PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian Collared Doves

Icedog
11-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Noticed some eurasion collared doves in areas close to the rail yards in Prince George a few years ago. One story has it that some were released in the Carribean several years ago and they have been working their way northward ever since. They are an invasive species, and have become fairly populous in some places. I've only seen the local birds in and about residential and industrial areas in town, as I understand is their habit. I imagine there is some grain spillage around the rail yards which they feed on.

Just wondering where else in the province they are resident, and if anyone has had opportunity to harvest or dine on them?

Brno22F
11-22-2019, 02:12 PM
The Eurasion collared dove has been here in the Smithers/Hazelton/Terrace area for several years now. There is a pair at a bird feeder at my neighbour's place this week.
I don't bother hunting/killing them. Would rather dine on ruffed grouse.

robert05
11-22-2019, 04:05 PM
We have had them at Nimpo Lake for a few years know. Have a pair that will be spending their third winter here.
last spring I counted 32 one morning, yes I put out cracked corn for the birds year round.
I believe the proper name is Asian Turttle Dove.

wideopenthrottle
11-22-2019, 04:08 PM
We have had them at Nimpo Lake for a few years know. Have a pair that will be spending their third winter here.
last spring I counted 32 one morning, yes I put out cracked corn for the birds year round.
I believe the proper name is Asian Turttle Dove.
do you have a pear tree?...heheh

robert05
11-22-2019, 05:37 PM
do you have a pear tree?...heheh

Yup several they are very robust at 3600ft elevations! lol

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
11-22-2019, 07:34 PM
We have them here in Elkford. Noisy buggers been here for at least two years now.

allan
11-22-2019, 08:18 PM
I see them every day at my place, first one was about 10 years ago. At first I used to stop and stare they were so unique. Now they are like starlings, I don’t even notice them half the time.

180grainer
01-11-2020, 02:38 PM
They are an invasive species, and have become fairly populous in some places.
Which is really weird as the Government's response to this has been to initiate a limited season in some places. Why not place as a schedule C species and have at it?

boxhitch
01-11-2020, 05:03 PM
I asked the same question in a meeting years ago about the new turkey season in Reg8. Gov't considered them at the time to be invasive and a pest, no introductions or relocations allowed.
I asked Harris et al why is there a season and a bag limit ? 'Because reg4 has one, so we followed'
ffs
but we did get a spring plus a fall opening

B-rad
01-11-2020, 05:08 PM
if anyone gets a chance to harvest them in open season,,,try out a few,,,,,,i was pretty impressed with how they tasted,,,,,,i was only able to get my hands on 6 of them,,,,not much meat,,so i just breasted them

180grainer
01-13-2020, 08:20 PM
if anyone gets a chance to harvest them in open season,,,try out a few,,,,,,i was pretty impressed with how they tasted,,,,,,i was only able to get my hands on 6 of them,,,,not much meat,,so i just breasted them
They always seem to hang out in towns though. I can't think of a time I busted any in the bush.

Gumsehwah
01-23-2020, 12:26 PM

How do they compare with other game birds?

B-rad
01-23-2020, 03:31 PM
in all honesty,,,,,i just fried them up in butter and seasoning salt,,,,,they had a touch less game flavour than grouse,,,so if a person enjoys grouse,,,,then easily would enjoy dove

EmJayBee
08-18-2020, 08:10 AM
These aren't on List C yet I believe.
They have the most irritating cooing I've ever heard.
I've only ever seen them in town so no hunting there.

walks with deer
08-18-2020, 08:22 AM
i like there sound

Foxton Gundogs
08-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Taste like pigeon not bad.