PDA

View Full Version : How to get free wolf bait

Ohwildwon
12-11-2019, 08:09 PM
So, some of us want to hunt Wolves.

One way is to use bait.

How would someone obtain suitable bait in the lower mainland, or anywhere else in the province?.

Be it Cattle Ranchers, Butchers etc...

Thx!

Wild one
12-11-2019, 09:15 PM
To get enough bait you want to start early collecting it. Beyond butchers and any farmers these are options I have used for trapping and others I know for wolf hunting

Hides, scrapes and bones from hunters get the word out before the season. Even bear works

Taxidermist is a good source. Skinned out ungulate heads are great because they are easy to tie to a tree or anchor to a frozen lake or pond

Even fish carcasses

You will need a lot of bait because you need to keep a reliable bait station. I am talking hundreds of pounds. Wolf hunter I know in Alberta has collected carcasses and hides from over 30 deer, 2 moose, 4 elk and a bunch of other stuff. This will be two bait stations. So basically get whatever you can

meatcicles added to your bait station help prolong your bait. I have had a pack of wolves eat up 300lbs of bait within a few days. You can also put your bait in the wrong spot and it last months.

Good luck

bankshot
12-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Call the local highway/road maintenance outfit Argo, YRB, AIM etc. ask where they dump the road kill.

Wild one
12-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Call the local highway/road maintenance outfit Argo, YRB, AIM etc. ask where they dump the road kill.

BC has crappy law with roadkill must have a trappers license and registered trapline to pick it up.

tigrr
12-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Be the first to a dead deer on the highway. Bag it and freeze it.(slightly illegal)
Bait might sit at a site for weeks till a wolf finds it. The ravens can clean it up in days when they find it.

S.W.A.T.
12-12-2019, 09:45 AM
BC has crappy law with roadkill must have a trappers license and registered trapline to pick it up.

Sometimes a CO will make an exception if you tell him it's for dog food

LBM
12-12-2019, 09:59 AM
So, some of us want to hunt Wolves.

One way is to use bait.

How would someone obtain suitable bait in the lower mainland, or anywhere else in the province?.

Be it Cattle Ranchers, Butchers etc...

Thx!

Don't use dead live stock.

Easiest way is to not bother with baits at all.

Wild one
12-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Don't use dead live stock.

Easiest way is to not bother with baits at all.

If a guy cannot provide the time to invest in baiting or the resources I would agree. If you don’t live close to your area this is likely the case

Lots of guys get the job done calling and if you can’t invest the effort/time into baiting this is likely the option to go with

From what I have seen from those who hunt wolves successfully both are good options but both involve different skills

rocksteady
12-12-2019, 11:56 AM
A very good trapper friend of mine gave me his opinion of everyone and their dog (no pun intended) picking up road kill and making bait stations... It has severely impacted his ability to get wolves with trapping. According to him, all of this roadkill being dumped and people using it as bait stations is silly, as wolves are smart. You MAY get one or so if you are diligent on the bait, dawn to dusk day after day, but once one shot is fired, the wolves will only come to the baits in the pitch black, eat their fill and move on. In his opinion, you are really just feeding the wolves, not baiting them. AS well, again, his opinion, if you happen to shoot one of the alphas, male or female, that usually causes the pack to split into 2, with other alpha breeding pairs being created and thus doubling the breeding rate.

Prior to people dropping carcasses, he was catching approx. 10 to 15 wolves a year, but now that all of these other food sources are out there, the wolves are not as hungry, so more leery to enter his snare/trap stations.

He has over 40 years of trapping experience, so I respect his abilities and knowledge. His fur piles that go to auction every year are extremely impressive.

jan.wi97
12-12-2019, 11:58 AM
What type of calls would be recommended? and at what intervals etc?

Wild one
12-12-2019, 12:23 PM
A very good trapper friend of mine gave me his opinion of everyone and their dog (no pun intended) picking up road kill and making bait stations... It has severely impacted his ability to get wolves with trapping. According to him, all of this roadkill being dumped and people using it as bait stations is silly, as wolves are smart. You MAY get one or so if you are diligent on the bait, dawn to dusk day after day, but once one shot is fired, the wolves will only come to the baits in the pitch black, eat their fill and move on. In his opinion, you are really just feeding the wolves, not baiting them. AS well, again, his opinion, if you happen to shoot one of the alphas, male or female, that usually causes the pack to split into 2, with other alpha breeding pairs being created and thus doubling the breeding rate.

Prior to people dropping carcasses, he was catching approx. 10 to 15 wolves a year, but now that all of these other food sources are out there, the wolves are not as hungry, so more leery to enter his snare/trap stations.

He has over 40 years of trapping experience, so I respect his abilities and knowledge. His fur piles that go to auction every year are extremely impressive.

I would say there is truth to what he says and honesty most hunters who try to bait wolves don’t have the time/dedication to capitalize on it

Personally I won’t bait predators for hunting because of this. If I go to try my luck it’s calling and I am not very good at it lol. I am better off slinging steel and cable

Wild one
12-12-2019, 12:27 PM
What type of calls would be recommended? and at what intervals etc?

I suck at it but know guys who do well so take what I say with a grain of salt. Howling, fawn/calf/rabbit in distress, and crow calls is what I have been told to use. I would ignore my timing because I only get the odd coyote when I have tried

12-12-2019, 12:43 PM
I know of trappers that use beef from cattle ranch and farms with great success but they are good at what they do.

On another note.

Maybe ......something that should be considered although could be dangerous, but then again maybe not in the eye of some judges, is night time shooting. Pit lamping the Bush Dogs while in season.

Heck if its legal for a special group to knock down Moose Elk Deer Caribou etc at night.....why not every one?

Maybe if all challenged this we could at least get Pitlamping removed from the OK acceptable practice by FNs. And at least likely have more Ungulates on the ground with night time shooting totally removed and made Unlawful by ALL. Accountability by ALL.

Im not advocating this but if I had extremely deep pockets I would love to challenge it in the courts. The example of acceptable practice has been sent by the chosen special group.
One law for all right? Or cry Racism.
The Governments are clear they are scared shatless to perform a Cull so to speak....except in the case of the Caribou, its likely to little to late.

With the spineless politically correct leaders we have in power expect the rest of the Ungulate family to continue to spiral down until a complete collapse of all Wildlife including Wolves and Cats.

Sure wish I lived much much closer to the hungry Wolves. Were in big trouble in this Province when it comes to management of Wildlife. I feel for the Bios that put their heart and soul into their occupation. Only to truly actually be controlled by the Politically Correct fools that continue to think the Wolves,Cats and Bears are so cute fuzzy ad cuddly.
The video out there of the Pack of Wolves killing the 2 domestic Dogs off someones front porch needs to hit the Media big time.

What ever happened to Balance for all species.

SemperAurum
12-12-2019, 06:50 PM
I am surrounded by wolves in every direction. I see their tracks, hear them howl, and see the odd one. I rarely if ever get a clean shot at one. Usually when I see them I dont even have a gun.

Wild one
12-12-2019, 07:06 PM
I am surrounded by wolves in every direction. I see their tracks, hear them howl, and see the odd one. I rarely if ever get a clean shot at one. Usually when I see them I dont even have a gun.

sounds about right lol

walks with deer
12-12-2019, 08:03 PM
xytol remove the pride..sugar supplement.

walks with deer
12-12-2019, 08:08 PM
i made a massive bait station,caribou,elk,moose,deer cow,sheep,goat,turkey,chicken waste from aug to december...once the use was very heavy i gave the location to a third generation trapper freind..he was very happy as he sold pelts and collected bounty from bc cattle men.

me i had a pack of wolves removed from less than two km from my house. remove peide skinny them up.

walks with deer
12-12-2019, 09:28 PM
i made a massive bait station,caribou,elk,moose,deer cow,sheep,goat,turkey,chicken waste from aug to december...once the use was very heavy i gave the location to a third generation trapper freind..he was very happy as he sold pelts and collected bounty from bc cattle men.

me i had a pack of wolves removed from less than two km from my house. remove peide skinny them up.

xlcc
12-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Here is a video of a wolf hunt I found.These tactics have worked for me as well.Western Wolf Hunting 10 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMIGbEfikGQ) You don't need to have a bait station and if you don't live where you can watch your bait it is just a place to feed the critters.For you guys that want to try wolf hunting get a few predator calls and try howling to locate and drive around in the snow to find tracks.Don't use the same call in the same places you set up at regularly.Once something comes in and you shoot continue to call and you can often get another shot or two.
A few days ago I helped a trapper friend get 2 elk carcasses that a train killed then we dragged them behind my pickup up an old logging road a few miles to a spot that he chose then set a bunch of snares away from the bait.Dragging the elk spreads the sent around.A guy saw us and asked what we were up to?My buddy told him we were trolling for coyotes.It works.Another time we dragged a moose quarter down a frozen lake about 20 miles then cut a hole in the ice and stuck the leg in and presto a frozen moose sickle.If you plan where to set up you can sneak to your spot and get a long shot if they are there.The birds are a calling card too.
Just some ideas that have worked for me.

303savage
12-13-2019, 09:19 PM
BC has crappy law with roadkill must have a trappers license and registered trapline to pick it up. That seems like a strange law.