PDA

View Full Version : First Moose

76Chevy
10-02-2007, 11:40 PM
here he is.

first time out moose hunting plugged him at about 70yrds with an ole .303 topped with irons.

6x6 with about a 43" spread and really long tines for a moose I thought.
the antlers a still pretty red as well, looks like he hasnt been out of velvet very long witch I though was odd given the time of year but ive never moose hunted before so i dont really know if thats normal or not lol

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/chopperhead5450/IMG_0105.jpg

76chevy

Paulyman
10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Nice moose, when is the bbq?

gameslayer
10-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Great moose, He does look really red perhahaps he has been rubbing lots of alders.

Jagermeister
10-03-2007, 12:29 AM
The long tines and the hint of graying on his body coat suggests that this fellow is/was nearing old age until his demise.
Body color in prime moose is generally black and they start to fade (go gray) at about 9 or 10 years and I would estimate his age at nine. The body color of youngsters, those under the 3 or 4 years tend to show a little more brown. There was a moose age/color related chart floating around a while back, a google search may turn it up.
I got a moose a number of years ago that was a little grayer than this one. His tines were a little longer, the shovels hardly existed and as we boned him out, the shoulder blade had a yellow color and when struck with a knife had a very hollow sound to it. Of course, the damm thing was loaded with cysts and was un-edible, so I donated him to that little game farm that existed just south of Quesnel.
I think that it is pretty essential to get these older animals out of their coats and cooling as quickly as possible
IMO, the quicker that these animals are cooled, the more palatable the meat will be.

76Chevy
10-03-2007, 12:46 AM
The long tines and the hint of graying on his body coat suggests that this fellow is/was nearing old age until his demise.
Body color in prime moose is generally black and they start to fade (go gray) at about 9 or 10 years and I would estimate his age at nine. The body color of youngsters, those under the 3 or 4 years tend to show a little more brown. There was a moose age/color related chart floating around a while back, a google search may turn it up.
I got a moose a number of years ago that was a little grayer than this one. His tines were a little longer, the shovels hardly existed and as we boned him out, the shoulder blade had a yellow color and when struck with a knife had a very hollow sound to it. Of course, the damm thing was loaded with cysts and was un-edible, so I donated him to that little game farm that existed just south of Quesnel.
I think that it is pretty essential to get these older animals out of their coats and cooling as quickly as possible
IMO, the quicker that these animals are cooled, the more palatable the meat will be.

Hey thanks for the info.

this guy only had one small cyst on his leg. and he was gutted,quatered and hanging within a few hours. and another hour and a bit for skinning. (witch I did in rain storm freazing my butt off ). the meat seamed to be in really good condition when we brought it to the butcher. he said it was one of largerest ones he's had in this year so far.

76 Chevy.

ianwuzhere
10-03-2007, 07:04 AM
nice moose, congrats on yer first one.

Kitimat Killer
10-03-2007, 07:43 AM
nice moose way to go for your firts plus open sights thats really good

Jagermeister
10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey thanks for the info.

this guy only had one small cyst on his leg. and he was gutted,quatered and hanging within a few hours. and another hour and a bit for skinning. (witch I did in rain storm freazing my butt off ). the meat seamed to be in really good condition when we brought it to the butcher. he said it was one of largerest ones he's had in this year so far.

76 Chevy.
I think that you did well getting him cooled down and out of his hide. I see by the way the rifle sizes againt the rack that you will have a nice rifle rack. And I also noticed that the rifle appears to have no scope so good shooting and congratulations on your first moose, may there be many more.

76Chevy
10-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I think that you did well getting him cooled down and out of his hide. I see by the way the rifle sizes againt the rack that you will have a nice rifle rack. And I also noticed that the rifle appears to have no scope so good shooting and congratulations on your first moose, may there be many more.

Thank you very much.

yes it should be a very nice gun rack :grin:

and yes there is no scope, I prefer it that way.

76Chevy

BlacktailStalker
10-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Awesome swamp donkey ! Congrats !

newhunterette
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
congratulations - very nice lookin critter ya have there :)

Ali

Sharkey
10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Good Job!! Nice looking guy! What did he dress out at?
~D

Caveman
10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Good Job!! Nice looking guy! What did he dress out at?
~D

The "moose" or "hunter" :lol::lol:

Will
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Great Looking Bull !
Well done and enjoy the Steaks :cool:

Islandeer
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Nice Winkle!!

CanAm500
10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Congrats!!!

sparkes3
10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm gravy

bckev
10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Nice moose, looks a lot like the one I got this year. Very tasty

Thunderstix
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
wow what a great moose!

The Dawg
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your first moose....I just got my first about a week ago...quite the rush!