PDA

View Full Version : WTF....why kill more than you can eat just because your allowed too??

kosser
11-19-2019, 11:05 AM
whats everyone take on killing animals just for the sake of it, i know of a couple parties that had good years, filled the freezer with big game yet they bored so they go hunting and keep killing to fill there 25 dollar tags they bought. its bad enough fn have special rights can hunt and kill what ever they want when ever they want. Also I'm not not talking about the poaching that still probably keeps happening. Population is only getting bigger,, with the liberals at office mass immigration is most likely on the way. Everyone complaining about low game numbers. I would assume the next regulations changes will will be completely different or if not shut down the season completely like what happen this year to our fishing industry...

11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10' ........................ nope

Wild one
11-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Self control is lacking with some hunters there is 2 things that commonly have me shake my head. One you mentioned is those who take more than they needed and it goes to waste. Then there are those who complain about extremely low numbers and then go shoot a doe/cow in the area

Just because it’s legal does not always make it right. Conservation mind ethics shown by example go farther then complaining about issues.

I believe unregulated hunting is still a much bigger issue

adriaticum
11-19-2019, 11:28 AM
If everyone took only what they need, we wouldn't be living in a society we live in today.
We live in the scarcity mindset times.
As our resources are on the decline nobody thinks about reducing their consumption for the benefit of the resource,
but rather everyone wants to make sure they can get as much as they can because the resource might not be around tomorrow.
It's human nature at the moment.
That's why all prosperous societies collapse.
Good times usually don't last long.
You make a good point though.

Bugle M In
11-19-2019, 11:37 AM
If everyone took only what they need, we wouldn't be living in a society we live in today.
We live in the scarcity mindset times.
As our resources are on the decline nobody thinks about reducing their consumption for the benefit of the resource,
but rather everyone wants to make sure they can get as much as they can because the resource might not be around tomorrow.
It's human nature at the moment.
That's why all prosperous societies collapse.
Good times usually don't last long.
You make a good point though.

This pretty much sums up humans^^^^
Look at the size of some folks houses and what they drive, which are easy things to spot.
Plenty of people make more than enough money to live a comfortable life, yet still carry tones of debt.
What you describe is just people as they are......never enough.

I understand your point, and know of an old friend or 2 over the years who if he had a tag for it, would fill it regardless if that was really what
he was looking for.
But remember, some folks will eat it all, so don't ever categorize some folks as "all folks".

Would be nice if some who are freezer full but still have a tag or 2 to go out and hunt some preds, like wolf or coyote instead and not worry
about the 20 or 30 $'s.
Try something different if one has the time.
Funny thing is, those folks that get out that often generally have easy access, plenty of extra time and a lot of spare cash!
So why some, like that friend or 2 I mentioned from my past are so hung up on "I spent cash for the tag, so I am going to use it",
is beyond me.

All you can do is just worry about yourself and take your values and apply to yourself.

boxhitch
11-19-2019, 12:03 PM
looking in ............hunters hating hunters...............double face slap.........moving on.......

skibum
11-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Yep, seeing too many immigrants in the bush these days - Hardly hear a word of english any more from my stand... They are such great hunters filling tag after tag - no clue how they do it when I put in so much time.

twoSevenO
11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I'm an immigrant. I just wanna say thanks for letting me buy tags and shoot your animals

We killed them all where I'm from so here we are :)

Pauly
11-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Yep, seeing too many immigrants in the bush these days - Hardly hear a word of english any more from my stand... They are such great hunters filling tag after tag - no clue how they do it when I put in so much time.
My own personal method is to rotate years. This year was a meat mission fill the freezer. Depending what’s left by next September will determine how I hunt. Had a great year for meat deer so typically I’ll hold a tag or two for next years November rut and only shoot one whitetail doe to top off my supply. Responsible Harvest.

decker9
11-19-2019, 12:16 PM
100% agree kosser. Over harvesting is a big problem. What really irks me is when people try to unload “last years” game meat on me for trap bait, just so they can go hunt again. I see it every single year.

Muliechaser
11-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Usually a butthurt responce to hunters who succeed when one doesnt, perhaps not but seems the norm .

Our household for example .
2 adults 3 children .
We eat game 5-7 days out of the week .
2-3 lbs a shot X up to 365 times a year . Thats up to 1000lbs of deboned meat per year .

We are not wealthy whatsoever .
We have great seasons we have bad seasons . But the freezers only hold so much .
That being said people who harvest what they are aloud to dont always waste it . Some give it away to help others in need and or to make room for an approaching season .
We take what we can . If we have a good season the year before . We dont continue to harvest "what we are aloud to" we hold out . Not every body wastes or kills becuase they can . Hell weve had bad seasons due to work and life and was glad we filled the freezers the season before .

If its legal its legal . Some have morals and ethics some dont .

The majority play by the rules personal ethics and legal seasons . There are so many factors when it comes to decline in areas. Predators ,unlicenced and ungoverned harvest of females, poaching the list goes on .

United we stand devided we fall .
If seasons shorten . Great . If some seasons close . Great . As long as there is opportunity to harvest we shouldnt complain! Historicly seasons have been shortened and leghtened opened and closed for the last 30 years .

Most people have problems putting one deer in the freezer .
Let alone cutting all the tags they can.

Mc

Gateholio
11-19-2019, 12:21 PM
whats everyone take on killing animals just for the sake of it, i know of a couple parties that had good years, filled the freezer with big game yet they bored so they go hunting and keep killing to fill there 25 dollar tags they bought. its bad enough fn have special rights can hunt and kill what ever they want when ever they want. Also I'm not not talking about the poaching that still probably keeps happening. Population is only getting bigger,, with the liberals at office mass immigration is most likely on the way. Everyone complaining about low game numbers. I would assume the next regulations changes will will be completely different or if not shut down the season completely like what happen this year to our fishing industry...

Have you filled your freezer yet?

adriaticum
11-19-2019, 12:21 PM
looking in ............hunters hating hunters...............double face slap.........moving on.......

Well you can frame it that way if you want, but what will happen when the resource runs dry is hunters killing hunters for what's left over.
I'm sure the bison hunters in the late 1800s said the same thing when anyone asked them why they killed all those bison and left them to rot.
Or just took the tongues.

quadrakid
11-19-2019, 12:29 PM
I would like to meet these hunters that are so successful they are overharvesting in your opinion. Most threads guys are complaining that they can not harvest anything because of low game numbers. Judging from the number of folks posting their successes on HBC i would say overharvesting by hunters is not a problem. Habitat loss and predators, big problems.

11-19-2019, 12:43 PM
I would like to meet these hunters that are so successful they are overharvesting in your opinion. Most threads guys are complaining that they can not harvest anything because of low game numbers. Judging from the number of folks posting their successes on HBC i would say overharvesting by hunters is not a problem. Habitat loss and predators, big problems.

and add "Unregulated" hunting to that..... There is you first place to go fix.... so to line this up with Boxhitch, yes "Hunters hating hunters" is NOT the way to go..... No matter what Adriacticum and Kosser think.... going after our own is the very last thing we need to do...

sthdslayer
11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Like others have mentioned we have much bigger problems that need attention. I know a lot of hunters , some are quite successful and i can assure you that any meat surplus to their needs is shared with those less fortunate. This seems to be another troll looking to cause division

Piperdown
11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Well i will chime in here as this thought came up at our hunting property in 6-04. First off last year i got a nice bull in archery season, weighted 565 lbs hanging at the butcher, it was the first time that we had kept a whole moose for ourselves. There were 4 bulls taken from our camp last year, 2 were immy's and the other was an average sized moose, these four bulls fed 6 families for the year. This year we had enough to last for this coming year so didn't target moose, passed on numerous deer, and after Oureo's whitetail thread it was the first time i have been able to watch some nice whities on the cams and watch them grow, i could have shot this one buck last year and this year and he would be by far the biggest to date, but as previously stated we still have moose in the freezer and i can hardly wait to see what he looks like next year if he makes it through the year.
So my hunting buddy was hunting moose and i told him a spot where i knew a bull was, he goes in a tad late and a group shot it just as he arrived. So in talking to the group ( 1 family, father, daughter and 2 sons) who were from Vanderhoof, they tell him they had a group draw and had harvested 2 bulls already. The moose they shot ran into heavy timber and they chased it about 2 km and put it down. Then they proceeded to quarter it and left it to come back for packing out the next day. So my buddy goes into the same area the next day and runs into this group again, they tell him what i just told you about packing out the moose that morning, but they were out hunting for another moose first thing. He looks at them at says, lets see you have shot 3 already and you are looking for a fourth, how much meat do you need. they stated well we have more than enough meat but we have one more tag. You tell me greedy or not??

11-19-2019, 12:49 PM
This is where organizations like BCWF etc used to fill the bill... Hunters donating time and money to Habitat and conservation. The we got caught up in all the politics and everyone pulled out from BCWF.
Kosser, you want game? go make some....... if you cant make some donate to places that can...... Stuff your money where your mouth is before you go after our own.... and before you jump in and say " oh I do all that and have done so for the past 40 years.... " that really is easy to say online, know one will ever know the truth.........

guess I used the 10' pole

Stone Sheep Steve
11-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Male harvest of ungulates follows the population trend. It doesn’t drive it.

Well wrapped meat will last at least two years in a good deep freeze.

In 2017 I found a 2014 mule deer roast that was in the bottom of the deep freeze. I cooked it side by side with a 2017 deer roast and it was every bit as good as the 2017 roast.

SSS

11-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Well i will chime in here as this thought came up at our hunting property in 6-04. First off last year i got a nice bull in archery season, weighted 565 lbs hanging at the butcher, it was the first time that we had kept a whole moose for ourselves. There were 4 bulls taken from our camp last year, 2 were immy's and the other was an average sized moose, these four bulls fed 6 families for the year. This year we had enough to last for this coming year so didn't target moose, passed on numerous deer, and after Oureo's whitetail thread it was the first time i have been able to watch some nice whities on the cams and watch them grow, i could have shot this one buck last year and this year and he would be by far the biggest to date, but as previously stated we still have moose in the freezer and i can hardly wait to see what he looks like next year if he makes it through the year.
So my hunting buddy was hunting moose and i told him a spot where i knew a bull was, he goes in a tad late and a group shot it just as he arrived. So in talking to the group ( 1 family, father, daughter and 2 sons) who were from Vanderhoof, they tell him they had a group draw and had harvested 2 bulls already. The moose they shot ran into heavy timber and they chased it about 2 km and put it down. Then they proceeded to quarter it and left it to come back for packing out the next day. So my buddy goes into the same area the next day and runs into this group again, they tell him what i just told you about packing out the moose that morning, but they were out hunting for another moose first thing. He looks at them at says, lets see you have shot 3 already and you are looking for a fourth, how much meat do you need. they stated well we have more than enough meat but we have one more tag. You tell me greedy or not??

There are greedy people out there... there is no denying it.. but they need to be dealt with off line. otherwise we infight.... on a way larger platform... and that is more damage to us.

RyoTHC
11-19-2019, 12:54 PM

I’d much rather have more than I need and share it with people I enjoy than to run out before next season, sounds like you may be someone that’s having a tough time filling tags and is a bit jealous.

assuming the meat doesn’t go to waste what is the difference ? Legally harvested is legally harvested , whether the hunter eats it or his family.

jac
11-19-2019, 01:19 PM
I agree with the over harvesting of some is a real problem. The system is very liberal if you ask me. Increase the cost of tags and spend more on conservation and management.

Fella
11-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Hmm Are we sure that licensed hunters actually impact populations that severely? I’d venture that urban sprawl, industrial activity and predators probably make a much bigger dent

Haddy
11-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Just wondering who the expert source is that decides how much meat a family needs? I fill my tags to feed my family. The regulations allow me to harvest a maximum number of different species and I fill them as I feel fit. As far as I know there isn't an authority out there that can tell me how much meat I can eat. If I kill it, it gets eaten. Stop whining online and put your boots to the ground to fill your freezer and soothe your hurt butt.

twoSevenO
11-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Hmm Are we sure that licensed hunters actually impact populations that severely? I’d venture that urban sprawl, industrial activity and predators probably make a much bigger dent

I dont think hes saying it is a reason for the decline. I think he is saying why add to to an existing problem by taking more than you need.

I agree that many people here eat what they kill and kill only what the plan to eat ... but there is no doubt the minority that is just out to fill tags. Theres hunters of all shapes and sizes and preferences.

I dont really even get the point of this thread. You killed a legal moose. Who cares if your family ate it or your brothers family?

lovemywinchester
11-19-2019, 02:22 PM

I dont really even get the point of this thread.

The point is to troll us 270. Hes got all the bases covered. FN, immigrants, over harvesting. His verbiage reminds of that jackass a few years ago from Germany looking to get photos of "Piles of dead wolves"................PILES!!

11-19-2019, 02:35 PM
kosser posts his 10th post on HBC having been a member for just over 3 months. Its a post like this with only birds chirping form him....

and your other 9 or so are here
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?153758-mu-7-41-moose-draw&p=2112572#post2112572

where in your post 14 you shot at 2 moose. one on the road and had 2 shots at a bull walking at what you said is long range?
and here you are..... I'm thinking you have some learning to do

limit time
11-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Reeeeeeeee........

Yeeeeeeeeet.........

Ooooooooof.......

Honk.

MichelD
11-19-2019, 02:47 PM
I was fortunate to get two deer in 2018. This fall wifey asked me to not shoot any this fall because we have a year's worth left.

I went out with buds hoping they would get something, just so I could go hunting.

rocksteady
11-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Depends on the family.. my wife will not cook any meat left over after 2 years. All packs are date stamped. Usually have very little left over past the 2 yr deadline.. it dors not go to waste, we make burger jerky or give to my f-i-l for trapping bait

chele
11-19-2019, 03:25 PM
I still have some meat left from last year so I did not buy a license or tag for this year. I’ve been successful for the last three years and I have used the meat before the next years season opening.

i am going duck/geese hunting this weekend, but I am pretty bad at it... Hopefully this is the first year I can get a goose :)

twoSevenO
11-19-2019, 03:47 PM
I have probably bought 10 whitetail tags over the years. I dont hunt where there are ang WT anymore. I dont even know why I buy that tag still. Def not buying it in 2020.

As for having meat left over.... never is the case as I only hunt deer, but even if freezer was full I'd still be out looking for a big one :)

Taylor329
11-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Wait wait wait... How can I kill more than I can eat.. If... I... Hardly kill anything at all!? I can't even kill what I need as a base line!

...Hello darkness my old friend... I've come to talk with you again...

quadrakid
11-19-2019, 05:27 PM
""""whats everyone take on killing animals just for the sake of it"""

These are the first words that start this thread. Ask yourself this,do these sound like the words of someone who actually has been hunting and harvested an animal? I don,t know any hunters that kill just for the sake of it. These are the words of an anti hunter who has some of you real hunters agreeing and bickering over it. I have yet to meet a hunter who kills for the sake of it.

dougan
11-19-2019, 05:44 PM
^^^^ this^^^^ any leftover meat gets turned into pepperoni. That said I get super excited to harvest a deer ,elk ect but not without a bit of gratitude and sympathy towards the animals I take. Never ever just for the sake of it get real.

kosser
11-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Have you filled your freezer yet?
got some meat to hold me over a few months. i eat meat 2 to 3 times a week. I'm an avid fisherman also, like to mix it up..Just saying human population isn't getting smaller its growing, game animals are losing habitat quickly, we all have it pretty good in this province with our resources its gonna change tho.

limit time
11-19-2019, 05:57 PM
got some meat to hold me over a few months. i eat meat 2 to 3 times a week. I'm an avid fisherman also, like to mix it up..Just saying human population isn't getting smaller its growing, game animals are losing habitat quickly, we all have it pretty good in this province with our resources its gonna change tho.
O ya ? What’s the insider scoop you have ? Population is huge in the US and they have shitloads of deer and other animals.

maybe ask you people for some more meat? Since they have so much.

ratherbefishin
11-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Or killing more than you can cool and end up losing it

tigrr
11-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Well I met a bunch of lower mainlanders who came up to the cariboo region to hunt. They had 2 moose, 4 mule deer and a bunch of grouse and were looking for whitetail to finish off the 10 animals they had tags for. Greed is rampant everywhere. Justifying the cost of the trip?

kosser
11-19-2019, 06:28 PM
exactly what I'm talking about...

Wild one
11-19-2019, 06:41 PM
Well I met a bunch of lower mainlanders who came up to the cariboo region to hunt. They had 2 moose, 4 mule deer and a bunch of grouse and were looking for whitetail to finish off the 10 animals they had tags for. Greed is rampant everywhere. Justifying the cost of the trip?

depending on the size of the group and their families that may not be that bad

My family of 4 eats a lot of meat in a year

charlie_horse
11-19-2019, 06:47 PM
I'll gladly fill a tag in a surplus year to tide me over when the freezer is skimp. No two seasons are the same. I've eaten muley tags because I wanted bigger horn in surplus but would happily of filled it even though I didn't need the meat right then. It doesn't go to waste and it lasts a lot longer in the freezer than people give credit for if wrapped properly. None of anyone's business just do your own thing.

dougan
11-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Legal is legal. Stop being a puss

dougan
11-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Critters were made to fit in one pound packs . Start figuring out how to fill the one pound packs and you will stop being a sniveling baby.

RyoTHC
11-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Legal is legal. Stop being a puss

but if I don’t agree with others hunt, can’t I be vocal and force them to change ?

limit time
11-19-2019, 07:15 PM
but if I don’t agree with others hunt, can’t I be vocal and force them to change ?

libtards do this all the time.

limit time
11-19-2019, 07:17 PM

You didn’t say how many people in that hunt camp ? Wait ! You almost had me ! Ain’t no moose left in the boo.

Huevos
11-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Tag count in my house. 4 elk, 3 moose, 4 white tails, 3 mule deer, 3 goat, 4 bear. I have kids who want to hunt, and want to learn to be effective hunters. Would I take away an opportunity for a kid to take an animal? Definately not. We have had a good year. (we always have a good year) 1 elk, 1 moose, 1 white tail, 1 mule deer. 3 of those animals were firsts for the kids. All of them will be eaten. I always thought that harvested animals were regulated by the ministry of environment, not random citizens who want to force their views on others. Just heard a similar story on the news. Some animal rights activists chained themselves to a bank in Kelowna because they sponsored a rib BBQ. Probably going to cook more ribs than they can eat.....

Pauly
11-19-2019, 07:32 PM
You didn’t say how many people in that hunt camp ? Wait ! You almost had me ! Ain’t no moose left in the boo.
I’m more than happy to fill all my tags in a year. This year I took a mule deer two whitetail an Immy moose and a black bear. One bear short of a perfect year. Nothing ever goes to waste I eat it or give lots to friends. I think the problem with a few of these guys is they are unable to fill their tags because if they had filled their tags they wouldn’t start such a stupid post. I don’t know one hunter who doesn’t like filling tags. Last year I shot jack shit that’s how it goes. Nobody has the right to dictate how people fill or don’t fill tags . I recommend filling as many as one can

jac
11-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Lots of talk back and forth if you have tags and you fill them good for you. Being legal and sustainable are to different things. Not up to us on this forum to decide but i hope they improve the management system in this province sooner than later.

Pauly
11-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Lots of talk back and forth if you have tags and you fill them good for you. Being legal and sustainable are to different things. Not up to us on this forum to decide but i hope they improve the management system in this province sooner than later.
Management is not the problem. Pine beetle was and is the problem. Extensive logging removed thermal cover opened up the terrain for long shots and access to hunters. Open terrain makes for hard crusty snow easy running for preadators. What did you think was going to happen to moose and deer with that kind of timber harvests. Populations will rebound as new plantations fill in . My moose spot is finally bouncing back but it took 25 years to do so. it’s only common sense. Habitat is the key and we wiped that out with the pine beetle and now we’re logging all the fir winter range. As long as vast sums of money are tied to timber and mineral exploration it ain’t going to change any time soon.
professional RPF who quit the industry long ago because of politics.

jac
11-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Management is not the problem. Pine beetle was and is the problem. Extensive logging removed thermal cover opened up the terrain for long shots and access to hunters. Open terrain makes for hard crusty snow easy running for preadators. What did you think was going to happen to moose and deer with that kind of timber harvests. Populations will rebound as new plantations fill in . My moose spot is finally bouncing back but it took 25 years to do so. it’s only common sense. Habitat is the key and we wiped that out with the pine beetle and now we’re logging all the fir winter range. As long as vast sums of money are tied to timber and mineral exploration it ain’t going to change any time soon.
professional RPF who quit the industry long ago because of politics.

ya I agree with you about the logging and lose of winter range issue. I would think that this all should be taken into account by the people managing the wildlife in this province. If you think the logging is putting a lot of added stress on the wildlife population why would you suggest to fill as many tags as you can?

tigrr
11-19-2019, 08:16 PM
The terrible part is the people who throw it all out after a year in the freezer. I know a few who toss anything more than a year old. To the dump it goes after a year. Not even donating it to a soup kitchen.
Why kill it if you can't finish it in the time before the next kill. Wasteful.
Oh ya limit time there was 4 guys.

Wild one
11-19-2019, 08:21 PM
The terrible part is the people who throw it all out after a year in the freezer. I know a few who toss anything more than a year old. To the dump it goes after a year. Not even donating it to a soup kitchen.

I don’t have a problem with guys who use what they shoot and won’t judge how much they need but the freezer burnt and tossing out meat crowd piss me off

Pauly
11-19-2019, 08:24 PM
ya I agree with you about the logging and lose of winter range issue. I would think that this all should be taken into account by the people managing the wildlife in this province. If you think the logging is putting a lot of added stress on the wildlife population why would you suggest to fill as many tags as you can?
I say that because the habitat is coming back as well as the deer. 75 percent of logged areas are now 30 to 10 year old pine plantation. The deer love it it’s a forest again albeit a smaller version but good cover nonetheless. Almost impossible to hunt effectively and the game knows it. Guys that complain about no game aren’t doing their homework or even getting out of their trucks.. hunting takes one hell of a pile of work and due diligence to be successful. I think a lot of guys on this site get that and lots don’t. Each to his or her own abilities . Are numbers down, I’m sure in some areas they are but it’s not in most places.

Fella
11-19-2019, 08:32 PM
I don’t have a problem with guys who use what they shoot and won’t judge how much they need but the freezer burnt and tossing out meat crowd piss me off
I won’t throw out freezer burnt meat, thaw it, trim the outer dry crust and chuck it into a stew low and slow for a few hours.

quadrakid
11-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Is it not enough to go after Liberals and asian poachers and rampant native overhunting,and Quebecers? Nope , now you guys are turning on other hunters. You are like some mutant rat population that kills everything then turns on their own kind until only one rat remains.

HarryToolips
11-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Please punch those ppl that toss the meat out after a year for me...

Winters, preds, logging and pine beetle all effect game numbers but the biggest impact is habitat loss, especially on winter range, usually from human development...

For the most part, I wouldn't think that regulated hunting is the issue...I usually shoot 2 deer and maybe a bear a year, my family eats every bit of it...

Wild one
11-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Is it not enough to go after Liberals and asian poachers and rampant native overhunting,and Quebecers? Nope , now you guys are turning on other hunters. You are like some mutant rat population that kills everything then turns on their own kind until only one rat remains.

Hey theses days it’s all about equality so you have to spread the hate around :wink:

Gateholio
11-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Hold you over a few months sounds like you haven't got any meat this fall, which makes me wonder if your rant is more about others that are more successful than you, killing game "before" you can get it.

Gateholio
11-19-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm eating elk from 2017 and it is superb

11-19-2019, 09:36 PM
And he only eats meat 2 or 3 times a week..
He is imparting his eating habits on to someone else...
I eat meat every day..... 2 to 3 is a bloody veigitarian

180grainer
11-19-2019, 10:09 PM

I've never personally met anyone that had filled their freezer but continued to hunt and kill wildlife just cause they wanted to kill more. I smell Douce.

kosser
11-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Hold you over a few months sounds like you haven't got any meat this fall, which makes me wonder if your rant is more about others that are more successful than you, killing game "before" you can get it.
naw I'm good bud, picked up three tags for the game that was in the region i hunted was lucky and grateful for filling one, gives me meat till next season no need to and try fill the other two tags. let em go, let em breed more for next year and maybe year after that. maybe you'll get a crack at the two other game animals that i got tags decided not to pursue. the issue i have is with wasting meat. everyone on here judging by all the posts respects with what we have, and understand how privileged we are. the hunting community on the forum is strong and striving, good to see. my issue was simply the waste. all you saying I'm jealous are completely out to lunch, far from it.

kosser
11-19-2019, 10:20 PM
And he only eats meat 2 or 3 times a week..
He is imparting his eating habits on to someone else...
I eat meat every day..... 2 to 3 is a bloody veigitarian
wish me and you could meet in person and have a chat my friend....

kosser
11-19-2019, 10:37 PM
naw I'm good buds, i bought three tags for the game that habits the area i was hunting, was lucky enough to fill one of em. its all i need to get me thru next season. the other two i won't pursue, let em breed, let em grow, let em populate. more for next year maybe you'll get a crack at one of em. The issue i had was waste of meat. every body on this forum seems ethical and appreciative of what we have and respect it. by all means fill all tags if the animals are not wasted. for all you saying I'm jealous are completely out to lunch and far from the truth. Conservation boyz and girls thats all i was saying....

Fella
11-19-2019, 10:50 PM
To talk about your favourite broccoli recipes?

kosser
11-19-2019, 10:52 PM
To talk about your favourite broccoli recipes?
maybe, seems like he's got a lot to say to me

Muliechaser
11-19-2019, 11:16 PM

Did the Pharmacy run out of your medication again?

Piperdown
11-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Well lets hope the anti's are reading this, they will have a hay day with this thread, time to lock it up

decker9
11-20-2019, 07:32 AM
It’s funny, the OP didn’t once call any one person out, yet lots get offended.... ime, it usually tells a tale.

I totally hear your point kosser, we’r eating bison tag soup, for the exact reason of your post, and quite fine with it, filling tags isn’t as hard as some think.

hawk-i
11-20-2019, 07:49 AM
I've got 5 deep freezers��

Piperdown
11-20-2019, 08:40 AM
It’s funny, the OP didn’t once call any one person out, yet lots get offended.... ime, it usually tells a tale.

I totally hear your point kosser, we’r eating bison tag soup, for the exact reason of your post, and quite fine with it, filling tags isn’t as hard as some think.

Someone gets it, thumbs up my friend!! Oh by the way big ass grizz on the cam at the green house in Ootsa :)

limit time
11-20-2019, 09:05 AM

100 % I do agree. “You guys” as in “ you people “? Lol

limit time
11-20-2019, 09:08 AM

conservatives are racist.

Wild one
11-20-2019, 09:08 AM

This I have respect for and people should follow your example. If you feel you have a good amount of meat to fit your needs there is no point taking more that is the way it should be

If hunters want to be seen as conservationists showing we take from the bush in moderation and not in gluttony just because we legally can is part of that. This is not attacking hunters or a legal hunt it’s about doing things in a manner that has respect for the game populations for the future of all hunters

Some may get offended when some speak against another hunters actions but we do need to consider how the hunting community conducts themselves and represents hunting as well. Sweeping issues under a rug does not work people still hear and see issues. As for the argument we need hunter numbers to defend our future not if they are slobbish and drag the community down

Respect for your fellow hunters is important but so is ethical debate

limit time
11-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Threads like this prove hunting in BC is ***d. I don’t mean this site.

Wild one
11-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Threads like this prove hunting in BC is ***d. I don’t mean this site.

Been saying for years hunting in BC is on a downward spiral and every year I hunted out there confirmed it

A huge part of why so many areas are beyond BC for management and strength of hunter representation is a very different mind set.

limit time
11-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Been saying for years hunting in BC is on a downward spiral and every year I hunted out there confirmed it

A huge part of why so many areas are beyond BC for management and strength of hunter representation is a very different mind set.

I don’t say it because lack of animals. It’s the bullsht infighting.

Wild one
11-20-2019, 09:41 AM
I don’t say it because lack of animals. It’s the bullsht infighting.

BS infighting and the increase in poor ethics/actions pissing of the general public is what I am talking about. It may sound like infighting to some but a cleaning of the ranks is needed

I think we can agree unity and direction is needed to improve the future of hunting in B.C. even if we don’t agree on how it should be accomplished

Wild one
11-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Some really need to experience hunting communities outside of BC to see the difference. You will still find some infighting but way more involvement in the hunting orgs and focus on improving conservation

BC is often a free for all screw the other guy, nothing is a hunter’s fault and get what you can before it’s gone mindset

Bugle M In
11-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Have to look at it this way.
Sure, there are folks that cut there tags, and as one voice said, it isn't that hard if you have the time to do so.
Remember, for all those groups/individuals that feel the need to cut all their tags, there is also another group out there that does
not feel like they need to cut tags.
Most years, I can cut a WT and a MD tag, no problem, with limited time.
Bit I don't, nor did my dad (this year was an exception for him due to grand daughter).
Heck, he hadn't take a MD in 25 years now!...not because he couldn't (he had more than a few easy opportunities)
Same with WT, we pass on legal ones all the time while out hunting Elk.
I haven't shot one in 20 years now, not anyone that comes with us, and not because we don't have chances.

I think it balances out in the end.
Should some hunters think about being greedy at time...yes, and I have no issue saying that.
But then some folks are just greedy by nature.

Had a FN tell me one season he had already taken 20+ MD! (bs'ing...no idea but I saw him out every day, so I think he wasn't)

Unregulated hunting is a bigger issue folks, and there is a lot of it going on out there.
Heck, there are still clowns in our community using atv in atv banned areas, and they aren't clueless!...they know it, and know where they are going to hit honey holes)
How is being poached....how much are FN actually harvesting???
Those are the issues that effect wildlife management and the rest of us more down the road.

And we should also be more concerned about all the loss of habitat, more then what another fellow hunter does...."legally".
But I wont dump on the OP....
People should ask themselves...
"do I really need this in the freezer??? or is it just an ego thing????"

If you eat, take it, if it is legal to do so.
IF you are out for the hunting experience, rather than punching tags, then get out and enjoy it.
Too much time being wasted being pissed all the time....and yea there is a lot to be pissed about thee days.

Just remember, human nature will never change.
Only the laws to keep them in check.

Keta1969
11-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Agree with this post. Hunting and licenses and tags are a privilege to most of us. Use it ethically and wisely or it can be taken away. Why take more than you need?

HappyJack
11-20-2019, 01:56 PM
I've never personally met anyone that had filled their freezer but continued to hunt and kill wildlife just cause they wanted to kill more. I smell Douce.

I bought a second freezer so we wouldn't run out of room, who do people think they are telling us how much meat we NEED. Sounds like the firearms banners telling us what we NEED. Shooting cows? Why do outfitters get cow moose tags? Guess they have clients that want a cow moose trophy?

Unregulated hunting is causing the problem...oh man...it's the flipping predators and their population explosion, unregulated hunting has always been there.

Hugh Mann
11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
I fill as many tags as I can every year. Currently I have two freezers almost full to the brim. Why? Because I know if I don't it only takes one bad year for me to start having to buy meat again. I've seen and heard far too many people eating tag soup to pass on filling tags. Besides, anything extra beyond my freezer capacity gets turned into delicious cured meats. Not one scrap goes to waste.

180grainer
11-20-2019, 10:24 PM

I read your post and it just seemed a natural response for me to wonder why you're here.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-21-2019, 01:53 AM
I like how when someone posts a topic for the sake of discussion (kinda the point of a forum, no?), anyone with nothing intelligent to say has to come out and start calling people trolls, jealous, puss, anti, vegetarian, libtard, and the list goes on. Lot of real pieces of work on this site.

Hunter gatherer
11-21-2019, 05:23 AM
" Mutant rat population " wow you are some kind of wonderful,were you stuck in the birth canal too long?

Norwestalta
11-21-2019, 07:34 AM
In Alberta a guy could potentially get 3 white tail tags, elk tag and a mule deer tag over the counter with no draws. Completely doable if you don't mind traveling. Throw in a moose tag and you have a awful lot of meat. Seems like a little much to me.

quadrakid
11-21-2019, 08:45 AM
So all you folks that are worried about hunters "overharvesting", do you think the government should make some changes to the regulations? Do you want to see us lose more hunting opportunities? Here we have a thread that is perfect for the antis. A bunch of hunters complaining that hunters overharvest.

fuzzybiscuit
11-21-2019, 09:23 AM
So all you folks that are worried about hunters "overharvesting", do you think the government should make some changes to the regulations? Do you want to see us lose more hunting opportunities? Here we have a thread that is perfect for the antis. A bunch of hunters complaining that hunters overharvest.

QK, I don't always see eye to eye with you on some of your posts, but I do respect your right to have an opinion just like everyone else. Having said that, I think the four posts you’ve made in this thread are spot-on.

The biggest anti couldn’t have set this thread up any better and we’re just playing into their hands...

kosser
11-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Nope regs are fine, Were lucky to even have em the way they are. self control and human nature, conservation is what i was getting at. all this is from my experience, i live in the lower main land. 100% agree with the fella that said its different in the interior and smaller communities, they appreciate and respect what we have better.(again, my opinion) also the two guys that tried making it a race issue effing beat it with that shit....quick on the draw to make anything or everything a race issue usually for your own benefit.
admin. can kill this thread any time......

11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

I'm sure it would go better than all of this.
what you have done here is started a big infight. You admittedly eat meat only 2-3 times a week... I eat it every day. By that statement I eat more animals then you do. so you could easily look at me and say I over harvest because I eat more meat.

You threw down the gauntlet, you didn't ask a question you came out bullets first. what did you think was coming?

you are correct in that some people over harvest, to which I fully agree that it is bad... but what you do not know is that those people could over harvest ( and still be wrong ) if we as hunters would use this same energy in better ways..
Habitat, Predation and Unregulated hunting... THAT IS THE PROBLEM... so you can pull the "meat (lol) me in person" card all you like. because if you did, you would learn.

all these social media platforms will kill us.... they could help us, but we fight too much amongst ourselves for that......

Pauly
11-21-2019, 10:23 AM
This post needs to end. It’s all our rights and privilege to hunt and fill tags, and to be unapologetic about it. Plain and simple. I guarantee 95% of the guys and gals on this site would agree. I am 100% for the hunter. The other 5% can go jump in a lake. I can’t control what other people do but I can control myself and that’s where the real conservation starts, for all of us!!

butcher
11-21-2019, 10:38 AM
This post needs to end. It’s all our rights and privilege to hunt and fill tags, and to be unapologetic about it. Plain and simple. I guarantee 95% of the guys and gals on this site would agree. I am 100% for the hunter. The other 5% can go jump in a lake. I can’t control what other people do but I can control myself and that’s where the real conservation starts, for all of us!!

good call.

wideopenthrottle
11-21-2019, 10:40 AM
properly wrapped meat lasts longer than 2 years...I have eaten 6 year old roast that only needed a little trimming and was awesome...don't waste food period is the right message!!!! "you better eat that "lil johnny"...don't you know that there are starving kids in Africa?" is what I was told as a kid when it comes to wasting food of any sort.

11-21-2019, 10:42 AM

And that is the call

Keta1969
11-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Alot of people think it's a right.It's not. It's a priviledge. People need to understand there is a difference. I suppose what you do with the meat after it is legally tagged is then your right. Don't think the OP was wanting apologies. I never see these threads as anti hunter whether it's restricted access areas, game cams, season limits,point restrictions or whatever. Nothing wrong with a healthy back and forth and concern for wildlife.

Bugle M In
11-21-2019, 12:45 PM
I like how when someone posts a topic for the sake of discussion (kinda the point of a forum, no?), anyone with nothing intelligent to say has to come out and start calling people trolls, jealous, puss, anti, vegetarian, libtard, and the list goes on. Lot of real pieces of work on this site.

Looking 4 Jerky,
I completely agree with your statement.
This is a forum, and it is to discuss not only hunting experiences, but also share differences of opinion, imo.
Like this thread, someone may feel some folks "take too much" due to having an uncut tag.
The next person may explain "why they harvest as much as they do".
We cant learn anything if we "never listen to the other side"!
That is just not conducive to "learning" and understanding.
Lets not be the same as the Anti crowd, and never listen to the other side.

Quadrakid,
I get what you were saying.
We do tend to bash each other too much in the hunting arena.
Bowhunt vs rifle, or in this case "taking too much" etc etc, isn't really helping, especially when the responses get "personal" rather than just
expressing why "I choose to do it this way, but I don't expect the next person to share the same thought".
Instead, we bash.
I suppose some stuff, just by discussion gets personal and passionate should I say.

The truth is, we keep imposing more and more restrictions over the years.
And I think many members on here might be too young to remember just how "liberal" our seasons used to be!
And that there has been a great deal of changes over the years to make things better.
Some things have helped, for sure!

BUT, many issues are not being address, nor ever to be corrected thru just "further hunting restrictions".
THAT is what some are really not comprehending.
Maybe it is just the lack of age, and I don't mean that the younger gen etc is stupid, by no means!!
I think some have not experienced what actually came from some of the Reg changes in the past.
What worked, what doesn't.

Unregulated hunting, by poachers or by FN is still a constant threat to wildlife management, imo.
How can you manage when you don't know what is happening out there and what actually is hitting the ground and when?
And we sure as hell don't have the money to do annual "fly overs" to get an idea of counts and how to modify our harvest from season to season.
Meaning sometimes reducing here, but expanding there.

It is a real mess these days, and we all need to get on the same page and stop thinking limiting another hunter is going to be the way to fix it.
Especially when some folks harvest more, BUT, is still legal.
Just accept some do, and have a right and a personal need to do so.
But yes, some need to reconsider just how much they really need, and more importantly, WHY they are taking the game.
For meat...great.
For ego....then one needs to grow up.

I don't cut many tags although I could every year.
But the lack of cutting tags doesn't mean I haven't learned a whole lot.
I always pursue game and learn from it.
Where to find them, and how to stalk them, where I went right and where I went wrong.
One can have just as much knowledge and success from a lack of cutting tags as another who does cut their tags.
It's all about personal objective.
Respect that.

kosser
11-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Looking 4 Jerky,
I completely agree with your statement.
This is a forum, and it is to discuss not only hunting experiences, but also share differences of opinion, imo.
Like this thread, someone may feel some folks "take too much" due to having an uncut tag.
The next person may explain "why they harvest as much as they do".
We cant learn anything if we "never listen to the other side"!
That is just not conducive to "learning" and understanding.
Lets not be the same as the Anti crowd, and never listen to the other side.

Quadrakid,
I get what you were saying.
We do tend to bash each other too much in the hunting arena.
Bowhunt vs rifle, or in this case "taking too much" etc etc, isn't really helping, especially when the responses get "personal" rather than just
expressing why "I choose to do it this way, but I don't expect the next person to share the same thought".
Instead, we bash.
I suppose some stuff, just by discussion gets personal and passionate should I say.

The truth is, we keep imposing more and more restrictions over the years.
And I think many members on here might be too young to remember just how "liberal" our seasons used to be!
And that there has been a great deal of changes over the years to make things better.
Some things have helped, for sure!

BUT, many issues are not being address, nor ever to be corrected thru just "further hunting restrictions".
THAT is what some are really not comprehending.
Maybe it is just the lack of age, and I don't mean that the younger gen etc is stupid, by no means!!
I think some have not experienced what actually came from some of the Reg changes in the past.
What worked, what doesn't.

Unregulated hunting, by poachers or by FN is still a constant threat to wildlife management, imo.
How can you manage when you don't know what is happening out there and what actually is hitting the ground and when?
And we sure as hell don't have the money to do annual "fly overs" to get an idea of counts and how to modify our harvest from season to season.
Meaning sometimes reducing here, but expanding there.

It is a real mess these days, and we all need to get on the same page and stop thinking limiting another hunter is going to be the way to fix it.
Especially when some folks harvest more, BUT, is still legal.
Just accept some do, and have a right and a personal need to do so.
But yes, some need to reconsider just how much they really need, and more importantly, WHY they are taking the game.
For meat...great.
For ego....then one needs to grow up.

I don't cut many tags although I could every year.
But the lack of cutting tags doesn't mean I haven't learned a whole lot.
I always pursue game and learn from it.
Where to find them, and how to stalk them, where I went right and where I went wrong.
One can have just as much knowledge and success from a lack of cutting tags as another who does cut their tags.
It's all about personal objective.
Respect that.
every post you made and everything you said i completely agree with.

charlie_horse
11-21-2019, 04:43 PM
properly wrapped meat lasts longer than 2 years...I have eaten 6 year old roast that only needed a little trimming and was awesome...don't waste food period is the right message!!!! "you better eat that "lil johnny"...don't you know that there are starving kids in Africa?" is what I was told as a kid when it comes to wasting food of any sort.

Thank God there is someone else with my opinion on how long meat lasts when wrapped properly. I had some 5 years old sheep steaks that I found deep in the freezer earlier this year. Tasted and cooked fine.

BRrooster
11-21-2019, 06:10 PM
changed my post, wasted meat is a bad thing. that practice would not considered conservation.

Squamch
11-21-2019, 07:22 PM
I've never shot more than I can eat. I have accomplished this by eating everything I put in the freezer. It's a good system.

SSG-man
11-21-2019, 07:40 PM
You take what you need and leave the rest for another year. Tag out if you can/want to.

Greed is a horrible addiction.

I went hunting with a guy when I was young and he would use all the young guys tags just to fill his freezer.
Give you a few cuts and say there's your share.

i hunt for the experience....meat is cheaper in the stores.

jac
11-21-2019, 08:12 PM
You take what you need and leave the rest for another year. Tag out if you can/want to.

I went hunting with a guy when I was young and he would use all the young guys tags just to fill his freezer.

I’m of the same mindset as you on this topic

pro 111
11-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Self control is lacking with some hunters there is 2 things that commonly have me shake my head. One you mentioned is those who take more than they needed and it goes to waste. Then there are those who complain about extremely low numbers and then go shoot a doe/cow in the area

Just because it’s legal does not always make it right. Conservation mind ethics shown by example go farther then complaining about issues.

I believe unregulated hunting is still a much bigger issueBang! Nail right on the head.

pro 111
11-21-2019, 08:37 PM
The best one I always here is . Someone else was gonna shoot it. So I did.LOL
Thats Stupid.. If you kill it its 100Percent dead.LOL..

pro 111
11-21-2019, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=decker9;2132543]100% agree kosser. Over harvesting is a big problem. What really irks me is when people try to unload “last years” game meat on me for trap bait, just so they can go hunt again. I see it every single year.[/QUOTE

I have said it on here before and caught flak for the word BAN.. But I think in BC if you shoot a big game animal you should have to choose. You want an Elk . then no moose..You want a moose then no elk. same as a caribou.
The only way you should be able to harvest another big game animal is if you harvest a wolf , cougar , or blackbear the season before. Not a perfect model but I think it would help.

Totally agree with u on the the dump your freezer mentality .

jac
11-21-2019, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=pro 111;2133111][QUOTE=decker9;2132543]100% agree kosser. Over harvesting is a big problem. What really irks me is when people try to unload “last years” game meat on me for trap bait, just so they can go hunt again. I see it every single year.[/QUOTE

I have said it on here before and caught flak for the word BAN.. But I think in BC if you shoot a big game animal you should have to choose. You want an Elk . then no moose..You want a moose then no elk. same as a caribou.
The only way you should be able to harvest another big game animal is if you harvest a wolf , cougar , or blackbear the season before. Not a perfect model but I think it would help.

Totally agree with u on the the dump your freezer mentality .[/QUOT

I would be game for that!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Alot of people think it's a right.It's not. It's a priviledge. People need to understand there is a difference. I suppose what you do with the meat after it is legally tagged is then your right. Don't think the OP was wanting apologies. I never see these threads as anti hunter whether it's restricted access areas, game cams, season limits,point restrictions or whatever. Nothing wrong with a healthy back and forth and concern for wildlife.

Bang on.

Healthy AND RESPECTFUL debate is the whole point here. Some members think that just because everyone doesn't see things their way that "the antis" are infiltrating the site, or that the antis will see that hunters don't all believe the exact same things and they'll go public with that news flash!! :roll:

Oh my goodness, there is someone who believes we shouldn't shoot everything just because we're allowed!!! Quick, silence him before the antis go to the gov and get the regs changed, all because of that guy on huntingbc!!! :lol:

steel_ram
11-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Not just in hunting, but greed and entitlement in all walks of like eventually screws it up for everyone.

11-22-2019, 08:33 AM

I agree with you,, and ya I did get a bit carried away.... but I did kinda laugh at you post a bit.... you know your on the right site when calling someone a "vegetarian" is taken as a slam... lol

quadrakid
11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Oh my goodness, there is someone who believes we shouldn't shoot everything just because we're allowed!!!

We all agree with your statement and 99 per cent of hunters do not shoot more than they need. That is why i dislike this thread. It will give some people the idea that overhunting by hunters is rampant. It makes a big deal out of a rare circumstance.
And like i said it gets some people thinking we should regulate more,got that moose,no deer hunting for you! Debate is fine,why not debate the many problems facing the hunting community,the one in a thousand with more than they can eat is not in that group.

steel_ram
11-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Some policing within our own community without being labelled an "anti" is necessary. I have no problem shaming those that are greedy. Though they are probably self righteous and probably feel no shame. They are within the bounds of the law so it must be ok, right?

hickman
11-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Yep, same here.... I am an immigrant, too. Never hunted where I am from.
Canada does not really have "mass immigration" if you compare it to any country in Europe. Just saying but don't want to trigger political debate here.
I am hunting purely for meat so I don't have to buy mass produced. But some people might have different motivation for hunting. Do I agree with hunting and killing for the fun of it? Personally, no but each their own.
I also pass on animals that are either too young, small or it just doesn't feel right.

Bugle M In
11-22-2019, 12:00 PM
The one thing that sets HBC apart is that we can and do discuss "issues".
Whether it be habitat issues, access, preds and yes, even entitlement and personal agendas.

Any where else, such as FB or twitter, all you generally see is someone's success or little snip its of info of events etc.
Generally nothing else is discussed on them.

Here, we can talk and help folks with less experience or help on a great deal of issues surrounding hunting.
And there is a lot of them!.

But people are all different, some can convey their thoughts well on the keyboard while others have troubles expressing what they mean or how they come across.
We also have to understand that inside the hunting community, there are/can be huge differences in opinion.

We don't have to accept another persons opinion, but it doesn't mean we can't "listen" to their thoughts and concerns, as this thread and OP
is a great example.
But listening never hurt anyone (as far as I know) and sometimes can give a perspective that some of us may never have given thought to.
There have been times where I was of one opinion, only to have listened to another's point, and have considered it and taken that advice or
thought.
Other times I just move on, and stick to my guns and my true gut feelings.

One thing I generally realize, regardless of difference of opinions, is that most people generally care about the state of our wildlife, and do
care about hunting and is something we all should keep in mind when speaking to others on here.

Granted, you get into the "open topic or political threads" and there are some individuals who do play on HBC that I do think have no other
interests then to "troll" and truly have little in their life that resembles the most of us as hunters on HBC.
That is a different story.
But to be able to discuss whether some "harvest too much" and for what reasons isn't the end of the world on HBC.
Who knows, maybe the OP member has read some posts on this thread and now sees it in a different light.
Or, maybe not.

I can tell you one thing, people will generally listen if you reply "respectfully".
Telling someone they have their "head up their ass" generally leads to the other person to just solidify how they feel and being disrespectful
just proves to them that some folks just don't give a shit.

I do often wonder if some folks are just they way they are behind a keyboard, and different when in face to face conversation.
I think some are.
However, I think some are exactly the same in person.
Just hard to know who is what when all we ever do is converse from are keyboards.

Right now, our main focus should be pounding the government/ministry doors continuously to get funding and get some proper action plans
together to help our state of affairs for all residents of BC, not just special interest groups as is the case for so long now and seems there is
no end in sight!

kosser
11-22-2019, 12:59 PM

bang on with this post!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-22-2019, 11:21 PM
The one thing that sets HBC apart is that we can and do discuss "issues".
Whether it be habitat issues, access, preds and yes, even entitlement and personal agendas.

Any where else, such as FB or twitter, all you generally see is someone's success or little snip its of info of events etc.
Generally nothing else is discussed on them.

Here, we can talk and help folks with less experience or help on a great deal of issues surrounding hunting.
And there is a lot of them!.

But people are all different, some can convey their thoughts well on the keyboard while others have troubles expressing what they mean or how they come across.
We also have to understand that inside the hunting community, there are/can be huge differences in opinion.

We don't have to accept another persons opinion, but it doesn't mean we can't "listen" to their thoughts and concerns, as this thread and OP
is a great example.
But listening never hurt anyone (as far as I know) and sometimes can give a perspective that some of us may never have given thought to.
There have been times where I was of one opinion, only to have listened to another's point, and have considered it and taken that advice or
thought.
Other times I just move on, and stick to my guns and my true gut feelings.

One thing I generally realize, regardless of difference of opinions, is that most people generally care about the state of our wildlife, and do
care about hunting and is something we all should keep in mind when speaking to others on here.

Granted, you get into the "open topic or political threads" and there are some individuals who do play on HBC that I do think have no other
interests then to "troll" and truly have little in their life that resembles the most of us as hunters on HBC.
That is a different story.
But to be able to discuss whether some "harvest too much" and for what reasons isn't the end of the world on HBC.
Who knows, maybe the OP member has read some posts on this thread and now sees it in a different light.
Or, maybe not.

I can tell you one thing, people will generally listen if you reply "respectfully".
Telling someone they have their "head up their ass" generally leads to the other person to just solidify how they feel and being disrespectful
just proves to them that some folks just don't give a shit.

I do often wonder if some folks are just they way they are behind a keyboard, and different when in face to face conversation.
I think some are.
However, I think some are exactly the same in person.
Just hard to know who is what when all we ever do is converse from are keyboards.

Right now, our main focus should be pounding the government/ministry doors continuously to get funding and get some proper action plans
together to help our state of affairs for all residents of BC, not just special interest groups as is the case for so long now and seems there is
no end in sight!

Bugle, discussion does happen on this forum, but in my opinion FAR too often it turns into mud slinging between members. I agree with you totally. It seems like some members get angry and start getting personal as soon as something is said that doesn't align with their view! Having thick skin is necessary but I think we'd have more people offering their perspectives (enriching the conversation) if they didn't think they were going to get personally attacked for it.

Just food for thought.

Caribou_lou
11-22-2019, 11:58 PM
Just because I have a full freezer doesn't mean I won't chase Mule deer all November. We truly have a different outlook on hunting/harvesting.

For me It's a passion. It's a lifestyle. I can't comprehend when people refer to hunting as a "sport". I hunt for meat and if my freezer is full I'll hold out for a older mature buck. You wont find me at home watching football on a Sunday.

I have thick skin so ill ignore the post where hunters are judged because others think they harvest too much. I've been in their shoes. Not this year though. I'd be happy to see a legal buck. It would be my first ungulate of the year. Some years are like that. Take what you can when you can. Because you might be having a year like me...

I've been out for Goat, Caribou, Moose, Deer. Came close many times. You know what that gets ya.

Luckily I had a great year last year. Some might say I harvested too much because I still have meat left over. Looks like I was just stock piling for a year filled with bad luck.

HappyJack
11-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Things would be better if those GREEDY people that keep getting LEH draws would just stand aside for the less fortunate next season....don't even apply, save your money. ;-)