PDA

View Full Version : Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

srupp
12-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Hmmm in todays paper government is proposing a NEW elk season...LEH.. for region 5..it lists several areas.

It also announces a proposed prohibition of PRECISION GUIDED FIREARMS or PGF, s..
Rifles that act as a rangefinder and condition sensor..computerized scopes..

Hmmmmm
srupp

markomoose
12-18-2019, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with the prohibition of PGF'S.We have too many "Cool Toys" for taking animals down.Whats wrong with hunting the old fashioned way?

jac
12-18-2019, 11:55 AM
I have to agree with the prohibition of PGF'S.We have too many "Cool Toys" for taking animals down.Whats wrong with hunting the old fashioned way?

I agree with you!!

goatdancer
12-18-2019, 12:47 PM

If the level of accuracy increases so there is less wounding and loss of wounded animals then prohibition is stupid.

HarryToolips
12-18-2019, 09:43 PM
If the level of accuracy increases so there is less wounding and loss of wounded animals then prohibition is stupid.
Problem is it could lead to more mistakes, ppl not practicing and becoming proficient with their weapon, and over confidence in taking risky shots...

HarryToolips
12-18-2019, 09:43 PM
I agree.....

srthomas75
12-18-2019, 10:02 PM

Some technologies can make us less skilled though. Look at what backup cameras have done to peoples' driving/parking abilities. Yes, they let us get real close to other vehicles but too many of us rely on now and would be screwed if was removed from the vehicle. or another example is a gps in a car. We somehow forgot how to drive across town.
my point on this is a fancy scope technology might make some feel more skilled. When they have no business attempting the shot in the first place but now feel as though they have super hunting abilities.

HarryToolips
12-18-2019, 10:11 PM
I think this would be good, too bad that it's not a GOS season for 6 pt, put the fear of man into them, scare them away from the stewards of the land that shoot everything and anything not just mature Bulls...

REMINGTON JIM
12-18-2019, 10:12 PM

X2 Completely Agree ! RJ

Keta1969
12-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Agree also. I remember the old days no quads,google earth, GPS units,map systems on phones, fancy target turret scopes, range finders, trail cams, fancy clothes etc. Not knocking any of it or anyone but don't need any of it to get animals. Marketers having a field day with hunters, just like golfers every year a new club that will make you a better golfer.

Bugle M In
12-18-2019, 11:00 PM
HBC members, you do realize that in BC, we have a lot of committees, one being the "Fair Chase Committee".
I support the ban.

Yes, I suppose there is a chance of not wounding game with above mentioned technology...maybe.
But then again, there was a way better chance of the game getting away if we keep it on a traditional level.
Not many can even hit the bright side of a barn past 400 yards.
So why give folks the ability to take game at 1000yards????

Deerslayer4
12-18-2019, 11:32 PM

You mean with clubs, spears and rocks?

Danny_29
12-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Prohibit the use of Precision Guided Firearms, which act as a range finder and condition sensor (i.e. wind speed/direction, humidity, temperature, distance, target movement, etc.), automatically adjusting the reticle such that a hunter simply needs to depress the trigger, lock on to the target, and the firearms discharges automatically.

webley
12-19-2019, 06:30 AM
I used to pride myself on never getting lost in the bush, as long as the sun was out or I had my compass. Now anybody can do it, there taking the skill out of everything. Steve!

XPEIer
12-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Hmmm in todays paper government is proposing a NEW elk season...LEH.. for region 5..it lists several areas.

It also announces a proposed prohibition of PRECISION GUIDED FIREARMS or PGF, s..
Rifles that act as a rangefinder and condition sensor..computerized scopes..

Hmmmmm
srupp

What paper did you see this in?

XPEIER

dmuth
12-19-2019, 08:13 AM
They also want to prohibit hunting with spears, sling shots...….

dmuth
12-19-2019, 08:14 AM
What paper did you see this in?

XPEIER found at this link
https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

bearvalley
12-19-2019, 09:30 AM

srupp

You better read that LEH proposal for Region 5 elk.
First off it was supposedly brought forward by First Nation and stakeholders.
You would think that would mean that the private landowners where these elk congregate would have been asked for input.
Then when you read the proposal it’s for 0-2% antlerless tags and 0-5% bulls.
You can bet the LEH authorizations will be real close to 0% of both....maybe 1% bulls to open the door.
Now look at the LEH dates...mid November to mid February.... any crop destruction is long done before then and the ones that had problems in the past with stored feed have built elk proof feed yards.
When you cut through the BS this is nothing more than a call for a legal 12 month elk harvest of both cows, calves and bulls for the local band anywhere in Region 5.
This will push elk back onto private land as in the past because that will be the safety zone.
If the Ministry wants an elk season in this area it should be GOS for 6 point or better bulls, on both private and crown land in mid September for no more than a 1 week opening.
Bureaucrats need to cut the bullshit.

r106
12-19-2019, 09:40 AM

While i do kind of agree with your statement i will fight it cause if you give them an inch they will take a mile and if you dont believe that your young and naive

Wild one
12-19-2019, 09:43 AM
You would think that would mean that the private landowners where these elk congregate would have been asked for input.
You can bet the LEH authorizations will be real close to 0% of both....maybe 1% bulls to open the door.
Now look at the LEH dates...mid November to mid February.... any crop destruction is long done before then and the ones that had problems in the past with stored feed have built elk proof feed yards.
When you cut through the BS this is nothing more than a call for a legal 12 month elk harvest of both cows, calves and bulls for the local band anywhere in Region 5.
This will push elk back onto private land as in the past because that will be the safety zone.
If the Ministry wants an elk season in this area it should be GOS for 6 point or better bulls, on both private and crown land in mid September for no more than a 1 week opening.

Funny how things are often not what it appears to the public

russm86
12-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Maybe a dumb question but where are there even Elk in region 5? I've hunted most MUs of region 5 for deer and moose many times over the years and never once seen a single elk, so where is there enough of them all of a sudden to consider any kind of a season? Towards the coast more? The only areas I haven't hunted is the western/coastal portion of region 5, like west of 5-10 and 5-11, and maybe 5-15/5-16 around quesnel lake and barkerville/wells.

bearvalley
12-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Wild one.....we’re back to the same old “opportunity group” BS.
The local R & G club has a few members that have been drooling over these elk for years.
So ....if they can’t get their way they partner up to push in.
Go figure.....a handful of hunters might kill a licensed bull but it’ll be a short term hunt....then it’ll all be over.

Wild one
12-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Maybe a dumb question but where are there even Elk in region 5? I've hunted most MUs of region 5 for deer and moose many times over the years and never once seen a single elk, so where is there enough of them all of a sudden to consider any kind of a season? Towards the coast more? The only areas I haven't hunted is the western/coastal portion of region 5, like west of 5-10 and 5-11, and maybe 5-15/5-16 around quesnel lake and barkerville/wells.

williams lake Quesnel area definitely has elk. Between Quesnel and Williams right off the 97 and between Williams and Mt polley mine is where I seen them lots of times. All were on private land

SemperAurum
12-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Local rod and gun clubs are full of selfish members. Been that way for ever.

Wild one
12-19-2019, 10:26 AM
The local R & G club has a few members that have been drooling over these elk for years.
Go figure.....a handful of hunters might kill a licensed bull but it’ll be a short term hunt....then it’ll all be over.

Someone needs to go around BC with a 2x4 smacking hunters till they wake up

Always shooting them selves in the foot out of greed.

Wild one
12-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Local rod and gun clubs are full of selfish members. Been that way for ever.

So are most of BCs hunting organizations

SemperAurum
12-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Hey bearvalley,
sorry if i pissed you off. I apologize.

Not all ranchers are bad. Not all indians are bad. not all whiteys are bad. one day maybe we will meet and i can come out and do fence patrol for indians trying to kill the elk.

IronNoggin
12-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Yep.
Case in point:

"Prohibit the use of Precision Guided Firearms, which act as a range finder and condition sensor (i.e. wind speed/direction, humidity, temperature, distance, target movement, etc.), automatically adjusting the reticle such that a hunter simply needs to depress the trigger, lock on to the target, and the firearms discharges automatically."

On the surface this very much looks like something most real hunters would and should support (IMO).
However, from my many discussions of late over these proposals and the process involved, I have been directly informed by some that this is the first step towards eliminating turret mounted scopes for long range shooting. Why am I not surprised...

Bearvalley: I am not overly surprised at your take on this matter, and strongly believe in what you have laid out here. Again, no surprise but rather heartfelt dismay...

The process is effed right up IMO.
It strongly appears the Inmates are running the Asylum. :sad:

Nog

Wild one
12-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Yep.
Case in point:

"Prohibit the use of Precision Guided Firearms, which act as a range finder and condition sensor (i.e. wind speed/direction, humidity, temperature, distance, target movement, etc.), automatically adjusting the reticle such that a hunter simply needs to depress the trigger, lock on to the target, and the firearms discharges automatically."

On the surface this very much looks like something most real hunters would and should support (IMO).
However, from my many discussions of late over these proposals and the process involved, I have been directly informed by some that this is the first step towards eliminating turret mounted scopes for long range shooting. Why am I not surprised...

Bearvalley: I am not overly surprised at your take on this matter, and strongly believe in what you have laid out here. Again, no surprise but rather heartfelt dismay...

The process is effed right up IMO.
It strongly appears the Inmates are running the Asylum. :sad:

Nog

There is definitely a handful of proposals that are tainted in that list

Been seeing a shit show coming for sometime and there is a lot of things I seen coming years ago are happening now. Until the mindset changes there is just going to be more fuel thrown on the dumpster fire as things go down hill

Let me know when your looking for a place in Alberta and had enough

goatdancer
12-19-2019, 02:45 PM

That would mean going back to iron sights.

Bugle M In
12-19-2019, 06:13 PM
This thread is going off track, and I am not going to help it much either:p as there is another thread I believe on this exact thing.
But I have target turrets on 1 rifle only because it was a replacement from Burris who F'd me over to begin with.
Anyways, I don't see target turrets being banned.
They are mechanical, and I know some scopes have built in range finders, but they aren't the issue.
But when you basically have a computer mounted to the rifle, isn't that getting a little extreme?
Does hunting have to be an activity to be done out to 1 km away or more?
Why cant that extreme range be left to shooting at cowbells or something?

We don't allow phosphorous bullets.
What's next, guns that kill by laser beam?
Yes, Goat and sheep can be difficult to close the distance, but if you cant get within 500 yards, then is it hunting anymore?
To me, it then sounds like a shooting sport/activity.
Not like anyone is going to starve if the shot doesn't happen.

Lets just deal with the shit at hand.
Deal with the other stuff when, or even if, it happens later.

Muliechaser
12-19-2019, 06:24 PM

Everything in alot of peoples eyes ! .
Hunting is to hard without a 3k rifle . 600 dollar binos
10k quad . 1k set of camos scent killer . The list goes on . Hey if its legal and a guy feels that he needs it . Go for it and good luck! But most of it really is not needed to be succesfull in my opinion . If you cant get closer than a few hundred yards to your game then well thats to bad . All this new equipment is oretty neat some of it . But your right . Old fashioned all the way . Much more enjoyable . Some might like to spend thousands on gear and perhaps maybe even a guided trip for deer or whatever . Ill stick with my beater truck my 40 year old equipment a ton of good memorys and my wall in my living room reminding me everyday of the journeys and earned game and i did it all the old fashioned way .

willyqbc
12-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Bugle.....asking if shots taken beyond 500 yds is really hunting?? Slippery slope there sir!
I'm sure those that take the time to acquire the skill at making extended range shots on animals, might similarly wonder if those who put the time and energy into a bait station to target deer are "really hunting"???
Allowing members of the hunting community to be played off against each other based on the style of hunting they employ....is suicide to our lifestyle. Not supporting ALL our hunting brethren because one may not "approve" of their chosen method....further opens the door to this death of a thousand cuts we're experiencing right now.
Whatever your chosen method, enjoy it and put in the time to do it to the best of your ability.

JMO

Bugle M In
12-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Bugle.....asking if shots taken beyond 500 yds is really hunting?? Slippery slope there sir!
I'm sure those that take the time to acquire the skill at making extended range shots on animals, might similarly wonder if those who put the time and energy into a bait station to target deer are "really hunting"???
Allowing members of the hunting community to be played off against each other based on the style of hunting they employ....is suicide to our lifestyle. Not supporting ALL our hunting brethren because one may not "approve" of their chosen method....further opens the door to this death of a thousand cuts we're experiencing right now.
Whatever your chosen method, enjoy it and put in the time to do it to the best of your ability.

JMO

That's fair, in the way that you state those that practice really hard to make those shots, I agree.
However, there are folks taking those shots that don't as well.
At what point is mounting/buying equipment that operates more like a computer enough.
Because at that point, you are doing exactly the opposite of what you say, which is noy using ones "own skills".
And I don't see how it is a slippery slope to state that some folks are "exceeding their limits".
When is the truth a bad thing?

Even in hockey there are some rules as to the amount of curve on the blade.
Does that make someone stating they have surpassed the curve an Anti hunter or made the game worse for those who play it?

I do agree, we have bigger issues to contend with, so no need for me to go on debating it.
Each to their own.
As for the big issues.
I don't see it ever getting better.
To me, I just see the beginning of the end here in BC.
You have to have Politicians in your corner from what I can tell.
And I don't ever see that really ever happening again (there was a time)
And if there is one, good luck, as his/her hands will be tied if it relates to anything in the FN department.
Heck, we have less and less politicians even supporting us to have guns.

srupp
12-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Hmmmm sooo
maybe .22 semi auto be confiscated..
Maybe turret scopes will be deemed prohibited..rendered useless and illegal..
Hmmmmmmm $$$$$$$ losses for some is getting stupidly expensive..
Grrrrrrr

willyqbc
12-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Well bugle....slobs are slobs, no matter the methodology.
For the most part we as hunters are passionate, and yes, opinionated on our chosen lifestyle. As soon as we begin to project personal ethics choices onto another who is using a currently legal method.....we are driving the wedge and directly helping those trying to take away what we all want to protect.

JMO

Pauly
12-19-2019, 09:45 PM
I love to shoot whitetail does with my 223 just deadly as long as they are standing still and I poke them behind the ear. Is that any less risky than taking a 600 yard shot with a 7mm? I prefer under 400 yards max for myself because that’s hunting according to me. My dad says it’s not real hunting until your within 100 yards lol. I say each to his own as long as it’s ethical and no risk of wounding which is really no guarantee at any distance. Hunting is hunting and I say do it the way you enjoy it best.

SemperAurum
12-19-2019, 10:45 PM
I sure hope that this elk leh does not turn into the same debacle as the Chasm sheep leh. That one is done. came and went. rammajamma no more.

REMINGTON JIM
12-19-2019, 11:34 PM
You mean with clubs, spears and rocks?

Sure if thats what you want to use - Be More FAIR CHASE then ! RJ

Bugle M In
12-20-2019, 12:29 AM
Well bugle....slobs are slobs, no matter the methodology.
For the most part we as hunters are passionate, and yes, opinionated on our chosen lifestyle. As soon as we begin to project personal ethics choices onto another who is using a currently legal method.....we are driving the wedge and directly helping those trying to take away what we all want to protect.

JMO

I wasn't try to make a comment to put others down.
The fact is, I have had to look at myself too in the past.
Yes, I have taken a lot of elk at 325 yards.
But once, there was this monster WT at 375 yards.
The distance is something I have shot at the range no problem.
But there was a problem this time, I had a shitty shitty rest, and knew it while I was trying hard to keep the cross hairs on it.
I hit, but not well, not at all and spent 2 days looking for it.
Got back to camp the 2nd night, looked at my partner and said "I wont do that again".
He says "what do you mean, go look for a deer that long"?
I said no, take a shot at something when I knew the whole time it wasn't a great set up, and had doubts.

So often we make the joke about FN being stewards of the land, knowing that it is more gimmick then true now days.
But, do we look at ourselves enough at times?
I realized something that day.
That yes, I may work my ass off for days, even years looking for a shooter, but that still doesn't mean I deserve to have something hanging on the meat pole, so go ahead and just take a poke at it anyways.
We always talk about the fact Anti's think we are just killers, but we often try to say we have an immense Respect for the creatures we
stalk and hunt.
Well, me taking a poke at that buck was "disrespectful" to that buck, because I knew better then to take that shot under that circumstance.

Think part of the scope ban went right over folks heads because of rage at the thought of the idea.
I hope many realize it could have been just as easy a proposal to have said Xbow ban.
1 part was the poaching aspect of them. (think most got that point)
The other part was there are too many hunters in the CO's minds that are taking shots at extreme distances that should know better.

So, if the statement about me saying that we as hunters should stop sometimes and reflect at our own actions, and thus be better hunters
and better in the eyes of non hunters, does that mean I don't care about hunters?
Or, does it mean I care enough about hunters and hunting, that I am just reminding them that a few an ruin it for everyone.
To me, hunting should be way more then the shot that was just pulled off, or if I cut my tag.

Sometimes we are not just our own worst enemies by the way we think others should be, and fight about it, but by the actions we also take
while out in the field.

boxhitch
12-20-2019, 06:14 AM
Go figure.....a handful of hunters might kill a licensed bull but it’ll be a short term hunt....then it’ll all be over.now that you lay it out that way, I don't see a problem with the new opening. Whacking the legal bull won't do anything detrimental to the herd, the calves will still hit the ground.

anyone,
What should the target pop number be before this goes gos?

Wild one
12-20-2019, 06:40 AM
now that you lay it out that way, I don't see a problem with the new opening. Whacking the legal bull won't do anything detrimental to the herd, the calves will still hit the ground.

anyone,

Straight over your head

FN want the season to eliminate any bad press causing possible backlash where laws might actually be enforced with their members harvesting elk the way they presently do. They are supporting this so they can harvest elk on the up and up taking away any worries of even the slightest chance of issues

The 6-04 LEH(actually it started as soon as there was word of the proposal) definitely caused an increase in FN elk harvest. The limiting factor there is the ranchers who won’t allow access and patrol their property

This is the issue but I know your mentality is hunters have no impact so this will fall on deaf ears

boxhitch
12-20-2019, 06:52 AM
oh, that conspiracy.....

in another thread you singled out the local f&g club members as the supporters
windy out , huh

Wild one
12-20-2019, 07:14 AM
oh, that conspiracy.....

in another thread you singled out the local f&g club members as the supporters
windy out , huh

both groups supporting it but never mind waste of typing

SemperAurum
12-20-2019, 08:03 AM
I wasn't try to make a comment to put others down.
The fact is, I have had to look at myself too in the past.
Yes, I have taken a lot of elk at 325 yards.
But once, there was this monster WT at 375 yards.
The distance is something I have shot at the range no problem.
But there was a problem this time, I had a shitty shitty rest, and knew it while I was trying hard to keep the cross hairs on it.
I hit, but not well, not at all and spent 2 days looking for it.
Got back to camp the 2nd night, looked at my partner and said "I wont do that again".
He says "what do you mean, go look for a deer that long"?
I said no, take a shot at something when I knew the whole time it wasn't a great set up, and had doubts.

So often we make the joke about FN being stewards of the land, knowing that it is more gimmick then true now days.
But, do we look at ourselves enough at times?
I realized something that day.
That yes, I may work my ass off for days, even years looking for a shooter, but that still doesn't mean I deserve to have something hanging on the meat pole, so go ahead and just take a poke at it anyways.
We always talk about the fact Anti's think we are just killers, but we often try to say we have an immense Respect for the creatures we
stalk and hunt.
Well, me taking a poke at that buck was "disrespectful" to that buck, because I knew better then to take that shot under that circumstance.

Think part of the scope ban went right over folks heads because of rage at the thought of the idea.
I hope many realize it could have been just as easy a proposal to have said Xbow ban.
1 part was the poaching aspect of them. (think most got that point)
The other part was there are too many hunters in the CO's minds that are taking shots at extreme distances that should know better.

So, if the statement about me saying that we as hunters should stop sometimes and reflect at our own actions, and thus be better hunters
and better in the eyes of non hunters, does that mean I don't care about hunters?
Or, does it mean I care enough about hunters and hunting, that I am just reminding them that a few an ruin it for everyone.
To me, hunting should be way more then the shot that was just pulled off, or if I cut my tag.

Sometimes we are not just our own worst enemies by the way we think others should be, and fight about it, but by the actions we also take
while out in the field.

I just wishes peeps would not shoot 5 tine bull elk in a 6 point season and leave em to rot. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT REFLECTION OF ONES ACTIONS

bearvalley
12-20-2019, 09:04 AM
now that you lay it out that way, I don't see a problem with the new opening. Whacking the legal bull won't do anything detrimental to the herd, the calves will still hit the ground.

anyone,

You sure ride for the brand....be it right or wrong.
Your Region 5 Fed rep asked last spring for support on this LEH proposal....I told him I won’t.
If this hunt goes ahead these elk will never reach a larger population number than we are seeing today.
Not all landowners in the area where this hunt is to take place think like I do.
Theres at least one of my neighbours that wants them gone and under whats proposed you can bet your ass that the hunters that do not have to abide to the LEH rules will be lined up.

If a season opens it it should be short, 6 point bulls and fully controlled with the local bands agreeing to what their harvest will be as well.
Make everyone play ball the same....some of the Bands in Region 5 have signed on that they can be charged by the COS.....get them ALL on board.

You got any historical knowledge of these elk or thoughts on how to manage them.... Bill?

SemperAurum
12-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Here is a solution that might appease the mob and neighbouring ranchers:

1.) Identify an area in BC that has suffered a signficant decline in elk numbers. (easy peasey)
2.) Initiate an aerial wolf eradication progam in the target area. (stealth night vision commando style)
3.) Live capture some of the herd and transplant. (big wheels rollin with with big bulls (and ladies) on board)

Its been done before and it worked.

And ffs, do not under any circumstance involve any indian in this process. Just grow a set and do it. I am talking to you Big G.

Failing that, perhaps BC can initiate a new trade deal with New Mexico and Colorado and Wyoming and Montana and Idaho - Wolves for Elk

Wild one
12-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Here is a solution that might appease the mob and neighbouring ranchers:

1.) Identify an area in BC that has suffered a signficant decline in elk numbers. (easy peasey)
2.) Initiate an aerial wolf eradication progam in the target area. (stealth night vision commando style)
3.) Live capture some of the herd and transplant. (big wheels rollin with with big bulls (and ladies) on board)

Its been done before and it worked.

And ffs, do not under any circumstance involve any indian in this process. Just grow a set and do it. I am talking to you Big G.

Normal big G response sorry there is not enough funding in the budget

dmaxtech
12-20-2019, 11:26 AM
I think this is what they are referring to as precision guided scopes and firearms. Cool system but would not support it for game animals. Would be cool if it could still be allowed for predators of Schedule C animals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lE04AqEysc

Bugle M In
12-20-2019, 01:16 PM
I think this is what they are referring to as precision guided scopes and firearms. Cool system but would not support it for game animals. Would be cool if it could still be allowed for predators of Schedule C animals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lE04AqEysc

Yes, it would be cool for preds.
BUT, if they make it legal, there will be some that use it for far more worse things that give us a bad name in the end.
Sometimes it is just better to keep the box closed, as once pandoras box is open, you can never control it again.
Same with the Xbows.
Had policy makes come together and "limited the FPS" of them, the manufacturers may not have strived to get faster etc.
Kept it an alternative short range weapon, rather then mid range might of helped.
Cant make people "practice more" before going out in the field.

I look at hunting like golf.
Its something you will never perfect.
We go hunting to hunt, and to fail more then we succeed, which like golf, makes you come back to do it again.
If all you ever did was shoot 18 straight hole in ones, round after round, it would lose its appeal.
But every now nd then, you rip one of the sweet spot, and that keeps you coming back.
I just wonder if some of us have forgotten that?

sparky300winmag
12-20-2019, 03:18 PM
So lets see if i get this right, some of you fkn people want to ban tools that can make shot more accurate. Do you not agree with range finders, GPS, and other equipment. Hunters miss and wound animals with any weapon. I even heard today there is talk of banning scopes on cross bows , fkn ******ed.
Its bad enough we have to deal with the natives having special treatment , now some of you stupid f*cks want to go back to throwing rocks and spears.
Some of you want to ban quads, well i know alot of elderly people that can barely walk 100 yrds , so do only people that have the ability to hike , should only get to hunt? Get off your high horse and wake up!!

Wild one
12-20-2019, 03:21 PM
So lets see if i get this right, some of you fkn people want to ban tools that can make shot more accurate. Do you not agree with range finders, GPS, and other equipment. Hunters miss and wound animals with any weapon. I even heard today there is talk of banning scopes on cross bows , fkn ******ed.
Its bad enough we have to deal with the natives having special treatment , now some of you stupid f*cks want to go back to throwing rocks and spears.
Some of you want to ban quads, well i know alot of elderly people that can barely walk 100 yrds , so do only people that have the ability to hike , should only get to hunt? Get off your high horse and wake up!!

you must have missed the proposal to ban spears too

SemperAurum
12-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Sparky gets it.........light a fire with a spark.........big wheels rollin on........whitey only atv kangaroo court........whack a hat rack........dont shoot til ya see the whites of his eyes

goatdancer
12-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Sparky gets it.........light a fire with a spark.........big wheels rollin on........whitey only atv kangaroo court........whack a hat rack........dont shoot til ya see the whites of his eyes

Are you trying to imitate Jelvis???

REMINGTON JIM
12-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Are you trying to imitate Jelvis???

LOL he is Jelvis ! :smile: RJ

Bugle M In
12-20-2019, 04:34 PM
LOL he is Jelvis ! :smile: RJ

If so, then they have changes is meds and put him on WELL-butrin!

SemperAurum
12-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Meds.What meds? I am high on life. I love the resurrection of my dearly beloved childhood game - cowboys and indians. Such an excitng and vibrant time to be alive and well in the whacky province.........

We interrupt this thread to bring you a monotone, predictable, race based personal opinion. I would much prefer to write letters to the editor of a senior citizens newspaper to rant and complain, but alas, no such publications exist any longer.

Meds. You bet. its called FUHKIDOL. Its results in a much nicer high than NOIDOL

A dying man has nothing to lose. Might as well light some fires and go out in a ball of flame and a plume of heavy, acrid smoke.

SemperAurum
12-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Lets get out there and save the elk before they all disappear. Put your desires for a hat rack and some sweet, succulent venison on the backburner for a while. Let them recover. The world does not owe you an elk but it will be happy to give you an elk if there are enough to go around. Fuggedabout this region 5 elk opening. Leave it alone.

tigrr
12-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Now an elk hunt in zone 5 sounds great. If they aren't all shot before we get a draw.

Ohwildwon
12-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Meds.What meds? I am high on life. I love the resurrection of my dearly beloved childhood game - cowboys and indians. Such an excitng and vibrant time to be alive and well in the whacky province.........

We interrupt this thread to bring you a monotone, predictable, race based personal opinion. I would much prefer to write letters to the editor of a senior citizens newspaper to rant and complain, but alas, no such publications exist any longer.

Meds. You bet. its called FUHKIDOL. Its results in a much nicer high than NOIDOL

A dying man has nothing to lose. Might as well light some fires and go out in a ball of flame and a plume of heavy, acrid smoke.

Can u pm me a conscription for FUHKIDOL?

Fallkniven
12-20-2019, 08:51 PM
The use of Precision guided projectiles would inevitable lead to the loss of hunting as a whole. The argument that a PGP is more humane, if you follow the logic, would lead to ONLY PGP being used (Anti hunting groups would push this on humane grounds) and then the removal of the unpredictable 'Human' element is just a matter of time. PGR are going to produce more humane kills than than non PGR Human's, so why allow Humans to shoot animals? The fact that you now have a human to press the trigger on a PGR won't last long... remote fireing PGR already exist...no need for imprecise hunters at all....

Bugle M In
12-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Can u pm me a conscription for FUHKIDOL?

X2 please...………………

Bugle M In
12-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Lets get out there and save the elk before they all disappear. Put your desires for a hat rack and some sweet, succulent venison on the backburner for a while. Let them recover. The world does not owe you an elk but it will be happy to give you an elk if there are enough to go around. Fuggedabout this region 5 elk opening. Leave it alone.

Now an elk hunt in zone 5 sounds great. If they aren't all shot before we get a draw.

Some like Srupp, who started this thread, might have a way better idea about the amount of elk up there.
If 3 to 5 years would make a big difference in #'s then I would say hold off, but if it is sustainable, go ahead.

But I hear what Tigr is saying as well.
Is there enough to sustain the herd if some go in ahead of time?
If some can go in and take out the whole harem in a single go, we have problems.
What guarantees from the FN are there that this wont happen up there??
And it has happened elsewhere, so lets not sugar coat it or bs ourselves.

bearvalley
12-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Some like Srupp, who started this thread, might have a way better idea about the amount of elk up there.
If 3 to 5 years would make a big difference in #'s then I would say hold off, but if it is sustainable, go ahead.

But I hear what Tigr is saying as well.
Is there enough to sustain the herd if some go in ahead of time?
If some can go in and take out the whole harem in a single go, we have problems.
What guarantees from the FN are there that this wont happen up there??
And it has happened elsewhere, so lets not sugar coat it or bs ourselves.

Without FN’s (Red Bluff Band for the most part) supporting the harvest of only a handful of elk this hunt will not be sustainable.
That means FN’s should be allowed to harvest the exact same number of elk that licensed hunters do.
Any over harvest by them should warrant being charged by the COS.

I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields.

With some innovated management plans...fully endorsed by government...these elk were reprogrammed to break into smaller groups and spread out.
The radio collars show this change in pattern...although the collars also show the elk for the most part do not move far.
On young cow was an exception...she was net gunned and collared in front of my house...then made the trek from here to south of Princeton to turn around and come back.

Here’s the deal....a couple clowns at the local Rod & Gun have been in a sweat for years to be able to pull the trigger on a bull elk that up until lately was rarely on crown land.
They’ve been repeatedly told killing one or 2 bulls on an LEH does nothing to stop elk from crop or feed yard damage.....for the most part.
So....the Rod & Gun...Fed supporters can’t get their way so they partner with local FN’s and ask for a private land LEH winter elk hunt.

The R & G boys heads are too small under their hats to figure out that if this proposal goes thru they just threw any chance of a future GOS hunt out the door.

There will always be that special guy that’s to lazy to fence in his feed that can only think of one way to save it....kill all the elk.....all he will have to do in the future is pick up the phone and it’ll be a smaller version of the Suffield elk slaughter.
This is what will happen....count on it.

The survivors will then be pushed back into safety zones....a couple ranches where they can’t be shot.
Roll the clock back 20 years.
Some..... and the group they represent....should never make a hunting related wildlife decision.
Not very often is their thought process for the better of the wildlife....they are just worried about getting what they can for themselves.
Union mentality....opportunity....opurtunity until F-all is left.

boxhitch
12-21-2019, 06:46 PM
No , I don't know any specifics about this reg5 herd, but that matters little imo

"I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields."

Think this would have happened if a 6pnt was taken each year by legal hunting ?

If indigens are asked to follow the rules, are you suggesting an leh is a open permit ? any more so than a gos or even a closed season?
I hear the myths but do they really wait for any kind of official season?

IronNoggin
12-21-2019, 06:50 PM
... Some..... and the group they represent....should never make a hunting related wildlife decision.
Not very often is their thought process for the better of the wildlife....

There are MANY "some's" that fit this bill.

Must be the sound of hell freezing over - I actually agree with everything you said.

Merry Christmas!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Agreement.gif

Nog

bearvalley
12-21-2019, 07:32 PM
There are MANY "some's" that fit this bill.

Must be the sound of hell freezing over - I actually agree with everything you said.

Merry Christmas!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Agreement.gif

Nog

Must be climate change!
You’re right Matt....”some” covers a lot of country in this case.
Merry Christmas to you and the Best in the New Year!

bearvalley
12-21-2019, 07:34 PM
No , I don't know any specifics about this reg5 herd, but that matters little imo

"I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields."

Think this would have happened if a 6pnt was taken each year by legal hunting ?

If indigens are asked to follow the rules, are you suggesting an leh is a open permit ? any more so than a gos or even a closed season?
I hear the myths but do they really wait for any kind of official season?
Shooting 6 point bulls has bugger all to do with moving homesteader elk.

Bugle M In
12-22-2019, 02:10 PM
I know the Pitt river herd of elk, that there is an agreement by the local band, and they actually get 1 permit more (3) then RH (2) if I remember
correctly (could be the other way around?)
Anyways, this is a great way to ensure the elk #'s.
Maybe one day when the Stave, Pitt and Squamish Herds get altogether, maybe we could have a GOS or at least a bigger LEH?
Which would make the EK, WK and even the Peace folk happy to not see so many LM.
Although I doubt that will ever happen.
Lyton was a disaster, with the great help of a "few" FN (just a small group folks, not all FN) that slaughtered that herd and had that hunt
shut down.
And then I heard rumors of different FN band members thinking they have every right to go up into the Pitt and hunt elk.

That's all it takes to ruin it for everyone.
And I didn't even mention the poachers that are not FN.

The more I talk, the more it is obvious we need way more CO's first.

Elkscape
07-28-2020, 11:17 AM
My wife has been very lucky and drawn the private land leh bull elk tag for 5-02 jan 15 to feb 14

We are looking for any info that may help us plan this trip we need to secure some land owner permissions to make this happen. Weve reached out to the local biologists and the quesnel cattlemans association so far.

please reach out of you can help

thanks in advance

Sportster
07-28-2020, 01:54 PM
With all the high tech electronics available in the sports fishing industry today, it's more like catching instead of fishing. I'm probably a hypocrite if I made a negative comment towards range finder electronic scopes because I use a range finder binoculars, I also like to play with game cameras. But we only set them up when we're in deer camp to see what's in our hunting area. Long range hunting, humm don't know, theirs people out there that say it's totally irresponsible and unethical. Hunting over bait, again, some say there's less chance of making a mistake by shooting wrong species, sex, and much less chance of making a bad shot. Some say that's not hunting! You're just shooting animals without any hunting skills. Maybe if they restricted the use of electronic scopes to strictly predictor control? When you look at all the high tech equipment that's available to hunters now, does it make us more successful and accurate and ethical hunters? Maybe. Or does this equipment make you less skilled and unethical? I remember talking to some buddies who were none hunters at a local coffee shop after I just gotten back from a hunting trip, one guy asked me what type of firearm I use? I told them that I have nice big game rifle and a really good scope mounted on it. His response was, well where's the sport in that? I told him that the last thing we want to do is make sport out of killing the animals we hunt. We use the best equipment that we can afford and practice allot so we can dispatch these animals as quickly and ethically ,humanely as possible. His response was, I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Just throwing out some thoughts. I'm sitting here watching the wild TV and every second commercial is about the latest and greatest hunting clothing, the most accurate rifles, best scopes, the best trail cameras, the best sent elimination sprays and devices, on an on. At least they band drones for hunting applications. I don't know any hunters that disagreed with that, although there might be some. Just some thoughts, just some thoughts.

Jagermeister
07-28-2020, 08:18 PM
Dam, I have to agree with Mikey again.
I wonder how this outcome will come into play down the road?
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/article_56e20e0e-242d-11e9-9491-0b3924d4e831.html#:~:text=Three%20Indigenous%20men %20charged%20with,of%20land%20title%20and%20rights .
Three Indigenous men charged with illegal hunting will pay fines of $500 each after pleading guilty to trespassing Tuesday in a case the Penticton Indian Band says speaks to larger issues of land title and rights.
Cole Kruger, Felix Thomas Kruger and Fred Kruger initially were charged with trespassing, unlawful possession of dead wildlife and discharging a firearm in a no-shooting area, but the latter two counts were dropped as part of a plea deal entered on what was to be the first day of trial in provincial court.
Crown counsel Karla Dodds told the court that in the early hours of Jan. 29, 2017, a resident of Greyback Mountain Road spotted a truck driving up the road, and soon after heard a firearm discharge.

After driving up the road, the same man witnessed all three Kruger men approximately 100 metres on private property with an animal carcass. The property was fenced with No Trespassing signs visible.
“At no time did the (property owner) give permission to Cole Kruger, Felix Kruger or Fred Kruger to be on the subject property,” said Dodds.
Conservation officers and RCMP arrived at the scene and identified the Krugers, one of whom, Fred, was later elected to band council.
In a joint sentencing submission, the Crown counsel asked for a fine of $500, which amounted to a significant step up from the minimum $115 penalty.