PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Axe Outfitters

DWB
12-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Anyone have experience elk hunting with Saddle Axe they can share.

LBM
12-18-2019, 06:31 PM
There kids seem to get some nice bulls every year.

quadrakid
12-18-2019, 07:35 PM
ery few hunters on this site use outfitters. Mostly resident hunters here.

Rackmastr
12-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Solid guys and they kill some great critters.

DWB
12-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Great to hear they are good guys and it appears they take some good animals. Since most of you all are local hunters can you comment on how the elk population is doing in the west kootenay area? I keep hearing and reading that it has seem some rough times lately.

jac
12-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Great to hear they are good guys and it appears they take some good animals. Since most of you all are local hunters can you comment on how the elk population is doing in the west kootenay area? I keep hearing and reading that it has seem some rough times lately.

from what I know and hear it’s not in great shape at the moment. Hopefully the elk do well this winter and start to recover in the coming years.

gunpower
12-18-2019, 08:45 PM
from what I know and hear it’s not in great shape at the moment. Hopefully the elk do well this winter and start to recover in the coming years.
That also goes for the East Kootenay elk, (Elk Valley population ).

pg83
12-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Solid guys and they kill some great critters.

X2

I've hunted that area a few times over the years and run into Shane on multiple occasions. He just does his thing and leaves me to do mine which in my opinion, is just as it should be when in the elk woods.

HighCountryBC
12-19-2019, 07:45 AM

If you listen to the WK Whiner's Club, you'd think there wasn't an elk left in that part of the world.

It's the same old story - Hunt the front country and you will find scratchy numbers and more hunters. Get back there and you'll find elk that don't see another human all year.

backcountry99
12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
If you listen to the WK Whiner's Club, you'd think there wasn't an elk left in that part of the world.

It's the same old story - Hunt the front country and you will find scratchy numbers and more hunters. Get back there and you'll find elk that don't see another human all year.

Shane is not in the WK he is in the central kootenays, not the old WK draw zone. Elk numbers are way way down in all the kootenay regions but the old WK draw zone is probably in the worst shape of the bunch. Call it being a whiner all you want but the WK elk situation is very grim right now and if you think any different you probably have not seen it first hand!

BgBlkDg
12-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Do they offer hunts specifically for residents with basic amenities?

pg83
12-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Do they offer hunts specifically for residents with basic amenities?

Probably best to direct that question to the outfitter instead of a bunch of randoms on a message board.

HighCountryBC
12-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Shane is not in the WK he is in the central kootenays, not the old WK draw zone. Elk numbers are way way down in all the kootenay regions but the old WK draw zone is probably in the worst shape of the bunch. Call it being a whiner all you want but the WK elk situation is very grim right now and if you think any different you probably have not seen it first hand!

Thanks - well aware of Shane's location. The question I responded to asked how things were in the WK. It does one good to read the full post.

No surprise the guys screaming the loudest are having a tough time cutting a tag while the usual suspects just keep getting it done, year after year.

backcountry99
12-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Thanks - well aware of Shane's location. The question I responded to asked how things were in the WK. It does one good to read the full post.

No surprise the guys screaming the loudest are having a tough time cutting a tag while the usual suspects just keep getting it done, year after year.

Congrats on getting it done but wether a few guys are still killing bulls or not it doesn’t change the fact that the WK elk numbers are in the tank. And until there’s nothing left a few guys will always kill elk and those guys generally are the guys that hunt the hardest, put the most time in and can dig something up! I happen to be one of those guys as well but am not afraid to admit our elk are not thriving right now