PDA

View Full Version : 81, and still gettin er done!

Bugle M In
11-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Just came back from our annual MD hunt and it was a great weekend for my father and to also share the experience with
his granddaughter.
The years of construction work were not overly kind to my father physically, with both shoulders basically not having much if any of his rotator cuff muscles still attached and even biceps (long head) are detached.
A knee that points out at a 15 degree angle that should have been replaced years ago, but he refused and now the doctors refuse to do now, as well as a vein that is trapped in his knee that can be repaired either.
And on top of that, not too long ago, 2 stints put in last year right by his heart, and he is in the process of probably having a few more implanted soon as he once again has some major chest pains.
So, needless to say, my father was strongly considering not going, as he did not see a way to hunt, as he always hiked all day long in the past, but has been a challenge now for 10 years.
I told him he should come along, as a friend was bringing a truck he could use to get around in, and just sit and wait.
To be honest, I sometimes think my hiking all over the place looking for MD, still hunting all day long can have it's benefits but at times I think it isn't always the most effective way either.
Many a times I here that someone takes a buck just beside the road while driving around, and decent ones, while I am out bushwhacking.
Over the years, my dad has had opportunity to take bucks, but he always passed on them as they just weren't big enough to take as the effort to get them down to camp was not worth it.
So, he has gone quite a few years without harvesting one, with no regrets as he just likes to be "out there".

Also, we got a new addition to the family, a rescue dog that we took for the first time with us.
I doubt she had ever seen a pine tree and all the new smells were a little much for her senses at times.
Also, I did not think I had purchased another husky, but soon realized that this dog pulls just as hard and all day long
as dogs I had had in the past.
Well, needless to say, all this pulling and being out all day had its toll on my daughter.
I have to say she did a fantastic job keeping up with me while all the time having her hands full with the new dog.
But the friendship is one I think will last for years to come and we really are enjoying the new dog.
https://i.imgur.com/6frPcvN.jpg

Ride Red
11-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Your daughter will always have memories of “tough as nails grandpa” which is priceless. Good on him for still going for it as most give up too easy. Nice looking dog too.

dodge456
11-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Great looking dog! We adopted a 5 year old Doberman in April and have been finding the same thing with him, I doubt he'd ever been in the bush before. The sights and smells are so distracting for him that at times its difficult to get him to even take a pee because he's so wrapped up in smelling the next bush or trying to get that squirrel. Good to hear your dad is still able to make it out as difficult as it may be for him. I lost mine in 2014 and miss him a lot. Being out in the bush or in the boat brings back extra memories of him as he loved being out there.

Bugle M In
11-14-2019, 12:19 PM
So, by the 3rd morning, I think my daughter was a bit pooped of the long hikes and either being dragged uphill or right or left, or having to put
the brakes on going downhill, that she decided the day would be much better spent hanging out with Opa in the truck for a day of hunting and
keeping him company.
Plus, dad (me) didn't mind a day of getting out their for some true "quiet time"(lol).
The night before had my dad picking up 2 of my friends off the road after they got off the mountain to take back to camp.
Well, along that drive back to camp they spotted 15 Doe MD and then around one bend, a buck walked past their truck, but too dark to
hunt or to fully tell if it was legal anyways.
So, the next morning, my father, my daughter and 2 of my friends took off in the truck while I went up the mountain on foot.
It was pretty obvious it was going to be a long day as the weather was not going to cooperate and things were starting to get socked in.
Basically, by the end of the day had I not had a gps along, I too may have gotten lost for the evening.

Anyways, the decision was made that my 2 friends would get out of the truck at a crossroad, while my father and daughter would go down
this one road a ways, then turn around in an area they saw all the Doe the night before while my buddies would start in the area they saw the buck, one on either side of this road, walking in the timber in the direction my dad would be parked.
Well, it wasn't too long before my dad and daughter had the truck parked and turned in a direction they could look up the road in hopes some
deer walked across.
And it wasn't too long either when over the radio my father says "there are 3 doe and a buck in pursuit crossing the road from the lake side
to the camp side" which was to tell my friend on that side to keep an eye out as he made he way thru the timber.
Then, only minutes later, I hear on the radio that the 3 Doe had again crossed the road to the lake side, but no buck.
Minutes later, I hear that the buck has now come across the road in pursuit of the 3 Doe.
Which was to tell my friend on the other side of the road that he should keep his eyes open.
And he is a fellow still waiting to take his first MD (he had a great chance 2 years ago, but buck fever got a hold of him and his rifle was
truly way out of whack and not sighted in properly...now taken care of!).

Meanwhile, I am listening to all this chatter, and can almost hear one of my friends excitement, while the other seemed a little down, knowing
that the buck had gotten ones hope up high, to only have that hope jump across the road to the next fella....lol.
But, finally, I piped in and said to my dad over the radio, "how about not talking so much, pick up the rifle and put the radio down, just in
case the buck crosses again".
I got a reply only a son knows to "not say anything else"!...lol.

Then, one friend asks my dad if it is legal, but my dad responds that he isn't sure, BUT, that my daughter keeps telling him it is, that it has 4 points.
Now, my father was right to not take my daughters advice, but then again, at only 12, I have learned she is already starting to know her stuff.
Just then, on the radio (what did I just say to him...…..), my dad says the buck just crossed the road again.
Now, my one friend who was getting all excited, and was closing the gap, suddenly felt his dreams disappear, while my other friend, who had had his hopes dashed, was now once again, back in the game!

Well.....not really.
Suddenly I hear on the radio my daughter shout out "Shot it"!!!
Now, I am quite a distance away, but know exactly where all this action is taking place and also know I should be able to hear the shots.
So, I hear "shot it", and think to myself in that instance "I didn't hear the shot".
Suddenly "kaboom"....I know hear the shot.
Pretty cool I thought to have known the shot had happened before I actually heard it.
Radio waves are obviously much faster then sound waves.

Then I hear....."we got it"
When I hear the buck is down I get on the radio and say I will be on my way down to help but it will take me sometime.
I get the reply "It's ok, you can stay up there, I have 2 healthy guys to help me out"!!...lol
I guess my dad knew what he was doing!
Turns out that when the buck crossed the road the 3rd time, he was without the Does and once he got to the other side, he actually walked
right towards my dad and daughter sitting in the vehicle.
At that point my dad could se he was legal, got out of the truck, and yes, then loaded his gun all the time the buck still walked into him.
https://i.imgur.com/YSvGPth.jpg

albravo2
11-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Great post Bugle. I love the family stories. Glad to hear your dad made the trip. My dad's love was horseback riding and I've always regretted not doing more of it with him but the few times I went are memories I cherish.

Bugle M In
11-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Goes to show that when the rut is at its peak, bucks really do lose their mind at times.
Except when I chase them!...then they always know it's time to run????

So, in the end, they got the buck out of the gulley, placed it on the truck and took else where to gut and clean.

Turned out, later that night when I got back to camp, that it was in fact my daughter that got my father to shoot.
Had he been alone, who knows...that buck may have crossed the road several more times.
Maybe one of my friends would have taken him....or maybe neither would have?
But, when the buck crossed the road for the 3rd time, it was my daughter repeatedly saying "Opa, take him...take him....take him"!!

Have to say, being a Father now, it makes me proud that she is finding hunting something she enjoys thoroughly and something I hope we
can share for many years to come.
As a Son, I cant be any happier for the man who brought me into this lifestyle, as his passion for it is immense, and his respect for people
and the wildlife around him is never questioned.
Couldn't happen to a better guy, and a great bunch of friends to help him out!

My father and his little sidekick!
https://i.imgur.com/iLz5uow.jpg

Knute
11-14-2019, 12:30 PM
^^^^That's an awesome pic^^^^^^

Lots to be proud of there Bugle M In, great story.

RICKADY
11-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Great job all, beauty buck. Wish I grew up in a more outdoorsy family, no matter, starting to create this for my family that wife and I have going, hope I can do it at 80+ with grand kids, can't think of anything more fun and the bonding that goes with it.
Congrats and great writing

quadrakid
11-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Great buck,great story and great family.

albravo2
11-14-2019, 12:59 PM
That photo is a wall-hanger. I've used bestcanvas.ca in the past and they were awesome. You upload the picture, pick your size and voila. If I recall correctly it arrived within 3 days of ordering and the prices were really good. Highly recommend.

Citori54
11-14-2019, 12:59 PM
What a great deer and better story. Their faces tell it all. Reminds me of the time my father got out for a last hunt before he passed. He was nodding off in the truck when my brother yells "there's a buck". My Dad wakes up and says my brother should take it but after a short argument he reluctantly got out, loaded his rifle and dropped the buck in its tracks (drilled it between the eyes). It was not a big deer but a real trophy in all of our eyes and the smile on Dad's face is a memory we will have forever.

Bugle M In
11-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks.
Yes I will be looking at making it a wall hanger photo and appreciate the advice.

Ans yes, after being so reluctant in taking the buck, I am pretty sure he is feeling pretty good about taking the buck, but I also believe he
is much more proud of the experience to be shared with his granddaughter.
He was also very proud of how all the people involved, my friends (his friends as well!) giving him so much assistance and also congratulating
him on his harvest at the time it happened and all shook his hand.

I know there are many on here that have lost their fathers (mentors) and can no longer share the experiences I still have, but I hope the post
also helps "relive" some of those past experiences so many had with their fathers non the less.
Always good to have a "reflection" from a story and I am glad it does that, even if the loss is still painful, there is a lot to also be thankful in
memories we have all had with out parents and kids.
To those that didn't have this opportunity, I feel for you folks, but take strength in knowing that partaking in a hunting lifestyle now, will allow
you to share that with people in your future.
You all still have a lot to give....and share.

Squamch
11-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Great story, great pictures. That's a lifetime memory.

whognu
11-14-2019, 01:17 PM
well done

this is classic........I got a reply only a son knows to "not say anything else"!.

Ride Red
11-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Great pic for sure!!!!!!

Dash
11-14-2019, 01:22 PM
LOVE this! These are memories that will be cherished forever. What an amazing family. Huge congratulations to all!

sakohunter
11-14-2019, 01:34 PM
A family hunting together is so very special. Congratulations!!!

northcoastfun
11-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Awesome adventure and what a great picture of the deer team ...

Iron Glove
11-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Fantastic story - thanks for sharing.
I'll be 69 next month, who knows how long the body will last, I'd be more than elated if I'm hunting @ 81.
Been lucky, both Son and Son In Law hunt ( Son in Law just recently ) and after a few days at the Range with 9 year old Grand Girl shooting Grandma's .22 she said "Grampa, next year can I go hunting grouse with you ??" This from a Girl who a couple of years ago said "Grampa, why do you have to kill everything?"
Again, super story, super family to read about.

Bugle M In
11-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Fantastic story - thanks for sharing.
I'll be 69 next month, who knows how long the body will last, I'd be more than elated if I'm hunting @ 81.
Been lucky, both Son and Son In Law hunt ( Son in Law just recently ) and after a few days at the Range with 9 year old Grand Girl shooting Grandma's .22 she said "Grampa, next year can I go hunting grouse with you ??" This from a Girl who a couple of years ago said "Grampa, why do you have to kill everything?"
Again, super story, super family to read about.

My daughter has also been asked to do a "Presentation" at school on her hunting experience and the lifestyle.
Being that we live in the heart of the city, she with a little help from me, is taking every advantage of it to explain the lifestyle to her peers.
And much of that opportunity comes from her teacher who ironically is a Vegan, by choice, but recognizes other people have a right to choose
and as all great teachers, allow kids to "learn"!
The next day after taking the buck, she was already on her I-pad making up the presentation and getting it well underway.
She is a great kid and I am definitely blessed when it has come to family.

Grumpa Joe
11-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Awesome story! Congratulations to all those involved. Way to go Grandpa and Granddaughter. This is what this site is and should be about.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Top shelf all round, Bugle!!

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

Congrats to all

SSS

Iron Glove
11-14-2019, 03:54 PM
My daughter has also been asked to do a "Presentation" at school on her hunting experience and the lifestyle.
Being that we live in the heart of the city, she with a little help from me, is taking every advantage of it to explain the lifestyle to her peers.
And much of that opportunity comes from her teacher who ironically is a Vegan, by choice, but recognizes other people have a right to choose
and as all great teachers, allow kids to "learn"!
The next day after taking the buck, she was already on her I-pad making up the presentation and getting it well underway.
She is a great kid and I am definitely blessed when it has come to family.

That's great as there are many experiences related here where kids are met with "resistance" at School to such activities.
Our Grandaughter attends an Outdoor Based School where they are active in the Community with wildlife habitat rehabilitation, wetlands work, animal recognition and such - they actually follow much of the non hunting section of the CORE Program.
If we go to her School to pick her up we are often met by a staff member asking us to save skeletons, racks, dead things and such to use at School.
Yes, we are blessed too, hoping she gets her Youth Liscence next year.

andrew5
11-14-2019, 03:58 PM
That picture is worth more than anything money can buy. I have a 2 year old daughter, and I really hope to be able to make memories like this one day.

338win mag
11-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Great story bugle, thanks for sharing your families experience, that was really beautiful.

REMINGTON JIM
11-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Awesome Storey Bugle - Great Experience ! RJ

Huntingtyler123
11-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Awesome story! Wish I could of shared memories like that one with my grandpa

scoutlt1
11-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this BMI.

To me, this is what hunting is all about.

Much appreciated!

M

jtred
11-14-2019, 07:59 PM
That is a good hunt right there. Both your father and daughter will have that memory for the rest of their lives. I sure wish my dad was still into hunting like he used to.

180grainer
11-14-2019, 08:09 PM
That's pretty awesome. Really doesn't get much better than that.

Rattler
11-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Well done and some great memories made on this hunt. Thanks for sharing.

horshur
11-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Congratuations to your Dad!

Arctic Lake
11-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Well Bugle that was a great story and the picture with your daughter and father, Priceless, get that framed !
ArcticLake

jimzuk
11-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Well done congrats hope I will still be out there when I get to his age

rocksteady
11-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Congrats to your dad.. admire him for still living the dream..

nature girl
11-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Ah that is so cool your dad got a deer. And with his granddaughter along his side. And you to hear is over the radio and the two friends awesome. The smile on your dads and daughter face is priceless. Great memories thank you for sharing.

Timbow
11-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share a special hunt. That's what it's all about in the end, special moments.

Deaddog
11-14-2019, 09:43 PM
If this story is not exactly about why we do what we do I don’t know what is. Congrats to all , three generations. Can’t ask for more than that!!

11-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Great Share.
Thanks for posting. Congrats to you all. Great family share time.
Very refreshing to see.
Its posts like this that have become few and far between on HBC.

tigrr
11-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Wish I was you! Never hunted deer till I was 46. Never had a mentor. Your Daughters opa is incredible. Priceless.

HarryToolips
11-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Well congrats bud looks like you got yourself a great hunting partner in your daughter, and that is a very nice buck, great spread...

Rieber
11-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Pretty cool indeed.

downsouth204
11-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Great story and pics, thanks for posting!

wideopenthrottle
11-15-2019, 09:25 AM
wow...thanks for the share...great work

GEF
11-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Heart warming story .Well done!

Bugle M In
11-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Another thing that made my daughter/opa relationship great was that they had a bond early on with hunting.
I would get up at 5 am to be out and up the hill long before 1st light.
And I took my daughter along the first time at the age of 7, which made it a little hard to "wake her" to go out.
SO, my dad, her Opa, would stay with her till she woke, get her ready and take her up the hill and either hang out there or wait til I came
by to pick her up and go for a walk.
OR, if I did get her up as she got older, I would sometimes drop her off with Opa on the hill when she got too tired to walk.
So, they have spent many hours together, side by side, walking and sitting.
I don't push her hard at hunting, and until now, she had never seen a deer or any game taken, but now she has.

Having my dad around is a huge bonus, which allowed me some "patience" and allowed my daughter enough time to get into the flow of things.
Family structure is all too important, and can make a huge difference.
With family and friends, it becomes a "community" out in the woods, and there is nothing better.

Always take time for others folks as not everyone has the same structure, but with a little time and effort, sharing it goes a long way for
everyone's benefit.
And no better way to do it, enjoy it and share it then with hunting, in my books anyways!

ElliotMoose
11-15-2019, 01:22 PM
That's what it's all about right there! Is this a R5 Buck? Almost looks like burn terrain

john-brennan
11-15-2019, 08:15 PM
That is what it is all about, fantastic

Ohwildwon
11-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Another thing that made my daughter/opa relationship great was that they had a bond early on with hunting.
I would get up at 5 am to be out and up the hill long before 1st light.
And I took my daughter along the first time at the age of 7, which made it a little hard to "wake her" to go out.
SO, my dad, her Opa, would stay with her till she woke, get her ready and take her up the hill and either hang out there or wait til I came
by to pick her up and go for a walk.
OR, if I did get her up as she got older, I would sometimes drop her off with Opa on the hill when she got too tired to walk.
So, they have spent many hours together, side by side, walking and sitting.
I don't push her hard at hunting, and until now, she had never seen a deer or any game taken, but now she has.

Having my dad around is a huge bonus, which allowed me some "patience" and allowed my daughter enough time to get into the flow of things.
Family structure is all too important, and can make a huge difference.
With family and friends, it becomes a "community" out in the woods, and there is nothing better.

Always take time for others folks as not everyone has the same structure, but with a little time and effort, sharing it goes a long way for
everyone's benefit.
And no better way to do it, enjoy it and share it then with hunting, in my books anyways!

I don't know you but its easy to tell your one hell of a human being.

Thx for your contribution to this forum.

Best thread I've ever read!

mpotzold
11-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Goes to show that when the rut is at its peak, bucks really do lose their mind at times.

So, in the end, they got the buck out of the gulley, placed it on the truck and took else where to gut and clean.

Turned out, later that night when I got back to camp, that it was in fact my daughter that got my father to shoot.
Had he been alone, who knows...that buck may have crossed the road several more times.
But, when the buck crossed the road for the 3rd time, it was my daughter repeatedly saying "Opa, take him...take him....take him"!!

Have to say, being a Father now, it makes me proud that she is finding hunting something she enjoys thoroughly and something I hope we
As a Son, I cant be any happier for the man who brought me into this lifestyle, as his passion for it is immense, and his respect for people

Congrats! :smile: What a memorable photo!

You were/are very fortunate to learn from your dad, a true hunter.

Only my great grandfather (Petzold) from the Black Forest Wurttemberg area was an ardent hunter so hunting is in my blood.

Sorry to read about your dad's medical issues.
I had a rotator cuff tear from falling on a construction site. Went hunting 2 days later & pain was unbearable trying to sleep. Good thing Eve had some strong pills. Almost had her drive me to the emergency in W.L. Took some time to heal.

Anyways hopefully all goes well with your dad's medical issues.

mooseknuckler
11-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Awesome story Bugle. Thanks for sharing. Congrats to your dad and daughter!

bcshadow
11-16-2019, 12:11 AM
A heartwarming and really great story! Thank you.

Bugle M In
11-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Congrats! :smile: What a memorable photo!

You were/are very fortunate to learn from your dad, a true hunter.

Only my great grandfather (Petzold) from the Black Forest Wurttemberg area was an ardent hunter so hunting is in my blood.

Sorry to read about your dad's medical issues.
I had a rotator cuff tear from falling on a construction site. Went hunting 2 days later & pain was unbearable trying to sleep. Good thing Eve had some strong pills. Almost had her drive me to the emergency in W.L. Took some time to heal.

Anyways hopefully all goes well with your dad's medical issues.

Wurttemberg!
Hey, I was lucky enough to have my cousins take me wild boar hunting twice there over the years, and was lucky both times!
Dad and family is from Karlsruhe, in Wurttemberg Country.

BRrooster
11-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Great story! Sittin here getting all teary eyed. Love that picture. My daughter is my main hunting partner, and has been for the last
10 years. Keep up the tradition, its a way of life.