PDA

View Full Version : Youth CORE course

bcsteve
12-03-2019, 08:18 AM
My oldest daughter is turning 10 this year and I’d like for her complete her CORE course. It would be pretty intimidating for her to sit in class with a bunch of adults. Does anybody know of a place in the LMD who offers youth specific CORE classes? Could dad sit next to her in class and do the course “together” but let her do the test by herself?

dodge456
12-03-2019, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if you could sit in the course with her but I highly recommend Brian Cummings for your daughter's training. My wife and 10 year old daughter did their's this summer thru him, they couldn't say enough good things about his training techniques and his interaction with the kids as there were a few in the class. He made it fun and interesting thru the whole thing. Sorry I can't help with a "youth specific" course, just my 2cents on the matter

BriarPatch
12-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Why not just buy the core manual and work with her through it at home and then challenge the exam with an approved examiner. My daughter is 8 and she is already reading the manual and then relating to it when we are out so I know that she understands the content and how it works in the field.

bcsteve
12-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Why not just buy the core manual and work with her through it at home and then challenge the exam with an approved examiner. My daughter is 8 and she is already reading the manual and then relating to it when we are out so I know that she understands the content and how it works in the field.
That’s an option as well, I bought the manual to start reading to her. I also think there’s some value to have a sit down class.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2019, 10:11 AM
I was able to sit in with my daughter’s class but would double check with the instructor.

The instructor was a bit of a BSer and it was neat to hear my daughter lean over to me and call him on everything that was not accurate:smile:

I picked up the CORE book for her ahead of time. Before she started to study, she went straight to the chapter tests and pretty much aced them all. Kids can be absolute sponges for info that interests them.

Practice firearm handling as much as possible ahead of time.

SSS

skibum
12-03-2019, 10:24 AM
I sat in with my boy - read him some of the questions when needed.

I think for some guys it is required that you sit in with younger kids

mike31154
12-03-2019, 10:52 AM
I took the online CORE course. Did the same for my Boater Certificate. You can work at your own pace, no need to leave home. Following completion with course certificate in hand, I found a local examiner to write the exam. I didn't need to do the firearms exam as I had previously taken a firearms safety course to obtain my PAL.

https://www.huntercourse.com/canada/britishcolumbia/

huntermike
12-03-2019, 12:14 PM
My kids went K&K firearm training age 11 and 14 with Mom.

17655 57 Ave, Surrey, BC V3S 1H1

there was other kids there too.

dmaxtech
12-03-2019, 01:23 PM
My son did the online hunter course with 8 friends and then had a local examiner come in to do the gun safety portion and core testing. Everyone passed and had a great time.

Squamch
12-03-2019, 04:45 PM

That's how I did mine and a PAL and RPAL when I was 12. Couldn't hand in the PAL paperwork for a few years, but I had it done.

pinofire
12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
As said above K&K is really good at teaching the kids and adults too

bcsteve
12-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Good to hear that sitting with her during the course might be a possibility, I’m sure she would prefer that.

ncurrie
12-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Good to hear that sitting with her during the course might be a possibility, I’m sure she would prefer that.

I always allow parents come in and sit with the kids, but usually by the next day they are ok to come with out the parents. All depends on the kids.

sarg
12-04-2019, 11:30 AM
That's how I did mine and a PAL and RPAL when I was 12. Couldn't hand in the PAL paperwork for a few years, but I had it done.

I'm not sure if you could sit in the course with her but I highly recommend Brian Cummings for your daughter's training. My wife and 10 year old daughter did their's this summer thru him, they couldn't say enough good things about his training techniques and his interaction with the kids as there were a few in the class. He made it fun and interesting thru the whole thing. Sorry I can't help with a "youth specific" course, just my 2cents on the matter
Yes Brian will let you sit in with the kids, I sent my nephew in this summer for his core with Brian and it was pretty much all kids in there Saturday taking there core as well, highly recommend Brian runs the course out of the community centre in yarrow