PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this cougar?

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure it followed us back to camp 3 weeks ago. Found it sniffing around my blind a few hours after I left too (and I was the only living thing there for days prior)

Looks like it's pregnant or swallowed a deer whole? And some abscess or wound above the right hip?

I don't know anything about cats other than they creep me out like ticks and spiders LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm2LoFNSyd8

dougan
11-17-2019, 08:26 PM
I think it should be put down . Just sayin.

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 08:46 PM
I think it should be put down . Just sayin.

Haha I might have considered it if it came around while I was in my blind yesterday or showed up somewhere along the way. I do keep a cougar tag around as they do seem to show up consistently this time of year in this spot. I don't know much about them but hear they are decent table fair.

I actually left my blind before last light yesterday after watching the vid LOL. I know the odds of it actually trying to jump me are pretty much zero, but it does seem to be pretty curious. It's in their nature I guess... it's also in my nature to be scared of these things so here we are

mpotzold
11-17-2019, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure it followed us back to camp 3 weeks ago. Found it sniffing around my blind a few hours after I left too (and I was the only living thing there for days prior)

Looks like it's pregnant or swallowed a deer whole? And some abscess or wound above the right hip?

I don't know anything about cats other than they creep me out like ticks and spiders LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm2LoFNSyd8

Thanks for the video!

A stealthy cat looking for its victim normally a deer. They say they can kill up to 1 deer per week.

I've only seen a few cats in the wild since '65 but I'm sure many have seen me. Only had 1 encounter when I relied on a 12 g double barrel shotgun to chase it away firing above its head from about 25 ft. according to Eve.

At another time only a couple miles or so from the area north of Gang a hunter from a nearby camp was charged by a large cougar & shot just in time.
So some may charge/attack a person usually the smallest given the opportunity.

They don't creep me out at all. They are beautiful animals.
When hunting I always carry a large knife & keep an eye in all directions.

S.W.A.T.
11-17-2019, 08:55 PM
I would take it. Some of the meat is great. Hide is good. If you have spare time practice tanning and leather making. Cougar would make nice gloves I'm thinking

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the video!

A stealthy cat looking for its victim normally a deer. They say they can kill up to 1 deer per week.

I've only seen a few cats in the wild since '65 but I'm sure many have seen me. Only had 1 encounter when I relied on a 12 g double barrel shotgun to chase it away firing above its head from about 25 ft. according to Eve.

At another time only a couple miles or so from the area north of Gang a hunter from a nearby camp was charged by a large cougar & shot just in time.
So some may charge/attack a person usually the smallest given the opportunity.

They don't creep me out at all. They are beautiful animals.
When hunting I always carry a large knife & keep an eye in all directions.

I have read that too, that they take 40-50 deer a year. Pretty amazing hunters. They launch like a bullet and they ARE the payload... bunch of razor sharp claws with a lot of weight and muscle behind them and the ability to disembowel and snap a neck like a twig in seconds. Crazy ability but human attacks incredibly rare... very shy and tend to avoid humanoids... that's what I read anyway. I keep my head on a swivel while hunting, but walking around in the dark I feel so vulnerable sometimes knowing these things are lurking around... this area in particular is old prepod.. the vegetation is waist high and there are clusters of fir trees everywhere. That space in the video is the only place you can see more than 15 yards, so you can imagine what is like walking through a maze of high vegetation hundreds of fir intersections back to camp in the dark. Reality is cougar probably seen me walk by a hundred times and laugh at me about being a crappy hunter LOL

but yeah I'm tiny (like 140lbs) and when I'm still hunting I'm often crunched down trying to be even smaller and concealed. For what it's worth one time we had a 25-30lb bobcat try to have a go at us until I stood up and yelled at it haha

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-17-2019, 09:07 PM
looks like a female to me Older one . hard to say tho

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 09:11 PM
looks like a female to me Older one . hard to say tho

I was wondering they same... maybe even pregnant? I think they can get knocked up any time of year. I would have to go look it up again but that is what I remember reading. I've had a few on cam and seen a couple in 3D and think this is probably the largest out of them... still smaller than some of the big toms I've seen hunters post up

RICKADY
11-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Looks like a great spot for the camera though,
keep hunting smart.

Bustercluck
11-17-2019, 09:50 PM
I’ve seen cat tracks in my foot prints in fresh snow a few times. Probably the most lethal hunter in the North American woods. I’m just glad they don’t like eating humans.

great video

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Looks like a great spot for the camera though,
keep hunting smart.

Thanks! It's a tough MU to hunt but good spot for the cam as you mention. It's an intersection of trails and one of the few places you can see more than 15 yards. I'm really stubborn and know there are way better methods / places to chase deer, but I am doing everything I can to get a good BT buck out of this area.

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 10:08 PM
I’ve seen cat tracks in my foot prints in fresh snow a few times. Probably the most lethal hunter in the North American woods. I’m just glad they don’t like eating humans.

great video

I think they are super curious about people. I believe that a few weeks ago this same cougar traced us back from the blind to our camp, circled around the clearing, then circled the jeep and sniffled around where caddisgirl went wee-wee then left. That trailcam video the cougar is about 12 hours behind me sniffing around and I was the only "thing" that went through there in days. I think it's just part of what makes them tick. They investigate everything in their area... everything a hunter should do. Can't even imagine how that brain of theirs works, but I envy their ability. I think the best blacktail hunter can play the detective game and learn an area over years but will never be 1/100 as skilled as these critters... well except maybe proguide lol

RICKADY
11-17-2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks! It's a tough MU to hunt but good spot for the cam as you mention. It's an intersection of trails and one of the few places you can see more than 15 yards. I'm really stubborn and know there are way better methods / places to chase deer, but I am doing everything I can to get a good BT buck out of this area.
Yes same here, got a tough little spot in region 2 I know holds BT's, would love to fill a tag,
hope were not in the same spot, lol.
Good luck.

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Yes same here, got a tough little spot in region 2 I know holds BT's, would love to fill a tag,
hope were not in the same spot, lol.
Good luck.

Ha! It's probably one of the toughest places to get a deer out of. I don't hunt it because I care about actually getting more meat in the freezer... I just do it because I am stubborn and 100% batsh*t insane LOL

wolves descending all over that valley too but still no legal season for them *sigh*

Big Lew
11-17-2019, 10:34 PM
I’ve seen quite a few cats. The biggest male was in the Upper Stave. It had just fed on a doe. It’a belly was almost touching the ground it was so full. I firmly believe that for every one I’ve seen in the coastal mountains there have been many watching me. I’m very careful about letting my dog run ahead of me in these local mountains. I’ve had a cougar try to jump on my horse twice while I was riding up on Blue Mountain. Don’t trust them one bit!

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 10:37 PM
I’ve seen quite a few cats. The biggest male was in the Upper Stave. It had just fed on a doe. It’a belly was almost touching the ground it was so full. I firmly believe that for every one I’ve seen in the coastal mountains there have been many watching me. I’m very careful about letting my dog run ahead of me in these local mountains. I’ve had a cougar try to jump on my horse twice while I was riding up on Blue Mountain. Don’t trust them one bit!

Well, they are cats... so I imagine curiosity can switch to opportunity in short order. The only things I know about cats are from observing house cats... personality changes like a light switch

mpotzold
11-17-2019, 11:03 PM

Don't blame you!
Reminds me of the 59 lbs cougar that killed a woman and mauled her son while on horseback in BC. The 6 year old was attacked first being the smallest of the 4.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2007/09/killer-cougars/

REMINGTON JIM
11-17-2019, 11:16 PM
Ha! I have zero problem mentioning the MU since it's probably one of the toughest places to get a deer out of. I don't hunt it because I care about actually getting more meat in the freezer... I just do it because I am stubborn and 100% batsh*t insane... so yeah it's 2-2... anyone cougar hunters want to have a go, great... LOL

wolves descending all over that valley too but still no legal season for them *sigh*

Have you SEEN any Wolves or just tracks etc from them ? RJ

caddisguy
11-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Have you SEEN any Wolves or just tracks etc from them ? RJ

Saw 1 in 3D, have another on cam I'll post up and heard lots howling last couple years (i sleep in there at least 30 weekends a year so probably 60-80 nights) and yeah lots of tracks. Not blaming wolves for the tough hunting there either... it's always been tough... but they have slashed out of a lot of the valley and spray it with the Monsanto round-up chemicals just like everywhere else... kill the cover, kill the feed... I imagine that will make it tough for the deer and moose wintering... wolves showing up is probably related. The lack of season for wolves seems a couple years behind. I think there should be a WT season too. I am seeing 50/50 ratio of whitetail vs blacktail/muley/hybrid now in the 35km stretch of the valley I observe... so wakey wakey bios.. figure if I've seen one off a road and could have shot it, so could hundreds of other people.

I know how this stuff goes from hunting Region 5. I'd see the odd wolf in daylight there and pretty much any place you step out of the truck there are tracks. Started seeing in 3-14 a few years ago and now seeing it here in region 2 :(

Can I just start smoking wolves and WT's? I'm sure I have fossilized poops in that valley dating back at least 30 years... should have some kind of status lol

Wild one
11-18-2019, 06:31 AM
140lbs your cougar bait lol

Other then cougars making deer movement go to hell they don’t bother me but I am not snack size lol. I have a hunting partner who is a little bugger if he is hunting solo and a cougar is around it is following him

Kill a BT already

Big Lew
11-18-2019, 08:31 AM
140lbs your cougar bait lol

Other then cougars making deer movement go to hell they don’t bother me but I am not snack size lol. I have a hunting partner who is a little bugger if he is hunting solo and a cougar is around it is following him

Kill a BT already

Lol! Don't get complacent there sir, I'll bet even some cougars believe in 'bigger is better'.
If on 2 occasions a cougar laid in ambush trying for my horse even with me on top of it,
you'd have to be Paul Bunyan size for it to not to eye you as a potential meal(s).:wink::lol:

Wild one
11-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Lol! Don't get complacent there sir, I'll bet even some cougars believe in 'bigger is better'.
If on 2 occasions a cougar laid in ambush trying for my horse even with me on top of it,
you'd have to be Paul Bunyan size for it to not to eye you as a potential meal(s).:wink::lol:

I don’t trust sneaky cougars and have had one that was curious about me for sure but definitely noticed they like little people. I figure as long as my hunting partner is smaller then me odds are in my favour the cougar will target them first :grin:

Hey Caddisguy do you wanna go hunting out this way :twisted:

chilcotin hillbilly
11-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Size really doesn't matter to cougar, I have seen them take down bull moose. I wouldn't worry the encounters are few and far between. Go hunt and enjoy the outdoors.

Salty
11-18-2019, 04:56 PM
The cat's in good shape, hasn't missed too many meals.

Same for the 3 point the spot has potential.

But dude. That is one Boone and Crocket blue jay there! Pretty sure that was a wolverine he was chasing? great catch. lol

I can't think of anyone that deserves a nice black tail buck the hard way more than you caddis. Kudos to you for getting out there in any weather in some of the most miserable terrain going and only getting more focused. Respect. Your time will come.

caddisguy
11-18-2019, 06:20 PM
I don’t trust sneaky cougars and have had one that was curious about me for sure but definitely noticed they like little people. I figure as long as my hunting partner is smaller then me odds are in my favour the cougar will target them first :grin:

Hey Caddisguy do you wanna go hunting out this way :twisted:

LOL sure but I'm going to wear one of those big padded marshmallow man suits that they use for training police dogs... maybe a few neck braces too. If we get the mauling on film we night be able to retire on YouTube $$$

DannyO
11-18-2019, 06:39 PM
30 weekends!? You are a lucky man, with a tolerant partner! I expect a marriage advice thread from you in the off season ��

caddisguy
11-18-2019, 06:44 PM
The cat's in good shape, hasn't missed too many meals.

Same for the 3 point the spot has potential.

But dude. That is one Boone and Crocket blue jay there! Pretty sure that was a wolverine he was chasing? great catch. lol

I can't think of anyone that deserves a nice black tail buck the hard way more than you caddis. Kudos to you for getting out there in any weather in some of the most miserable terrain going and only getting more focused. Respect. Your time will come.

Thanks Salty! Haha that jay is not very nice. He's lucky I'm a nice ethical guy. I've wanted to send 150gr his way more times than I can count.

I haven't had time to really examine, but I think those are two different 3 pointers and the first one is actually a whitetail.

Still a little bit of time left in the season so who knows. If only I could kick this darn cough, I might have a better chance sneaking up on things.

john-brennan
11-18-2019, 07:23 PM
That is a decent cat

rustybarrel
11-18-2019, 07:42 PM
A big & healthy cougar, weather in the forests, or the nightclubs of BC, is nothing to take lightly....they can sneak up, and attack in any location.
Keep your rifle or shotguns close ��.Be careful out there....cougars are on the increase, and they are “hungry.
I understand that the sound of “ice” in a glass is particularly enticing to them.

TyTy
11-18-2019, 08:11 PM
That looks to be a large cat. Nothing wrong with its hip, just a big frame on it. Likely getting old. See the size of it compared to the deer.

boxhitch
11-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Large cougars with big frames often have hip troubles
but they need luvin too

Salty
11-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks Salty! Haha that jay is not very nice. He's lucky I'm a nice ethical guy. I've wanted to send 150gr his way more times than I can count.

I haven't had time to really examine, but I think those are two different 3 pointers and the first one is actually a whitetail.

Still a little bit of time left in the season so who knows. If only I could kick this darn cough, I might have a better chance sneaking up on things.

The first is definitely a whitetail all right. Still have a hard time getting my head around that one. They really have to look at a region 2 white tail season its gone beyond the odd siting here and there.

But yeah that other 3 is a decent blacktail. Or blackmule or however you call the hybridish blacktails in the transition zones around here. Cool footage .

100MileGord
11-19-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm sitting in the dark on my computer and too lazy to look up the hunting season for cougar in your region.

In my neck of the woods, cougar is fair game for much of the deer hunting season (and beyond into winter). It doesn't hurt to buy a species licence "just in case".

Cougars are relatively easy to call using a fawn in distress bleat blown like a coyote/rabbit set up. IF they are within hearing, and IF they are NOT spooked, they will come into the call. Most hunters don't give them enough time to respond though. They often need a half hour to 45 minutes to make their approach.

The problem with ground hunting cats like this is that the hunter gets very little chance to size and sex the cat before deciding whether to pull the trigger (unlike a hound chase). It is an adrenaline rush though when you do get a positive response and have to decide in a very short time window whether to shoot or not.

caddisguy
11-19-2019, 07:35 PM
I'm sitting in the dark on my computer and too lazy to look up the hunting season for cougar in your region.

In my neck of the woods, cougar is fair game for much of the deer hunting season (and beyond into winter). It doesn't hurt to buy a species licence "just in case".

Cougars are relatively easy to call using a fawn in distress bleat blown like a coyote/rabbit set up. IF they are within hearing, and IF they are NOT spooked, they will come into the call. Most hunters don't give them enough time to respond though. They often need a half hour to 45 minutes to make their approach.

The problem with ground hunting cats like this is that the hunter gets very little chance to size and sex the cat before deciding whether to pull the trigger (unlike a hound chase). It is an adrenaline rush though when you do get a positive response and have to decide in a very short time window whether to shoot or not.

I always have a cougar tag. After I saw the video, I double checked. Did I buy one this year? Yep sure did.

Thanks for the tips on calling the cat. It's actually how I call for deer, as they can come running in or take their time. I don't like to over call. Usually I start with a grunt, wait 45-60 mins, rattle a small set of 4x4 antlers (if I have them, I don't always like packing them) and then another 45-60 mins, usually "last call" of the evening, I will blow the snot out of the Deer Talker / Deer Stalker call. One good long rip that sounds like a fawn in distress (I only do this around rut time, same with rattling)

Good chance the cougar is already wise to me though. I've heard some creeping around the blind that I couldn't see on a couple of occasions. I'm also pretty sure that cat followed us back to camp one night, circled around the camp and then the jeep. That was a few weeks ago. In the video, I was the only thing that walked passed that camera in days prior and in the clip it's only a matter of hours after me (or "behind" me I guess you could say)

I'm not sure how bright they are, but I'm guessing that cat knows I'm the thing that rattles and does the distress call from time to time. It might still come in because it's curious about me. Perhaps I'd be wise to blow the call, walk a ways, blow the call again then circle back on my own tracks. Not sure how much effort I want to put in though. I figure I'll just keep after the deer and if I happen to bump into the cat, I will be making the decision at that time.

I took down my blind and cameras last weekend. I'll probably put up more cams this weekend and still-hunt my way passed them to see if I'm getting any "followers". A few inches of snow would help too.

Not sure how I feel about walking around there on the dark anymore though. The vegetation is waist to shoulder high and there's little clusters of fir trees everywhere.

Another idea is to put up a camera, a big cardboard box and a deer decoy stuff full of catnip, go hunt elsewhere and come grab the footage in a couple months :D

caddisguy
11-19-2019, 07:45 PM
The first is definitely a whitetail all right. Still have a hard time getting my head around that one. They really have to look at a region 2 white tail season its gone beyond the odd siting here and there.

Haha yes it would be nice to have a WT season in Region 2 right about now. Especially with these 3 point racks the only way I know for sure is to see some ass. But yeah, imagine you have mules, BT's and every hybrid in between (and some that even look like WT / BT hybrids) running around. Gotta be careful about pulling the trigger. I have at least 6 different WT's on that cam but only the one WT buck.

It's ridiculous now. My wife's friend from Mission posts up pics all the time "look at these lovely adorable visitors in our backyard" ... buncha dang whitetails LOL

Bugle M In
11-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Great post!
Nice to see some folks share their time and experiences.

As for Cougars, I honestly believe they can do more damage then we think when it comes to game pops.
Many studies starting to confirm this.

BUT, they are incredible animals....love the look and coloring of them!
Always nice to see them out in the back country....
Just be nice if they were omnivores:p