PDA

View Full Version : 7-20A antlerless elk - HELP NEEDED

savage91
12-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Hello all, I am currently up around Chetwynd - Dawson Creek area.
Our group was lucky enough to draw 4 antlerless elk authorizations. It would seem it is quite difficult to get permission from landowners to hunt their property.. it seems as though the word ‘elk’ itself is a dirty word. No one wants anything to do with it and often claim there are no elk around..
Is there anyone who could point us in the right direction? Or perhaps someone may know of a rancher or 2 that needs an elk problem addressed?
We’ve tried the small amount of crown land around, but it’s either quite busy or has limited openings, etc..

Any advice or direction would be incredibly appreciated!

Also, side note.. would elk be receptive to calls this late in the season? Calf mew, etc????

KodiakHntr
12-02-2019, 10:04 PM
You haven’t got the weather on your side.... Not enough snow or cold to concentrate the elk yet, and natural food sources are everywhere for them. Hasn’t been much for elk causing farm issues yet.

Calls probably won’t have elk running up
to you, but they might cover your movements while you are sneaking around.

Haven’t seen much for elk yet with anything resembling consistency, saw a medium herd this morning while poking around with a cow permit in my back yard, but likely won’t see them again until Thursday or Friday. They are really mobile still.

Good luck though.

moosinaround
12-02-2019, 11:07 PM
South facing slopes along any of the rivers. Not enough snow, and cold to push them into the traditional wintering grounds. They will be in the thick, coming out to feed at night. Try along the kitskatinaw, North sides of the moberly, Peace, and East Pine rivers, Lone praire, and Farrel creek. The heritage hwy towards tumbler. I've had that tag a time or 2, and it is a lot of driving and glassing at first and last light. Looking for tracks across fields, listening to the 2 way radio, and some times knocking on doors. Moosin

cameron0518
12-02-2019, 11:22 PM
How are you hunting them? There was lots of time to properly prepare for this hunt. Hopefully you fill your tags. Calling won't do a thing more than likely and no snow won't help. Need to get off of the roads and look for sign.

Norwestalta
12-03-2019, 05:37 AM
Go a little farther east. Try around tomslake Grundy area. South down the heritage hwy and pick any road that goes east before the Kelly lake road.

Norwestalta
12-03-2019, 05:57 AM
Forgot to add that you'll more than likely have difficulty with permission due to crop in the field and wet conditions under the snow.

huntingfamily
12-03-2019, 09:39 AM
I'd suggest trying later when the weather is more favourable for success. The colder and more snow there is the better chance for success.

S.W.A.T.
12-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Go north, past rolla. Should get permission in advance

canadiancon
12-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Good luck getting permission while you are hunting, most farmers don’t want anything to do with hunters, and after hunting up there for the last 6 years and building relationships with a few land owners I can see why. We got our permission to hunt during the summer, not during hunting season.

savage91
12-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice!
We had made prior plans to hunt 1000ac in Lone Prairie, but turns out the elk were few and far between this time of year up there.
Fortunately we recently were able to make a contact with some awesome people in Dawson.. had some cows around last week getting into the hay.. will have to see how the rest of the week pans out.

S.W.A.T.
12-04-2019, 09:04 PM
River valley in the evening and tree crossing in the morning.