make a couple up, thank you.I know the spot you referred to.
im in the phone book..you must stop by for coffee..
Cheers
Steven Rupp

srupp
02-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Hmmm THANK YOU to you ALL for getting the chronomid tying back on track. !
got ALL beads on ALL hooks that get beads,
Then finished 100 # 12 2x tying gills on.
Sunday 100 # 14 2x tying gills on
Monday 100 # 16 2x tying gills on
slowly and more importantly..enjoyably progressing..
Cheers
Srupp

Rieber
02-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Another box of bugs wrapped up for the buddies. And that's going to do it for me this season. I'll fill a couple empty slots in last year's boxes and unless some new pattern or material catches my attention or if more people ask to purchase, I'll put the fly tying materials away. This nice weather has got me itching for some shooting and load development as the early bear season will get here soon. I still want to get some yard work done before the fun begins so I sure would like to get all my tying and loading benchwork done and out of the way. Almost there. :-P

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0172.jpg?5604

srupp
03-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Hmm Riber, I set up and sliced up a antistatic bag today using your stacked blade suggestion.
Worked like a charm.
Thank you for this suggestion.
Cheers
Steven

Danny_29
03-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Hmm Riber, I set up and sliced up a antistatic bag today using your stacked blade suggestion.
Worked like a charm.
Thank you for this suggestion.
Cheers
Steven

X2. Fantastic little tool.

Rieber
03-03-2020, 10:07 PM
X2. Fantastic little tool.

Good to hear this Gentlemen. Quick and easy.

tom
03-28-2020, 11:46 AM
You guys should try products from Daryl Martens.

daryl_martens@yahoo.ca 604-308-4723

His seller's name in eBay is Hardydeluxe.

His products are superior than Togen and only slightly more expensive.

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2018/02/22/IMGP1984.jpg

Tom

oddsix
01-05-2021, 04:03 PM
^ Care to share the recipe on that one Tom?

high horse Hal
03-26-2022, 09:18 AM
I will experiment with different materials and colours at times because it's amazing how much a subtle change will turn a an okay day to a seriously awesome day. This is why you'll see a number of variants of the same basic pattern.

I just picked up some of that Blue Steel chirony wrap so I've been tying bugs with that over the past couple days. We'll see what the hype was all about. Whenever I tried to buy it last year the inventory was gone. I do like how the chiros are coming out brighter than the ASB strips I was using. ASB always seems to produce but we've been observing brighter looking bugs and this might be the answer. I'll keep switch up between reloading and fly tying to keep me entertained in the early mornings and while relaxing in the evenings. By the time the lakes start fishing, I'll have way more flies that we can ever use.

Good info thread, thanks

R, how did this material work out for you?

warnniklz
03-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Reminds me I gotta get back to tying. Gave everything away last season.