PDA

View Full Version : BC Outdoors promoting anti hunting organization

sthdslayer
12-13-2019, 10:42 AM
I was disappointed to see in the latest edition of BC Outdoors, at the end of the article BC's Coastal Wolves, that they were Promoting the Wildlife Defense League. The following is from there website.
Ban the Hunting of Cougar, Lynx & Bobcat in British Columbia, Canada

Wild one
12-13-2019, 10:49 AM
WTF is with B.C.

RICKADY
12-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Disappointing for sure, then they'll want to ban Wolf and Coyote hunting too,
Then watch what happens to game #'s,

12-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Misguided environmentalism

limit time
12-13-2019, 11:30 AM
HaHaHa.....

Bugle M In
12-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Yup....BC at it's finest these days.
Folks, better wake up or it will get banned one day!
We need some major Pred Studies done to support "hunting them".
To show the impact they have if left unchecked.
Hunters better organize.
And some need to start running in politics to cover the bases.
Seems like every fanatical Anti is in government or are starting to fill important positions.
Look at Heyman!!

Wild one
12-13-2019, 12:54 PM
You guys need a voice that is not sucking the anti’s tit

Pauly
12-13-2019, 01:13 PM
I agree we need to stand up. On another note though my dad says a trapper way back animals were and still are cyclical. At some point with or without our preds will crash from lack of prey. So hunting preds is no big deal

Wild one
12-13-2019, 01:35 PM
I agree we need to stand up. On another note though my dad says a trapper way back animals were and still are cyclical. At some point with or without our preds will crash from lack of prey. So hunting preds is no big deal

As an ex trapper I would say that does not apply to all predators especially coyotes/wolves. Coyotes are ever present and wolves move from valley to valley and cycle back to the start. The canines are well adapted to a many different food sources and wolves will travel. The increase in man made path ways have increased the size of the circuit they can now run as well.

Lynx, and Martin, definitely have up and down cycles

Man has changed the landscape so much balance and cycles are out of whack and are not going to be fixed even within my kids life times

Plus trappers, hunters, and farmers where way more active knocking back predators in the past

tomcat
12-13-2019, 02:13 PM
I agree we need to stand up. On another note though my dad says a trapper way back animals were and still are cyclical. At some point with or without our preds will crash from lack of prey. So hunting preds is no big deal Predators are controlled by disease, starvation and other predators of which man is the superior one. Thus, the hunting and trapping of predators is desirable to maintain a balance for the general benefit of the predators and the human population.

Timbow
12-13-2019, 02:34 PM
I noticed a few things that really opened my eyes.

When was the last time you noticed a posted picture of a harvested predator on BC Outdoors Outdoor Memories or a hunting story? I’m not talking about a black bear but rather a wolf or cougar?

Look at the number of advertisements and compare the number of fishing to hunting?

I am at a loss here. If this is a movement of the antis infiltrating media to send there message I say F..k them. I will be sending B.C. Outdoors an email about my disappointment and I will be sending an email to everyone of their hunting sponsors about using their advertisement dollars to promote anti hunting.

Enough is enough, I’m done.

CranePete
12-13-2019, 02:45 PM
I could see this happening way back, when they tried to force a split. I could either have hunting or fishing, but not both in my subscription (for the same price). After subscribing for 15 years, I wrote a letter to the publisher, followed by a phone call, expressing my displeasure and demanded a refund as I was paid ahead for a couple of years. Makes me mad all over again, dammit.

Elkaholic
12-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Predators are controlled by disease, starvation and other predators of which man is the superior one. Thus, the hunting and trapping of predators is desirable to maintain a balance for the general benefit of the predators and the human population.

Damn Tomcat waaaaay too much common sense there!

Red_Mist
12-13-2019, 03:40 PM
That’s disappointing. Anyone wanna pull the knife outta the back of the hunting community ?

Piperdown
12-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Quit buying and reading that rag 20 years ago

Linksman313
12-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Yup Yup ban hunting all the pred's so they kill all the game, then y'all wont need hunting rifles anymore either! (see gun ban thread) I see where this is going.

marcus44
12-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Haven't read BC outdoors in years and I dont plan on it after this

cpwrestler
12-13-2019, 06:07 PM
I wonder how their hunting-based advertisers would feel if they knew a magazine they were paying money to advertise in were promoting an anti-hunting organization...

Oh and don’t forget, BC Outdoors is part of a national chain of Outdoor magazines... Looks like the Anti’s are attacking on all fronts. Buy up hunting tenures, take over hunting magazines, lobby politically. We need to up our game!

Ride Red
12-13-2019, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=sthdslayer;2138157]I was disappointed to see in the latest edition of BC Outdoors, at the end of the article BC's Coastal Wolves, that they were Promoting the Wildlife Defense League. The following is from there website.

What issue are you looking in? I looked at Nov/Dec 2019 and can’t find it.

m5wilson
12-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Anyone have a picture of the wildlife defence league promotion in the BC Outdoors issue. I think the least that could be done is to send an e-mail but I would like to be able to see what I am e-mailing about specifically?

358mag
12-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Really hate to see BCWF still front row and center in BC Outdoors magazine .

cpwrestler
12-13-2019, 07:18 PM
It’s the edition with the wolf on the cover. The cover story is about a named wolf on discovery island and finishes with a reference for more info go to WDLs website. It’s utterly incomprehensible to see the tactics used by the antis in a hunting magazine.

The conspiracy theorist in me says the article’s goal is to advertise the fact that there’s a lone wolf on an uninhabited island to a bunch of hunters via the magazine so that one of us goes and kills it which they in turn will use to generate more propaganda.

HarryToolips
12-13-2019, 08:21 PM
Disappointing, as I usually buy the magazine with their hunting forecast issues before the fall season starts....ill have to ask them wtf....

Foxton Gundogs
12-13-2019, 08:37 PM
BC Outdoors, magazine of the BCWF you all know, the Conservation(not hunters) organization that partnered with Rain Coast on the Heart Of The Fraser. Time to start paying the Piper. Why does this surprise anyone?

Seriously, it is time for each and every member of this site to call and write, and tell them we are "Mad as hell and we are not going to take it any more". Also hit the advertisers and let them know we the Hunters of BC will not support business that suport anti hunting. This is one of the most blatant attacks and betrayal of the hunting community yet.

https://www.tnof.ca/attachments/1576295621943-png.21047/

201A-7261 River Place
Mission, BC V4S 0A2
Phone: 604-820-3400
Fax: 604-820-3477

802-1166 Alberni Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 3Z3
info@outdoorgroupmedia.com

1-800-663-7611
service@outdoorgroupmedia.com

Mike Mitchell
Associate Publisher & Editor
BCO Sportfishing TV (https://www.bcosf.ca/) Host
mmitchell@outdoorgroupmedia.com

Michaela Ludwig
Assistant Editor
editorial@outdoorgroupmedia.com

Iva Zima
Art Director
production@outdoorgroupmedia.com

Mark Yelic
Publisher & President
myelic@outdoorgroupmedia.com

Accounting Inquiries & Invoicing
awilliams@opmediagroup.ca

Christine Ly
Digital & Web Coordinator
Please email any web related queries and issues to cly@opmediagroup.ca

the hopper
12-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Just saw this on the ferry, just about fell over. Lol wtaf.��*♂️

sjhawes
12-14-2019, 01:09 AM
I hope "Takaya" will eventually meet the business end of a snare or bullet, unbeknownst to cbc of course...

northof49
12-14-2019, 01:10 AM
Will be cancelling subscription and sending letters

Muliechaser
12-14-2019, 05:56 AM
I was having a discusion with my father last night who now lives in saskatchewan but grew up hunting here in the 70s to 2010 and i picked up here aswell in 98 with my grandfather and dad who has also hunted here since the 50s . None of us are trappers.
He did mention all ove the above .
Human enroachment . Logging . Roads and cycles .
He said that what he has noticed as the years went by was a predator density that waxed and waned thruout the years . Peaking every 6-10 years . Predator sightings and sign would increase and ungulate sightings and sign would decrease in some areas ,become more spread out and start showing sign in harder to reach areas and uncommon areas to see sign . Obviously due to the heavy presence of preds .

He has a journal he started in 79 taking notes of all kinds .
He pointed out that he noted densitys and sightings coupled withweather patterns and beyond .

In breif the cycles of numbers and slow vs high years in his observations are .

High/normal years

79/80/86/87/88/94/95/01/02/03/09/10

My observations tail off of that and bring me to 2011/12/17/18

These are all personal observations of normal to high years in game sightings (deer) .

What i noticed was there was a definate trend in the dates continueing up to this day . However . As the years have gone by the sightings are noted as "high" these are still observations with over all densitys shrinking in some areas .

My dad tells me stories most people wouldny beleive . But ive heard those same stories from the old timers else were and there are pictures to prove it . What a hay day . Either way .
Agree with the fact that predators need to be culled to help .

Which reminds me . My truck is warm !! Time to go .

Mc

338win mag
12-14-2019, 06:25 AM
I can't get all worked up until I see what you are talking about....link?
Not much is going too happen until there is some unification within the hunting community. There is a massive political force available in the unifying of Resident hunters, G/O, and the Native hunter's who aren't bought and paid for, I have identified this and put forth my idea's to those who can effect real change...Crickets.

Often Crickets are heard because its not their idea, nothing more than that, a human fault that has led to the downfall of many.

Wild one
12-14-2019, 06:50 AM
I can't get all worked up until I see what you are talking about....link?
Not much is going too happen until there is some unification within the hunting community. There is a massive political force available in the unifying of Resident hunters, G/O, and the Native hunter's who aren't bought and paid for, I have identified this and put forth my idea's to those who can effect real change...Crickets.

Often Crickets are heard because its not their idea, nothing more than that, a human fault that has led to the downfall of many.

this is very true ^^^

Look at the last 10years in BC and you will see that antis gaining ground coincides with some major negative points for hunter relations in B.C.

browningboy
12-14-2019, 08:31 AM
The way it’s going hunting will be done like the dodo bird.. Our community is small in overall population, we are portrayed as cavemen rednecks to most and the news and government only solidify that.

Ride Red
12-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Well, we all had the opportunity to show up in Victoria and Kelowna only a couple years ago, but most chose to go to work or stay home leaving us with only a small showing of people. Getting hunters together is like herding cats, they’ll spend countless hours online, but how many have actually done anything more. Unless we start showing our numbers, our sport will continue to decline.

Ride Red
12-14-2019, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=sthdslayer;2138157]I was disappointed to see in the latest edition of BC Outdoors, at the end of the article BC's Coastal Wolves, that they were Promoting the Wildlife Defense League. The following is from there website.

What issue are you looking in? I looked at Nov/Dec 2019 and can’t find it.

Ok, it’s the Jan/ Feb 2020 edition
https://shop.opmediagroup.ca/products/bc-outdoors-january-february-2020-issue

Foxton Gundogs
12-14-2019, 11:20 AM
The following was posted on another site this am. Second hand info but??????

This from Facebook

Mike Mitchell (https://www.facebook.com/mike.mitchell.1420) Hey gang

First off let me apologize for the side bar links . The article is about how the coastal wolves are adapting and changing their diet.
The links in the article were supposed to be removed and during the final edit were left in as an over site.

We are pro hunting , I am pro hunting. I get the impact other wolf packs are having in other parts of the province and this in not meant to be a save the wolves article but more of a wildlife feature on adaptation
Thank you all for calling us out and holding me personally accountable
Again I’m truly sorry for offending you all this was not my/ our intention
We will be placing a retraction note in the next issue
Mike Mitchell

bcmulie
12-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Hey Folks,

The BCWF does not support the Wildlife Defence League. You may recall that earlier this year we ran a campaign supporting the managed wild cat hunt in BC in response to the WDL's campaign to ban wild cat hunting. That was one of our many initiatives this year in support of hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation, and conservation in BC.

I have raised the reference to Wildlife Defence League with Mike Mitchell, the editor of BC Outdoors magazine, and have received a response similar to what Foxton Gundogs posted above. I believe Mike is very upset about this mistake. BC Outdoors magazine is a longtime supporter of hunting in BC. Mistakes happen; it's how we address the mistakes we make that matters, and I believe BC Outdoors is addressing this one appropriately.

As hunters, we need to stick together or we will lose our way of life. I urge all of you to continue supporting both the BCWF and BC Outdoors magazine.

Alan Dabb
Director, BCWF

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-14-2019, 02:27 PM
I think that is a very fair response, and a retraction would take a clear stance against radical fringe groups such as the WDL.
thanks for taking the time to write this up and reaching out to the Mag.

Hey Folks,

The BCWF does not support the Wildlife Defence League. You may recall that earlier this year we ran a campaign supporting the managed wild cat hunt in BC in response to the WDL's campaign to ban wild cat hunting. That was one of our many initiatives this year in support of hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation, and conservation in BC.

I have raised the reference to Wildlife Defence League with Mike Mitchell, the editor of BC Outdoors magazine, and have received a response similar to what Foxton Gundogs posted above. I believe Mike is very upset about this mistake. BC Outdoors magazine is a longtime supporter of hunting in BC. Mistakes happen; it's how we address the mistakes we make that matters, and I believe BC Outdoors is addressing this one appropriately.

As hunters, we need to stick together or we will lose our way of life. I urge all of you to continue supporting both the BCWF and BC Outdoors magazine.

Alan Dabb
Director, BCWF

Red_Mist
12-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the clear and prompt response.

cpwrestler
12-14-2019, 07:34 PM
This was not just an editing mistake where a link was accidentally included. The problem is way bigger. It’s the fact that the article also anthropomorphizes the wolf. Naming animals is one of the primary strategies antis use to generate outrage when wildlife is killed... look no further than the effect Cecil the lion had relative to all the other lions that are killed. Furthermore, given that it was an article that was endorsed by WDL, including the link was at least the honest thing to do. Take the link out and you’re just hiding the fact that BC Outdoors is printing anti hunting propaganda. At least this way it’s out in the open! The link isn’t the problem, it’s the fact that BC Outdoors is including anti hunting propaganda.

As an aside, I thought the article itself was totally bogus. There is absolutely no evidence presented that wolves diet and behavior is “changing”. Coastal wolves have likely always eaten seafood and seals... they’re dogs and dogs will eat whatever food is available! Much like attempts to label the “eastern wolf” or the “red wolf” as distinct species, this coastal wolf naming is another attempt to give special status to these wolves so that they can receive special protection. Again... this article shouldn’t have been anywhere near a hunting magazine, link or not.

Deaddog
12-14-2019, 07:54 PM
This was not just an editing mistake where a link was accidentally included. The problem is way bigger. It’s the fact that the article also anthropomorphizes the wolf. Naming animals is one of the primary strategies antis use to generate outrage when wildlife is killed... look no further than the effect Cecil the lion had relative to all the other lions that are killed. Furthermore, given that it was an article that was endorsed by WDL, including the link was at least the honest thing to do. Take the link out and you’re just hiding the fact that BC Outdoors is printing anti hunting propaganda. At least this way it’s out in the open! The link isn’t the problem, it’s the fact that BC Outdoors is including anti hunting propaganda.

As an aside, I thought the article itself was totally bogus. There is absolutely no evidence presented that wolves diet and behavior is “changing”. Coastal wolves have likely always eaten seafood and seals... they’re dogs and dogs will eat whatever food is available! Much like attempts to label the “eastern wolf” or the “red wolf” as distinct species, this coastal wolf naming is another attempt to give special status to these wolves so that they can receive special protection. Again... this article shouldn’t have been anywhere near a hunting magazine, link or not.

Bingo! The apology for the link is really an apology for getting caught. That raincoast “ friends” of some in bcwf ( ask some of the current paid/or exec who it was that tried to get raincoast to present to the board) and therefore WDL ( friends of raincoast) are given the opportunity to push this drivel in a hunting magazine ( and apparently wanted it hid) is incomprehensible

quadrakid
12-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Hit the nail on the head.

Bugle M In
12-15-2019, 01:51 AM
Isn't that magazine pretty much just a fishing magazine???
At one time it had decent hunting articles, but then switched over and there was only the odd hunting article
Goes to show I haven't bought one in years:smile:
And I wont be buying one ever again, apology or not, they have shown their real cards;)

Ride Red
12-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Isn't that magazine pretty much just a fishing magazine???
At one time it had decent hunting articles, but then switched over and there was only the odd hunting article
Goes to show I haven't bought one in years:smile:
And I wont be buying one ever again, apology or not, they have shown their real cards;)

They have iirc 6 fishing and 6 hunting issues a year. I’m a member of the Mission Rod and Gun and they are part of the membership through BCWF.

SemperAurum
12-15-2019, 09:17 AM
I have never read a BC Outdoors magazine for years. I find the informationon this forum to be much better. I especially enjoy the attacks on indians and the outright racism displayed in the posts. Not to mention all the post regarding the failure of our government to act in the best interests of wildlife. And also the posts about the agendas of the BCWF and other puppet clubs.

Redthies
12-15-2019, 12:59 PM

I joined BHA a few months back with hopes they would actually be active, and I have not heard a single word from them. They asked me for my mailing address which I assumed was for them to send me some info on how to get involved etc etc, but not a word. Once things settle down in the new year I will start tracking them down.

Redthies
12-15-2019, 01:26 PM
The following was posted on another site this am. Second hand info but??????

This from Facebook

Mike Mitchell (https://www.facebook.com/mike.mitchell.1420) Hey gang

First off let me apologize for the side bar links . The article is about how the coastal wolves are adapting and changing their diet.
The links in the article were supposed to be removed and during the final edit were left in as an over site.

We are pro hunting , I am pro hunting. I get the impact other wolf packs are having in other parts of the province and this in not meant to be a save the wolves article but more of a wildlife feature on adaptation
Thank you all for calling us out and holding me personally accountable
Again I’m truly sorry for offending you all this was not my/ our intention
We will be placing a retraction note in the next issue
Mike Mitchell

The retraction will be a tiny note on the bottom of page 5 or 6. Nobody will ever see it. Not sure how many anti hunters or “on the fence” people actually read BC Outdoors, but the simple fact that the body of the article even in the roughest of drafts contains links to or or mentions of anti-hunting groups is ridiculous.

Wild one
12-15-2019, 01:39 PM
I joined BHA a few months back with hopes they would actually be active, and I have not heard a single word from them. They asked me for my mailing address which I assumed was for them to send me some info on how to get involved etc etc, but not a word. Once things settle down in the new year I will start tracking them down.

Well best of luck in Alberta the BHA came in and pissed off a bunch of hunters and did piss all but create access restrictions

If the BHA takes the same path in BC they are just going to create more division

303savage
12-15-2019, 02:00 PM
When I was a young feller and told an an adult about seeing a bear The first words out of the adults mouth were "did you shoot it" bears were in the same class as rats to be killed when you seen one.

TexasWalker
12-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Well best of luck in Alberta the BHA came in and pissed off a bunch of hunters and did piss all but create access restrictions

If the BHA takes the same path in BC they are just going to create more division

They fully support Y2Y and are aligned with multiple anti groups.
Wolves in sheeps clothing.

TexasWalker
12-15-2019, 08:25 PM
I found it interesting that on the Hunting BC facebook page where Mike Mitchell posted his response, one of the admins has called out Jim Foxton for having a fake profile that is only used for stirring the shit.
Can't say I'm surprised given his track record on the BC forums lol

HarryToolips
12-15-2019, 09:24 PM

Well said......

303savage
12-15-2019, 10:00 PM
Then watch what happens to game #'s, What's next are they going to ban weeding your garden?

Tripitaka
12-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Alan Dabb
Director, BCWF

A hypocritical request considering BCWF threw Creston Valley Rod & Gun Club under the bus during last years predator tournament. In terms of starting debate and rallying BC hunters, CVRG did more in two months this year than BCWF has done in 10 years.

You can 'urge' all you want, Alan, but when the people that put money in your accounts think you are working against their interests then there is a growing financial threat. Once hunters wake up and realise that 50%+ of their rod and gun club fees goes to BCWF (for affiliated clubs) and that all they have to do to change that is put an affiliation vote on the table at their AGM that is supported by those few members in attendance, the BCWF accounts will start getting hit. It doesn't matter what reality we live in, to succeed, we must deal with perception.

Squamch
12-16-2019, 08:19 AM

I've been preaching this since I first heard them getting pushed up here. They're not pro hunting, they're pro-walking.

Bugle M In
12-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Sorry if this is a little off track, but reading some of the posts I thought I would put this forth.
I agree, we have a few groups in BC, some old like BCWF and some new like BHA.
And yes, there seems to be issues that continue to divide hunters rather then unite them for one great cause and to stick together.

There is a new group on FB, called Hunters for BC.
If you want, check it out and make your own decisions, but I just thought I would present it as an alternative.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/796358684144407/

Jagermeister
12-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Sorry if this is a little off track, but reading some of the posts I thought I would put this forth.
I agree, we have a few groups in BC, some old like BCWF and some new like BHA.
And yes, there seems to be issues that continue to divide hunters rather then unite them for one great cause and to stick together.

There is a new group on FB, called Hunters for BC.
If you want, check it out and make your own decisions, but I just thought I would present it as an alternative.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/796358684144407/
WOW! 957 members. Times that by three and it would probably equal the BCWF membership.

Wild one
12-16-2019, 11:38 AM
WOW! 957 members. Times that by three and it would probably equal the BCWF membership.

Don’t know anything about this group but even if it’s only 957 members they have to start somewhere

Bugle M In
12-16-2019, 12:06 PM

It's new.
Its trying to get legs.
Have to crawl before it can walk and hopefully run.

Is it going to be the right solution down the road...I hope so.
Or it could be another group with issues that create the same as we already see in the BCWF, just more rifts between hunters.

I don't know?
I am just putting it out there, and inform folks on HBC to check it out!
You folks can decide?
Not for me to make those decisions.
I am merely the "messenger"!