PDA

View Full Version : I swear those a@@holes know!!!!

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Buddy of mine and I went up to the Lillooet area for an artificial long weekend hunting. The plan: Drive up Thursday night, camp, be up early and hunt hard til Sunday.

Driving into Lillooet, we almost crash into a legal deer. How exciting. Great start, excitement all around.

For the . next three days, that's the only sign of deer we saw. Well, almost, but close. We were in at 4am, back at camp at 7pm, I hiked my butt off while my buddy is more the"sit and wait" kind of guy.
Tons of trails, little to no fresh sign in any of the area we went. At least the weather is great and everyone has a good time. Spirits are good..

Sunday we pack up and call it around 3pm. We hit the highway, drive out of town, only to be greeted by another deer. A 2 point, but STILL. He pranzes like one of Santa's Reindeer towards us. My buddy who is driving is fuming: "That's 2 min from where I was hunting!!!" and rolls down the window. He yells at the deer "Hey - BAM", and the deer doesn't even flinch. I swear he smiled and thought "nanananana you can't get me".

Very annoying!

I swear those guys know that they are save on a road!

We'll get you next year, buddy! Just wait!!!! You J u s t wait!

nwalter
11-18-2019, 04:52 PM
I know the feeling. Don’t see anything in my days off. Today I drive back to work and north of Kamloops on the highway 2 nice bucks nose to the ground crossing the highway, not worried about vehicles coming at them at 100+km/hr

albravo2
11-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Right? Truck packed with wife and dogs, gun stowed, leaving the cabin after the weekend. Our friends were driving first and our dogs love to play this game where they pretend our friends are prey and they bay constantly out the back windows as we follow them the 20kms from our cabin to the road. In short, we make a hell of a racket driving up that road. All of a sudden we come around the corner and my buddy is stopped. He gets out of his truck with his dash cam and shows me this beauty 4 pt that was standing in the middle of the road staring at him.

Damn right they know.

m5wilson
11-18-2019, 05:32 PM
I have seen a lot of 6 point bulls and 4 point muleys the day after season closes and spent many days during season seeing nothing only to come back to town and see some nice bucks walking around town. They definitely know where and when they are safe.

russm
11-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Ive driven by fields full of deer that know theyre safe on the way to where im hunting, come back to the cabin at the end of the day and theyre all right whete they were in the morning lok

Huntingtyler123
11-18-2019, 06:33 PM
There’s more deer in town then up the hills haha. I just went through this the other weekend up in Lillooet. How was the weather up there? Any colder , more snow?

caddisguy
11-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Dang psychic shape-shifting blacktails

Firstblood
11-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Deer arent stupid, they know whats threat to them and where they are safe. Last night I walked outside my front door with the dog and could literally smell staaaanky buck, smelled my hands and wasnt wearing any hunting gear so didnt think it was me, looked left in the parking lot and saw a 4x chasing two does no more than 50' away, didnt care we were there, they know, and they kept about their important business.

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-19-2019, 09:29 AM
There’s more deer in town then up the hills haha. I just went through this the other weekend up in Lillooet. How was the weather up there? Any colder , more snow?
Weather was awesome: Sunny, "warm" in the sun (8 deg celsius but TShirt wearable during lunch), frost at night. No snow. That said, when we were leaving you could see snow rolling in over the mountain tops so this week this is sure to change

hickman
11-19-2019, 10:44 AM
I had one of the biggest 4pts I have ever seen on my property in town. Does all over the place.
There are lots of deer in and around Lillooet all year round. There is always a little bit of luck involved.

Bugle M In
11-19-2019, 11:44 AM
My thought is this, especially when we talk about seeing big legal game the day after the season is pretty simple.
We might be out one weekend, say MD hunting, and it appears our honey hole is a secret.
But yet we still see no game???

Turns out the honey hole aint a secret, and that the area probably gets hit hard day in and day out, some days harder then others.
Which I have seen, cause the game to scoot over the edges of where they normally hang due to all the extra traffic.
Day after season or 2, no hunters, life goes back to normal.
Suddenly you see them.

You almost have to approach MD hunting as "where would I go and hide when things get busy"?
I do.
I have a good idea where the deer like it, but also look at where hunters walk 95% of the time.
Then look for areas that everyone avoids due to terrain, and where the deer go to be left alone, and quite often you find them.

Wild one
11-19-2019, 12:17 PM
My first step when picking a spot is what can I do to hide from everyone else and second is to pick the best looking habitat in the areas I think no one will go lol

Lillooet is definitely one of those areas with awesome pockets of deer and a bunch of areas that suck

bcshadow
11-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Could be worse ..... last year my son and I pack our truck , walk out of house to go hunting.... buck in opposite driveway staring at us.... and to make matters worse didnt see a buck at all when we were hunting. You are right, and i think they read and know the regulations before we do.

Bugle M In
11-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Friend just put up a FB post with a really nice buck, with multi point enjoying his willow tree/bush in the back yard.
Wonder why some get big!!!! way out of range or legal limits to hunt some.
Seems like more and more wild game are getting the "memo":p

HappyJack
11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
When your not seeing any it's because of karma, remember that beer can you tossed in the ditch? Remember the last deer you got, took pics with it's tongue hanging out and wearing your hat? You never even released it's spirit with a simple tobacco ceremony? Yup it's Karma, will bite you in the ass every time.

Hugh Mann
11-20-2019, 02:11 PM
Can confirm. In any whitetail season I saw at best, 12 does. As soon as it ended, fields full of them seeming without a care in the world.

Last week I got my LEH mule doe, and after the gunshot, starting to dress the deer and what comes stepping out of the bush? A 2 point buck. Looks at us, trots over to a bush and starts eating. I'm elbow deep in a dead deer and it takes my partner yelling at it to make it run off.