PDA

View Full Version : First Kill of the season a small 4 X 5 mulie

gameslayer
10-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Well me and 2 buddies one who is Sako7 (a new member) were planning a 3 day Alpine hunt. Then it turned out I could not get last Friday off work due to meetings and our other friend's parents informed him they were coming into town from Ontario to visit so that cancelled his trip. Then we started to hear that the snow levels were down to 5500 feet and we were planning on sleeping at 6500 and hunting higher. We still do not own the best gear and figured that with bad weather forecasted and the low visibility likely up high we would abort the alpine hunt and head to Sako7's cabin instead. I had scouted about 6 weeks ago up there and saw a couple of nice 4 points and a third buck that took off too fast to identify so we were hoping to see one of them still lingering in the same spot. I guess after I had seen the deer Sako7 had bino'd a couple of bow hunters thrashing the spot from about 500 yard's out about 4 weeks ago so chances were slim they would still be there with the added pressure, if not dead.
We got up to the Cabin and unloaded the Quads Friday evening with 2 hours still left of shooting light. He headed east and I went west back to my look out were I have killed a couple deer in the past and on the way saw a couple of doe's. I got to my spot and hiked up and spent the next hour glassing and did not see a thing. I hiked into a good deer spot 1/4 km away and came up blank there as well and the darkness set in.
We met back at the cabin and exchanged info and it turns out he saw a lot more action than me, several small bucks and many doe's so we decided to hunt east of the cabin the next morning. We spent the evening talking about Hunting, planning future trips drinking Captain Morgan's and a few Buds (The best way to spend an evening)
We got up about an hour earlier than need be and drank a pot of coffee and headed out about 1/2 hour before shooting light. I was planning on pounding as many spots and cuts as possible to either get a deer or locate them so I could find a spot to hike into or get set up for Saturday evening. We find the area can be hit and miss at times trying to find the animals with all the logging in the area so sometimes you show up to your favourite spot and it has been logged as far as you can see. I headed out on the trail and within minutes came across a spiker and doe. I hit several new cuts I had never been to and saw several more small bucks and many does. Things were looking promising. I spotted a moose running for no apparent reason and was hoping it was because it was being pestered by an immature bull but no such luck. I found a new spot I had never been to and parked the quad and hiked up to about a 2 year old cut that had the road deactivated. When I got into the cut I immediately saw 5 deer start moving to my right and one looked like a shooter. I was having trouble counting the points as it moved briskly through the cut to the tree line. When I finally managed to count one of the sides he was already in the trees and quickly became obscured by trees and the 4 does travelling with him. I could not safely take the shot. My buck fever was triggered and I debated if I should leave the area and sneak back early afternoon and sit up high till dark watching the tree line they slowly disappeared in or if I should circle around were they went in and try and flank them being as the area looked very walk-able and easy to move in undetected. I love a good stock and so decided on the latter. I headed across the cut and circled into the woods on the opposite side of a small pined noel that the deer had headed into. I very slowly made my way in expecting if I was to see anything it would be on my right or straight ahead so I step by slow step made my way into the bush. I hardly even looked to my left because I did not want to miss the slightest bit of movement and blow the stock. I suddenly heard a huff to my left and looked over to see a cinnamon bear standing on it's hind legs about 15 yards away. It startled me and I clicked the safety off in preparation for action only to be more surprised to see 3 more bears 2 more cinnamon and a black all were well over 100 pounds closer to 200 I would say and big momma. They all turned and headed 45 degrees to my left into the pines. I was wishing I had my camera but I had left it in my pack back on the quad. I moved about 20 more feet and knelt down on the forest floor. I glassed the trees for about 10 mins until I spotted the front right quarter of a deer through the pines. Bingo !!! I thought I had located the party of 5. With further glassing I could only see a doe and a year old fawn. I then heard some blowing coming directly from my right. I thought I was made so just froze. Turns out I had 4 more deer heading right at me. They slowly came through the trees and held up only 20 yards away, 2 were bucks a spiker and a 2 point and 2 were does. I could not believe how much game was in here. A 5th deer came walking over and joined the other 4 and they all started feeding. The original 2 deer in front of me bedded down and the 2 bucks started play fighting tickling their antlers with each other as they feed I was in heaven. It did not take too long before the lead doe circled past me & finally scented me and she lead the 4 other deer slowly away still not able to see me. The 2 bedded deer stood up and joined the other 5. I was still looking for my buck when from around the edge of the noel I see movement. It was a doe with a deer in trail headed straight at me. I quickly spotted antlers and knew this was my deer. The buck was behind her head down and she was headed rite for me. I slowly picked up my rifle from my side and she saw some movement and locked up about 25 yard out. When she dropped her head to get a better look at me I saw the buck pop his up on high alert. I placed the cross hairs on the side of his head and let loose. He dropped like a stone. I walked up to him and was surprised to see he was a small 4 X 5, my first. The bullet passed through his head and deflected down into his lower back. It went only an inch deep so no meat was damaged. I hiked back and radioed Sako7 who was about 9 KM away and gladly gave me a hand cleaning and packing out the deer. The deer had quite a large body on him and we were glad we were not doing it from the alpine in a snow storm. We managed to finish off a bottle with the Captain in celibration that evening. :biggrin:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/gameslayer_photo/IMG_2381.jpg?t=1191393250
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/gameslayer_photo/IMG_2384.jpg

daycort
10-02-2007, 11:45 PM
nice read. beauty of a first time buck.

76Chevy
10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
awesome mulie.

I wouldnt call him small either. thats a nice buck if i do say so myself.

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Thats a good trip! Nice buck. I like that right side, looks as if it'd be almost palmated in a couple years.
Actually it reminds me of a young version of that buck Dana shot in his Mass n Trash thread on here.

gameslayer
10-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Thats a good trip! Nice buck. I like that right side, looks as if it'd be almost palmated in a couple years.
Actually it reminds me of a young version of that buck Dana shot in his Mass n Trash thread on here.

Thanks
Dana had some good history with Mass n Trash . I think he is holding out for godzilla this year after seeing the bucks he has been passing on.

Will
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Congrats ! 8-)

Th0r
10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Great Story. Nice Buck, Good goin.

Sharkey
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Nice work! Great photos - that must have been a rush to see the bears too I bet!
~D