View Full Version : Helicopter access to backcountry - Illegal?

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Was looking through the regs for an unrelated topic and stumbled upon...

It is Illegal...
26. To hunt or transport hunters or wildlifeby a helicopter.
27. To use a helicopter, including a drone,while on a hunting expedition

I get 27 - you shouldn't spot from a flying object, but 26... does that mean I am not allowed to have a friend drop me in the backcountry by helicopter and then have him pick me up afterwards? Soooo backcountry access is then ...what...fixed wing only?

finngun
11-12-2019, 12:14 AM
No hunting stuff can move by chopp. But ya can go skiing with it..

Ferenc
11-12-2019, 05:52 AM
Or fishing ...

Redthies
11-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Yup. 26 means no eggbeaters for anything to do with hunting. Fixed wing only, and 24 hours from landing to shooting when flying in.

Wild one
11-12-2019, 07:21 AM
It’s the ability to land in almost any location with a chopper vs restricted to bodies of water or run ways with a plane

From my understanding it’s to limit impact on goat and sheep

RINO
11-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Chopper Hunts are Popular in The Northwest Territories ... just saying

Wild one
11-12-2019, 07:30 AM
Chopper Hunts are Popular in The Northwest Territories ... just saying

and New Zealand along with many other areas

Blockcaver
11-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Yup. 26 means no eggbeaters for anything to do with hunting. Fixed wing only, and 24 hours from landing to shooting when flying in.

The BC regs state that “It’s unlawful to hunt wildlife within 6 hours of being airborne in an aircraft other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft”.

That is directly from the regs following the two statements on helicopters.

MattW
11-12-2019, 08:54 AM
It's 6 hours after landing in a plane

Danny
11-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Or fishing ...
Dont think there's any restrictions about choppers and fishing

twoSevenO
11-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Fishing is OK .... very popular method to access remote rivers. Some guiding services offer "heli fishing" packages as well.

Hunting ... not allowed to transport hunters, game or equipment as far as i'm aware.

Having said that, if you got a friend that owns his own chopper you can probably do whatever you want as most people do. lol.

finngun
11-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Helibackon is my favorite...lov.to try that...:mrgreen:

Redthies
11-12-2019, 11:17 PM
The BC regs state that “It’s unlawful to hunt wildlife within 6 hours of being airborne in an aircraft other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft”.

That is directly from the regs following the two statements on helicopters.

Oh. I know Alaska is 24 hrs. Thought we were too. Luckily, I drive and hike most places so it hasn’t hindered me being 18 hours late;)

Cat catcher
11-12-2019, 11:41 PM
They can fly in gear for you can’t they? Outfitters get quads and gear flown in and then go in by plane with clients hunting

Drillbit
11-13-2019, 01:28 AM
They can fly in gear for you can’t they? Outfitters get quads and gear flown in and then go in by plane with clients hunting

Oh, this'll be good!

Downtown
11-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Nonsense !

Outfitters in BC are required to abide by the same Regulations as Resident Hunters !

Cheers

r106
11-13-2019, 07:45 AM
No they cant. They have the same rules as us. Now im sure theres some grey area like flying in " camping equipment or tools" in the spring - summer but just happen to still be there come hunting season so might aswell use them..

Cat catcher
11-13-2019, 07:47 AM
I never looked into this just going by previous comments about restrictions but it doesn’t say you can’t fly in gear and walk in after hunting. I’m not trying to start anything I’m being serious. I’m probably missing something. I have watched outfitters do it. Boats, guads and gear.

twoSevenO
11-13-2019, 08:10 AM
I never looked into this just going by previous comments about restrictions but it doesn’t say you can’t fly in gear and walk in after hunting. I’m not trying to start anything I’m being serious. I’m probably missing something. I have watched outfitters do it. Boats, guads and gear.

What you're missing is that transporting hunters or gear or wildlife is illegal.

I'm sure some people do it and I'm sure some heli pilots are willing to do it, but it is not legal.

You cant get a heli drop for your camp then hike up to it. It's still using a chopper to help with your hunting!

r106
11-13-2019, 08:15 AM
I just read the unlawful section and it looks like they took the " gear " part out? Just says hunters and wildlife now.

Redthies
11-13-2019, 08:21 AM
I just read the unlawful section and it looks like they took the " gear " part out? Just says hunters and wildlife now.

You are correct. It seems they did take the “gear or equipment” related phrasing out. I don’t think I kept a copy of the last regs to compare to the current ones, but I recall it included gear in the helicopter restriction.

wideopenthrottle
11-13-2019, 08:27 AM
so are you saying when fishing with dynamite, you have to drop it from a plane instead of a helicopter?:mrgreen:

twoSevenO
11-13-2019, 10:22 AM
You are correct. It seems they did take the “gear or equipment” related phrasing out. I don’t think I kept a copy of the last regs to compare to the current ones, but I recall it included gear in the helicopter restriction.

Interesting ..... I stand corrected. This might be a game changer for some spots. Pay to get 50 gallon drum of fresh water dropped off :))

Redthies
11-13-2019, 11:16 AM
so are you saying when fishing with dynamite, you have to drop it from a plane instead of a helicopter?:mrgreen:

No, then you’re fine. You can fish from a helicopter, and I’ve thrown explosives out of them before, so I know you can do that... not into lakes mind you, that might be worth looking up in the fishing regs! :wink:

pro 111
11-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Keep the choppers outa the backcountry. Get off your ass and hike it in and out. Or take a horse. Too ****in simple .

twoSevenO
11-13-2019, 06:33 PM
Keep the choppers outa the backcountry. Get off your ass and hike it in and out. Or take a horse. Too ****in simple .

Its easier and probably cheaper to just use a chopper. Where the hell am I gonna keep a horse all year?

And besides, have you seen the damage horses can do to the alpine?!? I'd ban horses in the fricken alpine just like they banned ATVs!!

Cows too!!

Ohwildwon
11-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Piper Super Cub with Tundra Tires = Helicopter :p

finngun
11-13-2019, 10:49 PM

Longface horse might run out of steam (or hay) before ya far enaugh yu wanna get..chopper not..:eek::mrgreen: plus ya rear end might get painfull blisters..:eek:

Amphibious
11-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Piper Super Cub with Tundra Tires = Helicopter :p

Not even remotely close. I routinely hover exit people and their gear on to an object the size of a tree stump in a confined area. Try that with a fixed-wing aircraft.

If you could use a helicopter to hunt in BC, be prepared to pay roughly twice the cost for the same load.

twoSevenO
11-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Goat hunting just got a lot easier and a lot more expensive

boxhitch
11-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Illegal "or while on a hunting expedition" so that could be extended to include anything associated with hunting

No pilot is going to risk their license for a lazy rich hunter

fuzzybiscuit
11-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Illegal "or while on a hunting expedition" so that could be extended to include anything associated with hunting

No pilot is going to risk their license for a lazy rich hunter

You sure. Guides risk their licence all the time....

Drillbit
11-19-2019, 12:52 AM
You sure. Guides risk their licence all the time....

There it is.

The new wording won't help out the average joe, but the guides can sure benefit from it.

Yuritau
11-19-2019, 01:10 AM
Its easier and probably cheaper to just use a chopper. Where the hell am I gonna keep a horse all year?

And besides, have you seen the damage horses can do to the alpine?!? I'd ban horses in the fricken alpine just like they banned ATVs!!

Cows too!!

Not having cows all over every square inch of prime hunting grounds throughout October would be swell.