PDA

View Full Version : Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

rustybarrel
11-16-2019, 06:09 PM
I have been hunting number of years and have gear/clothes dialed in...except pants.I either destroy them, or they are too hot,or they are sucking up water like a sponge.I can change top layers easily, but who wants to change pants as you go (or do you?)
I am tempted to just try long John’s like they wear in NZ...maybe with shorts to protect the plums.
Any hunting pant experts got It figured out?

LuckyHorseshoe
11-16-2019, 06:29 PM
I have a pair of under armour hiking pants that I love. They’re thicker and tougher than a normal hiking pant,not waterproof though. Depending on the temp, I’ll wear long johns or if it’s really cold I’ll switch to my Columbia wool pants

slowjo
11-16-2019, 06:49 PM
I struggled with being too hot on warm days, soaked to the bone on rainy days, or ripping the inseam from crouching or climbing. So this year I bought a pair of Under Armour Ridge Reaper Early Season Pants.
Stretchy material so I can comfortably climb, crawl and crouch. Lightweight and breathable so I don't overheat in the September elk season. They are great with moisture, sweat or precipitation, easily drying out in a breeze, the truck, or some easy walking. Through October and November I've just added some good synthetic or wool long underwear.
Probably won't use them for snow or frigid temps in the end of November whitetail hunt.
Quiet, comfy, dry, durable.

Bustercluck
11-16-2019, 06:59 PM
I have a pair of arcteryx pants made out of a stretchy material. That coupled with some gaiters seems pretty good. I wouldn’t want to be kneeling down on rocks and stuff with them, but they’re light, breathe well and dry fast. Not waterproof at all though

Mark-R
11-16-2019, 07:17 PM
A few suggested Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants in another thread. I now own 3 pairs.
I beat them up constantly bushwhacking and whatnot. They take the abuse and I don't really care if I put a hole in them.
Pockets are great. Slate green color works for me. Good temperature range but if going hard in hot temps, there are lighter options. They block the wind well.
Will withstand some light rain but will get wet eventually. If they get wet I find they dry fairly quickly.
Hard to beat for the price when on sale, which they are right now.
Get the longer leg option so when sitting and glassing the wind doesn't go up your leg.

Kill-da-wabbit
11-16-2019, 07:32 PM
I got a pair of wool pants from Gost Wear. I wear them from Oct. on through the season. Tough, not water proof, but they are wool, so it doesn't matter. I just change my long johns with the weather. The have cargo pockets and wash very well. Stay away from Arcteryx and MEC - Raincoast supporters.

brian
11-16-2019, 07:36 PM
I wear polar fleece. They resist water, are very comfortable, are extremely quiet, and dry quick when they actually do get wet.

swampthing
11-16-2019, 08:08 PM
You can always go high end. Companies like sitka and kuiu make excellent products that address the issues you have. They do cost $$$ and finding one pant for every condition is tough! I run 3-4 different pairs from lightweight summers to heavyweight cold weather and rain pants as well.

NeilG
11-16-2019, 08:24 PM
I have a couple of pairs of Kuiu Attack pants (currently on sale on Kuiu website) and they are holding up real well on my region 2 hunts. Plenty cool wearing them in early september bow hunts and now the weather has got colder i just wear merino long Johns under them. They are DWR coated and have surprised me with how well they are waterproofed. Days when it is really pouring i just wear rain gear though.

buckshot
11-16-2019, 08:29 PM
I like Costco lined cargo pants . 29 bucks ��

sakohunter
11-16-2019, 08:58 PM
I have been using the First lite obsidian pant this year and they have held up pretty well this year. Just layered up when it was cold they were great moving and fast drying. I also have the Filson mackinaw field pants and they have served me very well over the last decade+, they are tough as nails but are on the heavy side.

jac
11-16-2019, 09:16 PM
I have been using fjallraven vidda pro pants for the last 2 years. They are not designed for hunting more for heavy trekking or bushcraft. Absolutely love them very tough, breath well, repel water well and dry very fast highly recommend them. I think the keb model have a zipper for venting i may try them next time.

dougan
11-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Gosttwear wool pants awesome!

Firstblood
11-16-2019, 09:47 PM
5.11 tactical pants every hunt for me. They breathe great, lightweight and dont bind up, lots of pockets, synthetic so dont soak up water, quiet and have yet to pull a thread and I push some serious bush. I layer underneath with long johns when its cold but I move lots and my produces absurd amounts of heat. Under $100 and Ive had mine for a few years now. I have 3 pairs for different purposes other than hunting.

MichelD
11-16-2019, 10:25 PM
I use poly/cotton German army camo pants in early season, but really, my best pants even in light rain are one pair of Canadian Army dress pants I got at the surplus store ear the base in Chilliwack 30 years ago. Really tight weave mostly wool with a polyester blend. Good even in snow with light wool underwear and virtually indestructible. Even jammed my chain saw!

I have a pair of heavy Swiss or Swedish army surplus wool pants too, but only rarely wear them if it is really cold.

In rain you just gotta wear rain gear. I use the lightweight Helley Hansen stuff.

dracb
11-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Gost Wear Big Bill wool cargo pants. Come in 18, 24 and 28 ounce fabrics. Wear for ever if wife does not wash and dry on hot.

Fella
11-16-2019, 11:19 PM
I have a pair of first lite pants, they’re thin but pretty good down to 5 or so Celsius with a set of long johns underneath. Merino wool. Then for colder weather I wear a pair of East German surplus wool pants.

webley
11-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Gosttwear wool pants awesome!
Thats what I use as well, Big Bill very tough and warm.Steve!

Trav
11-17-2019, 06:51 AM
Gostwear wool for me too!

btridge
11-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Blue Jeans.

Cold-add Long Johns!

Wet-add Rain Gear!

Cyrus
11-17-2019, 08:16 AM
UA ridge reaper all season long. They stretch which is the best part about them. I wear Klim long johns underneath and I am good until minus 20. Only issues is that they are not waterproof but dry very quickly. They are a very quiet pant and breathe easily. I wish I could find waterproof pants that were not noisy and breathed a bit. I've yet to find any.

Silent But Deadly
11-17-2019, 08:21 AM
I have been using fjallraven vidda pro pants for the last 2 years. They are not designed for hunting more for heavy trekking or bushcraft. Absolutely love them very tough, breath well, repel water well and dry very fast highly recommend them. I think the keb model have a zipper for venting i may try them next time.

This is what I have been using as well for the last two years. They dry very quickly.

Squamch
11-17-2019, 08:34 AM
First lite something or other. When it's wet I wear rain gear. If it's really cold I wear long johns under em.
All you guys with synthetics, do you realize how LOUD those pants are?
I also had a pair of badlands pants for a few years. They worked, the water resistant part wore off pretty quickly though.

huntingfamily
11-17-2019, 10:00 AM

x3. Highly recommended. Anything fjallraven is top quality.

Useyourfeet
11-17-2019, 10:17 AM
I’ll second the 5.11’s. I’m done with the really expensive hunting or hiking pants. The 5.11’s last like nobody’s business, have great pocket layouts and can be had for reasonable prices on amazon. I actually prefer the poly cotton blend over the full synthetic too. They still dry plenty fast but are more durable and don’t melt through when a campfire spark hits them.

Arctic Lake
11-17-2019, 10:43 AM
What model item number is 5.11 pants you fellas are wearing ?
Thank You
Arctic Lake

downsouth204
11-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Sitka Ascent pant is a great warm weather pant, and a Sitka Timberline with a merino base layer for when its colder and grounds damp, as they have waterproof knees and seat.

twoSevenO
11-17-2019, 11:14 AM
I ended up upgrading to a pair of Kuiu attack pants. They've been great as I needed something with some stretch.

Be warned.... kuiu sales are crap. They give you the pants for a sale price, but then take away the free shipping so they deal isnt as good as they advertise

Also they run small. I normally wear 34 waist and ordered a 36 from them and glad I did.

The pants are great though. Fit well. Comfortable. They have nice zipper openings on the side to cool you down on summer scouting hikes. The stretch is really really nice.

r106
11-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Sitke timberline pant for the last 4-5 years. Love these pants. I wear them all season but they're a little warm for early season perfect for oct and i add merino base layer for nov. I did get a small tare last spring but stitched them up and used a seem sealer and there good as new. I'm open to other brands on pretty much any other piece of gear but when these wear out i will probably get another pair.

RyoTHC
11-17-2019, 01:10 PM
First lite something or other. When it's wet I wear rain gear. If it's really cold I wear long johns under em.
All you guys with synthetics, do you realize how LOUD those pants are?
I also had a pair of badlands pants for a few years. They worked, the water resistant part wore off pretty quickly though.

badlands happily replaced my entire suit this year after two years of heavy use it was not completely waterproof, they deemed that a manufacturing failure and replaced!

RyoTHC
11-17-2019, 01:12 PM
I ended up upgrading to a pair of Kuiu attack pants. They've been great as I needed something with some stretch.

Be warned.... kuiu sales are crap. They give you the pants for a sale price, but then take away the free shipping so they deal isnt as good as they advertise

Also they run small. I normally wear 34 waist and ordered a 36 from them and glad I did.

The pants are great though. Fit well. Comfortable. They have nice zipper openings on the side to cool you down on summer scouting hikes. The stretch is really really nice.

current sale is free shipping over 250,just picked up a ultra down pro set and some attack pants for the remainder of the season sitting and toying with white tails.

Danny_29
11-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Sitka Timberline are awesome. I have bone spurs on my knee so the the knee pads are an absolute life saver.

m5wilson
11-17-2019, 02:44 PM
I have always worn Prana Stretch Zion, if cold add a base layer. They have a DWR coating, dry quickly when wet, stretch, very light weight. They have lasted well especially for the price of them. This year I bought some Sitka Timberline pants and wore them almost exclusively after September. I like the waterproof seat and knees and suspenders.

Iltasyuko
11-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants are on sale right now. They have a www e-com Canada site. Good stretch and add merino wool underneath later season. Zip pockets are a good size.

Useyourfeet
11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Taclite Pro for me.

lovemywinchester
11-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Here's what I wear....seriously. Great for early season and when it gets cold I just double them up. I hunt alone now due to the staring.

https://i.imgur.com/MNuHjd3h.jpg

TARCHER
11-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Filson whipcord wool.

rustybarrel
11-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Damn!
I knew one of you would have it figured out!
‘that’s what I am wearing next season....anyone that sees me out there, just wave and ��
cheers

North Thompson Hunter
11-17-2019, 07:48 PM
First of all, you don't need warm pants until it gets really cold. Most of your body heat is contained and lost in the upper body. So, the best pants in most of your hunting or hiking situations is thin, light, and dries extremely quickly, like most modern high tech fabrics do. However, they do not have much insulation. Some of my favorite pants get wet real quick, but also evaporate water almost as quickly - my body temperature dries the pants.

However, at some point, your legs will start to become cold, and so you will want insulation. Don't be lured into the advertisements of "water proof pants", believe me, they do not deliver. Just use warm leggings (Possibly bottoms to the long johns that you have had for years, but never used).

simonvancouver
11-17-2019, 08:26 PM
x3. Highly recommended. Anything fjallraven is top quality.

Same, most my hunting gear is Fjallraven, part because i am tall it fits better for me, but the quality has stood the test so far. Vidda and Keb both excellent

One thing I will add, I saw a guy out in a heavy duty poncho, just green, that seemed to cover him when he was glassing in a heavy down pour. easy what to stay dry i am guessing, but never used one myself, but would free up pants do go a bit lighter more hiking style and not worry about waterproof.

Waiting for someone to say... "it doesnt matter when I am sat in my truck" :lol:

Sharpish
11-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Timberlines have been great for me. I recently got a KUIU jacket and like it so much I bought pants in the same pattern.

Golddust
11-17-2019, 11:22 PM
AAron Snyder from Kifaru suggests in his podcast that for late season he goes the sitka timberline and other than that he runs Prana Zion pants. I have Kuius that I like for early/mid season but I think could get shredded fairly easily if you're reckless with them

Ovis17
11-17-2019, 11:54 PM
Sitka Timberline are awesome. I have bone spurs on my knee so the the knee pads are an absolute life saver.I have these also. Great pants. Absolutely love the knee pads and gore-tex knees and seat.

corywilson13
11-18-2019, 12:03 AM
UA quick dry shorts, Sitka timberlines, Sitka stormfronts. I always wear a combination of these as a layering system. Storm fronts have side zips from bottom up to don/doff without removing your boots. They also have side zips from the top down to access pockets in layer below, and work great to cool down when hiking up hill. You can zip them down to the knee, let out a bunch of heat - yet stay dry if you aren’t pushing through thick Bush. As long as they make these pants I can’t see myself ever wearing anything else.

rustybarrel
11-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Ok,
‘I see many of you have/are working on your pants-thanks for all the suggestions.I tried out the Fjallraven pants with side “vents” this weekend- the vents work really well:As you hike, the open, zipped, side vents kinda pump the air out from your pants ...surprised how well it works, Almost as if you are hiking in shorts( not quite as good).The pants are sturdy and have lots of good pockets.They are well built.
As far as rain goes...they are not gonna do shit.So......plan “G” is that I bought Simms “challenger” fishing rain bibs made of Toray-breathable, gortex like, fabric...on sale for good price on that internet shopping place that ends in “Y”. When it’s rainy and wet as hell, I pull these on.
‘I’m not paying $400 for the same thing from Firstlite, Kookoo,Cabelas, etc. etc, when these are the same material( for all intents).
If these don’t work, I am going back in time to a animal fur, bikini brief, or just a thong.With boots on my feet for protection ,but having my legs “naked”...if the ladies can do it all year why can’t I? .Or maybe I will try chaps attached to my thong....I will keep you posted.
In the mean time, if you see a guy with thong and chaps on, in the forest, or just a furry thong thing on....you know it’s me! So say hello.

jac
11-18-2019, 08:16 PM
I bought some outdoor research foray pants and jacket rain gear pack down small and were fantastic on sheep hunting trip last aug. took a beating and still look new

CheesyLimper
11-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but what kind of chaps? There's a lot of different choices for those too....

Ok,
‘I see many of you have/are working on your pants-thanks for all the suggestions.I tried out the Fjallraven pants with side “vents” this weekend- the vents work really well:As you hike, the open, zipped, side vents kinda pump the air out from your pants ...surprised how well it works, Almost as if you are hiking in shorts( not quite as good).The pants are sturdy and have lots of good pockets.They are well built.
As far as rain goes...they are not gonna do shit.So......plan “G” is that I bought Simms “challenger” fishing rain bibs made of Toray-breathable, gortex like, fabric...on sale for good price on that internet shopping place that ends in “Y”. When it’s rainy and wet as hell, I pull these on.
‘I’m not paying $400 for the same thing from Firstlite, Kookoo,Cabelas, etc. etc, when these are the same material( for all intents).
If these don’t work, I am going back in time to a animal fur, bikini brief, or just a thong.With boots on my feet for protection ,but having my legs “naked”...if the ladies can do it all year why can’t I? .Or maybe I will try chaps attached to my thong....I will keep you posted.
In the mean time, if you see a guy with thong and chaps on, in the forest, or just a furry thong thing on....you know it’s me! So say hello.

SemperAurum
11-18-2019, 10:11 PM
I wear German leather bullsteer pants. if it gets too hot I switch to sheephide chaps

SilentRoar
05-21-2020, 09:20 AM
I like Hillsound gaiters. Check it here (https://outdoorsly.org/best-gaiters-for-hunting/), if still needed. They are like winter baffins but feet do not sweat that much

jac
05-21-2020, 11:04 AM
What fjallraven pants did u buy? I have the vidda pro and I just bought some Keb trousers which’s have vents on them. I also see the vidda pro with vents are available now.

wideopenthrottle
05-21-2020, 01:02 PM
surplus army fatigues have been my go to for more than 40 years...strong poly fiber weave with some cotton mixed in as mentioned it dries quick and keeps you warm enough for most hunting conditions...thin layer underneath not thick long johns is all I would ever add when -10..i have wool pants and layers for -20 or colder

lakelander
05-21-2020, 01:26 PM
What fjallraven pants did u buy? I have the vidda pro and I just bought some Keb trousers which’s have vents on them. I also see the vidda pro with vents are available now.

Where did you buy them from - need to try these out..thx

browningboy
05-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Here's what I wear....seriously. Great for early season and when it gets cold I just double them up. I hunt alone now due to the staring.

https://i.imgur.com/MNuHjd3h.jpg

What a great hunting partner, definitely good for the larger tree stand!

whitlers
05-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Trying out the Kuiu Talus pant this fall. Just came in the mail the other day.

jac
05-21-2020, 03:39 PM
I bought from Valhalla pure and the fjallraven store in Vancouver. The Vancouver store has lots of selection and were nice to deal with cheap shipping. The vidda pro with vents are bombproof all g1000. The Kebs are g1000 and 4 way stretch they look very nice but I haven’t tested, they are there most technical hiking pant. Last year on 10 day hunt I used the vidda without vents and they worked great. This year I’m going to use the kebs.

2tins
05-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Sitka pants with Kenetrek gaiters. Win win win.

Rattler
05-21-2020, 09:50 PM
Prana Zion stretch pants are excellent pants for the money ($95) They are tough, cool, stretchy pants that take abuse and have held up over two hard West Kootenay elk seasons and they still look new. Highly recommend.

Hugh Mann
05-21-2020, 10:43 PM
My pant of choice is the Badlands Ion. A bit on the pricey side, but they are quite water resistant, and definitely not hot in the least bit. Durable too, I've gone through some nasty crap and only have a few minor tears. After this spring season, thinking I'll send 'em off to badlands for warranty work.

Brambles
05-21-2020, 11:18 PM
Prana Zion stretch pants are excellent pants for the money ($95) They are tough, cool, stretchy pants that take abuse and have held up over two hard West Kootenay elk seasons and they still look new. Highly recommend.

But they aren't camo, and animals won't die unless your wearing camo...everyone knows that....

Stone C. Killer
05-21-2020, 11:21 PM
Costco expedition pants. Similar to the pranas but $23

MichelD
05-22-2020, 03:37 PM
My original pair is starting to get signs of being worn after 30 years and a chain saw incident, so I felt very fortunate to find another pair of these at Gorilla Surplus on East Broadway in Vancouver for $10.00.

They are dress pants, with no cargo pockets, but the blend and weave are so tight they are warm in cool to cold temps, resist some rain and deflect snow, and with a light pair of long wool underwear I've worn them in minus 10 to 15 weather.

https://www.camogroup.ca/store/p654/Canadian_Army_Service_Dress_Trousers.html#/

lakelander
05-22-2020, 03:44 PM
I bought from Valhalla pure and the fjallraven store in Vancouver. The Vancouver store has lots of selection and were nice to deal with cheap shipping. The vidda pro with vents are bombproof all g1000. The Kebs are g1000 and 4 way stretch they look very nice but I haven’t tested, they are there most technical hiking pant. Last year on 10 day hunt I used the vidda without vents and they worked great. This year I’m going to use the kebs.

Just ordered the Vidda Pro for $138 on sale at Valhalla. Great reviews on them on Tube. Thanks

browningboy
05-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Why wear pants if you don’t have to?

madcalfe
06-07-2020, 01:52 PM
well i pretty much have every pant from kuiu, attack, alpine, talus, pro, guides, chinooks, my favorite pair would have to be alpines for sheep/goat hunting and talus for elk hunting but ultimately any mountaineering brand would probably work just as good.

Kast13
06-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have experience with RevolutionRace? The YouTube videos make them look pretty quality at a fair price, and a few outdoors YouTubers have discount codes for them right now, as they are trying to break into the North American market. Maybe they are a more budget friendly alternative to Fjallraven.

joshbazz
07-17-2020, 12:46 AM
I grabbed a pair of the Vidda Pro with vents for $139 at Monod Sports in Banff. Free shipping, even sent me a free postage label to return the pants for a smaller size, which were again shipped to me for free! Super comfortable pants, can't wait to wear them this season!

338edgehunter
07-17-2020, 03:18 AM
i use sitka / kuiu gear you spend a little $$$but the end result is maximum comfort and reliability in the field. If conditions are dry and im just out day hunting i use drab olive kakies/cargo wranglers from walmart.

todbartell
07-17-2020, 09:09 AM
I have been wearing First Lite Knab merino pants for the last few years for most days in the field. The current version of this pant is the Obsidian

BRvalley
07-17-2020, 09:36 AM
has anybody used skyre gear yet? so far I can only find reviews on rokslide, but seem to be decent

their exchange/refund policy for shipping costs sounds decent, I'll probably try a pair of pants this year

https://skre.ca/

Arctic Lake
07-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Wow they sure have a whack of options for pants !
Arctic Lake

Does anyone have experience with RevolutionRace? The YouTube videos make them look pretty quality at a fair price, and a few outdoors YouTubers have discount codes for them right now, as they are trying to break into the North American market. Maybe they are a more budget friendly alternative to Fjallraven.

BCHunterFSJ
07-17-2020, 11:17 AM
Blue Jeans.

Cold-add Long Johns!

Wet-add Rain Gear!

For most of my early season hunting I still wear blue jeans.
Did you know that you can also buy insulated jeans? (Costco).

Rivers West makes a great rain pants - waterproof, warm, and quiet in the bush.

cptnoblivious
07-17-2020, 11:55 AM
Based on this thread I've picked up some Eddie Bauer Guide pants and also some 5.11 Tactical pants (from Cabelas).

Not used in the field yet (being summer) but quick impressions:

Guide pants: Very light and comfortable, stretch fabric is great for activities. Don't insulate and should be good for early season when it's warm, they do well in damp. Not a lot of storage options.
5.11 pants: Little heavier, great pockets and easy to carry stuff on you without having it move around (i.e. in the cargo pockets they have a liner that can keep stuff close to your leg so stuff doesn't bounce around). The double layering key parts should help a bit with longevity.

Looking forward to using both this fall. Thanks for all the tips from folks who have contributed to this thread :)

WetLeopard
07-17-2020, 03:13 PM
May have already been mentioned, but for anyone looking a Fjallraven I'd highly recommend the Keb trousers. I have a pair of Vidda Pro's as well - the Vidda's I find are better for thick brush, bushwacking, etc. but the Keb's can't be beat for comfort hiking in open areas. I've been really impressed with the durability of both.
The Eddie Bauer guide pants are also great, a few of my friends run those and love them.

Ryan R
07-17-2020, 07:35 PM
Based on this thread I've picked up some Eddie Bauer Guide pants and also some 5.11 Tactical pants (from Cabelas).

Not used in the field yet (being summer) but quick impressions:

Guide pants: Very light and comfortable, stretch fabric is great for activities. Don't insulate and should be good for early season when it's warm, they do well in damp. Not a lot of storage options.
5.11 pants: Little heavier, great pockets and easy to carry stuff on you without having it move around (i.e. in the cargo pockets they have a liner that can keep stuff close to your leg so stuff doesn't bounce around). The double layering key parts should help a bit with longevity.

Looking forward to using both this fall. Thanks for all the tips from folks who have contributed to this thread :)

I have used both those pants extensivley. The guide pants are a so so mountain pant and are only for the warmest weather. They do not block the wind very well, but do dry very fast. I did have trouble with the stiching around the pockets (had to practice my sewing) on the pair I went through. Also, the guide's are not for any bush whacking as thorns go right through them...ouchy. I think there are better options then the guides. They are great for around town though.

The 5.11 tactical are a great all around affordable hunting pant. Much more durable then the guides, but not as stretchy due to the heavier fabric. No thorns get through the 5.11's. Great pockets and double knee is good. They can get warm on hot days, but I would take the 5.11 over the guides all day.

I still think the Timberlines are the greatest hunting pant ever made.

I have the vidda pros and keb pants which are both awesome. They are worn mostly around town in my case, but if I were to take one on a backpack hunt it would definitly be the Keb due to the stretch fabric. The vidda's have more resistance when stepping up. I'll say agian....they are both badass pants.

combine pilot
07-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Cabela"s microtex pants. Have been using them for years and they work amazingly well. It does not say it on the Cabela's site but they are also very wind proof. The ones they are selling now are a medium weight which are a bit warm for August 1st sheep hunts but perfect for the rest of the year. Fortunately I still have 2 pair of their light weight ones they sold 10-12 years ago for August.

joshbazz
07-17-2020, 08:53 PM
I have the vidda pros and keb pants which are both awesome. They are worn mostly around town in my case, but if I were to take one on a backpack hunt it would definitly be the Keb due to the stretch fabric. The vidda's have more resistance when stepping up. I'll say agian....they are both badass pants.

The vidda pro ventilated that i just got have stretch in the crotch ‘gusset’. Was going to go for the Keb, but these were $60 bucks off-still on sale right now I think at Monod Sports. So far they feel really comfortable. Flexible enough to stretch - I could rock climb in these.

Sniperdan
07-17-2020, 09:07 PM
Bought several pairs of Wrangler ProGear Jeans in Realtree Camo several years ago. Doesn't appear they make them anymore as it is getting hard to find them for sale. I need to start thinking about replacing them but it looks like I might be SOL.

Ryan R
07-17-2020, 09:15 PM
The vidda pro ventilated that i just got have stretch in the crotch ‘gusset’. Was going to go for the Keb, but these were $60 bucks off-still on sale right now I think at Monod Sports. So far they feel really comfortable. Flexible enough to stretch - I could rock climb in these.

I have the non ventilated version. If they added some stretch fabric to the pants that is a great improvement.

Fella
10-31-2020, 11:24 AM
I’ve worn the same 2 pairs of wool army surplus for the last 7 years and they’re freaking bomb proof and warm. I’ve worn them in all weather, from Vancouver island downpours to -23 weather in the interior. Cost me $20.

saskbooknut
10-31-2020, 04:27 PM
German army surplus wool, second choice Swedish Army. Rain pants over wool in really wet or really cold weather.

one-shot-wonder
11-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Another satisfied Fjallraven owner... Best fitting pant I've ever hiked in. Durable and a great Sept-Oct hunting pant. Come November on go the woolly pants.

jlirot
11-02-2020, 10:27 AM
any links on where to buy inexpensive wool pants? i just usually layer up with my polypro but would be interested in trying a pair of wool pants.

BRvalley
11-02-2020, 11:15 AM
has anybody used skyre gear yet? so far I can only find reviews on rokslide, but seem to be decent

their exchange/refund policy for shipping costs sounds decent, I'll probably try a pair of pants this year

https://skre.ca/

for what it's worth these pants didn't work out for me, sent them back immediately due to the fit...based on brief inspection/appearances, not sure I'd try them again in other models/sizes, don't think they are on par with sitka or kuiu pants....their VIP exchange and full money back was easy to use, so give them that at least

Grizzlydick
11-02-2020, 12:13 PM
any links on where to buy inexpensive wool pants?

Gostwear

Onesock
11-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Eddie Bauer guide pro pants. Great pants. They even have an insulated pant for lare season.

skibum
11-02-2020, 12:34 PM
September in to October --- 5.11 tactical pants (long underwear for October)

Mid October to end of season --- Gost Wear Big Bill Wool Pants - the 28oz.

I tore up my old wool pants with all my hiking in tough places - the Big Bill ones are super durable.

Tred
11-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Expensive, but I like my wool pants (Big Bill 24 Oz. Wool Hunting pants). There warm, but wool is also breathable so I don't sweat like crazy. Sheds water well also. My only negative is they can be a bit scratchy.

ShaneThomas
11-02-2020, 09:35 PM
First Lite has a nice pant range that might work for you. I have there wool obsidian pant and that coupled with a thin merino base layer I can hunt/hike to just above freezing. For glassing and colder weather they have zip-off heavy weight merino base layers, as well as zip-off insulated/dwr puffy pants and zip-off waterproof shells so you can quickly tailor your outfit.

For most of my outdoor activities that involve colder weather (sub 10c) I will run a merino base layer, insulating layer and an optional waterproof shell which also cuts on wind.

xcaribooer
11-02-2020, 11:36 PM
I love the 4 way stretch of the kuiu attack pants, super comfortable and light weight and durable, nothing is worse than pants that don't allow free movement when hiking. Yes they are pricey but the two pair I have I picked up here on the exchange second hand in excellent condition so made it somewhat justifiable for me. I went with one that fits good alone for warmer days and also got a pair in the next size up that I can add a fleece layer under for cooler days.