PDA

View Full Version : Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

Princeton.kennedy
11-01-2019, 08:42 PM
I'm really hoping to get my first spike bull moose this year. I know, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I have the advantage of seeing TWO spike bulls in September. I've never seen them this close to opening so I'm pretty optimistic. Any tips? Do they wander very far/am I wasting my time going back to the swamp I saw the one in?

Should I be cow calling or bull moose calling to try and get him to come to me?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!

Pioneerman
11-01-2019, 08:46 PM
If you are using a bull call, you might get them to turn tail and leave if they have been pushed around once by a bigger bull during the rut. I would think a cow call might be a better choice as they might think it is a cow coming into late heat and try to get closer to her. Good luck

Pauly
11-01-2019, 09:19 PM
I'm really hoping to get my first spike bull moose this year. I know, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I have the advantage of seeing TWO spike bulls in September. I've never seen them this close to opening so I'm pretty optimistic. Any tips? Do they wander very far/am I wasting my time going back to the swamp I saw the one in?

Should I be cow calling or bull moose calling to try and get him to come to me?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!
September? Good luck . Long gone my friend. Rut is over and bulls are hunkered down and won’t budge. Calling is a waste of time. With no snow to determine the right area it’s tough. Even for the best moose hunters.

HarryToolips
11-02-2019, 02:30 AM
^^^^ not always....in reg 8 two years ago I witnessed a cow moose just balling and moaning in the timber, and a big mature bull grunting back and heading to meet her,..they do occasionally still rut in November...if I were you OP I'd try strictly cow calling as suggested higher above..

Pauly
11-02-2019, 05:39 AM
^^^^ not always....in reg 8 two years ago I witnessed a cow moose just balling and moaning in the timber, and a big mature bull grunting back and heading to meet her,..they do occasionally still rut in November...if I were you OP I'd try strictly cow calling as suggested higher above..
I agree but that’s the secondary rut.. cows that were missed coming into heat because they were missed in their first cycle. Big bulls won’t tolerate small immys hanging around. It’s possible but not likely

randymac
11-02-2019, 07:28 AM
we got a 3 x 3 bull around third week of October a few years ago that was hanging around a cow waiting to get lucky..

HarryToolips
11-02-2019, 10:49 AM
I agree but that’s the secondary rut.. cows that were missed coming into heat because they were missed in their first cycle. Big bulls won’t tolerate small immys hanging around. It’s possible but not likely
Ah ok..............

tigrr
11-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Check out where you've seen them before. Chances are they are still there. Unless someone else has found them.

cameron0518
11-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Either you can hope one is still around and sit where you saw them or hunt for them just like you would anything else. There isn't anything that will give you an edge. Perhaps a trail cam pic that was taken in the last while? Get out there and have fun. Good luck. Post it if you get one!

srupp
11-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Hmmm..kind of seeing things differently.hunting moose Nov. .its all about food..from ass to grass..lo the big bulls as has been correctly pointed out are resting..weary in well doing since late sept.
some amount of cows are still open..didnt get bred.didnt catch...however its now the smaller bulls singing put me in coach..im ready to play..
For over 90 % of the moose its all about and only about food..moose now consume 40..45 pounds of browse each day. .think 3 wheelbarrows full of twigs.in between its in the forest canopy bedding area .
Trips to food are short..think 300 yards..or less..straight line there straight line back..
First thing in am..look along tree line..cut blocks ,meadows...for moose warming up to first rays of suns warmth..literally melting frost off their backs..then check red willow, food..then head into the bedding areas slowly. .walking into the wind..you wont fool a loaf bread sized nose..
its a tough hunt..but thats the strategies..
Good luck.
Srupp

monasheemountainman
11-02-2019, 03:24 PM
our group got a nice two point yesterday. only 5 more tags to fill :D

Bustercluck
11-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Personally, I think cow calling in November scares away more moose than it attracts. I’ve heard of this late rut, but haven’t witnessed it. They seem to get there senses back by then and get smarter than us.

Bustercluck
11-02-2019, 03:56 PM
our group got a nice two point yesterday. only 5 more tags to fill :D
Did you call him in or stumble across him?

srupp
11-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Personally, I think cow calling in November scares away more moose than it attracts. I’ve heard of this late rut, but haven’t witnessed it. They seem to get there senses back by then and get smarter than us.

hmmm I agree that the rut is over for most all..however it is a option..I have had success once in a lot of years..I tend to not hunt the late season but when I do I follow the food..find the food you find the moose..im not willing to say it will frighten the moose...as it is natural and does happen..but the odds are quitly find the bedding..feeding....watch the wind...
During the rut..moose pee..calling they find you..now you must find them..in their back yard..
Srupp

Bustercluck
11-02-2019, 04:46 PM
hmmm I agree that the rut is over for most all..however it is a option..I have had success once in a lot of years..I tend to not hunt the late season but when I do I follow the food..find the food you find the moose..im not willing to say it will frighten the moose...as it is natural and does happen..but the odds are quitly find the bedding..feeding....watch the wind...
During the rut..moose pee..calling they find you..now you must find them..in their back yard..
Srupp
I think their call changes too. They definitely talk to each other all year long, but a guy probably has to figure out what kind of call to use other than the one they use during the rut.

I can’t agree more with you on the food thing in the late season. I’ve run into a few spots in the middle of winter where’ve they’ve eaten everything in sight and trampled the whole place. Particularly at the end of lakes where the water runs in or out and is flat.

monasheemountainman
11-02-2019, 04:58 PM
I would never bother calling in november for moose. im sure its worked before but I like to hunt quietly and only call when that specific animal is in rut.

Pauly
11-02-2019, 05:17 PM
I would never bother calling in november for moose. im sure its worked before but I like to hunt quietly and only call when that specific animal is in rut.
Went out today and came across a 3x3 with two cows... bummer lol so close I tried hard to make a point disappear lol but it didn’t!! Had a good view for a half hour before the wind swirled and off they went. Saw a bigger bull at a distance but just a brief glimpse. Good day over all. Saw one big 3x2 get taken in the middle of the road.

srupp
11-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Hmmm moose do find wintering areas..always secluded..little disruption..and always lots and lots of food..I know 2 wintering areas..one can have up to 100 moose in a relatively small area...ive personally have seen in one January 1 morning...the other has between 40..60 moose...again food..lots and lots of food...however I dont know how far moose need to move...there still seems to be moose numbers most places with food..deer I know move from the entire Caribou mountains to the Fraser river basin....hundreds and hundreds of deer funneling through several narrow valleys...3,500 and more deer winter in small areas along the Fraser south of this wintering area..numbers of exceeding 7,000 deer....
same goes for moose..after the rut..moose only think of food in a secure enviroment.
Physically locate the food...with snow you can locate tracks..however tall timber close by..bedding..
Good luck
Srupp

ratherbefishin
11-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Never seen an immature...called lots of bigger bulls,but never a legal immature.Scares me, I once saw
what I THOUGHT was a legal immature ,only to see a small point that made it illegal...