PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Region 8

dak0ta
11-14-2019, 10:53 AM
I've only been seeing Mule Deer, and that's at elevation. I figure the WT are lower down generally speaking, but I haven't bumped or run into any yet. Do WT rut in Nov similar to the Mule Deer? Looking for tips to seek them out. I'm more familiar with Mule/Blacktail hunting.

Wild one
11-14-2019, 11:12 AM
WT are in the rut right now I have been calling in bucks since early Nov and action has really bumped up I the last few days. Missed a big buck yesterday :cry:

There is tons of reasons you may not be seeing WT and it comes down to straight up looking in the wrong place. The MU or section of that MU may have a low population. If you are looking for WT in areas you think look good for MD
that is likely another big problem. If you have figured out low land thick bush BT think more along those lines

In most cases( not all ) WT are lower elevation look at areas that are gradual hilly areas, flat terrain, valley bottoms, rivers, ravines with flat bottoms and mixed timber. Get in the bush don’t rely on them coming in the open. They are a sprinter that is built to run and prefer ground they can utilize this

Tons of info on this forum if you do a search

dak0ta
11-14-2019, 11:19 AM
WT are in the rut right now I have been calling in bucks since early Nov and action has really bumped up I the last few days. Missed a big buck yesterday :cry:

There is tons of reasons you may not be seeing WT and it comes down to straight up looking in the wrong place. The MU or section of that MU may have a low population. If you are looking for WT in areas you think look good for MD
that is likely another big problem. If you have figured out low land thick bush BT think more along those lines

In most cases( not all ) WT are lower elevation look at areas that are gradual hilly areas, flat terrain, valley bottoms, rivers, ravines with flat bottoms and mixed timber. Get in the bush don’t rely on them coming in the open. They are a sprinter that is built to run and prefer ground they can utilize this

Tons of info on this forum if you do a search

Thanks that's helpful. How about those clear grassy areas under large powerlines? Find them at first light or sundown?

Wild one
11-14-2019, 11:56 AM
I target WT in the bush where they transition from feeding to bedding. I also target land bridges in marshy areas. I avoid man made openings and large openings in general because there is lots of WT that don’t come into the open in the daylight. I also find more mature deer avoiding man made openings. All my locations this year are targeting deer that feed in marsh land/riparian areas, mixed timber, and poplar thickets with no large openings for miles. This time of year I target areas with scrapes almost entirely

There are guys who target Powerlines and cuts I don’t