PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Mule Deer in BC - Book Recommendations???

Bandit_X6
11-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm hoping to get some Book Recommendations on Hunting Mule Deer. I'm looking for books that are more geared toward British Columbia Mule Deer vs. hunting US based Muley's.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
MB

HarryToolips
11-03-2019, 09:57 PM
BC outdoors magazine....

CranePete
11-03-2019, 11:28 PM
It’s probably hard to find, but Mike Cramond wrote a book about deer hunting in BC

Arctic Lake
11-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm hoping to get some Book Recommendations on Hunting Mule Deer. I'm looking for books that are more geared toward British Columbia Mule Deer vs. hunting US based Muley's.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
MB
Good book on Mule deer behaviour by Valerie’s Guiest not on hunting though . He is a biologist .
Arctic Lake

elknut
11-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Big Game Records of British Columbia ....Will show where animals are being taken ...Dennis

BCHunterFSJ
11-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Trophy Deer of British Columbia​ by Rick Berreth

RielM
11-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman. American book but gives good info that would apply here just the same

sakohunter
11-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Here are a few titles that may help;

Public land Mulies David Long

Hunting big Mule deer Robby Demming

Weatherby Fan
11-05-2019, 09:05 AM
In reality there is no decent book based on Hunting Mule Deer in BC,

Ive read every Mule Deer Hunting book on the planet, Jim Zumbo, Mike Eastman, David Long, Kurt Darner(poacher),Walter Prothero, Sam Curtis etc, don't get me wrong they are great books and parts of their books apply to general hunting but sifting through old HBC threads will be as much or more applicable/beneficial to hunting in BC.

Mule Deer Country by Valerius Geist is a good read on the history and habits of MD

Bandit_X6
11-25-2019, 11:41 PM
Some really great recommendations - thanks a ton gents.

twoSevenO
11-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Big Game Records of British Columbia ....Will show where animals are being taken ...Dennis

Nothing prevents you from lying on your submission.

A buck shot in tulameen can easily be entered as a princeton buck. Not much help when you go out hunting other than to tell you which parts of the province trophies tend to come out of. (The answer is all regions lol)

elknut
11-26-2019, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your negative comment...At least the entries are in the ballpark...a person can read the entries and at least concentrate on a town or watershed...Repeat entries in the book help you zero in on a general area ..Better to plan for Princeton than Hope ...Just reading the entries will help a person decide on a area to go ...Maps and google earth will show him backroads ...Dennis

twoSevenO
11-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your negative comment...At least the entries are in the ballpark...a person can read the entries and at least concentrate on a town or watershed...Repeat entries in the book help you zero in on a general area ..Better to plan for Princeton than Hope ...Just reading the entries will help a person decide on a area to go ...Maps and google earth will show him backroads ...Dennis

Your comment is dumb. Hope is better than princeton if blacktails are what you're after.

Telling someone a general "princeton" area just because the book has 20 entries out of there is like me telling you to follow your dreams and move Nashville because that's where Taylor swift got her start and it will work for you

BRrooster
11-26-2019, 05:46 PM
I don't know. A general area that has 20 entries would appeal to me more than an area that has 5. We all know that nutrition , minerals in the ground, terrain, and even weather along with many other factors can affect animal health and trophy quality......

GEF
11-26-2019, 07:43 PM
As far as the record book goes ,look at the dates of harvest .The areas all will change with pressure, habitat ,fires ,clear cuts ,roads etc.I would tend to look at big scoring racks in small numbers of entries and cross reference it with access and terrain that is directly connected with pressure.How hard are you willing to work ?

elknut
11-27-2019, 09:31 PM
The person was interested in mule deer not blacktails ...So yes Princeton is better than Hope ..As for dumb comments you seem to have that category wrapped up ...You offer nothing to the person asking questions but negative comments to people trying to throw out an idea..Another person suggested a book by Rick Berreth .....Trophy deer of BC and you never knocked his suggestion ..Unless you want to be a mentor and have something constructive to add then just ..............OFF....Dennis.......Oh this is for twosevenO...

backcountry99
11-28-2019, 12:18 PM

When somebody kills a big animal and tells you we’re they got it especially if it’s online or in a book available to the general public they are lieing. No different then reading posts on here take location with a grain of salt

twoSevenO
11-28-2019, 12:25 PM
When somebody kills a big animal and tells you we’re they got it especially if it’s online or in a book available to the general public they are lieing. No different then reading posts on here take location with a grain of salt

Exactly! This guy gets it.