PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Butchering Knife Set

dak0ta
12-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Any recommendations on a quality knife set for butchering ducks to moose? Victorinox or Zwilling Henckels?

stixnstones
12-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Hit up stuffers in Langley off Fraser Hwy. There great n have everything you need.

pin_head
12-11-2019, 11:25 PM
I’ve got a victorinox set that I’ve been really happy to have for butchering and for everyday kitchen use. I used their knives as well when I was guiding on the ocean and filleting a dozen plus fish a day. I’m no expert but they seem great for the price point and are super easy to put an edge on once they dull.

Brad

saskbooknut
12-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Cabela's Henkels commercial set with yellow handles is a good buy when on sale at $99.

RyoTHC
12-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Cabela's Henkels commercial set with yellow handles is a good buy when on sale at $99.

it’s currently on sale for 99

dak0ta
12-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Ok thanks will look into those brands. Seems like Henckels and Victorinox are the common ones.

tigrr
12-12-2019, 08:42 AM
I have a large set of Victorinox for our moose butchering group. I do pick up the odd knife at thrift stores if the steel sounds good. I must have about 50 butcher knives by now. Next is buy a good stone sharpening devise. Last is a good long steel for touch ups during butchering.
I can keep 5 people with my knives happy through a moose with my high end none knurled steel doing touch ups. Pull the sharp edge back and then dress it. Watch a video about dragging the knife backwards on the steel then drawing it forwards on the steel.

tim.l
12-12-2019, 09:29 AM
I have the henckels set from cabelas. It's done 2 deer and half a cow in the last 2 years and I really like it. Can't speak for any of the other brands though.

adriaticum
12-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Hit up stuffers in Langley off Fraser Hwy. There great n have everything you need.

Yah this.

I vote for Victorinox

dak0ta
12-12-2019, 10:35 AM
For waterfowl and other upland birds, you want a semi-flex boning knife to get a nice clean cut for the breast meat?

trowt
12-12-2019, 12:33 PM
For waterfowl and other upland birds, you want a semi-flex boning knife to get a nice clean cut for the breast meat?

This, in 5-6", is all you need for anything up to a moose as well.

Mark-R
12-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Another vote for Victorinox. I have the 6" stiff boning knife with fibrox handle (non-slip) I got from my local Home Hardware. Affordable. Flexible version as well.
This one: https://www.paulsfinest.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Stiff-Boning-Knife-40511.html
Does a great job from working on those quarters once home to serving the roast on the table.
Done 5 deer so far no complaints.

blacksn95
12-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Our hunting camp all use the Henkels set from Cabela's.. it's on sale this week for $100 which is pretty good value.. comes with 6 knives and a sharpening steel.. we got them cause I used to use these yellow handle ones for general food prep in a restaurant and wore well

https://flyers.cabelas.ca/h/m/cabelascanada/flyer/browse?auto_locate=true&flyer_run_id=433458&locale=en&type=1

srupp
12-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Hmmm have Henkles 2 man kitchen set..also couple Victornix...I also have a Global Boning knife..
cheers
Srupp

Arctic Lake
12-13-2019, 10:26 AM
As already mentioned above Victorinox or their cheaper line Swibo or Henckels or F. Dick. Use knives that butchers and meat cutters use . Get anti slip handles like Fibrox or similar. F. Dick sharpening steels are the best in the world . I recently tried the yellow handled Henckels steel from Cabelas and was impressed . Light strokes on the steel . Remember a steel technically just realigns the edge after it has turned over . To put an edge on a knife you need a stone medium and fine grit ,get good water stones from a knife outlet or Lee Valley has an awesome selection !
Arctic Lake

walks with deer
12-13-2019, 12:10 PM
i buy boning knives at peavy mart cheap and good..

then my wife doesnt yell at me when i leave it stuck in a tree.

BearSupreme
12-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Vicorianox or F Dick are the ones I always saw when I was a meat cutter for 10 years. Both high quality blades, the main difference is the Victorianox has slightly thicker handles and have a bit more texture to the plastic so if you have bigger hands I would recommend Victorianox and if your hands a bit smaller like mine I would recommend F Dick.

gbrown001
12-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Another vote for the victorinox fibro blades. I've done a half dozen deer with them now, but mostly just use the boning knife. The other blades are good for general kitchen use, but if you are just looking for a blade
for cutting meat, a good boning knife will meet most of your needs.

saskbooknut
12-14-2019, 07:05 AM
While a good 6 inch flexible boning knife does most of my deer cutting, I use a longer knife for cutting steaks even thickness, or trimming the roasts.
My favourite for cutting steaks is a slender 10 inch Wusthof slicer.

quadrakid
12-14-2019, 08:48 AM
You can buy super sharp flexable boning knives from a good restaurant supply store for cheap. Cheap enough you never spend time sharpening.