PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Nailknot85
11-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Just wondering what normal protocol is for carrying a rifle while hiking. I have to admit my memory is a little fuzzy from my PAL course on this subject other than you're supposed to PROVE it safe when picking it back up if you set it down. It seems to me that a rifle slung over the back or shoulder with a round in the chamber and the safety on is not very safe. I tend to only chamber a round when I am hand carrying my rifle. I know the sound of loading a round is usually enough to spook game too though so I was hoping to hear what others do. Thanks in advance.

monasheemountainman
11-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Legal, yes, safe that’s up to you

REMINGTON JIM
11-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Loaded in the Chamber - NO safety ! :tongue: RJ

Throwaway
11-06-2019, 11:52 PM
I commend you (I think?) if you’re really going through your PROVE every time you pick up your rifle out in the field. Seems to me that that kind of guy would hike with a round unchambered. Myself... I’m not going to boot ski down shale or swing from vines with one on deck but if I creeping through a suspected hot zone in the timber slowly and deliberately I for sure have on ready to rock.

Treed
11-07-2019, 12:18 AM
Good question. When I’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When I’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, I’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when I’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, I’m not walking loaded.

HarryToolips
11-07-2019, 12:49 AM
If I'm going over obstacles or up or down a steep slope I'll always unchamber the round but other than that, I'm always walking around loaded safety on, but am always aware of where I'm pointing my barrel..but I also developed this habit in the military so that's my comfort level...it's really up to you and your comfort level or those your with if your not hunting alone...

butthead
11-07-2019, 05:24 AM
lock and load baby
got a pull the hammer back

Weatherby Fan
11-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Simply if Im hunting alone I always have a round chambered but if I’m hunting with someone it’s empty.

Downtown
11-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Magazine full and nothing in the Chamber. Learn to put a round in the Chamber without making the slightest noise, with practise it can be done on most Bolt Actions.

Never have your Safety on when there is no Shell in the Chamber.

And one more thing, never strap your Rifle onto your Packsack, in a SHTF scenario you may not be able to you get her ready quick enough to safe you.

Cheers

ActionJackson017
11-07-2019, 06:42 AM
My chamber is empty, particularly while moving/hiking around. Once I'm in a position if I feel like it's time to rock I occasionally put one in the chamber, but usually I keep it empty. Personally, I can't justify the extra 1.5s to rack a round in to the chamber versus the risks of an accident. Purely personal choice.

tadpole
11-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Loaded magazine but no bullet in a pipe while bush hiking. I witnessed couple of stupid discharges and that is a good lesson to me.

Onesock
11-07-2019, 07:09 AM
One in the tube only when ready to shoot!

paraschost
11-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Always loaded, never chambered. When I was younger I was hiking with it chambered safety on thinking I was good, slipped hit the but of the stock & it went off on my shoulder... Never did that again!

Bustercluck
11-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Good question. When I’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When I’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, I’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when I’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, I’m not walking loaded.
This is the same thing I do. My theory is I’d rather spook off a bit of game by racking a round than having an accidental discharge. Accidental discharges are more common than you think and I can’t say I’ve missed out on an animal because I was chambering a round.

ACE
11-07-2019, 07:54 AM
In G-bear country . . . you decide.
A rifle with a 3 position safety like the Winchester M70 is very easy to check while the rifle is shoulder slung. You can check the safety with your left hand with the rifle slung on your right shoulder.

Squire
11-07-2019, 08:01 AM

This is pretty much exactly my protocol. I'll add that if I'm with someone I insist they are unloaded as well or they can hunt alone. I was with someone once whose rifle discharged while removing it from his shoulder - never again.

caddisguy
11-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Wow. This thread is educational.

I have had a lot of slips and falls, but never an AD.

Because of some of the spills and tumbles we've had, we recognized the risk and have a nothing chambered policy in any terrain that falling is likely. If we're hiking around thick, steep, mossy and wet stuff chamber is empty.

Hunting solo, I always have one chambered unless I'm dealing with a major obstacle (like climbing up one of our "shortcut ropes". Having one in the pipe while solo makes me feel a heck of a lot safer. Whether or not I am safer, who knows.

After reading this thread I'm considering extending the nothing-chambered w/ partner policy to easy terrain where falls are unlikely but still possible.

Makes me want to test our rifles more to see if I can get them to discharge by smacking them around a bit various ways. Probably add that to the list of stuff I never get around to though.

john-brennan
11-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Magazine full chamber empty when hiking in to where I hunt. I like most of you can load a shell into the chamber quickly when needed.

hawk-i
11-07-2019, 08:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfAobT5F3qg

:razz:

Huntingtyler123
11-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Loaded mag , but not chambered round while walking

Yuritau
11-07-2019, 08:31 AM
If I'm hiking with anyone else, nothing is chambered. If they chamber, I'm not walking with them anymore. There's time to chamber when an animal is spotted.

If I'm walking by myself, it depends. With my BLR I'll chamber one and carefully lower the hammer. If terrain gets sketchy I'll still unload it first. If I'm carrying a bolt action, I'll usually only chamber if I see an animal. If I suspect a predator is in the area, chambered and safety on until I see something.

dapesche
11-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Simply if Im hunting alone I always have a round chambered but if I’m hunting with someone it’s empty.

I am the same.

ratherbefishin
11-07-2019, 09:36 AM
I Never carry a rifle with one in the chamber,it’s easy enough to chamber a round if I see something

Piperdown
11-07-2019, 09:46 AM

This ^^^^^^^^^

lakelander
11-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Info for everyone (not everyone knows this trick) - I always chamber a round but 'lower' the firing pin by flipping up bolt and lowering while trigger is pulled. When ready to shoot, all you do is flip up and down the bolt (no need to cycle as round is already in the chamber) to cock the firing pin. Impossible for the gun to go off this way whilst hiking and you don't spook game either.

ruby
11-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Always nothing in the chamber, only in the mag, and I double check. That way there is NO chance of an accident. Nobody that had a firearm discharge accidentially meant for it to happen, but it does happen and people have been killed or injured. Nothing in the chamber, NO chance for life ending or altering accidents. Period. I had a hunting partners rifle go off when we were walking together, he was right behind me. I was lucky. Someone I know is now paralized from an accidental firearm discharge.

11-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Round in all the time... I check my safe all the time.
buddy o mine, hunted as long as I have.... all his life. Mag loaded chamber empty.....

plenty of reasons to go one way or another......

todbartell
11-07-2019, 10:39 AM

me too :mrgreen:

upperleftcoaster
11-07-2019, 10:40 AM
well went hunting with a new guy i met recently. open-ish country, region 3...
anyway he insisted on having one in the tube all the time, because the deer can just pop up from behind any tree or dip or valley. i was ok at the start, but his muzzle control was awful and a couple times his gun pointed at me while he turned around.

i can already hear a lot of you freaking out ha! and i reckon i probably should have pointed that out to him and asked him to un-chamber his round afterwards. i'm new though, just had trying to see deer in my head, it was his spot, following his plan...anyway learned a lot...will be more firm about my safety next time and tell him not to swing his effing gun around like that.

11-07-2019, 10:51 AM
anyway he insisted on having one in the tube all the time, because the deer can just pop up from behind any tree or dip or valley. i was ok at the start, but his muzzle control was awful and a couple times his gun pointed at me while he turned around.

i can already hear a lot of you freaking out ha! and i reckon i probably should have pointed that out to him and asked him to un-chamber his round afterwards. i'm new though, just had trying to see deer in my head, it was his spot, following his plan...anyway learned a lot...will be more firm about my safety next time and tell him not to swing his effing gun around like that.

when hunting round in.. muzzle control has to be second nature......

finngun
11-07-2019, 10:54 AM
When gun is in my hand,,chambered is full,,,but bolt is never down..and yes,, I never lost any bolt...takes only same half second when gun is loaded and safety on..when gun is my back..magazine full chamber empty..i witness 2 or 3 AD in my lifetime..scary..:shock:

butcher
11-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Hike, drive, fly, if it ain’t loaded you may as well carry a hockey stick.

albravo2
11-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Two scariest things: a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang and a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click.

I hike without a bullet chambered but I tend to have one in the chamber with the safety when I'm onto something because chambering a round seems really loud when I am trying to be quiet.

lovemywinchester
11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
good question. When i’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When i’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, i’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when i’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, i’m not walking loaded.

x 2........................

Downtown
11-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Info for everyone (not everyone knows this trick) - I always chamber a round but 'lower' the firing pin by flipping up bolt and lowering while trigger is pulled. When ready to shoot, all you do is flip up and down the bolt (no need to cycle as round is already in the chamber) to cock the firing pin. Impossible for the gun to go off this way whilst hiking and you don't spook game either.

You may want to rethink your "little Trick" which is actually a very dangerous thing to do. If you cant figure it out ask somebody which knows like a Gunsmith !

Cheers

scttlp86
11-07-2019, 12:25 PM
If you are being quiet enough that an animal will be spooked by you chambering a round then you are probably being careful enough that having one in the chamber is ok. Otherwise most animals will already know you are there and working the action isn't what spooked them. I have seen an accidental discharge, good thing for hunting partners with good muzzle control. Years ago I was stalking in on some deer with one in the chamber. They ended up blowing out but I didn't remove the bullet from the chamber right away. Couple minutes later I had a realy good spill, yard sale type. Well I look up and my rifle is 2 feet away pointing right at my gut, still have one in the pipe... scope was smashed and a good chunk gone from the stock. Rifle is never chambered when hiking

whitlers
11-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Hmmm either way at times. Empty chamber typically unless hiking around lots of Gizz sign. If hiking with a partner typically empty again unless I'm the lead guy on a small trail with Grizz sign.

weatherby_man
11-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Depends on the situation and most others have identified those case were its not. If I am active on either a slow spot/stalk or waiting on a site its always loaded. If I am on the other hand power hiking to a specific location and not in full hunting mode at the moment then no not loaded.

wideopenthrottle
11-07-2019, 03:56 PM
if hunting alone I always tube one with the safety on....I was trained to unload if you have a chance of falling (crossing creeks, fences, steep sidehill, slippery logs etc) and to always control muzzle direction so as soon as I am out of the vehicle and off the road I tube one...all hunting protocols are understood by my group up to and including having a grizzly shotgun in the tent

saskbooknut
11-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Empty chamber, full mag when climbing in the mountains. Locked and loaded when still hunting.

Nailknot85
11-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll take this all into account. The hunting with a partner thing is a good point.

RiverOtter
11-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Hunting with a partner, chambers are always cold; that's a non negotiable.

Hunting solo, I run mainly cold as well, unless a shot is imminent.

I've seen/experienced enough slips, trips and falls to know that even the easiest of ground can be dangerous at times. Fatigue, hunger, dehydration, fading light, weather....you name it, can all contribute to a trip/fall and loss of muzzle control.
At least in a solo situation, only the person who loses control is at risk of eating a bullet, so I'm good with the guys who insist on hiking hot and solo.

rocksteady
11-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Always liaded for bear (or whatever) one in the tube safety on.. always.. every time i put it on my shoulder

srupp
11-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Hmmmm never loaded weapon hiking..alone or with partner..always did it this way .
srupp

jlirot
11-07-2019, 08:31 PM

Dude - I don't care how much of a rookie you are. Someone points a gun at me - they get told that's not acceptable. And if it looks like it's going to happen again - i go home. Right then - right there. No discussion.

walks with deer
11-07-2019, 09:40 PM
auto loader all the way extended clip with one in the pipe safety off finger on the trigger...

the key to good sound shots is to shoot right away.

jimzuk
11-07-2019, 09:53 PM
I usually leave the bullets in the magazine unless I suspect there are animals close by. In grizzly country I may have the gun ready to go with the safety on. If I do this I always point the rifle in a safe direction and pull the trigger to confirm the safety is working.

11-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Depends on the rifle and on the situation

MOOSE MILK
11-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Unloaded rifle is only as good as a club!

whitespringer
11-07-2019, 11:46 PM
1 in the pipe and 2 in the mag, safety always on. 3 in, 3 out. Muzzle depends on where I’m at in relation to hunting partner

webley
11-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Hunting with a partner, chambers are always cold; that's a non negotiable.

Hunting solo, I run mainly cold as well, unless a shot is imminent.

I've seen/experienced enough slips, trips and falls to know that even the easiest of ground can be dangerous at times. Fatigue, hunger, dehydration, fading light, weather....you name it, can all contribute to a trip/fall and loss of muzzle control.
At least in a solo situation, only the person who loses control is at risk of eating a bullet, so I'm good with the guys who insist on hiking hot and solo.
My thoughts as well, I have never lost an animal because of an empty chamber. Get to know your rifle and its second nature to pop one in the chamber in a hurry. Steve!

Hunter gatherer
11-08-2019, 06:09 AM
What Webley said,it doesn't take long to pop one in and get a shot off.

tadpole
11-08-2019, 06:33 AM
As the old saying says... Every gun fires up accidentally once a year, and in an army even a broom fires accidentally at least once a year.:lol:

Squamch
11-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Situationally dependent. I've also seen a total of one ND in the bush, compared to more than I can recall on ranges.

Squamch
11-08-2019, 06:44 AM
My thoughts as well, I have never lost an animal because of an empty chamber. Get to know your rifle and its second nature to pop one in the chamber in a hurry. Steve!

Missed out on an immy moose last year because of it.

brian
11-08-2019, 07:33 AM
I don’t have any slings on my guns so I never carry them slung... always in my hands. They are always un-chambered if they are attached to my pack in any way. I also un-chamber for rough terrain. But I have a round in the pipe if I am hunting. There is no way I could chamber a shell quietly or quickly enough with my shotgun at the ranges I am forced to hunt.

jlirot
11-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Very dangerous. If you drop your rifle the pin is on the primer....

This is an interesting thread. I always hike with one in the chamber. I bird hunt as well so I'm used to being locked and loaded. You have to have control of your firearm. ..

Livewire322
11-08-2019, 01:01 PM
I don’t carry my rifle loaded, regardless of being alone or with others.
I don’t carry a shotgun loaded while bird hunting either.

I would far sooner miss an opportunity on an animal than take the risk of sending a bullet somewhere I didn’t intend to.

Muliechaser
11-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Muzzle controll is the number 1 priority .
As others have said , i am the same way . Chambered and saftey on when alone . And dry when with others which is rare .rare as in hunting with other people . Nothing like still hunting for whiteys and you have to chamber a round ...

Ron.C
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM
I usually have a round chambered, safety on of course. But I now unchamber the round when navigating sketchy areas. Usually when goat hunting or going up a nasty cutblock for a bear where the risk of a bad fall is high.

For what its worth, I learned that the hard way a few years back when climbing scree for a goat, footing gave way, I fell and tumbled a few times and came to rest looking into muzzle of my loaded 30-06.

steel_ram
11-08-2019, 08:05 PM
I usually keep mine unloaded and locked in a hard case until I'm ready to shoot. A bit of a bugger in thick brush but best to be safe than sorry.

willyqbc
11-08-2019, 08:14 PM
As a millwright, I deal every day with the failure of mechanical devices. A rifle safety is not a magic on/off switch....it is a simple mechanical device which most certainly can fail.

true story.....hunting with a buddy many years ago that employed the "round in the chamber/safety on" method. we were back on the road and almost back to the truck after hiking around all morning. Buddy had his rifle on his shoulder and for no apparent reason the rifle went off, firing a round in the air ( and giving him quite the headache/earache!) ....he was out in the middle of a wide open road and was not handling the rifle, just hanging on the sling on his shoulder. we took it to a gunsmith who could find absolutely nothing wrong with it and try as he might, he could not make it fail again.

the ONLY way to be certain that a rifle cannot accidentally discharge....is to not have it loaded. I cant recall racking the bolt costing me an animal....but if it did, I can live with that.

JMO

ellenbill
11-08-2019, 08:59 PM
There Are a few people on this thread I would never hunt with. You should be able to have one in the chamber by the time you have the butt on your shoulder. If you can’t you better practice till you can. You should never depend on a safety.

PressurePoint
11-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Depends on the gun. A bolt action or semi. Not a chance. Any gun with a hammer that you can decock is better. To many firing pins can be jolted into releasing. At least with a hammer it wud have to be some how pulled back and jolted.

cptnoblivious
11-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Depends on the situation. Solo in grizzly country, one in the chamber safety on, but where I am it tends to be pretty dense. Same when stalking.

Hiking or in rough conditions, mag loaded, chamber empty. Been keeping a round in the bino harness and can load quite quietly without raking one out of the magazine.

Most importantly, discuss with hunters partners what we do, when, how and communicate when loading / unloading. No guessing.

Pauly
11-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Get charged by a bear and we’ll see if all u empty chamber guys don’t change your mind. Nothing faster than a pissed off bear. Believe me you barely have time to pull the trigger. Locked and loaded at all times even my buddies are the same. 40 years never a mishap. You kids now a days sure make me wonder. Sure don’t make em like they used to.

RiverOtter
11-09-2019, 01:46 AM
Dream up all the magical scenarios you want, to justify packing a hot rifle.

I've seen a safety stump more than one 'hunter' over the years as well, in a high pressure situation.

RiverOtter
11-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Oh ya, I've done the bear charge deal as well...
bolt cycled like a charm and bear died.

There's another cold chamber advocate in this thread who snuffed out an angry g-bear as well.

Composure is a much bigger factor in high pressure situations than a hot pipe.

But like I said earlier, I simply don't care what other guys do when they're off on their own. I just won't hunt with one who insists on packing hot when I'm in close proximity.

decker9
11-09-2019, 02:31 AM
As a millwright, I deal every day with the failure of mechanical devices. A rifle safety is not a magic on/off switch....it is a simple mechanical device which most certainly can fail.

true story.....hunting with a buddy many years ago that employed the "round in the chamber/safety on" method. we were back on the road and almost back to the truck after hiking around all morning. Buddy had his rifle on his shoulder and for no apparent reason the rifle went off, firing a round in the air ( and giving him quite the headache/earache!) ....he was out in the middle of a wide open road and was not handling the rifle, just hanging on the sling on his shoulder. we took it to a gunsmith who could find absolutely nothing wrong with it and try as he might, he could not make it fail again.

the ONLY way to be certain that a rifle cannot accidentally discharge....is to not have it loaded. I cant recall racking the bolt costing me an animal....but if it did, I can live with that.

JMO

Funny, a millwright here as well, and won’t pack a loaded (safety on) firearm for the exact same reason, Iv seen to many failsafes, fail. The odds of a safety failing, very slim, but the reward is not worth the risk imo.

Walksalot
11-09-2019, 08:29 AM
When alone I hunt with one in the chamber and the safety on. The only time the safety comes off is when the rifle is at my shoulder. When, in the company of another person, I do not have one in the chamber. I have spoken with people who only put one in the chamber when they see an animal they want to shoot. I ask them if , once a round is in the chamber, they engage the safety. Most of the time the answer is no. So, in the midst of the most intense part of the hunt they have one in the chamber without the safety being engaged. If for some reason they do not shoot right away they have a loaded rifle in their hands with no safety engaged. It is such a conditioned response to chambering a round that, at the shooting bench, I am squeezing the trigger and find out I have put the safety on.

As far as a safety being a mechanical device and mechanical devices do fail, think of the things we use in our every day lives which could be impacted by the failure of a mechanical device.

Redthies
11-09-2019, 08:55 AM
I don’t carry my rifle loaded, regardless of being alone or with others.
I don’t carry a shotgun loaded while bird hunting either.

I would far sooner miss an opportunity on an animal than take the risk of sending a bullet somewhere I didn’t intend to.

I’m assuming you mean with one in the chamber? “Not loaded” means nothing inchamber OR magazine. If you hunt birds this way, other than grouse, you’ll probably never get one. Chukar are especially fast. Once they flush, it’s usually over in less than 2 seconds.

My bolt and semi I don’t chamber a round until I’m in “close”, but I do most of my hunting with my leverguns so they can be carried with the hammer at 1/2 cock with safety on for the Marlins and decocked for the Henrys.

Livewire322
11-09-2019, 03:13 PM
I’m assuming you mean with one in the chamber? “Not loaded” means nothing inchamber OR magazine. If you hunt birds this way, other than grouse, you’ll probably never get one. Chukar are especially fast. Once they flush, it’s usually over in less than 2 seconds.

My bolt and semi I don’t chamber a round until I’m in “close”, but I do most of my hunting with my leverguns so they can be carried with the hammer at 1/2 cock with safety on for the Marlins and decocked for the Henrys.

Sure, if you want to go with the legal definition in some jurisdictions vs the functional and logical definition, then having a loaded magazine inserted into a firearm would be considered loaded.

As others in this thread have put it - a safety is a mechanical device and mechanical devices fail.

I don’t carry a firearm with a round in the chamber, and wouldn’t want to be around others doing so either.

finngun
11-09-2019, 04:57 PM
what about my way...///When gun is in my hand,,chambered is full,,,but bolt is never down..,,works at least on my tikkas.. never lost any bolt/// on my books,,that is safety way to hunt.even if i drop my gun..it wont go off...just this year my buddy had A D because he was trusting his ..safety on...system..suprised both of us..still i hunt with him,,,he never gonna do it again..now he is carrying his gun ..my way..

hawk-i
11-09-2019, 05:45 PM
The safeties on some rifles are more dangerous than other....My Kimbers 3postion and rugers 3 position have on occasion, magically moved from full safe bolt lock to ready to fire by themselves. These rifles will be empty chamber if I'm hunting with anyone else.

However I do prefer to hunt solo...camping with a group is ok but when hunting why would I want club foot joe to be following me?

finngun
11-09-2019, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=hawk-i;2130357]The safeties on some rifles are more dangerous than other..///.. yep,,this is correct...

mpotzold
11-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Never forget a hunt in the late 60s.
LT (308 LOVER) & I were moose hunting north of Fort St James.

We met at a shack near the road by a swampy area after a day’s hunt. I forgot to unload my 308 norma bolt action & when abruptly placing the rifle on the floor near the table the gun accidentally went off, the bullet hitting the tin roof.

Nowadays the chamber is always empty when rifle is slung over the shoulder.
Will chamber the rifle when alone in bushy areas & will have total control by holding the rifle in my hands. When area looks promising or there are fresh bear signs will immediately put a round in the chamber.
Any human presence or walking through rough terrain the rifle is empty.

Banker
11-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Mag is full, chamber is empty. I have a lever action Henry 45-70 and can load up fast in an emergency, maybe not as fast as a charging bear, but faster than I could unload it if I slipped and fell with my rifle pointing in an unsafe direction. I don't walk with any of my bolt actions chambered.

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2019, 12:23 PM
I usually keep mine unloaded and locked in a hard case until I'm ready to shoot. A bit of a bugger in thick brush but best to be safe than sorry.

Do you bring a separate case or just pack around the Kolpin from your quad? I figure that’s why they now make them easy to remove from the quad mount.

I agree you can never be too safe...

steel_ram
11-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Do you bring a separate case or just pack around the Kolpin from your quad? I figure that’s why they now make them easy to remove from the quad mount.

I agree you can never be too safe...

I don't have a quad. I was being facetious.

Gateholio
11-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Much of it depends on the circumstances. I often carry one in the chamber with safety on, but some circumstances dictate an empty chamber. There are a few friends that I feel comfortable next to with loaded chambers. If I do t know someone well I prefer empty chambers. I use firearms more days than I don’t so I am pretty comfortable with gun handling.

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2019, 01:21 PM
I don't have a quad. I was being facetious.

Lol. Me too...

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Much of it depends on the circumstances. I often carry one in the chamber with safety on, but some circumstances dictate an empty chamber. There are a few friends that I feel comfortable next to with loaded chambers. If I do t know someone well I prefer empty chambers. I use firearms more days than I don’t so I am pretty comfortable with gun handling.

Sums it up for me too, although I definitely don’t spend as much time with using the firearms I have.

Kopper
11-10-2019, 01:35 PM
I’m always one in the chamber/safety on. Maybe overly paranoid or have had bad luck but if you spend enough time in northern BC or the EK where the bears are dirty, you might get it. Sure it’s only a brief second to chamber a round but I’d certainly like to take out the mechanical and human error that can occur in a rushed loading. Usually alone but even with a partner I’m loaded. Muzzle control is key though.

Jeffg
11-12-2019, 09:00 AM
magazine loaded in the rifle, nothing in the chamber. I never use the safety
rack and shoot
I hunt with a Tikka so its fast and quiet

finngun
11-12-2019, 11:15 AM
My friend was really really safe and left gunbold home...garanteed no accident :lol:

MontyLake
11-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Alone: Loaded with one up the spout /safety on.

Accompanies: Magazine loaded/chamber empty.

joshbazz
11-12-2019, 11:27 AM
This Sep I had my rifle go off a without trigger pull after safety was switched off. Had a round chambered in Mule country, and was about to unload it. Thank god I've got muzzle control ingrained in my head as a new hunter.

I’ll never hike with a chambered round again EVER!