PDA

View Full Version : Hunting regulation change consultation

sthdslayer
12-16-2019, 02:02 PM
https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

This is your opportunity to provide input to the recommended changes

sthdslayer
12-16-2019, 06:13 PM
After having gone through all of these proposed changes i am curious as to how the BCWF , a member of the recommending committee, gets the mandate to put forward these recommendations are they voted on at AGM's or is it just by a small group or individuals.

caddisguy
12-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Hmm interesting. One of these proposals would make it illegal to hunt big game with a speer (by only allowing center fire, bows And cross bows) No pellet guns either despite velocity.

swampthing
12-16-2019, 08:13 PM
How do we voice our opinion?

huntingfamily
12-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Here's how to comment:
https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/

There are quite a few concerning proposals to me...

huntingfamily
12-16-2019, 08:33 PM
After having gone through all of these proposed changes i am curious as to how the BCWF , a member of the recommending committee, gets the mandate to put forward these recommendations are they voted on at AGM's or is it just by a small group or individuals.

It's not just the bcwf...

A sub-committee of the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team (PHTAT) with representatives from the B.C. Wildlife Federation, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., B.C. Trappers Association, Wild Sheep Society, Wildlife Stewardship Council, and United Bowhunters of B.C., conducted a review of various hunting practices (methods, tools, and tactics), evaluated those practices against a set of criteria that reflect the principles of fair chase, and recommended management actions for specific hunting practices. These recommendations were accepted by PHTAT and were forwarded to the Province for consideration.

Bugle M In
12-16-2019, 08:50 PM
I just reviewed some.
Where there is an issue, say like a decline in Sheep, I fully support a reduction in tags.
That is what the Regs are for.
As long as whatever the issue at hand is that created the decline is being looked at and fixed.

But, when I see the Elephant Hill BS and Scopes or Feed Sites, it makes me mad.
I shouldn't be surprised however, its how it has always been for years now.

I was hoping that those folks on the committee were finally going to stand up, revolt, hand the ministry a blank sheet of paper and say
"hey, we have nothing that is really going to help our wildlife issues".
"Time to look at the studies and recommendations from Bios etc that have said what and how to address the real issues and that those are
what are needed "now" to be implanted.

But nope.....just more signs that say you cant drive here, but others who don't care or who are saying they no longer need to follow our
rules just drive on in.
Great...good stuff!

If a new Reg doesn't fix something or prevent something to happen, to me it is an absolutely useless regulation.
Period.

Bugle M In
12-16-2019, 08:56 PM
One other thing, on E-Bikes.
I get what E-Bikes are, and why they want to ban them in Motorized Banned areas.
But, where does a "peddle assist bike" fall into???
Is that an E-Bike? or have they already missed the bus on that one yet again?
We all know electric bikes with throttles are illegal.
It was the peddle assist bikes that are the "grey area".

Good grief...who was on that committee again????

dougan
12-16-2019, 08:59 PM
No moose hunting unless your an Indian. Horse manure. I recommend class action racial discrimination law suit . Getting tired of wagon burners.

HarryToolips
12-16-2019, 09:03 PM
^^^^^im down....should we start a petition??

BC Cruiser
12-16-2019, 09:06 PM
I personally think of “pedal assist” bikes as ebikes. I would think the proposed changes will incorporate them. I’m sure others know more about this though.

Bugle M In
12-17-2019, 12:02 AM
I personally think of “pedal assist” bikes as ebikes. I would think the proposed changes will incorporate them. I’m sure others know more about this though.
I agree, one would think that is the case.
BUT, unless I see that specifically in the "fine print", I ain't assuming anything yet.
BC Parks gave "specific outlines" as to what Class (A,B or C) EBikes fall into, and they do allow pedal assist just as they would a normal bike.
Where any of the "throttle assisted bikes" had way more restrictions.
Hopefully, they will make it clear. (thinking I am hoping too much)
I have a good idea what the rule should be, given the answer I got from the "law dept" of the CO branch, in where they stated that vehicle closures and now pedal assist bikes sort of cross the line in the "spirit of the intended restriction".

I could care less either way, if they are allowed or not, but just have it specified once and for all so that it eliminates any type of controversy
for the future.
(once I figure out how to log in, I will make that point to them)

However, my opinion of Elephant Hill might get me arrested:roll:

jbruce
12-17-2019, 08:00 AM
we know whats coming over the hill..we grew up watching the movies....

No moose hunting unless your an Indian. Horse manure. I recommend class action racial discrimination law suit . Getting tired of wagon burners.

Laurp99
12-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Whomever is making these recommendations have probably never ridden an eBike!

My eBike has pedal assist as well as a throttle and is high powered compared to most eBikes, now if I were to just use the Throttle alone especially going up hills, my battery which would normally last over 100kms in the city I would be lucky to get 2-5km in the bush, then I would be pushing it. Good hunting weather is typically lousy cycling weather, you need to be totally prepared when out in the boonies on a bike! Try riding any bike when the chain is frozen or covered in mud. I should be able to ride my bike ANYWHERE! BS regulations a coming.

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/85709-1/2019-10-14+09_57_15-1.jpg

Bugle M In
12-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Well, when there is too much snow etc, then yes, I have been left to hunt on foot when I thought I would be hunting the whole week on
my plain jane mtn bike.

warnniklz
12-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Precision Guided - People will take long shots beyond their capabilities with or without technology. I don't support this kind of technology, but I don't think this is a regulation we need right now

EBikes - This is a tough one, there needs to be some classification on what an EBike is I think. How big of a motor can you have before it's an electric motorbike? I think they should just be classified under motorized restrictions. But at the same time... I don't really care one way or another.

Using Aircraft To Locate Wildlife - Thought this was illegal already... shows what I know and that plane flying low on the last day of 4 point season makes a lot more sense now.

Scopes on crossbows - stupid thing to ban.

Weapon selection - I don't think we really need this regulation. I don't support people using a method of take that's less efficient in killing, but we don't need this regulation. Imagine if you speared a critter in a survival situation then you got charged because you used an illegal method of take?

2 Day Delay - I'm in support of this proposed regulation change. My dad bought a goat tag, drove 9 hours and still had to wait until his tag was legit.

Antlerless WT in Reg 5 - Here's the options I would like to see:1 - If it goes LEH... have the season in October
or
2 - Have a GOS for youth and senior hunters
or
3 - Bow only season that harmonizes with mule deer archery season

One regulation I would like to see is:
- Cancel the MD Antlerless draws in November
- Make Antlerless MD archery only Dec 1 - Dec 10
and/or
- Make Antlerless MD youth/senior hunt in October

HighCountryBC
12-17-2019, 05:25 PM
One other thing, on E-Bikes.
I get what E-Bikes are, and why they want to ban them in Motorized Banned areas.
But, where does a "peddle assist bike" fall into???

This ya been addressed numerous times on here by Ourea, myself and others.

wildcatter
12-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Kinda feel like the way you do.
I said before, something's gotta give sooner or later.

caddisguy
12-17-2019, 05:48 PM
So they are banning all spear hunting because with the rational that animals are maimed, suffer and die. I wonder what the stats on that actually are? How many people spear hunt and is the ratio of animals suffering more or less than rifles?

Also, the banning of "chase only" season for cougars does not seem scientific. Does this not instill fear of humans and dogs in cougars? Isn't that a good thing for both humans and cougars?

It seems like SOME of these proposed changes are for PR. Watch next election they will campaign about how they saved animals from being maimed by all these hunters running around with spears... and stopped those poor little cougars from being terrified for no reason at all!

BeerMan
12-17-2019, 07:37 PM
Precision Guided - People will take long shots beyond their capabilities with or without technology. I don't support this kind of technology, but I don't think this is a regulation we need right now

EBikes - This is a tough one, there needs to be some classification on what an EBike is I think. How big of a motor can you have before it's an electric motorbike? I think they should just be classified under motorized restrictions. But at the same time... I don't really care one way or another.

Using Aircraft To Locate Wildlife - Thought this was illegal already... shows what I know and that plane flying low on the last day of 4 point season makes a lot more sense now.

Scopes on crossbows - stupid thing to ban.

Weapon selection - I don't think we really need this regulation. I don't support people using a method of take that's less efficient in killing, but we don't need this regulation. Imagine if you speared a critter in a survival situation then you got charged because you used an illegal method of take?

2 Day Delay - I'm in support of this proposed regulation change. My dad bought a goat tag, drove 9 hours and still had to wait until his tag was legit.

Antlerless WT in Reg 5 - Here's the options I would like to see:1 - If it goes LEH... have the season in October
or
2 - Have a GOS for youth and senior hunters
or
3 - Bow only season that harmonizes with mule deer archery season

One regulation I would like to see is:
- Cancel the MD Antlerless draws in November
- Make Antlerless MD archery only Dec 1 - Dec 10
and/or
- Make Antlerless MD youth/senior hunt in October

Just curious about your thoughts on Oct instead of Nov LEH whitetail doe draw in 5?

180grainer
12-17-2019, 08:05 PM
https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

This is your opportunity to provide input to the recommended changes
Thanks for posting that up.

Husky7mm
12-17-2019, 08:44 PM
So they are banning all spear hunting because with the rational that animals are maimed, suffer and die. I wonder what the stats on that actually are? How many people spear hunt and is the ratio of animals suffering more or less than rifles?

Also, the banning of "chase only" season for cougars does not seem scientific. Does this not instill fear of humans and dogs in cougars? Isn't that a good thing for both humans and cougars?

It seems like SOME of these proposed changes are for PR. Watch next election they will campaign about how they saved animals from being maimed by all these hunters running around with spears... and stopped those poor little cougars from being terrified for no reason at all!

Having a chase only season runs the risk of chasing a cat off its kill or having its kill be lost to other scavengers. It would definitely increase the kill rate of the cougar. This happens all season long already to small cats and she cats with kittens. Some areas literally have way too many cat hunters chasing cats nonstop. This alone could cause a substantial additional decline to ungulates that we just can’t afford. Cats are very proficient killers, they can pretty much kill when ever they feel like. For many yrs in the EK there was far too much cat chasing and not enough cat killing and the ungulates paid the price. You can’t have it all.

warnniklz
12-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Just curious about your thoughts on Oct instead of Nov LEH whitetail doe draw in 5?

Welllll.... it's part of my selfish I wanna hunt big mule deer plan based on anecdotal wishful thinking.

In my perfect world for ME, I'd have any MD & WT buck, youth/senior antlerless MD & WT all in October. 4 point MD and any WT buck for the first 10 days of November. Close for the rut (except WT bucks) then open on the 20th for all deer until Dec 24th for archery...

But that is strictly tailored for me. Scientifically... could be a shit show.

Dannybuoy
12-17-2019, 09:41 PM
I can see the proposals but how does one provide input ?

warnniklz
12-17-2019, 09:48 PM
I can see the proposals but how does one provide input ?

Gotta log in to your BCID. Click the link, then look for login.

Dannybuoy
12-17-2019, 10:10 PM
Gotta log in to your BCID. Click the link, then look for login.
Thanks appreciate it

Sirloin
12-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Welllll.... it's part of my selfish I wanna hunt big mule deer plan based on anecdotal wishful thinking.

In my perfect world for ME, I'd have any MD & WT buck, youth/senior antlerless MD & WT all in October. 4 point MD and any WT buck for the first 10 days of November. Close for the rut (except WT bucks) then open on the 20th for all deer until Dec 24th for archery...

Close the rut?

Hunters like you make me sick.

Worried too much about managing (restricting) other hunters instead of the scientific based management that also gives a wide range of people in the province great opportunities to get out and do what we love to do.

Close down the best hunting opportunity during the year, SMH. How does that thought even enter your brain?

Managing hunters to zero.

warnniklz
12-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Close the rut?

Hunters like you make me sick.

Worried too much about managing (restricting) other hunters instead of the scientific based management that also gives a wide range of people in the province great opportunities to get out and do what we love to do.

Close down the best hunting opportunity during the year, SMH. How does that thought even enter your brain?

Managing hunters to zero.

Woah, if you'really sick eat some soda crackers and drink a ginger ale...

#1... they already shut down the antlered mule deer season in region 5 in November.

#2... my hypothetical idea allows for more opportunity for youth and senior hunters.

#3... if I really wanted exclusive hunting rights, I'd wish that hunting was shut down for everyone except for me.

#5... if you actually get out hunting instead of posting fear mongering threads of articles you find on the Internet, you'll be a lot happier.

wos
12-18-2019, 05:09 AM

Just how is closing the rut going to help anything? Please explain. The rut happens and deer all get pregnant regardless of a hunting season or not. The region 5 rut restriction has done nothing to improve the number or quality of deer in the province. It did ruin a family tradition for me. Just a stupid regulation that has zero positive impact and no scientific backing. If you don't agree with hunting the rut don't hunt it! But I have a sneaky suspicion you're like everyone else and you just travel to an area that is open and hunt the rut.

warnniklz
12-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Just how is closing the rut going to help anything? Please explain. The rut happens and deer all get pregnant regardless of a hunting season or not. The region 5 rut restriction has done nothing to improve the number or quality of deer in the province. It did ruin a family tradition for me. Just a stupid regulation that has zero positive impact and no scientific backing. If you don't agree with hunting the rut don't hunt it! But I have a sneaky suspicion you're like everyone else and you just travel to an area that is open and hunt the rut.

Guess I'm defending something I don't even believe in.

I'll paraphrase you... closing the rut has zero positive impact and no scientific backing.

Well... scientifically... when it''s peak rut, deer get stupid making them much more susceptible to 2 legged predators.

I wrote that regulation change idea saying at the end, scientifically it could be a shit show. Meaning my idea isn't based on any science at all.

Ideally during the rut closure I go goat hunting. So technically yes, I would go somewhere else to hunt during the rut closure. This year I did go to kamloops to hunt during the rut closure to do some exploring. Between the thieves and vehicle problems 2km into the trip, it didn't happen. I also don't really need that week open to get a deer.

Last 2 seasons I haven't killed a deer by choice. And before 2017 it was 5 years since I killed a deer. I could get a deer every year if I wanted to... there''s lots of opportunity to hunt. And when they brought in the rut closure, they did take away that week just for you.

BeerMan
12-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the explanation,my brother has a cabin in 5 and I spend a lot of time up there in October. So just curious.
Enjoy your Getting up to speed thread too.

Piperdown
12-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Hey Warnniklz, just ignore the naysayers, enjoy your thoughts and your threads, keep up the good work. On another note how does your brother keep the 70's look going so good :)

caddisguy
12-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Having a chase only season runs the risk of chasing a cat off its kill or having its kill be lost to other scavengers. It would definitely increase the kill rate of the cougar. This happens all season long already to small cats and she cats with kittens. Some areas literally have way too many cat hunters chasing cats nonstop. This alone could cause a substantial additional decline to ungulates that we just can’t afford. Cats are very proficient killers, they can pretty much kill when ever they feel like. For many yrs in the EK there was far too much cat chasing and not enough cat killing and the ungulates paid the price. You can’t have it all.

Thanks for the extra insight into that. I did not think of cats having to kill more ungulates because they were getting pushed off kills.

Wild one
12-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Fun truth the region 5 bio years ago noticed that buck ratios were low or hovering close to minimums and wanted to improve the ratios in his region. After a ton of backlash and accusations of being an anti or catering to guides the compromise was a rut closer that was actually not enough to rectify the issue. But this what happens when people scream and cry about opportunity lose over concerns about a deer herd

Now fast forward to present day BC has basically a 1 buck limit because ratios were not being met for MD

Sounds like the Bio was actually trying to do his job but was attacked for it

There is a lot about the effects of ratios out there and it goes beyond the number of does getting pregnant. Look into issue Colorado faced over low ratios for example. There is a reason most jurisdictions manage for higher ratios then BC but definitely not a popular opinion in B.C.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 08:24 AM
The mule deer buck hunting closure fom Nov. 10-Nov.20 has not improved deer numbers or pregnancy rates.
It should be stricken from the rules althogether.

All it serves to do is limit hunting opportunities and jam hunters into region 3 during the 10 day closure. Hunters then crowd back into Gang Bang Ranch in droves when it reopens.

Mule deer numbers are at an all time low in region 5. The 10 day closure has not resulted in any type of mule deer population improvement.

boxhitch
12-18-2019, 08:26 AM
There is a reason most jurisdictions manage for higher ratios then BC but definitely not a popular opinion in B.C. and some also manage to a lower ratio.
For the most part, BC reports ratios above their minimum but don't state actual figures that I can find

As for Colorado they had a ratio they felt was too high and actually managed toward a reduction to come more inline with ideals

boxhitch
12-18-2019, 08:32 AM
The mule deer buck hunting closure fom Nov. 10-Nov.20 has not improved deer numbers or pregnancy rates.

All it serves to do is limit hunting opportunities and jam hunters into region 3 during the 10 day closure. Hunters then crowd back into Gang Bang Ranch in droves when it reopens.

Mule deer numbers are at an all time low in region 5. The 10 day closure has not resulted in any type of mule deer population improvement.crowds and droves
Its real quiet in reg 8 after Nov 10

If you understood why the closure was added, you wouldn't be againstit

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 08:58 AM
You tend to just offer up one liners and take shots at peoples post. Just like some drunk mug sitting on a stool in a beer parlour during mid day.

The closure has done nothing to improve mule deer numbers or improve hunting opportunities in region 5.

Redthies
12-18-2019, 09:05 AM
There is a lot left unsaid in the proposals, but I do see some good new regs. The ban on cell phone game cams is great, and I’m really happy about the turkey bag limit increase and additional elk LEH for region 2 Roosevelt.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 09:17 AM
I like the proposed rule regarding spotting game from aircraft.
It will be interesting what I observe and hear or dont hear while sittng upon Terminus Or Gataga mountains this year with a multi band radio scanner.

I used to monitor radio frequencies and listen to the chatter in Muskwa and Tuchodi areas.

Very interesting conversations going on............................

warnniklz
12-18-2019, 09:44 AM
...The closure has done nothing to improve mule deer numbers or improve hunting opportunities in region 5.

If you had ultimate power over the regulations... how would you change them to increase mule deer numbers?

Side note (not directed at you): we can't say we need to hunt more predators to bring their numbers down and then on the other hand say hunters don't have an effect on ungulate populations, so we can have longer seasons and increased harvest numbers.

Sirloin
12-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Woah, if you'really sick eat some soda crackers and drink a ginger ale...

#1... they already shut down the antlered mule deer season in region 5 in November.

#2... my hypothetical idea allows for more opportunity for youth and senior hunters.

#3... if I really wanted exclusive hunting rights, I'd wish that hunting was shut down for everyone except for me.

#5... if you actually get out hunting instead of posting fear mongering threads of articles you find on the Internet, you'll be a lot happier.

I was joking about you making me sick. Sounded funny to me.

But seriously....

Hunters publicly advocating its a good idea to shut down the best hunting times of the year. On a thread about public input for regulation changes.

not very wise.

I wonder if your submissions to the government included requests to shut down the rut in other regions???
Why not open the reg 5 rut in your hypothetical idea of best case scenario ideal hunting regs?
Because deer get stupid and lots of guys end up shooting big bucks, and you get real nervous and jealous when other guys are shooting big bucks?
Closing the rut without real science and results to back it up is just an attempt at trophy management and nervous jealously over big bucks being shot by others IMO.

If hunters advocating for restrictions on ourselves spend less time picking their butthole, sniffing it and dreaming about limiting everyone else's best opportunities at big bucks so one day they might get a big buck...... they would realize the dwindling opportunities, serious loss of land access we are facing and hold onto the open seasons we have left with white knuckles.

and if people took some of the "fear mongering" by others in the past seriously, about breakdowns in society and terrible paths our government are taking our country down while selling us out....places like Kamloops might not be as crime, needle infested, violent places. Maybe you could have got out there and enjoyed the rut instead of having your truck smashed and gear stolen.

You are probably right though. If I spent less time being aware of the serious irreversible problems we are facing within, and outside of hunting, i'd be a lot happier.
It's real easy and happier to focus on me, myself and I. Better to drive off the cliff when you don't know its there right?

Spent close to 25 days hunting this season, including a 10 day backpack hunt. I get my big buck every year, this year too! Makes me happy.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 10:29 AM
If you had ultimate power over the regulations... how would you change them to increase mule deer numbers?

Side note (not directed at you): we can't say we need to hunt more predators to bring their numbers down and then on the other hand say hunters don't have an effect on ungulate populations, so we can have longer seasons and increased harvest numbers.

1.) No open or leh doe season for anyone

2.) Stricter enforcement of speeding and reduced speed limits on highways in areas with known deer populations living close to highways (everywhere lol)

3.) LARGE SCALE PREDATOR MANAGEMENT (wolves, coyotes, cougar) THIS IS A MUST.

4.) Better Alignment of opening and closing dates across regions in order to spread out hunting pressure.

5.) Reduction of motor vehicle access restrictions. (again to spread out hunting pressure and reduce concentration of hunters)

6.) Do not allow cattle grazing or range fence on crown land

And last but not least, mandatory painting of all green alfalfa fields to the rainbow colour pattern. This may prevent does from flocking to the green, green grass of home and deter the big, macho, heman bucks from entering field. It would also make you feel much better while hunting as "rainbow" seems to be a colour that I believe you enjoy.

Wild one
12-18-2019, 10:44 AM
and some also manage to a lower ratio.
For the most part, BC reports ratios above their minimum but don't state actual figures that I can find

As for Colorado they had a ratio they felt was too high and actually managed toward a reduction to come more inline with ideals

Most manage 30% plus and when they manage for lower then 20% it’s for select zones(usually with a low of 15%)and other zones that will exceed 50% at times. Most herds are managed beyond 20%

Colorado at one time actually had a decline in populations that was deemed as a result of too low of a ratio. In all honesty I have not heard anything about the attempt to lower their ratios so can’t comment on it

Regardless BC management is a lower ratio then most jurisdictions manage for

Wild one
12-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Mule deer numbers are at an all time low in region 5. The 10 day closure has not resulted in any type of mule deer population improvement.

It was done as a comprise do to backlash the bio received and this created in effectively results to correct the issue

Really the main population problems are far beyond legal hunting and regs won’t fix it

warnniklz
12-18-2019, 10:52 AM
1.) No open or leh doe season for anyone You know, I say we need a doe season to bring buck/doe ratios into balance, but I'm against cow moose harvest? so I could be swayed on this.

2.) Stricter enforcement of speeding and reduced speed limits on highways in areas with known deer populations living close to highways (everywhere lol) Oh jeebus... if we could claim roadkill, I'd never have to touch the trigger again. Just cruise between the puddle and 100 mile once a week. BOOM 5 deer in the freezer.

3.) LARGE SCALE PREDATOR MANAGEMENT (wolves, coyotes, cougar) THIS IS A MUST. Agreed. Hunters (especially me) should be out hunting predators right now.

4.) Better Alignment of opening and closing dates across regions in order to spread out hunting pressure. Black bears in 7-8 you can the fall starting August 15. But wander across the Cottonwood River (I'm pretty sure is the boundary, which I can swim across and I'm not even a good swimmer) and you have to wait to hunt black bears until September 10. Makes nunna sense to me

5.) Reduction of motor vehicle access restrictions. (again to spread out hunting pressure and reduce concentration of hunters) yeaah... nooo... I hate it when I'm out hoofin it and a side by side goes blowing by blasting Luke Bryan. Meanwhile I've cruised roads blasting Lamb Of God... soooo... I wouldn't be sad if there was more vehicle restrictions... but... I won't push for them.

And last but not least, mandatory painting of all green alfalfa fields to the rainbow colour pattern. This may prevent deer from flocking to the green, green grass of home. It would also make you feel much better as "rainbow" seems to be a colour that I believe you enjoy ah ha ha ha ha, pure gold. I love it.

[QUOTE=Sirloin;2139524]I was joking about you making me sick. Sounded funny to me.

But seriously....

Hunters publicly advocating its a good idea to shut down the best hunting times of the year. On a thread about public input for regulation changes.

not very wise. sometimes you eat a big bag of sourpatch kids even though you know it'll make your teeth hurt, but you do it anyways.

I wonder if your submissions to the government included requests to shut down the rut in other regions??? I said my piece on proposed regulation changes, which you can see... but no I'm not for or against rut closures anywhere.

Why not open the reg 5 rut in your hypothetical idea of best case scenario ideal hunting regs? A week of closed hunting saves me money
Because deer get stupid and lots of guys end up shooting big bucks, and you get real nervous and jealous when other guys are shooting big bucks? I've never been jealous or nervous about big bucks. Excited? sure. Have I got big deer? Yup... Do I get upset when I don't get one? nope.
Closing the rut without real science and results to back it up is just an attempt at trophy management and nervous jealously over big bucks being shot by others IMO. Not being able to shoot a deer between September 1 through November 10th and November 21 through December 10th and needing that week in November to get your deer... there was plenty of impressive deer taken in region 5 during October this year.

If hunters advocating for restrictions on ourselves spend less time picking their butthole, sniffing it and dreaming about limiting everyone else's best opportunities at big bucks so one day they might get a big buck...... they would realize the dwindling opportunities, serious loss of land access we are facing and hold onto the open seasons we have left with white knuckles. Loss of access is a shit kicker... use to hunt a spot near Blue Lake north of town, then it was shutdown. Farwell Canyon, this one is kind of shitty. It use to be great for hunting. But Douglas Lake Ranch has that shut down. But on the other hand, mountain bikers have put the area on the world map. So if enough people are invested in the area, they'll have an interest on keeping that area pristine. Not 100% sure how I feel on Farwell yet. Would like to discuss that with several different viewpoints. Meldrum Creek/Moons Ranch use to be amazing! Absolutely amazing for deer hunting. Do I know the cause of the decline? No. But I do know there's way less access and way less deer in that area now and haven't hunted that way for over 10 years now.

and if people took some of the "fear mongering" by others in the past seriously, about breakdowns in society and terrible paths our government are taking our country down while selling us out....places like Kamloops might not be as crime, needle infested, violent places. Maybe you could have got out there and enjoyed the rut instead of having your truck smashed and gear stolen. Shitty things happen everywhere... but short answer, it's a hunting site, not CNN.

You are probably right though. If I spent less time being aware of the serious irreversible problems we are facing within, and outside of hunting, i'd be a lot happier.
It's real easy and happier to focus on me, myself and I. Better to drive off the cliff when you don't know its there right? Not against being informed... well maybe a little bit. (driving off a legit cliff is a nightmare I have regularly lol) Hunting is about escaping "society" and we may be off topic now?

Spent close to 25 days hunting this season, including a 10 day backpack hunt. I get my big buck every year, this year too! Makes me happy. It would be really cool if you shared those hunting stories. Especially since I know you put spaces.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 11:07 AM
:grin::grin:

Come on folks get with it. It was proven long ago by biologists that white tailed deer displace mule deer and kill them with their huge racks. And they do not coexist, they do not interbreed, and they will never under any circumstance share a meal together in an alfalfa field. The huge aggressive whitetail will kill the mule deer before it hops the fence.

tinhorse
12-18-2019, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=caddisguy;2139369]So they are banning all spear hunting because with the rational that animals are maimed, suffer and die. I wonder what the stats on that actually are? How many people spear hunt and is the ratio of animals suffering more or less than rifles?

I wonder how the first nations feel about this...after all isn't a stick the original North American hunting tool..???:roll:

Bugle M In
12-18-2019, 12:45 PM
All these issues folks, the bickering, the divide, all stems from one common denominator!
LACK OF GAME!!!

If our Wildlife Pops were in good shape, hunting would be reasonably good out there for everyone, from RH, to GO's to FN.
That is just the plain truth Folks!!!

Think of BC as the "pie plate".
Well, inside that plate, there are now only "crumbs" to be had!!
ASK WHY!!!!!!

The MINISTRY and the Government of today and way to the past, have created this issue.
And we have been foolish and blaming each other because we haven't seen the trees before the forest!

The only thing I can think of, if it is a possibility, is to take the Ministry etc to Court!
They have not acquired sufficient funding over the years, which can be proven at a minimum by our tags not going fully back into
conservation.
Things like Pred management, in particular Wolf Cull, due to "political gain", meaning they are more concerned about being re-elected then
to do what is needed (sometimes you have to do whats best by going against the grain) and that also can be proven by volumes of
Bio documents expressing professionally what was needed and they have ignored!

Lack of Protection to habitat, and we see that now with the whole Killer Whale issue due to private sector interests at the expense of the
BC Residents, the actual owners of the land!

I could go on and on about all the evidence that is right in front of us all!!!

IF the FN, BCWF, GOABC, WSS and whoever else is out there would all go in together, to fight the Government/Ministry at a "legal level",
you might be able to save the wildlife and possibly our hunting heritage.

Otherwise, the sand is about to have fully trickled out of the hour glass.
Game Over is just around the corner.
Does nobody see that??????

LBM
12-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the extra insight into that. I did not think of cats having to kill more ungulates because they were getting pushed off kills.

Caddisguy you have to realize what husky wrote is coming from a guy that is a ungulate hunter, and from what he wrote doesnt like cats and doesnt no that much about them.
The EK use to be on a quota for cats so if it was meet season was shut down, thus the pursuit season so people could still chase. Now did this have issues sure like those that
would try to kill the female quota right away so the season would be shut etc. There was also years were the quota was meet and they never shut the season down still left
it open. They have to be managed like anything along with the hunters but imo it really hasn't been done well.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 01:24 PM
All these issues folks, the bickering, the divide, all stems from one common denominator!
LACK OF GAME!!!

If our Wildlife Pops were in good shape, hunting would be reasonably good out there for everyone, from RH, to GO's to FN.

ASK WHY!!!!!!

The MINISTRY and the Government of today and way to the past, have created this issue.
And we have been foolish and blaming each other because we haven't seen the trees before the forest!

The only thing I can think of, if it is a possibility, is to take the Ministry etc to Court!
They have not acquired sufficient funding over the years, which can be proven at a minimum by our tags not going fully back into
conservation.
Things like Pred management, in particular Wolf Cull, due to "political gain", meaning they are more concerned about being re-elected then
to do what is needed (sometimes you have to do whats best by going against the grain) and that also can be proven by volumes of

Lack of Protection to habitat, and we see that now with the whole Killer Whale issue due to private sector interests at the expense of the

IF the FN, BCWF, GOABC, WSS and whoever else is out there would all go in together, to fight the Government/Ministry at a "legal level",

Plain to see as the helmet on my fat head. I concur.

I also see that all these pesky little 2 bit rules translate into violations fines and cash being generated for the big bad G.

Just wait until the hydro turbines go up on the Fraser and Thompson after the salmin are all gone.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Caddisguy you have to realize what husky wrote is coming from a guy that is a ungulate hunter, and from what he wrote doesnt like cats and doesnt no that much about them.
The EK use to be on a quota for cats so if it was meet season was shut down, thus the pursuit season so people could still chase. Now did this have issues sure like those that
would try to kill the female quota right away so the season would be shut etc. There was also years were the quota was meet and they never shut the season down still left
it open. They have to be managed like anything along with the hunters but imo it really hasn't been done well.

Release the hounds. Release the hounds.

But be damn sure to follow up with lead.

Sirloin
12-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Shitty things happen everywhere... but short answer, it's a hunting site, not CNN.

It would be really cool if you shared those hunting stories. Especially since I know you put spaces.

If you see a topic you might not like in the OPEN TOPIC section, don't click it, move on, be happy. Why should a community of people who share a common interest be confined to discuss only that one interest?

If you see a topic you might not like in the politics section, click it... it's probably a warning your hunting/firearm/land access/freedom/ opportunities are about to disappear and you should probably do something about it.

And CNN is bias propaganda, you should know that.

I'm glad you are into my formatting.

LACK OF GAME!!!

ASK WHY!!!!!!

conservation.

Lot of truth in this ^^^ What are we going to do? Our government is not going to take care of it....

We are in a predator pit...Dr. Valrius Geist talks about it here(specifically about BC): https://player.fm/series/the-hunting-collective/ep-79-predator-pits-riding-moose-and-fighting-for-the-north-american-model-with-dr-valerius-geist

Game levels are never going to return to what they were in the past, not with any amount of hunting regulation changes...not with LEH 6-point only archery only mule deer Oct 10-13th. Gender non binary youth disabled person of color only with non-scoped crossbow only season, region 9a zone 6f - Oct 1-2, 10,15,20.

We hunt bucks. We take a very small piece of the pie, and the does are getting bred, every year. Pregnancy rates seem very good. Our piece should be more than replaced.
Survival rates are not good. Older breeding stock is being taken out by wolves and cats, new fawns are being taken out by bears leaving populations unable to rebound. Downward spiral.

I've seen wolf sign, heard wolves, caught wolves on trail camera's in every area i've hunted this year.
Last year the same, had wolves hunting the same area we were with fresh tracks in the snow overnight zig zagging through every stand of timber on winter range.

over management of hunters won't do the job. Might see improved ratio's....but overall low numbers of deer compared to the past.
Wolves, cats and bears need taken care of. All the roads/cuts have made them way too efficient, quick to move areas and pocket game into stands of timber. 24 hours a day/365 days a year looking for game to kill. The amount and ways we used to take care of predators doesn't happen anymore. The odd hunter shooting a wolf or two isn't going to cut it either.

Ohwildwon
12-18-2019, 10:23 PM
B.C. government targets province-wide prohibition of precision guided firearms for hunting
https://www.wltribune.com/news/b-c-government-targets-province-wide-prohibition-of-precision-guided-firearms-for-hunting/?fbclid=IwAR0-CvOoORQZZarspaQPVyOcz_-DSnZALWxBoJmYwjzpJkH4LnyH2KmsGqI

Who hunts this way?

Rich Americans with a Guide?

Dannybuoy
12-18-2019, 10:32 PM
I'm surprized none of trail cam guys have chimed in yet .... New regs proposed there too...

Bugle M In
12-18-2019, 10:47 PM
B.C. government targets province-wide prohibition of precision guided firearms for hunting

https://www.wltribune.com/news/b-c-government-targets-province-wide-prohibition-of-precision-guided-firearms-for-hunting/?fbclid=IwAR0-CvOoORQZZarspaQPVyOcz_-DSnZALWxBoJmYwjzpJkH4LnyH2KmsGqI

Who hunts this way?

Rich Americans with a Guide?

Well, nobody here yet!
BUT, it's probably a good idea to get ahead of it before someone does.
And you know what, eventually someone here would!

I bet they wish they had of done that with X-bows and a few other things in the past.
Good someone in there is getting on top of stuff.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 10:50 PM
Long range hunting is not very fulfilling. Actually, it is more like killing or executing. I tried it for a season and discovered that it was not to my liking. And big holes in the animal. Much too big.
Much more fun to hunt the good ole way. Much more fun to shoot water bottles at 600+.

SemperAurum
12-18-2019, 11:04 PM
I'm surprized none of trail cam guys have chimed in yet .... New regs proposed there too...

Hunting with an internet live cam would be like waiting for the call girl that you know is coming to the hotel door. When she leaves you tell yourself that it was really not all that exciting or gratifying.
Hunting the old fashioned way is like snagging the hottest babe in the room on a random visit to a watering hole. Much more exciting and gratifying.

Ohwildwon
12-18-2019, 11:31 PM
Proposed Regulations:
Remove Yohetta Mountain Goat LEH season from regulation

Rationale:
In 2014, the Supreme Court of Canada granted the Tsilhqot’in Nation a declaration of title to 1,750 square kilometers of land in the South Chilcotin. Mountain goat LEH zone A of 5-04 is exclusively within, or accessed through, the Tsilhqot’in Nation title area. As title holders, the Tsilhqot’in Nation determines use of, and controls access to, the declared title lands, including the area within mountain goat LEH zone 5-04 A. A bridging agreement from 2014-2019 was in place to allow guide outfitters to operate within the title land and maintain a minimum LEH opportunity. Resident access to title lands for the purpose of hunting is not permitted by the Tsilhqot’in Nation.
As per provincial policy, closure of this mountain goat zone will apply to both resident hunters and guide outfitters with tenure areas overlapping LEH zone 5-04 A.

Oh Boy....

Ohwildwon
12-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Interesting, With all the other links to a map, I would get a map.

This one, Big Brother wants you to CHECK IN.

Black Bear Hunting in Coastal Bear Viewing Areas
Regulation Number:
2020-05-10

Decision Statement:
Pending

Current Regulations:
Management Unit 5-9: black bear general open season from Apr. 1-June 30 (spring season) and Sept. 1-Nov. 30 (fall season).
Management Unit 6-3: black bear general open season from Apr. 1-June 30 (spring season) and Aug. 15-Nov. 30 (fall season).
There is no open season for black bears in those portions of MU 6-3 being Gribbell Island, Kitasoo Spirit Bear Conservancy on Princess Royal Island, within 1 km of the Whalen Estuary on Princess Royal Island).

Proposed Regulations:
Management Unit 5-9: Prohibit black bear hunting in Mussel Inlet and shorten the spring season from Apr. 1-June 30 to Apr. 1-30 and the fall season from Sept 1-Nov. 30 to Oct. 16-Nov 30 within 1km of the Korich River, Kainet River, Lard River, and Salmon Bay.
Management Unit 6-3: Shorten the spring season from Apr. 1-June 30 to Apr. 1-30 and the fall season from Aug. 15 1-Nov. 30 to Oct. 16-Nov 30 within 1km of Bolin Bay, Butedale, Green Lagoon, and Khutze Estuary.
Click here to see a map of the proposed black bear hunting regulation changes. (https://www2.qa.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/ahte-maps-2020/black_bear_map.pdf)

Rationale:
The areas proposed for shortened black bear hunting seasons include Butedale River, Khutze Estuary, Green Lagoon, Bolin Bay, Mussel Inlet Special Management Area, Korich River, Kainet River, Lard River, and Salmon Bay. A year-round black bear hunting closure is proposed for the Mussel Inlet Special Management Area in Fiordland Conservancy to align with the Laiq (Mussel Inlet) Bear-viewing operational plan (2019-2023).
The areas are all in the traditional territory of the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Nation. They are in a remote part of the Great Bear Rainforest, accessed only by boat or float plane. The closure areas are being proposed by the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Nation and are identified as priority areas in the Nation’s tourism planning. The proposed areas also receive high-use from other commercial operators.
The proposed closures are proposed to maintain effective bear viewing in important areas, reduce potential human-wildlife conflict and reduce overlap, spatially and temporally, with bear viewing operations.

Sirloin
12-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Interesting, With all the other links to a map, I would get a map.

This one, Big Brother wants you to CHECK IN.

Black Bear Hunting in Coastal Bear Viewing Areas
Regulation Number:
2020-05-10
Decision Statement:
Pending
Current Regulations:
Management Unit 5-9: black bear general open season from Apr. 1-June 30 (spring season) and Sept. 1-Nov. 30 (fall season).
Management Unit 6-3: black bear general open season from Apr. 1-June 30 (spring season) and Aug. 15-Nov. 30 (fall season).
There is no open season for black bears in those portions of MU 6-3 being Gribbell Island, Kitasoo Spirit Bear Conservancy on Princess Royal Island, within 1 km of the Whalen Estuary on Princess Royal Island).
Proposed Regulations: Management Unit 5-9: Prohibit black bear hunting in Mussel Inlet and shorten the spring season from Apr. 1-June 30 to Apr. 1-30 and the fall season from Sept 1-Nov. 30 to Oct. 16-Nov 30 within 1km of the Korich River, Kainet River, Lard River, and Salmon Bay.
Management Unit 6-3: Shorten the spring season from Apr. 1-June 30 to Apr. 1-30 and the fall season from Aug. 15 1-Nov. 30 to Oct. 16-Nov 30 within 1km of Bolin Bay, Butedale, Green Lagoon, and Khutze Estuary.
Click here to see a map of the proposed black bear hunting regulation changes. (https://www2.qa.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/ahte-maps-2020/black_bear_map.pdf)
Rationale: The areas proposed for shortened black bear hunting seasons include Butedale River, Khutze Estuary, Green Lagoon, Bolin Bay, Mussel Inlet Special Management Area, Korich River, Kainet River, Lard River, and Salmon Bay. A year-round black bear hunting closure is proposed for the Mussel Inlet Special Management Area in Fiordland Conservancy to align with the Laiq (Mussel Inlet) Bear-viewing operational plan (2019-2023).

The areas are all in the traditional territory of the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Nation. They are in a remote part of the Great Bear Rainforest, accessed only by boat or float plane. The closure areas are being proposed by the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Nation and are identified as priority areas in the Nation’s tourism planning. The proposed areas also receive high-use from other commercial operators.
The proposed closures are proposed to maintain effective bear viewing in important areas, reduce potential human-wildlife conflict and reduce overlap, spatially and temporally, with bear viewing operations.

They screwed up a bunch of their links. HERE (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/ahte-maps-2020/black_bear_map.pdf) is the proper link to the map.