PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience with r.a.p.p.

GEF
11-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Just curious with your experiences .
I have had two not so good .
1 was a poached deer the day before youth season up in Princeton .Found it propped on branches to cool but not gutted.Heart shot thru and thru.So they were coming back for it
Phoned it in and told them about it. Got a call and visited at my home two weeks after the fact.

The other was a camp full of adults one child Bow youth season .Three deer hanging all rifle shot .Again no one came .

Keta1969
11-21-2019, 12:35 PM
I've only used them once here on the Island. They took the info and about 2 weeks later they gave me a call and let me know the results.

RICKADY
11-21-2019, 01:06 PM
3 years back found three, yes 3 poached deer, 1 nice big Doe and probably her two offspring, all that was left was head's, hide and bones, was looking for a buck in this area as we had seen many deer there before, probably even these three. My son and I were totally disgusted, we've always followed the rules while fishing, hunting etc. IT ruined our day!
Got home and reported right away, took my info, think she even laughed at me after asking who I thought might have done this.
Offered to pinpoint on a map or even take them there, nope was the answer. WTF
Never heard back from them.

CranePete
11-21-2019, 01:08 PM
I reported a cow moose kill near Eagan Lake years back. Call was flagged to the Lillooet office, being their area(who knew?). Received a call from the C.O. next morning from the kill site on sat-fone. The system worked in this instance.

RyoTHC
11-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Useless.

witnessed someone poach a 4 point bull elk out of zone 3, called it in and on my way out saw a CO parked.. stopped and told him what I saw, and was told he knows he already got a call and that it was a native... tried to tell him it was two Asian gentlemen and he refused to believe it was a different scenario and went about his business filling out some paperwork while the two headed out with their bull....

huntcoop
11-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Great.

Called in a nuisance bear and had a call back within 2 hours. Excellent service!

Bustercluck
11-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Great.

Called in a nuisance bear and had a call back within 2 hours. Excellent service!
Did you call this in to the line for reporting poachers and polluters?

twoSevenO
11-21-2019, 02:38 PM
called a few times for idiots on the river .... they did not seem very interested at all.
(snagging fish and keeping them)

huntcoop
11-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Did you call this in to the line for reporting poachers and polluters?

Yes, called the 1-877 number then followed the prompts.

ghost
11-21-2019, 05:16 PM
called about cow moose shot in 3-20.No reply had gps coordinates to give.

Squamch
11-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Buddy called in a still warm elk carcass. Saw the CO there about 2 hours later august 31 of this year.

Huevos
11-21-2019, 07:58 PM
I found a bear poached on the side of the road, dead not even an hour. (I know because we passed that way earlier.) Took some video, loaded it up and called it in when we got service. CO came and got it at our house. They found a slug in it. I thought the service worked well. I think our CO's do what they can with what they have. Many of these CO's have areas the size of whole european countries to cover. It sucks when animals get poached, but every gut pile, or animal shot out of season may not be poaching. When a guy finds head, hide and bones left over, sounds like maybe first nations got some meat. Still good to report, but might not actually have been illegal. Take comfort in the fact that you did your due diligence. They can use all the help they can get.

hawk-i
11-21-2019, 07:58 PM
This ain't going to be popular but as long as the 1st nations don't have to follow any game laws, there wouldn't be a chance in Hell I would I would concern myself with reporting any other ethnic group or individual for doing what they are legally allowed to do.
ONE law for all or go (tippy-toe) off.
JMHO though!

Keta1969
11-21-2019, 09:14 PM
This ain't going to be popular but as long as the 1st nations don't have to follow any game laws, there wouldn't be a chance in Hell I would I would concern myself with reporting any other ethnic group or individual for doing what they are legally allowed to do.
ONE law for all or go (tippy-toe) off.
JMHO though!

I also wouldn't report them for doing anything they are LEGALLY allowed to do either. But i'm calling in ILLEGAL activity. F###ng really dislike poachers, give all hunters a bad name. Don't like whats's going on with FN's but 2 wrongs don't make it right.

Firstblood
11-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Ive called them in by phone and had COS there within hours or less, and Used the App to report, added photos and details as well as Geo tag the location and seen COs there within a short time.

HarryToolips
11-21-2019, 10:33 PM
I have used them twice: once for a poached bull moose, and a CO called me for the info..the second was FN guys were selling salmon, when they are supposed to use it only for their own sustenance, CO called me back for that and I provided pics...both times the COs were appreciative, good service considering how under-manned they are, these guys are swamped, under-funded - we need more funding to go toward not only habitat restoration projects, but for more aerial counts and more COs!

twoSevenO
11-21-2019, 10:58 PM
COs really dont make that much money .... I think they cap out at like $75k. So I'm surprised the government cant afford a few more of them, especially considering how much some other government jobs pay and how many are employed at such ludacris salaries

GEF
11-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Just seems odd to implement a program and not have resources to cover it.
I WISH ALL THE LICENCE AND TAG MONEY WENT TO WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT.Just in case anyone is listening.
I have not seen a CO in the field in about 18 years . Makes you go Hmmmm as someone would say .

Wild one
11-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Just seems odd to implement a program and not have resources to cover it.
I WISH ALL THE LICENCE AND TAG MONEY WENT TO WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT.Just in case anyone is listening.
I have not seen a CO in the field in about 18 years . Makes you go Hmmmm as someone would say .

In my opinion poaching has been increasing in BC do to a lack of CO presents in the bush. Shady people start to calculate the odds after years of not seeing a CO.

But like Harry states this is just one of many funding issues

HarryToolips
11-22-2019, 08:51 AM
^^^saw one and was having a chat the other day with one, he actually had a confiscated moose in the back, when I showed him all my tags and showed him I was transporting my gun properly he was very friendly...

hawk-i
11-22-2019, 09:25 AM
I also wouldn't report them for doing anything they are LEGALLY allowed to do either. But i'm calling in ILLEGAL activity. F###ng really dislike poachers, give all hunters a bad name. Don't like whats's going on with FN's but 2 wrongs don't make it right.

By Legally allowed to do it I mean what the 1st nations are legally allowed to do. If one race can do it legally, I don't see it as poaching by any other race of people doing the same.

No discrimination, one law for all!

dracb
11-22-2019, 04:46 PM
There are a few more Co's around this year as recent recruits return from Depot training. I have had good experiences from using the RAPP line and also for all but one experience with CO's in the field.

My son and I worked for a couple of hours to get our truck started and were driving out to get the problem fixed. We got stopped out near Big Bar by a mixed RCMP/CO patrol. They would not listen to reason as to why I did not want to turn off the engine while they had their talk with us. They made their inspection and found nothing wrong and then drove off leaving us to try to get started again. That took a while in cold November weather, by the time we we got started again I was hot enough to chew nails and spit rivets (as the old saying goes).

rocksteady
11-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Sorry folks.. its not 911.. its rapp..

Not life threatening ...

albravo2
11-22-2019, 05:17 PM
I've had mixed experiences. Called once for a big 6 pt that had been shot and left in the Squamish Valley. They came in a couple hours and I helped do the necropsy. Not much in the way of gratitude for my time and effort. Next time I ran into the guy he pretended not to know me and asked me a bunch of dumb, repetitive questions to see if he could catch me in a lie about that day's hunt. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, that guy.

slowjo
11-24-2019, 10:45 AM
i’ve used the rapp line several times and have always had prompt follow ups.

fuzzybiscuit
11-24-2019, 11:11 AM
^^^saw one and was having a chat the other day with one, he actually had a confiscated moose in the back, when I showed him all my tags and showed him I was transporting my gun properly he was very friendly...

Besides having the gun unloaded what else would be considered transporting your gun properly...?

GEF
11-25-2019, 07:12 PM
I think they do there best with what the have .Just wish they would add a few more resources.Good to here some positive experiences.

murph83
12-02-2019, 08:00 PM
By Legally allowed to do it I mean what the 1st nations are legally allowed to do. If one race can do it legally, I don't see it as poaching by any other race of people doing the same.

No discrimination, one law for all!
100% this^^

scoutlt1
12-02-2019, 08:28 PM
I've only called RAPP once. Got a call back mid morning the next day from a CO saying they responded.

Calling in asap is important, but an online follow up (sooner rather than later) is always good too. The more that can be "on record" the better.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hen/nrv/report.htm

todbartell
12-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Phoned in a 3 point bull moose shot in a spike fork season. It was killed earlier that morning, still warm and in the corner of a clearing on side of a FSR. I was told later they determined it was a wolf kill. Mmmmhmmmm

338win mag
12-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Poaching is going to get alot worse with what's going on in this province, the handover of a resource to those who abuse it, then expect everyone to obey their laws, its ridiculous.

I have called rapp for littering violations a couple times, it took awhile to respond (a couple days) I expected that. They followed up on it and gave me an update several days later, it was a good experience, I cleaned up the garbage, they investigated.

45freezer
12-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Called in 3 poached calf elk in the squamish valley last spring. CO contacted me and I sent him pictures, gave detailed directions and offered to take him to them. Radio silence after that, never got a follow up. I as well was blown away by the amount of area one CO is in charge of, talk about resources spread thin.

westcoaster
12-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Called the RAPP line once about a drum of Sodium Cyanide (abandoned gold mine) Got a call back within an hour. First question he asked was what gave me the idea it was Sodium Cyanide? sent him a picture of the drum in an email and got a call back 10 minutes later. Hazmat team was there four days later to clean it up.
Sodium cyanide when it gets wet produces hydrogen cyanide gas. the rusty drum was sitting in a puddle of water....
I didn't realize it at the time, but I was exposed to the same gas as those in the trenches of WW1

RICKADY
12-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Hey WC not a good thought, minor exposure in an open area, not trench, I think you'll be ok,
Sad to see that some of that shit never got cleared when mining stopped,
Have a few Beer, get some sleep, go HUNTING tomorrow, all better.

westcoaster
12-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Hey WC not a good thought, minor exposure in an open area, not trench, I think you'll be ok,
Sad to see that some of that shit never got cleared when mining stopped,
Have a few Beer, get some sleep, go HUNTING tomorrow, all better.

That happened several years ago and I'm still posting. Don't think there were any adverse affects....
I didn't feel that good immediately after, but that wore off within a short time after leaving the area.
Much of the exposure happened as a result of touring the building before seeing the drum. Couldn't figure out what the smell was. Wasn't overpowering and didn't raise any alarm bells as there was a variety of substances laying about. (used motor oil, grease, hydraulic oil etc.)http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7682&stc=1