PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Ohwildwon
11-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Heading over to the South Gulf Islands in a few days.

Any tips, do's and don'ts hunting with buckshot?

50 yards max?

Aim at the head or boiler?

Whats your experience?

Will be using flight control with full choke.

THX!

Pauly
11-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Heading over to the South Gulf Islands in a few days.

Any tips, do's and don'ts hunting with buckshot?

50 yards max?

Aim at the head or boiler?

Whats your experience?

Will be using flight control with full choke.

THX!did you pattern your shot? That’s the first thing you need to do before deciding on shot placement. Definitely keep it under 50 yards. Buck shot can mess a deer up

Ohwildwon
11-27-2019, 08:59 PM
did you pattern your shot? That’s the first thing you need to do before deciding on shot placement. Definitely keep it under 50 yards. Buck shot can mess a deer up

Yes I have.

From what little I've found on You tube, need to move in quick to finish the deal.

Pauly
11-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Yes I have.

From what little I've found on You tube, need to move in quick to finish the deal.
That’s good then. Why buck shot and not slugs, out of curiosity. Slugs are far more lethal and penetrate Bush very well. I messed up a deer bad with buck shot many years ago it did the trick that’s for sure.

Hugh Mann
11-27-2019, 09:25 PM
I second the comment of buck shot will ruin a deers day right fast in a hurry. Couple years ago I watched a guy shoot a buck from fairly close range >30m with no Choke from a 28" barrel with 3" 00 buck. Down and ready for a coup de grace. Later on, we found out only one pellet hit the deer straight through the heart. Mind you that was a pretty small deer, a wee 2 point, but I think with a Choke you'll be golden so long as you're patterned and can lead a running deer if necessary.

Gateholio
11-27-2019, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't want to shoot at 50 yards with buckshot unless I had patterned it at that distance and it the pattern was good.

I've used buckshot on several bears with varying degrees of success. When up close, it's really effective, but as the pattern spreads it gets much less so.

Ohwildwon
11-28-2019, 12:20 AM
That’s good then. Why buck shot and not slugs, out of curiosity. Slugs are far more lethal and penetrate Bush very well. I messed up a deer bad with buck shot many years ago it did the trick that’s for sure.

Could be wrong, but quite sure not allowed, (slugs) on S G Islands?

Ohwildwon
11-28-2019, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't want to shoot at 50 yards with buckshot unless I had patterned it at that distance and it the pattern was good.

I've used buckshot on several bears with varying degrees of success. When up close, it's really effective, but as the pattern spreads it gets much less so.

Thx Gate.

Thinking 75-100 ft max to start.

walks with deer
11-28-2019, 03:12 AM
yes i would think what ever distance your pattern expands past 6-8 inches..
i use buckshot on the farm when i go outside in the dark. but my defense attitude is much different thsn my offence attitude.

The Hermit
11-28-2019, 04:50 AM
I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.

E.B.
11-28-2019, 07:35 AM
The flight control will pattern well out to 50 no problem. Only problem is your sighting device. A front bead is not that consistent. I have iron sights on my 12 gauge and that keeps you aiming the same way every time. I have only an improved cylinder and it is good to 50 yrds. Make sure the pattern goes where you are aiming first of all. my other defender shotgun shoots regular ammo straight but shoots the flight control high and left . Practice to be sure .

E.B.
11-28-2019, 07:37 AM
I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.
Do you have sights on your shotgun or just a bead ? With sights and flight control ammo you will be able to shoot much farther.

Ovis17
11-28-2019, 07:40 AM
I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.This is very good advice.

HD95
11-28-2019, 08:30 AM
I've killed many with buckshot,,30-35 yards and move in quick

ratherbefishin
11-28-2019, 08:32 AM
I’ve taken deer with buckshot but would not exceed 30 yards . It might work beyond that range but it’s too big a risk of losing an animal. I knew an old guy on Saltspring who refused to let anybody hunt on his farm with buckshot,legal requirement or not,he had found too many unrecovered dead deer.He used an old 25-35 and was deadly accurate.But show up with a 30/30, only shoot two points or better, make a clean one shot kill ,do a good job dressing it and you were welcome back...his land,his rules.
Dixie had a Tri Ball load that was very effective,but whether that is legal in BC or not is not is not in own to me

Sharpish
11-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Pattern the gun and practice at many different ranges. Different types of flight control pattern differently, different barrels, different guns and chokes pattern differently.

I’ve found 5 yards can mean the difference between 7 hits and 2. 30 yards you’re golden, 35/40/45 you start yo really push it.

Boiler room or where the head meets the neck.

Sharpish
11-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Also be mindful of the regs AND municipal bylaws. Some of those islands are archery only, some are no hunting at all. Some are buckshot.

ratherbefishin
11-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Not a lot of public land to hunt on,you got to know somebody or get permission .
Islanders tend to be funny about people they find trespassing...

BCJaeger
11-28-2019, 02:42 PM
I have taken 5 deer using buck shot (12ga, 3" 00, Flight Control). My recommendations are:
- Use magnum loads. Those 3 additional pellets can make a difference.
- I patterned up to 40 yards. Everything beyond that is way too risky for me to just wound the deer. I crossed paths with a big buck once. I could close the distance to about 45 yards. Couldn't get closer so I didn't take the shot and passed up. For my peace of mind I patterned the exact same distance at the shooting range later just to confirm I did the right thing. 5 yards can make a difference between a safe kill and just wounded.
- Flight Control is not meant to be shot using full choke. You should consider cylinder or improved. Please do patterning using different chokes!

1/2 slam
11-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Have a look at Winchester "Defender" Ammunition. It is a 1 oz slug AND 3 buckshot pellets. I'm not sure if it's legal as I haven't read the regulations in a while.

Sharpish
11-28-2019, 03:15 PM
Have a look at Winchester "Defender" Ammunition. It is a 1 oz slug AND 3 buckshot pellets. I'm not sure if it's legal as I haven't read the regulations in a while.

It's not ....

multiple projectile/shotgun means 8 or more roughly spherical projectiles of #1 buck or larger

Sharpish
11-28-2019, 03:17 PM
If someone started producing a 3/4 oz ball bearing shaped slug wrapped in a flight-stabilizing tail wad with 7 pellets of #1 buck behind it, I'm all in

Firstblood
11-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Buckshot is tricky, as has been mentioned, pattern the gun, not with one or two shots but a box at least. The flight control wad doesnt need a full choke, the extra restriction actually has a negative effect on the wad by making the wad separate earlier so Id stick with IC. Last deer I shot was a spike while I was duck hunting, 30 yds, IC choke, pellets from nose to tail, would be hard pressed to use buck shot ever again.

ratherbefishin
12-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Not a problem on really close shots but without a rangefinder to give you an accurate distance, using buckshot is problematic,as said 5 yards can make the diference between a wounded deer that dies next week or putting one right down.Hunting from a stand you can pre range your shots but still hunting you don’t get much chance