PDA

View Full Version : How to judge if the game goes down?

rollingrock
10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Speaking of game recovery, I've watched some hunting videos, and most of them were shot in the States. Quite often in those videos hunters were sitting on a tree stand and waiting for the quarry to show up. Once the shots fired or arrows released most times the game would run crazy. Then when they heard the tree branch crushing deep in the bush they would start celebrating with hi fives. Now I've never been in that situation, so I have no experience in judging if the game goes down in that scenario. But how can you tell that crushing sound was caused by downed game?

Gateholio
10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Sometimes you can hear them fall over.

Bow Walker
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Most of the time in those cases the animal in question goes over and starts it's death throes - ie. The Funky Chicken. What they hear is all the underbrush being kicked and broken/disturbed. It's quite the distinctive sound.

rollingrock
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I know animals like deer or bear can move quietly and fast in thick bush, but sometimes when they panick you can hear a lot of crushing sound all the way up. Like I jumped a huge blacktail buck (one of the biggest I've ever seen) at very close range in thick dark bush the other day and both of us were surprised. He ran up that way, I rolled down the hill in the other direction, only because that crushing sound was so enormous that I thought that was a bear charging at me. By the time both of us stopped we were over 100 yards apart, and he stopped at sky line for a second and took off. :D

Now back to the topic, so my understanding is that when the game is just shot, it could still run as usual and you can bearly hear anything. And then you hear disturbance/crushing somewhere in the bush. So logically you may draw the conclusion that the game is down?

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
They celebrate because of good shot placement- it makes no difference if you hear or see the animal go down- when the shot is good, you know you've got it. I always stay 20 minutes after a perfect shot unless I see the animal drop. If there is any question of a 1 lung shot, I wait 2 1/2 hours before even looking for my arrow. A gut shot gets a min. of 7 hours- in theory, a gutshot ungulate will never ever live more than 7 hours, and should will most likely be within 200 yards and at max 500 yards if not pushed. I give them at least 8 to error on the side of caution. The key point that most people don't follow and I'd say the reason most people lose game is because they don't wait- I've seen one lunged and gutshot animals walk for miles once pushed.

Paulyman
10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Judging by the neck shot i placed this weekend with my 300wsm, when the animal drops like a sack of potatoes i usually guess the animal has gone down

Upon retrival of the muley i shot, i found the neck was really loose,when i butchered it i realized why, I had placed my shot directly on the spinal cord severing it completley, that deer didn't suffer for even a second, something which made me very happy!

Paulyman
10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
It's those damn prarie chickens you have to give some time before retriving,they seem to find some way of getting away if they know you're coming after a good shot placment.

dougan
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Same Way You Tell If A Track Is Fresh"deer Standing In It" You See It Go Down I Think That Yahoo Breath Like Your Giveing Birth Crap Is Just For Tv .

youngbuck
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I've seen one lunged and gutshot animals walk for miles once pushed

Been there!!
I gut shot a deer once.
I waited 10 minutes and then decided to go see if even hit it.
I get to the point where the deer was and see blood.
All of sudden I hear the hoofs moving. I followed the blood trail and 100 yds away there was a pool of blood where the deer was laying.
At that point the stalk was on and 1.5 hrs later the deer was down.
In retrospect, i should have just left the deer.
Curiousity got the better of me.

Orangethunder
10-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I think that at times the hunter can see the game go down and you, the viewer, cannot. Other times I think its confidence in shot placement or verification from the guide or spotter or camera guy.

As for one lunged or gut shots, sometimes you dont know whether the shot was good or not. I feel that you should always be ready for the follow up shot if needed.

Gateholio
10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I do find some of those shows to be pretty entertaining in a way they don't intend to be..

I laugh at some of the guys that get so excited that they shot a deer from a treestand on a private ranch that it loooks as if they are going to drop to thier knees and treat themselves right there.:-P

Or the shot where the hunters are out "looking" for the deer, then they find it. I always wonder why they dont' just ask thier cameraman, since he is clearly standing behind the deer abotu 3 feet aaway.:-P