PDA

View Full Version : Rut activity

Pauly
11-19-2019, 09:05 PM
So I was out scouting the other day and bumped one bigger and one smaller whitetail buck with a few does out in the wide open last place I expected for that to happen. I’m thinking it’s the lack of snow deer are not confined to the timber in these conditions. This particular spot was low on deer sign all year yet the rut showed up and so have the deer. Kinda wished I hadn’t filled that last whitetail tag. Mule deer are going strong lots of buck sightings at a distance in rough country.
does any one else think the whitetail rut goes a week longer than the mule deer rut?

HarryToolips
11-19-2019, 09:26 PM
I think it usually starts a little later, generally for the whitetails...I witnessed while shooting a whitetail buck end of October, 2 other bucks sparing so I guess pre rut activity can start by about then?

Pauly
11-19-2019, 09:42 PM
I think it usually starts a little later, generally for the whitetails...I witnessed while shooting a whitetail buck end of October, 2 other bucks sparing so I guess pre rut activity can start by about then?
Yeah I’m not sure most years it seems to me the whitetail rut goes latter into the year. Or missed does come back in 28 days latter if they were missed?? Secondary rut? You wouldn’t think they’d be that far apart mule deer and whitetail. They seem to fawn about the same time. I just wonder if the whitetail bucks get wound up more than mulie bucks and maybe it takes longer to get the urge out of their system. It’s interesting that’s for sure

Redthies
11-20-2019, 08:02 AM
I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure WT rut later than MD every year. I haven’t filled my WT tags, so if you’d care to send me the gps coordinates of those bucks... I promise I’ll only take the smaller one so you can have the big guy next year...

Wild one
11-20-2019, 08:11 AM
WT are still very much in the rut. The activity we observe as hunters vary depending on the number of does in estrus, deer density, buck vs doe ratios, and age classes. Simply put its all about competition and this is what drives the buck behaviour during the rut. This is why you can experience vary different results on rut activity and even rut tactics for hunting in different areas

The actual rut is longer then most hunters think

joshbazz
11-20-2019, 08:17 AM
This is good news, getting out there early next week..

Wild one
11-20-2019, 08:31 AM
This is good news, getting out there early next week..

Do you have a scrape line scouted out yet? Natural funnels they travel through? An area with high doe numbers that stay consistent do to low pressure?

If you want to capitalize on the rut it’s about knowing the right locations to capitalize on the bucks habits. I invest my time scouting through out the year to capitalize on the month of Nov when it comes to whitetail. This way I have a number of locations that I can switch between according to the wind/conditions and spread my hunting pressure. Hunters underestimate how their presents in an area can change whitetail behaviour

Just somethings to think about well chasing these deer.

Bugle M In
11-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Should be starting about now, imo….

Seems to me MD was a little slower already this past weekend then the weekend before.
Hell of a lot more guys this past weekend, but no gunshots, compared to the weekend before where many more bucks hit the ground.

Agree also, WT tends to be a bit later, but also depends a bit by region, whether you are more north and way down south.
Again, imo, but get out there!

joshbazz
11-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Do you have a scrape line scouted out yet? Natural funnels they travel through? An area with high doe numbers that stay consistent do to low pressure?

If you want to capitalize on the rut it’s about knowing the right locations to capitalize on the bucks habits. I invest my time scouting through out the year to capitalize on the month of Nov when it comes to whitetail. This way I have a number of locations that I can switch between according to the wind/conditions and spread my hunting pressure. Hunters underestimate how their presents in an area can change whitetail behaviour

I have a couple ideas, places where WT have been spotted, but nothing hard and concrete. It is likely that I’ll be doing a daily scouting routine.

My plan is drive to some areas where I know WT have been spotted and look for sign. If I run into bear, I have a tag for that as well. I might grab a cougar tag while I’m at it on the rare off-chance I get an encounter.

I just haven’t had the time off I wanted this season. So going to hit it after dropping my child off at school, hit the mountains/woods until afternoon, then back to school for pickup. Basically 8:30am - 1pm Mon- Thurs.

That’s all I got :|

Wild one
11-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Josh

if the area you are hunting has areas with mixed timber look there. A lot of times WT will travel right where the two kinds of timber meet leaning more to the evergreen side. Mature evergreen is best as it kills a lot of the under growth making it easier to travel. In these areas WT will often put their scrapes at the base of evergreens especially if there is snow. If you can find an area that has a natural funnel through land contours or water/marsh land you are often going to find a real winner

If you can find a good area with 4+ active scrapes your onto something. Don’t get caught up on rubs on trees keep scanning for the scrapes. Best part if you find a good scrape line there will often be one there in following years too

Little something to think about

marcus44
11-20-2019, 05:57 PM
These guys look to be in full rut.... damn city deer

https://www.castanet.net/video/16386/buck-fight/

338win mag
11-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Good advice wild one^^^^^^
I have hunted and consistently shot Whitetails on the same series of ridges since I started hunting. I park my truck in the same spot because the wind is almost always right.
I have only shot one wt buck in a different place in over 40 years whitetailing, I just like going to the same spot because of the scrape activity at this time of year.
I have shot 4-5 bucks standing near the same scrape which they make every year, even after the area was logged...must be the scent from previous bucks that makes them re-create the scrape.

Scrape hunting for me is the most exciting way to hunt Whitetail bucks.

Mule deer rut? the bucks are really going now...saw a nice 4 point yesterday that wouldn't leave the area as the does were hanging out there and another 4 point went walking by me just the other day. I already filled my Mule deer tag , but good to see them running around.

Pauly
11-20-2019, 07:12 PM
Good advice wild one^^^^^^
I have hunted and consistently shot Whitetails on the same series of ridges since I started hunting. I park my truck in the same spot because the wind is almost always right.
I have only shot one wt buck in a different place in over 40 years whitetailing, I just like going to the same spot because of the scrape activity at this time of year.
I have shot 4-5 bucks standing near the same scrape which they make every year, even after the area was logged...must be the scent from previous bucks that makes them re-create the scrape.

Scrape hunting for me is the most exciting way to hunt Whitetail bucks.

Mule deer rut? the bucks are really going now...saw a nice 4 point yesterday that wouldn't leave the area as the does were hanging out there and another 4 point went walking by me just the other day. I already filled my Mule deer tag , but good to see them running around.
I love hunting whitetail in the poplars with heavy snow bush cover . Draws and saddles. One spot I’ve shot a pile of whitetail in is a draw that runs up a steep mountain and over the top and down the other side. The perfect short cut for deer full of cover and feed and each end of the draw is a doe group bedding area so the bucks are always using it to cruise

joshbazz
11-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Josh

if the area you are hunting has areas with mixed timber look there. A lot of times WT will travel right where the two kinds of timber meet leaning more to the evergreen side. Mature evergreen is best as it kills a lot of the under growth making it easier to travel. In these areas WT will often put their scrapes at the base of evergreens especially if there is snow. If you can find an area that has a natural funnel through land contours or water/marsh land you are often going to find a real winner

If you can find a good area with 4+ active scrapes your onto something. Don’t get caught up on rubs on trees keep scanning for the scrapes. Best part if you find a good scrape line there will often be one there in following years too

Little something to think about

Thanks Wild one, I’ll keep that in mind. I wasn’t sure what scrapes were at first, but I understand now. Will look at topo maps for the areas I’m interested in to see how they fit with marsh and tree combos. As always, appreciate your advice!

These guys look to be in full rut.... damn city deer

https://www.castanet.net/video/16386/buck-fight/

Dang, that’s just up the road from me!

Wild one
11-20-2019, 07:33 PM
My one location is only 1km off the Hwy and everyone drives right by it because there is no open areas for about 8km. The road crosses two sloughs and in between is a 300yard wide by 4km long strip of dry ground about 10ft higher than the sloughs. This runs until the one slough becomes a pond and this strip joins into a ridge. It consists of mixed timber with small open areas in the mature evergreens. This is a major travel route and funnel used by everything. Add in a pocket that has 7 scrapes within 40yards its not a bad little spot lol

Sadly I missed a WT buck that would break 170+ in this spot a last week it’s been years since I missed :icon_frow

The more positives you can combined in one location the better

Wild one
11-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Josh I went OCD on 3 species and WT is one of them lol. There is a lot of animals I am a meh hunter or clueless with but I do know my WT

The ground I have covered, things I tried, trail and error from lots of screw ups I figured out a few things lol. These days I can take a drive through an area I have never been to and without seeing a single WT stop my truck and walk into the bush during the rut and find a scrape line within a 1/2hr no BS.

I can explain a lot of things but there is definitely the I just know when I see it factor. Biggest thing with WT is it is a 99% mental game

Liveforthehunt
11-20-2019, 07:48 PM
From experience on Sunday I saw 10 bucks over 40 deer total majority muleys some whitetails... muleys are going full stupid except the monster I saw he was still on full alert. Whitetail pre rut but every doe I saw didnt have a buck and every muley doe had a buck or 2 hanging around

joshbazz
11-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Josh I went OCD on 3 species and WT is one of them lol. There is a lot of animals I am a meh hunter or clueless with but I do know my WT

The ground I have covered, things I tried, trail and error from lots of screw ups I figured out a few things lol. These days I can take a drive through an area I have never been to and without seeing a single WT stop my truck and walk into the bush during the rut and find a scrape line within a 1/2hr no BS.

I can explain a lot of things but there is definitely the I just know when I see it factor. Biggest thing with WT is it is a 99% mental game

Thanks. Going to try to put them into practice in the field. Really appreciate the help you, and others including HarryToolips, have shared with me. Hopefully I can return the favor with some pics of success. Cheers!

BTW, what are the other 2 species you are OCD on?

Wild one
11-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks. Going to try to put them into practice in the field. Really appreciate the help you, and others including HarryToolips, have shared with me. Hopefully I can return the favor with some pics of success. Cheers!

BTW, what are the other 2 species you are OCD on?

I hope you nail a nice one

black bear and blacktail but I learned to hunt the blacktail that everyone overlooked not the mountain deer they are still a mystery to me. I really miss blacktail to the point I am tempted to make a hunting trip to the lower mainland but then I remember I hate everything else there lol

One of my greatness attributes for hunting is I learned to hunt where others don’t. I got really good at it growing up in the lower mainland where you are trying to get away from party people, hikers, 4x4, ATV, completely trashed areas, target shooters and hunters. I have not had a person on cam or a strangers foot print near my sets in years lol

Bugle M In
11-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Some good advice by both members right there.

Not sure where you live 338, but it's good to know the MD rut I still going.
Damn, I wish I could get out this weekend, as I was out this past week, lots of MD Doe, but could only find several bucks, but not the 4 pt from
the previous week.
Was concerned things were slowing down".

Rubs for WT are important as the 2 members above stated.
Snow should help make finding this areas easier, but not always the case (no snow), but just go for a walk and when you find them, you know you are in the right area.
Same goes for MD with rubs, imo, but they have to be really fresh, not the ones they use to remove velvet.

Coach Bob
11-22-2019, 01:36 PM
While Hunting in Kamloops this past weekend I had a Muley Buck charge at me to 10 yards, head down grunting whole way from about 25 yards in. At about 10 yards he came out from behind a tree into the open to see my 300 pointed directly at him. Froze for a brief couple seconds, his tines were huge looked easily 18" + each. Countin tines he's. only a 2 point !! Looked like a giant tuning fork on top of his head. Hopefully find him again next year for a chance again.

joshbazz
11-22-2019, 07:26 PM
I hope you nail a nice one

black bear and blacktail but I learned to hunt the blacktail that everyone overlooked not the mountain deer they are still a mystery to me. I really miss blacktail to the point I am tempted to make a hunting trip to the lower mainland but then I remember I hate everything else there lol

One of my greatness attributes for hunting is I learned to hunt where others don’t. I got really good at it growing up in the lower mainland where you are trying to get away from party people, hikers, 4x4, ATV, completely trashed areas, target shooters and hunters. I have not had a person on cam or a strangers foot print near my sets in years lol

Thanks, me too! Awesome, I'm interested in hunting the same animals - well I'm new, I'm interested in ALL game... Totally dig the style of being away from others, sounds like you are dialed in!

Pauly
11-24-2019, 05:31 PM
Was out for a scout today to see if we could fill dads last whitetail tag. Nothing moving at all. Snow with rock hard crust. Bad for hunting and deer alike. Most activity seemed to be in the thick stuff. Tromping around was a noisy waste of time. Only had a small amount of time so didn’t sit much.

Muliechaser
11-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Was out for a scout today to see if we could fill dads last whitetail tag.

I took my 72 year old father out this morning to try and fill his last whitetail tag. He filled it all the while as we sat 400 yards of the main road and listened to all the hunters drive by. I could list a thousand areas around Kamloops for whitetail.. not spots. Nobody walks anywhere any more. In fact I haven’t bumped into a single hunter this year in the woods and I rarely see parked rigs anymore. Which is great.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?154857-Kamloops-bc-whitetail-sightings&p=2128110#post2128110

Not to be a dick or anything but i thought he filled his last tag allready??!!

As for the rut i have the same observations as you . Deer are in the tight timber

HarryToolips
11-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Was out yesterday all day, put quite a few k's on the boots...yes a lot of activity in the thick stuff, including lots of fresh rubs...was looking to be selective on my last tag with a nice mature WT buck, saw quite a few mulies, lots of rubs, was thinking the rubs were only MD rubs, unloaded my gun as I'm decending a slippery hill..so I get to the bottom of the hill and forget to load my gun..walking across a hillside and I look up, see a WT doe and another WT moving behind her - I think I bet this is a buck - sure enough it is and a real nice one to boot - I remember crap I gotta jack a shell in - I proceed to do so, but after going through the thick stuff I got a piece of that old mans beard lichen stuck right where my shell goes - so I'm trying to jack this shell in but it won't fit - I quickly take off my pack to grab my bore snake and clean my barrel meanwhile he's got his nose up her ass in hot pursuit - takes me a couple minutes to get it cleaned out and shell jacked in and pack put back together, I scamper up the hill, can't see em, spent the last couple hours of light looking for them, only see several more MD - damn!

Pauly
11-24-2019, 07:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?154857-Kamloops-bc-whitetail-sightings&p=2128110#post2128110

Not to be a dick or anything but i thought he filled his last tag allready??!!

As for the rut i have the same observations as you . Deer are in the tight timber
No he still has a tag left

Pauly
11-24-2019, 07:05 PM
No he still has a tag left
I should clarify.. my wife’s dad. I have two dads lol

Liveforthehunt
11-24-2019, 08:32 PM
MD peaked last week. Whiteys are going pretty good now saw a whitey buck today swelled right up nose down ... saw a 4 point muley yesterday with some does he was small though and not a ton of interest

joshbazz
11-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Was out yesterday all day, put quite a few k's on the boots...yes a lot of activity in the thick stuff, including lots of fresh rubs...was looking to be selective on my last tag with a nice mature WT buck, saw quite a few mulies, lots of rubs, was thinking the rubs were only MD rubs, unloaded my gun as I'm decending a slippery hill..so I get to the bottom of the hill and forget to load my gun..walking across a hillside and I look up, see a WT doe and another WT moving behind her - I think I bet this is a buck - sure enough it is and a real nice one to boot - I remember crap I gotta jack a shell in - I proceed to do so, but after going through the thick stuff I got a piece of that old mans beard lichen stuck right where my shell goes - so I'm trying to jack this shell in but it won't fit - I quickly take off my pack to grab my bore snake and clean my barrel meanwhile he's got his nose up her ass in hot pursuit - takes me a couple minutes to get it cleaned out and shell jacked in and pack put back together, I scamper up the hill, can't see em, spent the last couple hours of light looking for them, only see several more MD - damn!

Crazy, gotta hate when that happens! I’ve still yet to see a WT buck, but I’ll be lookin this week :)

Wild one
11-25-2019, 06:28 AM

Everyone gets those moments that something stupid goes wrong

But it’s way funnier when I hear it happen to someone else lol

Wild one
11-25-2019, 06:39 AM
Crazy, gotta hate when that happens! I’ve still yet to see a WT buck, but I’ll be lookin this week :)

No pressure but I expect you to do something about that and since you are lagging behind I expect a solid 180 buck min lol

HarryToolips
11-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Everyone gets those moments that something stupid goes wrong

But it’s way funnier when I hear it happen to someone else lol
LOL I know it is funny...he sure was a nice one though, I wasn't laughing at the time..I really wouldn't be laughing if I didn't have meat in the freezer..

HarryToolips
11-25-2019, 07:22 AM
You got 6 days, shoot me a PM....

Wild one
11-25-2019, 07:29 AM
LOL I know it is funny...he sure was a nice one though, I wasn't laughing at the time..I really wouldn't be laughing if I didn't have meat in the freezer..

If it helps it make me feel better about my screw up with a big buck this year lol

ghost
11-25-2019, 07:49 AM
saw a decent 4 point yesterday hot on a doe chasing her all over hillside

HarryToolips
11-25-2019, 09:11 PM
If it helps it make me feel better about my screw up with a big buck this year lol
Lol,glad,to,hear I'm not the only one...if I shot every big one that I screwed up on...well I'd have a lot more heads on the wall, I seem to screw up more with the big ones, lol damn buck fever I guess...

Pauly
11-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Lol,glad,to,hear I'm not the only one...if I shot every big one that I screwed up on...well I'd have a lot more heads on the wall, I seem to screw up more with the big ones, lol damn buck fever I guess...

a few years back I had a monster mulie walk right in to me head down.. oblivious. I settled in took a deep breath .. exhaled and fogged up my scope. It was -20 turned to ice lol and that was that over in a heart beat lol I’ve yet to see another that big. Still gives me nightmares

Bugle M In
11-26-2019, 01:06 PM
a few years back I had a monster mulie walk right in to me head down.. oblivious. I settled in took a deep breath .. exhaled and fogged up my scope. It was -20 turned to ice lol and that was that over in a heart beat lol I’ve yet to see another that big. Still gives me nightmares

That's exactly why many old timers liked to hunt with just their 30/30 in timber.
I had a bull elk, same thing, very cold out and only when I lifted to shoot did I realize my scope had fogging issues.
Have also fogged it up once or twice on my own and it's hard to remove it when it freezes in a snap!

joshbazz
11-26-2019, 02:46 PM
You got 6 days, shoot me a PM....

Will do Harry...

I went up yesterday, had less than four hours between 10:30am and 2pm, tried to make the most of it. Hiked up that hill you mentioned - probably too fast and too noisy. All the tracks I saw were going downhill, looked pretty fresh. onX says I hiked up 1.2 km, about 120m in elevation. Didn't see anything moving. Tried to go slow, stopped and glassed lots.

What I learned is:

- I don't need to fill my pack up with 30 extra pounds, had 3 litres of water, extra clothes, other gear I didn't need, and my pack weighs 7 pounds empty. Holy shat, my legs were jello once I got up past a km. I didn't drink anything, nor did I eat anything until I got back to the truck ( though I did eat and drink a lot of water before hiking).

- Going downhill is MUCH harder when your legs want to give in (man am I out of shape!). It was funny, I was cursing myself for not bringing trekking poles. Halfway down I realized that I could just pick up one of the thousands of solid branches that were everywhere on the hill. Now that helped a TON! I literally went down 50 yards backwards because my legs were so sore, haha.

Anyways, burned plenty of calories, which I was happy to do... I love it when a workout is a side effect of doing something engaging.

joshbazz
11-26-2019, 02:53 PM
No pressure but I expect you to do something about that and since you are lagging behind I expect a solid 180 buck min lol

haha, no pressure at all...

jan.wi97
11-26-2019, 04:25 PM
haha, no pressure at all...
If you still have your old number, just sent you a spot
I saw a heck a lot of activity in.

Can't go due to work so give it a try :)

Cheers,
Jan

joshbazz
11-26-2019, 05:47 PM
If you still have your old number, just sent you a spot
I saw a heck a lot of activity in.

Can't go due to work so give it a try :)

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan!!!!

Pauly
12-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Did some ice fishing at Roche area this weekend. Saw a fair amount of mule deer and a handful of whitetail in one group. A few smaller mulie bucks. The whitetail were all skin heads. Rut is winding down I’d say

montec assassin
12-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Just a quick question. I went out for one last hurrah on the season this morning, sat dec 7. I was looking for a 4 pt mule but managed to bump a whitey doe with a youngster. It was in prime whitetail habitat. I was able to stop them in their tracks at 45 yards with my doe can. As hard as I tried, I couldn't grow antlers on them. The question is, If I went back tomorrow morning and sat and rattled, would that have any affect on a curious buck? Or are they not at all responsive to rattling any more? Kamloops location.
Thanks

hunter1947
12-07-2019, 04:53 PM
I have seen wt fawns born in July so what does that tell you mule deer rut earlier then wt deer ,,believe me i see it i am out there in the mountains for 6 months from june till late Nov ,,I see..

Wild one
12-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Just a quick question. I went out for one last hurrah on the season this morning, sat dec 7. I was looking for a 4 pt mule but managed to bump a whitey doe with a youngster. It was in prime whitetail habitat. I was able to stop them in their tracks at 45 yards with my doe can. As hard as I tried, I couldn't grow antlers on them. The question is, If I went back tomorrow morning and sat and rattled, would that have any affect on a curious buck? Or are they not at all responsive to rattling any more? Kamloops location.
Thanks

My opinion is you are past the rattling stage but you may have success with a doe bleat. But it there is no buck around you have even less of a chance

RyoTHC
12-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Thanks

Im local, put a lot of time out there and I’d say that you’re beyond rattling, all the big guys have rounded up their girls and any bucks that still have the energy to breed are going to be looking for lone females going back into estrus and not a fight. But, anywhere. Anytime.

Walking Buffalo
12-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Thanks

Absolutely!
I rattle in deer from Sept. through March.
Rattling can work anytime bucks are in hard antler.
The key is How you rattle.... subdued before the pre-rut, Gentle and/or Real hard early rut to early post rut (Nov/Dec), then gently only again after that.
Bucks will rarely have a serious battle outside of the mating season, but they will spar with each other as long has they have "hard horns".