PDA

View Full Version : Feel lot Safer With Electric Fence Around My Camp

hunter1947
12-07-2019, 07:28 AM
This 5000 battery powered controller puts out 5000 volts is good for 30 miles travel of electricity..total cost for entire set up 200 bucks..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1_elec.jpg..http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2_elec.JPG

.................................................. .....................http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3_elect.JPG

kosser
12-07-2019, 07:49 AM
how long it take to set up?

hunter1947
12-07-2019, 07:59 AM
how long it take to set up?Three hours and the fence came down in 30 min ,,would be a good idea to put up
an electric fence around your game animals that are on the meat pole

nature girl
12-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Good idea Wayne I bet ya sleep way better now.

Bugle M In
12-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Good post Wayne,

With the GBear of the list to hunt, I can already see that bears in camp is going to be an issue a lot more in the years to come.
(Already have seen the explosion of BBear where I hunted this fall for elk)

So yes, something like this could definitely help and you went to town with the 3 sets of wires for a fence.
Especially when you spend countless days out there alone.

hunter1947
12-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Good idea Wayne I bet ya sleep way better now.

Nature Girl and others Ever Since I had that black bear come into my camp early morning 12 feet from me this year 2019 I said enough is enough so I spent 200 bucks all what I
needed for an electric fence..
Took me 3 hours to put up all and 30 min to take it down ,,the controller has 5000 volts it puts out I know it works because on youtube it tells you how to check to
see if the fence lines works.

You hook up the juce wire to the two prongs on one end of the 4 foot light tube and you put the other end onto the to ground lights up like you turned on the
lights in the shop I have inselator handels on my exit out of camp one day I touched the wire near the handle did I ever get a boot when right up to my brain
maybe that's why I am a little slow now ,,LOL.

Evanescence i put that fence up had no bears come into the hunting camp and yes when I an in their most of the
time solo I feel much better at night when I am sitting around the fire in the dark and fast asleep at night

I have had grizzly bear come through my camp over the years one time if you remember in a post i put up a few years ago that a grizzly
bear took my deer off the meat pole at night..

I Lost the entire deer all that was left was his claw marks on the tree he climbed to get at the deer and a pile of bones scattered all over the place
Never did find the rack head off this whitetail deer the meat pole is 20 feet hi..

Since then I put barbed wire 6 inches apart and up 10 feet high and a 4x6 piece of plywood with 3 inch spikes 4 inches apart and lay this plywood
with the nails under the animal that are hanging up on the meat pole..

Marc
12-07-2019, 01:57 PM
I had an electric fence similar to this around my beehives up in the mountains and nothing touched the hives the two months they were up there. About 2 weeks ago took Angela out for a drive to shoot some guns and we spotted a Black Bear not 300 yards from where the hives were located. I may go looking for him in the spring. Sooner have him in my freezer then find $8000.00 in beehives destroyed.

hunter1947
12-07-2019, 03:26 PM
I had an electric fence similar to this around my beehives up in the mountains and nothing touched the hives the two months they were up there. About 2 weeks ago took Angela out for a drive to shoot some guns and we spotted a Black Bear not 300 yards from where the hives were located. I may go looking for him in the spring. Sooner have him in my freezer then find $8000.00 in beehives destroyed.

Yes Marc the electric fences we put up keeps from anything getting destroyed Marc what kind of controller do you have around your bee

hives and what is the voltage that your controler puts out ??

Bigdoggdon
12-07-2019, 08:01 PM
I've often wondered if there was a way to rig a smoke detector to a tripwire, wake you up when an animal comes into camp at night.

srupp
12-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Hmmm have 2 specific locations I would prefer this peace of mind with nasty agressive shit head G bears..lol
great post.
Srupp

wildcatter
12-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Where did you buy your setup Wayne?
Everywhere I look the price is higher.
Did it come with the battery and a charger?

hunter1947
12-08-2019, 04:37 AM
Where did you buy your setup Wayne?
Everywhere I look the price is higher.
Did it come with the battery and a charger?

I got 95% of my setup here in cranbrook at top crop,,the fence line 1000 feet for the price of 60 bucks the insulators that go on the fence or tree 7 bucks for a bag of 25..
The controller and insulated handles from Amazon the controller was 130.00 bucks the insulator 6 handles where 4 bucks each..

The two 12 volt batt out of my boat I have I use a deep cell batt good for recharging when the sun is out I use a solar panel to recharge the battery every day.

The controller going 24 hours a day runs the batt down 2 volts a fully charge 12 volt truck or car batt is 12.80 volts..I have a set up negative and positive wires
coming from my truck battery to inside my cab of the truck passengers side,,look at one of the pictures on this tread and you can see the solar panel I purchased
from CT store.
I did not include the solar panel with the cost for the fence because I use the panel for many other things to charge up ,,the solar panel cost me 200.00 bucks puts
out 2 volts in the direct sun cloudy conditions .5 volts

When I go out for a hunt I can put one batt from the two I have inside my passengers floor boards the two alligator clips make for a fas connection when I take the
two leads off I clip the two part of the underneath dash board so won't touch each other and they are out of the way for the passenger sitting in the truck..

I leave the two wires coming from my main batt hooked up all the time there not a bother because they are out of the way,,the bottom fence line is 12 inches off the
ground the second line is 2 feet up off the ground the third fence line is at 4 feet off the ground just as the picture shows,,the CO came into my camp to check on
us..
The first thing he said this sure is a good idea the real to wind in the fence line I made up I put one 3 inch screw top and bottom of the 2x4 secure it to a tree wind in
just like a downrigger spoil,,picture shows all on what this unit looks like.

hunter1947
12-08-2019, 04:56 AM
I've often wondered if there was a way to rig a smoke detector to a tripwire, wake you up when an animal comes into camp at night.

I bought a sensor light in Victoria at costco store when I was in victoria for a month this year cost 50 bucks comes with 3AA battery the package includes a 8x6 solar panel you
can put onto a tree or make a stand up from a 2x4x8 standing up on a 2x2 piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood.

The mounting plate for the sensor light when you fasten it to the holding pole you can take it of the mounting plat for quick detachment ,,the light has 3 different swivel lights that
can angel 180 degree angle.

All and all long story short is when you have the the 2x4x8 you can move the light anywhere you want to..I put the light angled to my side of the camper or angled in front of the
wall tent do whatever suits you..

Picture shows all the wire that is attached to the solar panel is 15 feet long so you can move it away from you solar light if needed so sun can get at the solar panel..

I made up a aluminum plate that I can secure to the solar panel makes for a quick release when you want to take the panel off of whatever you have it attached to just like
the sensor light quick release ,,any animals get through my electric fence and then comes into the sensor light range the sensor light lights up the whole camp and you can
see what's out there instead of trying to fumble for the flashlight and rifle ,shotgun in the dark.

This sensor light has short med or long distance setting on it I set mine on long distance the sensor light has LED lights ,,one more thing is you need a good ground rod to
put into the ground I bought a galvanized 1/2 rod 8 feet long at a electrical supplier cost me 14 bucks..

I then cut it into 3 pieces I wield a heavy flat washer on top of each 3 pieces of ground rod this makes it easy no slipping when I put my winch cable hook under the washer
to pull the rod out of the ground only used one of the 3 pieces to drive into the ground for to go from the controller to the ground rod..

I leave the top of the ground rod 4 inches up from the bottom of the ground so if I want to pull it up to take it out to use elsewhere,,,I did a video of my setup will try to find
this clip and post the link up on this thread..

.................................................. ..............
.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00841.JPG.

wildcatter
12-08-2019, 01:33 PM
I got 95% of my setup here in cranbrook at top crop,,the fence line 1000 feet for the price of 60 bucks the insulators that go on the fence or tree 7 bucks for a bag of 25..
The controller and insulated handles from Amazon the controller was 130.00 bucks the insulator 6 handles where 4 bucks each..

The two 12 volt batt out of my boat I have I use a deep cell batt good for recharging when the sun is out I use a solar panel to recharge the battery every day.

The controller going 24 hours a day runs the batt down 2 volts a fully charge 12 volt truck or car batt is 12.80 volts..I have a set up negative and positive wires
coming from my truck battery to inside my cab of the truck passengers side,,look at one of the pictures on this tread and you can see the solar panel I purchased
from CT store.
I did not include the solar panel with the cost for the fence because I use the panel for many other things to charge up ,,the solar panel cost me 200.00 bucks puts
out 2 volts in the direct sun cloudy conditions .5 volts

When I go out for a hunt I can put one batt from the two I have inside my passengers floor boards the two alligator clips make for a fas connection when I take the
two leads off I clip the two part of the underneath dash board so won't touch each other and they are out of the way for the passenger sitting in the truck..

I leave the two wires coming from my main batt hooked up all the time there not a bother because they are out of the way,,the bottom fence line is 12 inches off the
ground the second line is 2 feet up off the ground the third fence line is at 4 feet off the ground just as the picture shows,,the CO came into my camp to check on
us..
The first thing he said this sure is a good idea the real to wind in the fence line I made up I put one 3 inch screw top and bottom of the 2x4 secure it to a tree wind in
just like a downrigger spoil,,picture shows all on what this unit looks like.

Thanks for the good info Wayne!

hunter1947
12-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the good info Wayne!

You HBC members glad I can share

Rieber
12-08-2019, 04:57 PM
For goodness sakes, please be careful when you go out at night to take a leak. :p

Arctic Lake
12-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Hunter 1947 I had been thinking of something like this when tenting . Very good deterrent ! Also shorty shotgun in the tent
Arctic Lake

kootenaycarver
12-08-2019, 07:25 PM
I use a UDAP electric fence. only weighs 3.7 lbs and is powered by 2 "D" cell batteries. Claims batteries will last 5 weeks. Bought it on Ebay for about $130.00, (used) There are a number of U-tube videos on line. Set up time is short, unless your on real rocky ground and getting the post set can be a problem. Worth a Google look.

xlcc
12-09-2019, 08:19 AM
Paranoid hunters or what.I understand your concerns.I had a bear knock my tent down and step on me at night in coal black can't see your hand in front of your face conditions.Talk about scary or what but still don't even think about a bloody fence around my camp.Over the years I've encounter bears in some very awkward situations.Campsites are the worst but BC is a wild place,I like it that way and I will take my chances thank you.

hunter1947
12-10-2019, 03:03 AM
Paranoid hunters or what.I understand your concerns.I had a bear knock my tent down and step on me at night in coal black can't see your hand in front of your face conditions.Talk about scary or what but still don't even think about a bloody fence around my camp.Over the years I've encounter bears in some very awkward situations.Campsites are the worst but BC is a wild place,I like it that way and I will take my chances thank you.

Your welcome

Jagermeister
12-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Just so you are aware that an electric fence does not make you invincible.
https://youtu.be/_gMC11x1luA

barongan
12-10-2019, 10:20 AM
great post, very interestinghttp://juragan.club/assets/2/o.png

Jagermeister
12-10-2019, 11:56 AM
and my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs

Bugle M In
12-10-2019, 12:03 PM
No, it doesn't, but it sure beats nothing, but yes, people should still be aware of their surroundings at all times, even with protection.

Still, its a great thread and some great info!

Norwestalta
12-10-2019, 12:16 PM
I've got a solar powered one. I think it's good for 150 miles and still have bears come thru the cow pasture. It keeps the cows in though. Works real good for keeping the dogs out of the garden and worked exceptionally well when the barn cat touched it with the bald spot under its tail. Instant 4x4 lock up and gone. Lol

Bugle M In
12-10-2019, 12:25 PM
I've got a solar powered one. I think it's good for 150 miles and still have bears come thru the cow pasture. It keeps the cows in though. Works real good for keeping the dogs out of the garden and worked exceptionally well when the barn cat touched it with the bald spot under its tail. Instant 4x4 lock up and gone. Lol

:mrgreen:.………………………………………..

Foxton Gundogs
12-10-2019, 01:14 PM
We have used one(or similar) for years as a horse coral when hunting on horseback, Never lost a horse, never had an "intruder". Still sleep with the "Holy Crap Canon" though

Marc
12-10-2019, 06:02 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7695&stc=1

This is thew one I got Wayne looks like last years model of yours.

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 04:47 AM

Yes Marc that's the newer model from the one I got 6 years ago ,,Marc you know all to well about the problem with grizzley within the area I hunt..
You only came in once and we had a grizzly bear encounter,,Did you purchase this 12 volt controller ??

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 04:54 AM
No, it doesn't, but it sure beats nothing, but yes, people should still be aware of their surroundings at all times, even with protection.

Still, its a great thread and some great info!

I always keep my 12 gauge defender loaded up at all times when in my camp ,,I keep bear spray close by at all times as for a bear banger ,air horn I take
the 12 gauge loaded up into my tent as for a powerful mounting light to go onto my barrel end aware of my surrounds as well,,people that don't take
any precautions there the ones that will eventually get mauled or killed from a bear..

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 04:56 AM
Just so you are aware that an electric fence does not make you invincible.
https://youtu.be/_gMC11x1luA

Yes your correct but having an electric fence up and in place makes a person feel lot saffer

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 05:27 AM
This video is the one reason I took time to put up the electric fence this year ,,this video was taken this year....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQwBmHmFxc

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 05:31 AM
Here are a few of the tools I have to keep safer when back in no mans land,,the older spot device on the right I no longer use the one on the left I have had now for two
years and yes there has been issues with the text message one but spot is always putting out downloads to fix the bugs within this new spot device..

THe clip on light that you see in this picture goes onto the end of my 870 remington 12 gauge it has a feature red dot that when you dial in the red light to the beed at the
end of your barrel its dead on you can have the light and the dot on at the same time or just the light,,the name brand is (NcSTAR)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/01514.JPG..http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/002_2_10.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/001136.JPG..http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1353.JPG

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 05:52 AM
The marks from a grizzly bear took my wt buck off the meat pole eat the entire deer that night..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2239.jpg..http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3181.JPG

hunter1947
12-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Here is my controller.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/001_2_11.JPG

Busterpayton54
12-14-2019, 03:02 PM
That fence is only as good as it’s circuit is intact. A bear walking into it unknowingly might just as likely lunge right through it was it is to lunge backwards.

id look into an alarm that will sound off when the circuit is broken or when there’s a voltage drop as would occur when shorting you’re ground through an animal.

id think long dry hair would be one hell of an insulator anyways. Short of touching the fence with pads, nose, lips, gums and tongue I wouldn’t imagine it do much.

you might want to test that out yourself rather than a false sense of security. Hold onto a handful of dry hair and touch the fence.

I know through testing automotive ignitions in the 65,000 volt range it’ll give you one hell of a zap to the flesh but you can hold a dry rag while the other end touches the terminal and not feel a thing. The spark won’t even recognize it as a ground source, therefore won’t even jump to it. Do it with a damp rag and be prepared to soil oneself.

Norwestalta
12-14-2019, 07:55 PM
If I was gonna use one for camp I'd run 2 wires. A hot and ground wire. Run the hot in the middle.

SemperAurum
12-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Is that sow wearing a collar? I wonder if she has been to Yahk and back.

Wayne, For the amount of time you spend alone outdoors you should get yourself a good woods dog or two. Great company and good early detection system. Good trackers also. My little girl has been in on 6 or more bear kills and now she spends her awake time sniffng, listening for, and waiting to see a bear. She is obsessed with them. Tons of fun! Lots of love. Great bear deterrent.

If you want a real campsite bear champ get a Rhodesian Ridgeback. No special training required. Problem is the damn things need a sweater when it gets cold.

hunter1947
12-15-2019, 05:24 AM
If I was gonna use one for camp I'd run 2 wires. A hot and ground wire. Run the hot in the middle.

I got all 3 hot wires twined together all 3 hot wires have the same voltage in then testing them tells me all are the same voltage..

hunter1947
12-15-2019, 05:33 AM
That fence is only as good as it’s circuit is intact. A bear walking into it unknowingly might just as likely lunge right through it was it is to lunge backwards.

id look into an alarm that will sound off when the circuit is broken or when there’s a voltage drop as would occur when shorting you’re ground through an animal.

id think long dry hair would be one hell of an insulator anyways. Short of touching the fence with pads, nose, lips, gums and tongue I wouldn’t imagine it do much.

you might want to test that out yourself rather than a false sense of security. Hold onto a handful of dry hair and touch the fence.

I know through testing automotive ignitions in the 65,000 volt range it’ll give you one hell of a zap to the flesh but you can hold a dry rag while the other end touches the terminal and not feel a thing. The spark won’t even recognize it as a ground source, therefore won’t even jump to it. Do it with a damp rag and be prepared to soil oneself.

I know through testing automotive ignitions in the 65,000 volt range it’ll give you one hell of a zap to the flesh but you can hold a dry rag while the other end touches the terminal and not feel a thing. The spark won’t even recognize it as a ground source, therefore won’t even jump to it. Do it with a damp rag and be prepared to soil oneself

Norwestalta
12-15-2019, 07:16 AM
I got all 3 hot wires twined together all 3 hot wires have the same voltage in then testing them tells me all are the same voltage..

I'd make one of them a ground. If the dirt is dry around your perimeter it won't do much.

hunter1947
12-15-2019, 03:28 PM
I'd make one of them a ground. If the dirt is dry around your perimeter it won't do much.

its sand and wet the ground works good i touched the wire undoing the fence and got a shock it put me on my ass..:(:(..

Norwestalta
12-15-2019, 07:47 PM
its sand and wet the ground works good i touched the wire undoing the fence and got a shock it put me on my ass..:(:(..

Lol. Wet ground it'll give you a good that's for sure. Try your middle wire as ground then grab a hold of both. My fencer will make a guy cry like a little girl especially when the gate is tight and you got to put your shoulder into it. I've since deemed that women's work. Lol