PDA

View Full Version : Harvested a decent Whitetail this past weekend.

Rieber
11-25-2019, 12:07 PM
This guy gave me the slip 2 weekends ago so buddy and I went out again to the same spot since the deer sign there is so magnificent. Amazing amount of rubs and scrapes and trails and tracks and loads of scat drops everywhere, yet this weekend we didn't see many deer - I'm figuring they were just a little further off than we ventured to.

So fairly early Saturday morning we crossed the river and headed into the area that I've been keeping secret for over thirty years now - some big boys in there and have scored one or two every year I've gone into there.

Couple weeks ago deer were everywhere, signs everywhere but only the does were hanging around long enough to observe. It was clear that the bucks weren't chasing the girls yet. I did catch the glimpse of one in the trees and with the time consumed verifying antlers, I was too slow on the draw and a good 5-point slipped away from me through the trees. I thought I could get a poke at him as he exited the trees and I anticipated where he would come out but I anticipated incorrectly and he popped out and crossed the trail 20 feet over and I didn't get the shot. I followed him in the direction he went only to see his back end slip away into dense brush again. He wasn't spooked and I didn't push him but funny to observe him crouching and sneaking away. First time I witnessed this.

We decided to give the spot a bit of a rest the following weekend and decided to return on the 23rd. This was the day I shot my last one there last year. So we returned and only saw one doe upon approaching the area. Watched her and the surroundings for a while but no Mr's lurking about - weird.
We get our waders on and cross the river to the promise land. Buddy and I go in different directions, he would set up near where I saw the one two weekends prior and I would take a wide loop and try stalk or drive deer toward him and up their escape trail. Dang it - 20 minutes later and no sighting of deer. We meet up and make a plan and head to "my" happy place in the woods except I would take my normal route and Buddy chose to take a parallel trail deeper in the woods. The cleanest and quietest route to get there is about 3-kms away from the trucks. This is the limit of my search for deer - I just won't go anymore than that and only in this area because it's such a nice walk. As I go through the little wood spot and soft depression, I slowly sneak up because I've seen a lot of deer in this area. I don't see anything right away but head directly to my lucky log that I've scored from just sitting and waiting with just my shoulders and head above the grass.

Within seconds I notice movement - what is it coyote? I stretch my neck a little for a better look and this buck is heading right to me. The sucker was using the depression in the field for cover but I was at the right place at the right time and I caught him in the open. It's a strong trail that crosses the field there I've shot 4 bucks off that log over the years. So up comes the rifle, I'm on him and bang, he's boogying into hyper drive, what - did I miss - can't be. I rapidly fire a second, and I hear the smack but he's headed for the dreaded thorn thickets - oh, hell no. Jack another shell and he hits the dirt. He dies a mere 6 steps from where last year's buck died - on the same date and time. Crazy. All three shots were good, the first one would have killed him but man, this guy didn't want to give up too easy.

My buddy hears these three shots and he's coming to help me but he can't find me - he's yelling and I'm yelling back but he can't hear me. Finally I put on my red toque and here he comes. We start to drag and this is a heavy buck. With both of us dragging, we go ten steps then have to stop. finally after 3km of this and 3-1/2 hours we get to the river and my buddy seems worried. I assure him they float easy and this is the easiest part of the recovery - and it was. But then we have to hoist him up a 6' river bank - that wasn't easy but we did it actually easier than I though. My buddy is 9 years my senior but he is one strong dude.

We're tired and there is another steep bank to get up to a road. I say screw it - let's go get the truck. I unhook my trailer and drive to the edge of the bank, we winch the deer to the road and then I slowly back out dragging the remaining 300 yards to the trailer. Brought the deer into the trailer and he spent the night in there with me. Kind of a creepy feeling but after a few beers in me, sleep came quick. Things got a little exciting when I had to get up to take a leak and my leg touched his antlers - I had forgotten about him and now he was out to get me. lol.

He's a decent buck and my 3rd largest from this spot. Either this one was the heaviest or I'm just getting weaker as time moves on. He seemed a little longer to me than usual. Even with the head, legs and hide removed, my kid and I had a heck of a time hanging him in the garage last night. I'll start taking him apart and de-boning him tonight after supper - the buck - not my kid.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_5648.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_5654.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_5657.JPG

fuzzybiscuit
11-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Great buck and write-up! Congrats and thanks for posting!

Wild one
11-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Nothing wrong with that one

I don’t know about sleeping with your buck though lol

twoSevenO
11-25-2019, 01:11 PM
That's a fantastic buck. Huge congrats!!!

I'd never drag an animal that far. That just seems so much more exhausting than carrying on one your back, let alone 1/2 if a buddy is near.

Awesome and congrats!

BCHunterFSJ
11-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Very decent indeed!

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Yeah, wenn you wrote "I put him in the trailer and went to bed", that is NOT the image that came to mind. That IS a wee bit creepy, but at least you didn't roll over for a hug and lost an eye...

Congrats...that's awesome!Curious about the whole trailer setup....

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Wait... you DRAGGED him for THREE k?

wideopenthrottle
11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
great job on that bad boy...lots of mass there...sure is nice to have a spot that produces consistently...I also drag em

warnniklz
11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
"decent"... Frig off! That thing is awesome!

Timbow
11-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Congratulations on a beauty of a buck and a great story. Sounds like you need a game cart for those long hauls. I bought one after I dragged a buck over a kilometre. Crazy carpet works great too if there is snow cover.

Rieber
11-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Wait... you DRAGGED him for THREE k?

Yes we dragged him. Wore patches of hairs off on one side. I could and would have crossed back for my cart if I was by myself. I still don’t know how we convinced ourselves that dragging was a good idea. Well there was frost in the shades and good grass, not too many dead falls and pretty level ground.

Now I owe my buddy a big, game recovery and since he’s got an open tag, we’re talking about going back to get his now. Gosh I hope he gets one on the road going in. lol

11-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Fantastic share Rieber.
Sounds like a terrific experience.
Thanks for posting.
Great buck man ! Congrats.

Arctic Lake
11-25-2019, 01:46 PM
That’s a great history you have with that spot . Good story and what a nice buck !
However I think you could consider a new online name “ Sleeps with Deer “ LOL
Arctic Lake

Rieber
11-25-2019, 01:51 PM
I have that 4 wheel super game cart from Cabelas but it’s 40 pounds or so and I wasn’t sure how it well it would cross the river with me. I’m going to find next time - dragging a big one that for really sucks. Last year my kid carried the small 4-point out from the same spot by wearing the field dressed buck like a back pack. 30 years ago I would have tried to figure out how I would be able to stand up with this one on my back. Not a chance of doing that type of packing ever again.

Rieber
11-25-2019, 01:56 PM
My wife freaked out a little when I showed her that picture. We’ve all slept near our groceries when we’ve been out camping. This is kind of the same. ��
Might be a little stinky with a bear or rutting mulie but this guy didn’t stink more than me so it was fine.

Plus it was below zero overnight so there was nothing to stink about.

BimmerBob
11-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Awesome buck and story, "Sleeps with Deer" is a fine idea for a nick-name, you have entered the hunting halls of fame with that, thanks for sharing!

weatherby_man
11-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Awesome, "Sleeps with Deer" fits perfectly.....

Rieber
11-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Hey c'mon, I only sleep with my Dear.

It wasn't personal, this buck was merely a one-night thing. But I do hope there will continue to be other deer to share my trailer with. :twisted:

Oh dang, I should have checked for ticks.

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Hey c'mon, I only sleep with my Dear.

It wasn't personal, this buck was merely a one-night thing. But I do hope there will continue to be other deer to share my trailer with. :twisted:

Oh dang, I should have checked for ticks.

Hmmmmm a buck(!) huh? Oh well it's 2019 and what happens in the woods....

180grainer
11-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Really nice buck.

weatherby_man
11-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Really nice buck.

Hahahaha,,,perfect...

dougan
11-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Beauty WT buck congratulations.

srupp
11-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm very impressive indeed..thank you for wonderful write up..and photo..
well done .
Cheers
Srupp

Jack Russell
11-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Fantastic buck - nice job! Plastic skimmers are perfect for dragging, even without snow!

Muliechaser
11-25-2019, 05:03 PM
great whitetail! Great writeup !!! Awesome . Good for you! Some nice mass and character to him . Some good eats . Enjoy!

250 sav
11-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Nice buck, "sleeps with deer"

hawk-i
11-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Awesome deer....congrats!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-25-2019, 05:37 PM
NICE ! Good work

338win mag
11-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Thats a beautiful Whitetail, way to go Rieber!

nature girl
11-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Now that is pretty sweet. Nice deer for sure.

albravo2
11-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Awesome buck. Even more awesome pillow on your cot!

lovemywinchester
11-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Beauty deer. I would have worried about the ticks migrating as the body cooled. I'm itching now thinking about it.

RICKADY
11-25-2019, 07:03 PM
What happens in the trailer stays in the trailer.
That's a Beauty.
Great hunt story, well done,
Congrats

Rieber
11-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Beauty deer. I would have worried about the ticks migrating as the body cooled. I'm itching now thinking about it.

Aughh - why did you have to say that? Dang, my skin is crawling now. Whoo hooo, itchy scratchy.

Ferenc
11-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Very nice Whitey ..... nice pillow too !!!

Rieber
11-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Awesome buck. Even more awesome pillow on your cot!

Yes, that's a mother-in-law creation from the 60's. I used to use it as a kneeling pad working in the garage but after resting my head on a rolled up jacket because I kept forgetting to take a pillow. One day I saw it in the garage and threw it in - I guess it now lives in my trailer. And it works well enough. I think it's safe to believe that it will never get stolen.

Pioneerman
11-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Very nice ,Congrats !! Great write up also, thanks for sharing

Rieber
11-25-2019, 08:34 PM
I tell you I would have been totally overwhelmed with getting this guy out if it wasn't for my buddy there to help. I won't venture so far next time I go there myself unless I just commit to exploration only. I need to find another river crossing location but only found this one safe location to cross. Summer scouting trips will consist of skinny water search because I know the bucks will still be on the other side.

butthead
11-25-2019, 08:43 PM
YIKES:p:idea::!:

jimzuk
11-25-2019, 09:06 PM
All I can say is WOW. Fantastic buck and a great story

HarryToolips
11-25-2019, 09:07 PM
That is a great buck congrats!

Citori54
11-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Very nice...well done!!!!

walks with deer
11-25-2019, 10:09 PM
great deer clearly earned.
280 sav just csuse i did it once lol.

very typicall all should note once you shoot a whitetail once in one spot you should be able to repeat with peserverance for a solid 10 years.

Pauly
11-25-2019, 11:20 PM
great deer clearly earned.
280 sav just csuse i did it once lol.

very typicall all should note once you shoot a whitetail once in one spot you should be able to repeat with peserverance for a solid 10 years.
Good going that’s a beautiful buck.

Shikari300WSM
11-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Cranker. Wide and thick. Cant go wrong!! Lol. Congrats buddy

Mark-R
11-26-2019, 12:31 AM
for some reason I have vague thoughts of Luke and the tonton...
Seriously congrats on an awesome buck!

tadpole
11-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Yah, I was very impressed with Rieber harvest, but it was a real drag to bring him to the river:). Nothing but a good exercise with purpose in mind. And the place is to die for, specially for this buck.lol.

Rieber
11-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Yah, I was very impressed with Rieber harvest, but it was a real drag to bring him to the river:). Nothing but a good exercise with purpose in mind. And the place is to die for, specially for this buck.lol.

Lol - many a time Tad was dragging both me and the deer at the same time. Tadeo should be a fitness trainer, a few more recoveries like this and my pork belly is going to be trimmed off. This is really closer to the truth than you might think. With Tad's advice and encouragement, I have actually shed 105 pounds of body fat this past year. If we had a few more months of November condition hunting, I would probably be able to render another 30-lbs of my lard and actually be in decent enough condition for an Elk hunt and could even become and asset instead of a hindrance. Thank you Tad on many levels. ;)

tadpole
11-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Lol - many a time Tad was dragging both me and the deer at the same time. Tadeo should be a fitness trainer, a few more recoveries like this and my pork belly is going to be trimmed off. This is really closer to the truth than you might think. With Tad's advice and encouragement, I have actually shed 105 pounds of body fat this past year. If we had a few more months of November condition hunting, I would probably be able to render another 30-lbs of my lard and actually be in decent enough condition for an Elk hunt and could even become and asset instead of a hindrance. Thank you Tad on many levels. ;)

Not my shot but it was nothing but the pleasure Pat. It will help for sure with our coming LEH elk hunt in January/ February.:cool:

jtred
11-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Congratulations on a successful hunt and a very nice mature white tail.

DeepJeep
11-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Congrats nicely done

IronNoggin
11-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Excellent Tale, great pictures and a superb whitetail!!
Congrats all round!!

Nearly fell off my chair seeing the buck "sleeping" next to your cot! Hilarious!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Well Done Gents!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

tigrr
11-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Just imagining all those ticks crawling from the cold deer to the warm sleeping bag. Just kidding!! I would leave that sleeping stuff in the freezer for a week in a garbage bag, bring it out shake it around and put it back in. They hibernate and come awake when it warms up.
Nice deer, great story. Helps having good friends for the adventure too!

Gateholio
11-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Great buck and awesome story!

But honestly, I gotta suggest learning the gutless method and being prepared with packs and game bags next time, your recovery would have been easier and faster.

But seriously, well done, what a great story, and pretty funny, too! :)

kitnayakwa77
11-27-2019, 10:25 AM
sweet buck!

Bugle M In
11-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Amazing how heavy deer can be to drag when it is just plain flat or even slight little up hills when there is "no snow".
Even with 2 people it is a slow go!
I even tried once by myself, alone, and could barely move the damn MD.

And yes, a 3 KM is a long way to pull one out...think I would have deboned...lol.

Anyways, good on you to have a spot to yourself (crossing rivers) to harvest such a great buck!
Sounds like you have a great spot and congrats, especially the hard work and great friend to help you get it out!

skibum
11-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Awesome deer and story -

I bought a pack frame and learnt how to break up a deer properly after a similar drag out.

Quality game bags have lasted me over five years.

john-brennan
11-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Nice very nice

vladthepes
12-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Very beautiful buck! Nice hunt! Have you ever though of de-boning the deer? I did that many time and it is much easier to take them out of the wood!

Getbent
12-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Great story and a fantastic buck for sure...like gate says I think I would do the gutless...well done man

shleebs
12-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Great looking deer, congrats!

mastercaster
12-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Great deer, Pat! Two words of advise, though,,,,,GUTLESS METHOD! Haha

I'll PM you a good video on it, plus a rib roll technique now that it's mandatory to take the rib meat out of the bush. Good thing you had Tadeo with you,,,,otherwise you still might have been in the bush. LOL

happyhunter
12-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Wow! Awesome buck well done!