PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage Muley

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Well, I guess I can't "wine" anymore........................................... .....

I've had two days off in early Sept since I came home from my sheep hunt on Sept long weekend. Days @ work have been long and getting longer. Between getting as much firewood as possible and playing "hockey Mom":roll: there's been basically no time for hunting other than a couple of half-hearted evening hunts............................................. .............

So..................... when we had a major power outage on Tues Oct 2 and the power wasn't supposed to come back on for at least 7 or 8 hours, I bailed out the door at work, came home, did an errand or two:wink:, split a half a pickup load of firewood(to free up some guilt), loaded up the TW and headed out!

I unloaded my motorbike and headed up to a spot I wanted to check out where I shot my second bear this spring. I passed a few vehicles on my way up which was a little surprizing and when I got to the turn off I found some active falling which I couldn't slip around. So turn around I do to check out another spot.....only to find a vehicle parked at the end of the road. I decided head back to my truck and head up a different road where I've had success in the past. As I'm heading back down I realize I forgot to fill up my bike when I drove home from work:roll:. No worries as my reserve should get me by and the other road I need to head up is a steady climb so I could coast back down if need be.

Up the road I go only to discover another 5 vehicles parked in different spots. Apparently, I wasn't the only one that took advantage of the power failure:icon_frow.

Finally, I arrive at the very end of the road and find it unoccupied. Things are looking up!

I headed up an old road that I knew dead ended and circled up on a nice fir-covered ridge and slowly still hunted along keeping the wind in my favor. Life was good I thought. I was actually out hunting!

Soon I spotted the hind quarters and ass of a big bodied muley about 90-100yds away but it's head was completely hidden behind a fir bow. Up with the binos but I could only see it's white muzzle and I think it's looking my way. "This is stupid" I thought and dropped the binos and raised my rifle as I figured I may not get much time if it's a nice buck. We stared at each other for a few minutes and the rifle started getting heavy(should have left the bipod at home that day). The deer turned and faced me but I still could not see it's head. Finally the deer turned around and I could see a nice rack. He did a quick double turn with his head. You know...... the kind they do just before they bail.
I rushed my shot and the buck took off. Did I hit him? Or was it a miss? No sign of blood but I could see his heavy tracks in the ground as he bounded and then trotted away. Not one drop of blood.

I continued to track him down and around the mountain but soon his trail petered out and I gave up hope of finding him. I turned around and hunted my way back to the road holding some "slight" hope that he may have doubled back on me.

All of a sudden I see a huge bodied buck but he sees me about the same time and quickly bounds off. He almost instantly dissappeared behind a stand of fir trees so I put my head down and ran parralel to the direction he was going. It was a good move as I had a clear line of sight on him and he had a ways to go to the next patch of bush. The TSX did it's job and down he went. A quick follow up shot put him down for good!!

I quickly got on my cell to inform my wife that I would be late and called another buddy to come give me a hand. Gotta love cell coverage!

My best muley so far!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2007, 05:17 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2007_Muley_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7837&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2007_muley_014_2_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7877&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2007_muley_015_2_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7838&ppuser=1509)

I guess I have to quit "wine-ing" now:razz:!!

Next time out will be Nov Long weekend and it looks like I can concentrate on whities. Looking forward to it!!

SSS

tufferthandug
10-05-2007, 05:28 AM
Wicked buck! Shooting a big buck is easy. It's shooting them while managing kids, wife, and job that makes it a real accomplishment. Nice work!

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2007, 05:29 AM
He's a dandy buck SSS! Region 10 pays off again!

And, of course, seeing Lorenzo's quad there really makes me EXTRA happy! :biggrin:

john-brennan
10-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Nice buck for sure.

tracker
10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
right on!!!!

I guess your "wine-ing" paid off ..:mrgreen: Its the biggest bodied muley I have seen in a long time,you have a weight on him ,dressed out? congrats

frenchbar
10-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Awesome muley SSS. congrats

Lil Buck
10-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Nice buck congrats .Thought we were going read about a 28" tv or something....:roll:

Hope I can connect on such a nice buck...:-D

Stone down Mulie next

Wildman
10-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Wicked buck! Shooting a big buck is easy. It's shooting them while managing kids, wife, and job that makes it a real accomplishment. Nice work!

I agree......I have a similar tale (just without the ending.....yet). Nice buck!

Radar
10-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Great Buck, got to love it when a plan comes together.....

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow,That motorbike has been a hell of an investment.Congratulations on a super buck,any rough estimates on the score.:-)

JohnS
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Congrats!!!:D nice buck 2 thumbs up.

daycort
10-05-2007, 07:22 AM
SSS,

Nice buck.. I realy like the part about splitting wood so you don't feel guilty before you go. Was it the guilt or the wife.. haha. I know before I started chasing my mule deer I had to finish my addition on are house. MY wife didn't say yes or no if I went she just gave me "I don't care what you do".

StoneChaser
10-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Great story, and awesome buck!

MattB
10-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Great buck Brent! What is the width on that guy?

Sharkey
10-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Excellent work! I love reading the stories that come along with the photos - a fine buck indeed!
~D

Phil
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Great work on a beauty buck!

Sieg-MM
10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice buck SSS - you deserve it! Look out whitetails, SSS doesn't have to hunt late season mulies.

BlacktailStalker
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Nice work, thats a good 'un !!

Orangethunder
10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Nice buck, should be pretty tasty too.

Gateholio
10-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Me thinks you should trip the breaker at work more often.:wink:

Well done, great story!

Ovis17
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Great buck!!!! Congrats.........

MIL720
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice buck indeed...he's a tank. congrats!!!

one-shot-wonder
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Nice one Steve.

Care to elaborate on the errands you ran in the afternoon???:biggrin:

Stud of a buck, way to go!

Buckman
10-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Nice buck, he's a big one and will make lots of sausage!

Derek_Erickson
10-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Awesoem buck congrats

Flinch
10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Right on Steve!

I saw you boogieing home from work that day and I had a hunch you would be taking advantage of the lights out. They say lots of babies are born 9 months after long power outages, but I think you made a better decision. Guess I don't have to swing by with an meat for you now!:biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I saw you boogieing home from work that day and I had a hunch you would be taking advantage of the lights out. They say lots of babies are born 9 months after long power outages, but I think you made a better decision

What makes you say that?? Let's just say I'm very efficient at every thing I do:roll:. It's all the caffein in my system right now. I'll be hitting detox right after crush:|......OSW-You can fill in Flinch with the details:wink:.

Thanks all!
Definitely a lucky day, for sure but I'm a big believer in everything finding a way to balance out.....and if you knew how bad my Monday was.........well, put it this way.......if there was ever a time that I thought "It's gonna be a booner" , it was that day!!:roll:

He's weak back forks and "shortish" mainbeams will keep him form scoring good. Haven't put a tape on him other than a 26 1/2" greatest spread.

Huge body but didn't weigh him.

Gate-I'm ahead of you. I'm in the middle of making a deal with the head electrician(I'm out of smiley allowance)

Daycourt-I'm lucky my wife loves game meat and is always telling me to take a hike. She'll tell me to go hunting when there's no possible way I would let myself. It does help to piss them off a bit so they want you gone(again out of smilies).

Now to actually find some time to butcher him before he's one big piece of jerky hanging in my garage! I should have passed on him(wink)..........

SSS

308BAR
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Nice fronts on that buck. Huge body on it too Congrats!!! Nice and wide 29"-30" my guess.

Will
10-05-2007, 04:34 PM
He's a Good Buck for sure !
Well done & Congrats !
Thanks for the motivator...I leave tommorrow :smile:

beeker
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Congrats! that's a sweet buck Brent.

Brambles
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Way to go SSS, thats a nice buck, you had some good Karma coming to you for all your help.

If I lived closer I'd give you a hand cutting him up and buy you a beer or 12 but since I don't live that close I'll just be thinking of you, on my 45 days off starting next week:biggrin:

Again, congrats and good luck on the ol whitetail hunt.

JMac
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
SSS very nice. Looks like some good weight on him. Mountain/timber hunting success is the sweetest cure for a hunters wine!

dana
10-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Brent,
Way to go on taking a great buck. Always nice when plans get changed and yet everything works out well in the end.

WoodOx
10-05-2007, 06:18 PM
nice buck brent, a big congrats

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow,That motorbike has been a hell of an investment

Don't tell Beeker or he might want it back;)!
Yes, I love it and will buy a new one if and when I ever where it out. It's nice that they still make something effective and simple.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2007, 06:59 PM
...... I'll just be thinking of you, on my 45 days off starting next week:biggrin:

Suddenly, I have the unexplained urge to break into burning bulidings and rescue helpless victims:roll:.
I could really use that beer right now:neutral:.

Have fun!

SSS

wildman 22
10-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Nice Buck Sss But I'm Really Gonna Get Jealous When You Start Hunting Region 11. Congrats On A Beauty, More To Come I'm Sure

Brambles
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Suddenly, I have the unexplained urge to break into burning bulidings and rescue helpless victims:roll:.
I could really use that beer right now:neutral:.

Have fun!

SSS

Every job has its perks I guess8)

I'll be headed through Kelowna on my Way to the Kamloops area hunting in Mid-November, taking the wife and kid and staying with her Grandparents for a week. We may or may not stay a night in Kelowna depending on how the little-un is traveling(or wife for that matter:lol:). Maybe I'll give you a ring and buy you that soda if it all works out.

30-378-magnum
10-05-2007, 10:17 PM
nice buckgood 1

Stone Sheep Steve
10-06-2007, 10:19 AM

I'll be headed through Kelowna on my Way to the Kamloops area hunting in Mid-November, taking the wife and kid and staying with her Grandparents for a week. We may or may not stay a night in Kelowna depending on how the little-un is traveling(or wife for that matter:lol:). Maybe I'll give you a ring and buy you that soda if it all works out.

The only perks from my job are liver damage and gout:roll:.

If it works out, that quick sody pop sounds great! Lord knows I'll need one by then........

SSS

lapadat
10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Very nice buck there SSS.....

Gateholio
10-06-2007, 08:28 PM
The only perks from my job are liver damage and gout:roll:.

If it works out, that quick sody pop sounds great! Lord knows I'll need one by then........

SSS

Your job sounds like mine..except an added perk is chicks walking around in short kilts..:cool:

Will
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/9c/6c/92dd_3.JPG

************:lol::lol::lol:**************

BCrams
10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
SSS - now why did you go and shoot a lil buck when the rut hasn't even started yet ........

Brambles -- with 45 days off, I would hope to see some serious antlers on the ground......I know I would if I had 45 days ;) Enjoy your season.

Brambles
10-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Brambles -- with 45 days off, I would hope to see some serious antlers on the ground......I know I would if I had 45 days, Enjoy your season.

Didn't take it off to learn to Cross-stitch;)
I'll be doing lots of hunting, don't know how much shooting I'll be doing.:redface:
The plan is to get out and do some walking and watching. The pressure is off the freezer now so I'll hold out for a little while anyways, not really going to set my sights too high this year, I'd be happy with a 170 class mulie buck and or a 140 ish whitetail or something with character, would like something Non-typical. But hell, that can change with my mood:smile:
Heading back up to Kamloops area to hunt the same place as a few years ago, looking forward to that again.

Thinking of taking my Bow on an elk hunt and give that a try for a few days, you know, satisfy the sponsors. Probably try and bag a whitetail with the bow too, probably late November see how things play out.

Might try a Rocky hunt at the end of the season but haven't made up my mind yet if I'll do it. After the drive to the Yukon and back and then the Kamloops trip I don't really want to drive that much more. I'll at least try for one maybe two more pack-in hunts. The temps are dropping fast here and there's snow in the mountains already, could be a banner year for mulies in the WK, but I'll probably just freeze my bag off:lol:

Alpine85
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Good job on a great buck Brent!!!
Soon as I heard the power was out, I was wishing our job site wasn't on a generator... just seemed like a great hunting day..

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks Terry!
I thought my buck was pretty decent until I took him up to the taxidermist's. You muley nuts should have seen the buck he took in the day before. This thing had a gross mainframe that had to be close to 200"(net 191") and had 21 or 22" of extras. Netted somewhere in the 212" range with some serious, serious mass8)!! He was with another beauty of a buck that was really wide. He "thinks" he got the better of the two bucks.

I had my camera with me but I just sat there drooling:redface:. Sorry...............

SSS

steepNdeep
10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Right on Brent - great buck!!! Tough to get the big boys mid-season - nice work! He looks wide with good character! I hope to get a buck with some character this year, if I make it up there before I get snowed out... I think it's your turn for the big whitey vermin this year... 8)

bighornbob
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM

If Brent cant drink the soda's', Bring them up here I will have some for Brent. Give me a shout when you get here, we will go look for some monster Cali's, cant shoot them but we can always drool.:mrgreen:

BHB

WoodOx
10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
bhb u in loops?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2007, 09:00 PM
bhb u in loops?

Bobby used to be in the loop.........now he's outa the loop:-D.

SSS

BCrams
10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
You mounting that buck SSS ??

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Thinking about it. Remember I get a handfull of part days to hunt deer every year. Yes, I have the week off to go to Sask but I don't think it's going to go over very well(even though my boss signed my vac request:roll:). Could be my first and last vacation at that time of year.

I don't have a 300" minimum for mounting like you:razz:. My wife and I are having a competition to see who can cover up the walls the fastest:wink:.

Steep-Oct is your month! Looking forward to tales of blizzards, bucks and marathon packs:cool: as per the norm!

SSS

BCrams
10-09-2007, 06:54 AM
SSS maybe you should have your wife talk mine into lowering the minimums so I can get some more deer on the wall at home :)

You're going to have a blast on that Saskatchewan trip. Its a lot of fun regardless whether you shoot a buck or not and its a different style of hunting compared to out here.

Get that buck done, then whack a big whitey to fill up another section of wall. Make sure you leave room for your dall ram though !

Elkhound
10-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Great buck SSS very nice indeed

bighornbob
10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
bhb u in loops?

Yep, I am in the loops. Also in the loop, well most of the time:lol: Was down in K-town this weekend, had to take SSS some bullets and plan where he's going to put all the animals that are at Harley's.

If your up this way, give me a shout.

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm not too sure if I'll be putting any more things on the wall. When BHB was over the other night he made a very large "faux-pas". I had picked up a new price list while at the taxis. We were all seated in the living room when when he flat out asked how much a deer now cost to get mounted. The room went silent. I was stuck and had no where to hide. I could not tell a lie. I spoke. My wife heard. She looked at me:shock: then around the room at the animals, then at our tattered 30yr old furniture:redface:. I'm surprized Boob didn't try to draw attention away from the subject and ask how much I paid for my spotter two years ago that she still doesn't know about:roll:.

I think I know where some of my OT hunting money is going to be "re-directed" towards:roll:.

Can you tell that BHB is still single?

SSS

WoodOx
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
BHB tell ME when your in Kelowna next, and maybe we can lure SSS away from work to have a brew!

I dont make it down to Loops very often - next time I plan to go is sheep banquet and then pre season cali scouting.

Any plans for you to be this way?

SSS: do you have a dall hunt planned, or just keep on keepin on with the LEH?

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2007, 10:17 AM
She looked at me:shock: then around the room at the animals, then at our tattered 30yr old furniture.

Sure. Tattered old crap. :roll:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/2007stonehunt0522.jpg

I'm surprized Boob didn't try to draw attention away from the subject and ask how much I paid for my spotter two years ago that she still doesn't know about:roll:.

SSS

There's no place for name-calling on this board SSS.

bighornbob
10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm the boob??:biggrin: Who brought out the price list and started quoting prices of things, like how much a Fisher was to mount?? Dont want to think about what it would cost to mount a Fisher-Dude. That could cost an arm and a leg or something else:eek::lol:

You should know better to bring the price list home, you look at it then you burn it. Or you mention how much chaeper Harley is then the Taxi's in the east koots.

BHB

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Dont want to think about what it would cost to mount a Fisher-Dude. That could cost an arm and a leg or something else:eek::lol:

BHB

I may be easy, but I ain't CHEAP! ;-)

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2007, 12:46 PM
My apologies bighornybOb. Honest typo:neutral:. Leave it up to F/D to spot it. It probably came up during his morning Google search with his coffee. I wonder if his employer knows what he's searching for on the net??:shock:

I thought you may just ask for me to pass you the list. The moment you start hiding things is the moment they start looking. The art of deception without deceiving is a fine art just like a magician's slight-of-hand.
Ahhhh..the subleties of marraige:roll:.

F/D-You've just found my trump card! Let me see...I get a LCD HDTV for my B-day which I never get to watch. I think my wife may just get a mule deer mount for her next birthday....... or maybe a new rifle........or a Eberlestock J107.........or a half-lifesize mtn goat for her next big b-day!!!!! Life is good!!8)

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
My apologies bighornybOb. Honest typo:neutral:. SSS

Another honest typo? Poor Bob. SSS is really getting back at him for spilling the beans on Harley's price list!

. Leave it up to F/D to spot it.
SSS

What can I say? Not many boobs get by me without being noticed. :cool:

mark
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow Brentman, nice buck! Is gonna be painful not having a Reg. 8 mulie tag! Imagine all the hogs yer gonna see this year now! Ive been gone lots lately, missed tons of posts and threads, just cought this one now. Congrads on yer best buck yet!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks Mark! --I'm pretty sure I won't see any big ole muley's out the window at work and I'm gone to Sask for the first week of bow season. I punched my tag and am not looking back:smile:!
I did book off Nov 10th so it looks like I'll have to shoot a big whitey on the 10th instead of the 11th this year:-P.

F/D-Honest typo. Been taking typing lessons from Gatehouse:wink:.

SSS