PDA

View Full Version : Tent recommendation please

dapesche
11-23-2019, 10:41 AM
This past year I got into some really cools spots that ligistally would be a nightmare to pack out of if I was doing a day hunt. I think I'm at the point where I am ready to try a backpack style Hunt. I have buddies with camp stoves and such so I am thinking if I buy the tent and pack it then they can bring their other gear that I don't have.

My need would be a:
- comfortable tent for two or three guys.
- being used from Sept 1 to Oct 5th or so (not camping in snow)

I hunt in the west koots and would be setting up camp around 1800m.

So many options for tents out there it makes me dizzy so I am hoping your experiences can assist me. The teepee style intrigues me (sawtooth or seek outside) but at that point I go cross eyed with the options.

Appreciate any experiences that you can shape or recommendations that you may have.

I'm totally fine with buying used and I think that 700 range is about the most I'd want to spend and I am ok taking on some extra weight to save some cash.

Thanks everyone!

TARCHER
11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Having had a few different tents I currently have a hilliberg allack 2 that is of high quality and works very well. A guy on CGN currently has a kerlon 3 for sale. They are not cheap. Like Steve says buy once cry once

KodiakHntr
11-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Seek Outside Cimarron.

Huge space for the weight. Titanium stove compatible. Floorless (this is actually a way bigger plus than a person would think if you are sharing space with someone, and they aren’t as neat as you are and they are dragging mud into the shelter)

Bustercluck
11-23-2019, 11:05 AM
I’ve had pretty good luck with msr for tents and their warranty has been good too. I cracked one pole and they replaced it no questions asked. I have the hubba hubba two man and an elixir 3. The elixir is too heavy for mountain hunting, but the hubba is a good option. They seem to hold up to any rain and wind you can throw at them. I’ve had them out during a tornado warning in Alberta with no problems.

KodiakHntr
11-23-2019, 11:37 AM
The Hubba Hubba is a good tent, when my original one finally gave up on being weather proof I replaced it with their latest version. NX I believe.
That was the tent that pushed me to the Seek Outside stuff actually, after one of the most miserable nights I have spent outside. Driving rain and wind strong enough to collapse the tent right down against us and transfer the water coming in under the fly onto our sleeping bags.

Incidentally, I see on one of the gear clearing websites the Cimarron on sale today.

dapesche
11-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Thanks you all. I'll go have a look on cgn and search the tent. I am leaning towards a teepee based on the big space and simplicity.

Squamch
11-23-2019, 09:38 PM
I have an elixir 2 that I like.

I would like to try a teepee and stove though.

northernguy
11-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Love my Tipi and stove. Will never go back to cold tenting.

Bustercluck
11-23-2019, 10:37 PM
A question for u guys running stoves. I don’t know what a whole setup weighs for a 2-3 man tent with stove and pipe, but are you packing them into the alpine or is it more of a pack in on some flats and hunt from there? I just couldn’t imagine packing in the extra gear unless it was really cold.

sako79
11-23-2019, 10:56 PM
https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/

decker9
11-24-2019, 04:52 AM
Iv only got experience with one tent, the hubba hubba nx. It was a great tent until this season (season 4), the fly is no longer, no matter where I try tightening, is tears, and when it starts, it won’t stop without gentle fingers and T tape. I always store my gear properly, dried out after each hunt (or day if I can), can’t say I’m super impressed with only getting 4 seasons out of it, but in my mind, it’s a mid level tent, so I suppose it is what it is.

this season, I had added the gear shed to it for my backpack hunts, it was a great add on for not a lot of weight, if I was to go the hh nx route again, it would definitely have the gear shed.

Like all gear tho, if you plan on using it, a lot, but once and cry once, my next tent will be a hilliberg

KodiakHntr
11-24-2019, 06:42 AM
A question for u guys running stoves. I don’t know what a whole setup weighs for a 2-3 man tent with stove and pipe, but are you packing them into the alpine or is it more of a pack in on some flats and hunt from there? I just couldn’t imagine packing in the extra gear unless it was really cold.

It is kind of hard for anyone to really understand until they experience it, but a shelter and stove is truly a game changer. Being able to dry out your gear when way up high is a life changing experience. It allows you to hunt harder, and stay longer. As a sheep hunter putting on cold wet gear and cold wet boots is always a morale killer. Being snowed or rained or fogged in was, while part of the overall experience, something to be endured, not comfortable.

If there are two guys, adding 2 lbs (or less) for a stove really isn’t a deal breaker. Being able to pack a lighter sleeping bag or less clothing more than offsets the weight difference. If you are each carrying an ultralight tent so you have enough space to be able to get comfortable its really a moot point. If you are solo there are a ton of options out there that will get you into a shelter system that is almost as light (if not on par) with the lightest backpacking tents.

A quick perusal of SO site says that an ultralight Cimarron (a palace for 2 guys, and definitely not the lightest shelter they make) would be under 3 1/2 lbs for shelter and Cub stove.... which makes it on par with a Hubba Hubba NX. If a guy is ok with the footprint/space available in the Hubba then there are shelters out there that are stronger and shed wind and rain way better than the Hubba that would come in at under half the weight
of the Hubba.

dapesche
11-24-2019, 07:31 AM
https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/

Thanks for the link. Seems like they have a decent tipi option too.

dapesche
11-24-2019, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the floor less set up.
Seems like I'm seeing mice all over the mtn and the last thing I want them in is my sleeping area and around my food.now I've never tented at 1800m so does that thin out the rodent issue?

Also with floor less, I guess it's best to setup over dirt vs grass for moisture reasons?

I like the height and simplicity of the tipi/pyramid tents.

Seems like cimarron and sawtooth are the most popular. Found the lux system but it seems you get what you pay for (no rip stop).

Cordillera
11-24-2019, 07:56 AM
I had two different hot stove set ups. cimmaron and seek outside eight person. I sold them both and now have a hilleberg Nallo 3. I really struggled with the moisture in the tipis. Even with a floor (tyvek) there is a pile of moisture wicking up from the ground and it rains inside in the morning. Yes the warmth is nice to dry out gear and hang out in the evening. My concept now is to have a really dry tent, find timber, and build a big fire. The hilleberg at about five pounds is totally weather proof. I also had a campsite on a lake where I could not keep the tipi standing due to high winds and soft ground meant no place to hold stakes.

I think the tipis are a niche thing and can work but be prepared to manage moisture. That might mean a sleeping bag with water repellent shell or other ways to cope.

My dream was a tent like the Hilleberg with an extended vestibule and put in a titanium stove. Might weigh seven or eight pounds total but would cover off any nasty weather. So far I’ve not found that unicorn.

dapesche
11-24-2019, 08:44 AM
I had two different hot stove set ups. cimmaron and seek outside eight person. I sold them both and now have a hilleberg Nallo 3. I really struggled with the moisture in the tipis. Even with a floor (tyvek) there is a pile of moisture wicking up from the ground and it rains inside in the morning. Yes the warmth is nice to dry out gear and hang out in the evening. My concept now is to have a really dry tent, find timber, and build a big fire. The hilleberg at about five pounds is totally weather proof. I also had a campsite on a lake where I could not keep the tipi standing due to high winds and soft ground meant no place to hold stakes.

I think the tipis are a niche thing and can work but be prepared to manage moisture. That might mean a sleeping bag with water repellent shell or other ways to cope.

My dream was a tent like the Hilleberg with an extended vestibule and put in a titanium stove. Might weigh seven or eight pounds total but would cover off any nasty weather. So far I’ve not found that unicorn.

From all my digging it seems you should really go big with a floorless and part of that is due to the moisture. With the extra space then you can distance yourself from the tent.

I think I'd be using this in early season (Sept 1 to Sept 30) so maybe condensation won't be as bad.

I also have my old tent fly from the old family tent. Bad idea to lay a tent fly down on the ground?

KodiakHntr
11-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Condensation really comes down to how you pitch the shelter, good ventilation makes a huge difference.

You can also go with a nest or liner to make it the same as what a traditional double wall tent would be like.

albravo2
11-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Anything Hilleberg is worth the money IMO. Good sh*t ain't cheap and cheap sh*t ain't good.

dapesche
11-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Anything Hilleberg is worth the money IMO. Good sh*t ain't cheap and cheap sh*t ain't good.

I just can't bring myself to pay huge money for more of a standard tent. I'd rather save 500 dollars and pack an extra 2lbs...

Am I wrong though? What does hillrberg give you over an msr or similar tent?

sako79
11-24-2019, 12:54 PM
I just can't bring myself to pay huge money for more of a standard tent. I'd rather save 500 dollars and pack an extra 2lbs...

Me and my hunting partner have the seek outside Cimarron tent with the light outdoors titanium stove it works great but we do once in awhile have the condensation issues. Like mentioned earlier mysleeping bag does have the waterproof outside membrane to keep me dry

albravo2
11-24-2019, 01:16 PM

I don't completely disagree with your reasoning. I claim to adhere to the 'buy once cry once' but I've definitely been known to settle for middling quality on some things. Not boots, tents or sleeping bags though. Sh*t happens and if you are ever caught out and your situation gets desperate it is really nice to know your gear is bomber.

Hilleberg is the brand that everyone compares to when they say their tent is really good. Properly cared for it will be something you pass on later.

TARCHER
11-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Materials, design, crasftmanship for 3

Ride Red
11-24-2019, 02:44 PM
https://youtu.be/VwOzXuuiouo Seek Outside Cimmaron

https://youtu.be/myLJ_kXhWAg

dapesche
11-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Materials, design, crasftmanship for 3

Totally get it.

There are different scales of quality.
Do I want a Porsche, Toyota or KIA?

It feels like Hilleberg is Porsche. Whereas I'm looking for the Honda. There are some many tent manufacturers I think you have a better chance of finding value.

In regards to the tipi tents, there is less of them so trying to find the Honda is tough as pricing makes me feel like all of them are Porsches.

dapesche
11-24-2019, 03:29 PM
https://youtu.be/VwOzXuuiouo Seek Outside Cimmaron

https://youtu.be/myLJ_kXhWAg

I am leaning towards the redcliff option with a half fly.
Do you have the Cimarron?

For me I'd like the ability to house a couple vbuddies and then pack in cookware and other stuff.

HarryToolips
11-24-2019, 06:10 PM
I own the Marmot Nitro 2P....it is technically a 2 person tent, however, I wouldn't recommend sleeping you and someone else unless your really close with your hunting partner lol...that being said, for me it works great, and is lightweight, you use your hiking poles as the poles in the setup..

john.b
11-24-2019, 06:13 PM
I have a MSR Hubba Hubba, it’s a 2 man but more comfortable for 1. Super light weight though, I did the west coast trail with it this year and have nothing but good things to say

Ride Red
11-24-2019, 06:20 PM
I am leaning towards the redcliff option with a half fly.
Do you have the Cimarron?

For me I'd like the ability to house a couple vbuddies and then pack in cookware and other stuff.

A buddy has one and won’t use anything else.

Islandeer
11-24-2019, 06:50 PM
The Hubbas can work out, however they will fail in prolonged high wind. Rain, hail and snow!!
It happened to us this season

dapesche
11-24-2019, 10:01 PM
The Hubbas can work out, however they will fail in prolonged high wind. Rain, hail and snow!!
It happened to us this season

Crap. Sounds like a nasty hunting trip!

Cordillera
11-29-2019, 07:10 PM
You can also go with a nest or liner to make it the same as what a traditional double wall tent would be like.[/QUOTE]

Yes but.... seek outside nest is too short for big people. At 6’4 I had mesh in my face all night. But it addressed the condensation issues.

It’s all different trade offs.

dapesche
11-29-2019, 09:03 PM
I think I've decided on the redcliff with two half nests.
I'll be able to use it for myself and buddies without the nests depending on the hunt and then I can still camp with the fam.

Silver Stones
12-02-2019, 03:28 PM
I’ve got two that use depending on circumstances. My first mountain tent was a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 - twin vestibules, big-for-size floorspace (2 grown men aren’t stacked in this one), and stands up well to high wind. At nearly 7# for a 3.5 season tent though, was quite heavy. After using a friend’s Kifaru Megatarp (no stove) I wanted to try a tipi but couldn’t pull together the $$$ for a seek outside/kifaru hot tent. I wound up with the Black Diamond Megalight + carbon pole (about $350) which has worked well for a couple winter mountaineering trips plus a sheep hunt this summer. It’s finicky to pitch, but even when it’s not perfect it stood up fine to the rotor wash from a hovering A-Star longlining stuff out of a base camp.

For my sheep hunt we were concerned about bugs and condensation requiring us to pitch it high (4” gap between tent and ground) - my wife made a floor with Velcro noseeum mesh on the sides to solve this issue - with the floor I’m still under 3# and could sleep 4 in a pinch. Probably not as sturdy as a Seek outside, but at the price it works for us.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-02-2019, 07:52 PM
I think I've decided on the redcliff with two half nests.
I'll be able to use it for myself and buddies without the nests depending on the hunt and then I can still camp with the fam.

Keep us posted on the Redcliff . i would love to hear about it .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-02-2019, 08:12 PM
My Question is , For one Person what exactly do you need ? The Cimarron or the Red cliff ? the stove ? the options ? what works for one person ? what all do you really need and not need ? Do you need the door screens ? Do you need the nest ? Do you need the carbon pole ? They sure seem to be the The next best thing to a tent . ! got to love the stove !. i have a MSR Hubba Hubba and its been a great tent for spring or summer use. the fall tho , . i like my comfort !. i like having heat !. lol for a ground tarp i would just bring some poly or a tarp or some Tye veck

KodiakHntr
12-02-2019, 10:18 PM
My Question is , For one Person what exactly do you need ? The Cimarron or the Red cliff ? the stove ? the options ? what works for one person ? what all do you really need and not need ? Do you need the door screens ? Do you need the nest ? Do you need the carbon pole ? They sure seem to be the The next best thing to a tent . ! got to love the stove !. i have a MSR Hubba Hubba and its been a great tent for spring or summer use. the fall tho , . i like my comfort !. i like having heat !. lol for a ground tarp i would just bring some poly or a tarp or some Tye veck

I went with the Cimarron, but half ass regret not going with the Redliff, purely to be able to stand up. That said, space wise, the Cimarron is a LOT of space for 1 person. Could easily go smaller and still have more room than you can use.
The stove isn’t optional to me now that I’ve used the stove a fair bit. Door screens not really needed, just extra weight. If you find bugs that bad a therma cell will kill them off really fast. I bought the nest, and set it up exactly once, in my living room the first time I set up the Cimarron. The other 30 nights or so I spent in the tent this fall I didn’t use it. The carbon pole isn’t super necessary if you don’t mind cutting down a spruce to use as a pole. For a ground tarp I used a blue 4x6 for my sleep area.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-03-2019, 05:00 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but this comes at an opportune time for me as I am looking into stoves as well. I have never slept in one of those no floor tents, wall tents, etc with a stove, only ever owned backpacking tents. As I get older, the stove sounds nice, but what I am trying to understand is: What about CO2 and smoke? This is wood burning, how does one handle that? Those tents must be well ventilated, no? Doesn't that translate into heat loss/draft?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-03-2019, 07:23 AM
I went with the Cimarron, but half ass regret not going with the Redliff, purely to be able to stand up. That said, space wise, the Cimarron is a LOT of space for 1 person. Could easily go smaller and still have more room than you can use.
The stove isn’t optional to me now that I’ve used the stove a fair bit. Door screens not really needed, just extra weight. If you find bugs that bad a therma cell will kill them off really fast. I bought the nest, and set it up exactly once, in my living room the first time I set up the Cimarron. The other 30 nights or so I spent in the tent this fall I didn’t use it. The carbon pole isn’t super necessary if you don’t mind cutting down a spruce to use as a pole. For a ground tarp I used a blue 4x6 for my sleep area.

Thanks Man , Thats what i need to know, add it all up and it becomes a Big purchase , you using the large stove ? im 6'1 225 . You figure the Redcliff is a better choice ?

KodiakHntr
12-03-2019, 07:58 AM
I am using the large box stove yep. A buddy bought the Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove for his TiGoat 6.5, that works pretty well too.

As to smoke/CO2, the SO tents have a vent in the peak, that you can’t close. A good pitch to fight condensation build up has the tent an inch or more off of the ground.

Heat loss isn’t an issue, because the only time these are warm is when you have a Fire actively burning in the stove. They aren’t designed to slowly burn all night long (we are talking about a stove that is about the size of 4 loaves of bread after all) and when they are burning it is HOT in there. They draw like you wouldn’t believe so any smoke is sucked up the pipe like nobody’s business.

They aren’t going to keep you warm all night if you are using a summer weight +10* sleeping bag and its -25* outside. You still need to match your gear to the conditions. But what they will do is let you dry out wet gear, go to bed warm, and slip into a bag that is already heated up. And for me, the bigger plus is reaching an arm out of my bag, dropping a handful of twigs in that titanium box and then 5 minutes later being able to get up in a hot tent. Titanium holds very little heat and transfers almost all of it right through. 5 sticks the diameter of your thumb that are 10”’long will generate more heat than you can believe in that little enclosed box, and will heat a tent in minutes.

The other aspect to consider of all this, is that a there is a fair jag of tents out there that guys already own, that can be retrofitted with a stove jack pretty easily if you have a sewing machine. If you have a tent with a big vestibule you can put one in and buy (or build, there are lots of options for do it yourself Ti stoves out there) a titanium stove to test the concept. (Keeping in mind of course the need to be able to vent properly to avoid snuffing yourself with CO2).

WhiteTailAB
12-03-2019, 08:03 AM
I have a redcliff, haven't used it yet as the guy I was gonna hunt with bailed on me. I haven't bought a stove but maybe next year. FYI Seek Outside has factory blem sales ans these tents go on sale for nice prices so that's when I bought my tent. I got bug screens in mine but no nest.

KodiakHntr
12-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Rather Be, thats where I was coming from too as a backpack sheep hunter. As I transitioned into horse packing the wall tent looked pretty feasible, but we still backpack from where we leave the horses. A lightweight tent that can be heated was the natural choice for me.

If anyone has any other questions about this stuff feel
free to pm and we can talk on the phone, I asked some questions on AO about stoves and had a couple of conversations with a guy that steered me from a cylinder stove that I thought I wanted, into a box stove that was a little more money but actually fit my wants better.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-03-2019, 02:26 PM
love to see and hear more of peoples seek outdoor set ups and reviews every bit of info helps .

dapesche
12-03-2019, 03:15 PM
I'll definitely follow-up in a years time or so.

- I bought the redcliff with two doors and no screens. Deep down I think I would have preferred the one door with screen by the timing was off due to the sales.
- I also bought the cimarron nest so that I can still camp with my family in the redcliff but you do lose some space. The half nest was tempting, but if I am camping with the boys we'll be going floorless and with my family I know my wife will prefer that were are all in the same nest.
- I bought two half liners that I will bring hunting as my friends who also have a kifaru tipi talk about the condensation issue. They insisted on the liners and I will likely set up the tent so it is tight to the ground which makes the condensation worse.
- there was a really good sale on a North face 4 person tent footprint that weights next to nothing. the dimensions are close to the rectangular dimension of the redcliff so if it is wet we'll have a clean spot inside the tent.
- I went with the carbon pole as I want my trekking poles to pack animals out with and a branch has too many little nubbin's just waiting to tear a hole in something.
I think with this I have a great family tent as well as a perfect tent to hunt with friends out of. If I hunted solo, the cimarron would have been a castle and I most likely would've just gone with a simple tent. Cimarron was tempting for the cost savings, but I want comfort if there are two/three of us, and the Redcliff will give me that.

I'm excited to get further away from the roads next year and hunt hard with the buds.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-03-2019, 06:42 PM
sounds like condensation is a issue you are always going to have some with any tent weather pending . im sure its not something im going to cry over . better air flow solutions such as you mentioned , dont insulate with snow all the way around . thats funny because i would have done that first thing . pile snow up all around to keep heat in . lol . i would probly get the carbon pole . just so you have it and dont have to deal with finding the right tree , could get annoying . lol.

KodiakHntr
12-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Learning how to pitch them properly is probably the biggest hurdle. Good ventilation makes a huge difference with condensation, same as any tent.