PDA

View Full Version : Have the wall tent...now what else?

Seeker
10-31-2019, 02:37 PM
My hunting partner just picked up a wall tent after years of contemplating. I ask the question of all wall tent users, with a wall tent set up, what are a few of your "luxuries" or "necessities" that you like to make your camp more enjoyable? We have cots, tables, generator and lights and a few other little things. Fire away....

wideopenthrottle
10-31-2019, 02:44 PM
wood stove (a chainsaw turns a few liters of fuel into a chord of wood). extra tiedown ropes

hawk-i
10-31-2019, 02:46 PM
Mouse traps!

460s&w
10-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Leave generator at home!! Use lanterns and headlamps

albravo2
10-31-2019, 03:17 PM
I have a diesel heater that I used with mine. Wood is nice but I didn't like the burn holes in my tent from cinders escaping the chimney. Diesel also lets you leave it on very low all night which makes a huge difference in the morning.

twoSevenO
10-31-2019, 03:19 PM
I have a diesel heater that I used with mine. Wood is nice but I didn't like the burn holes in my tent from cinders escaping the chimney. Diesel also lets you leave it on very low all night which makes a huge difference in the morning.

how many BTU and what size tent?

Seth
10-31-2019, 03:31 PM

We actually take a 12v fluorescent light fixture (18” long) with a 15’ cord equipped with battery terminal clamps on it and a small 12v battery out of an “old person sidewalk scooter”. It works awesome and last more than the 10 days we usually go. Zap strap the fixture to the ridge pole and run the wire along your poles.

Seeker
10-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Mouse traps!

I like that!

Seeker
10-31-2019, 03:36 PM

I tried to talk my buddy into the diesel heater after arriving at a previous camp in the rain and having to try and find dry wood and get anything we cut to burn in order to dry out our gear. Unfortunately Perry did not have any in stock when things were ordered and my hunting partner grabbed a wood outfitter stove. Not the end all, but we'll have to make sure we get our wood in order.

Seeker
10-31-2019, 03:39 PM

I was wondering about that. Probably the first thing someone would steal and really all we need it for is lights. Ill look into the fluorescent.

albravo2
10-31-2019, 03:40 PM
how many BTU and what size tent?

Don't remember exactly on either count. IIRC it was 45,000 BTU, an old Army surplus unit. There were a bunch of them around a few years ago now they are hard to find. The tent was 24', a converted Costco garage. We used it early season up around Fort Nelson, kept the tent toasty when it dropped to -5. For real winter conditions that tent was just too damn big to keep warm.

Edit, thought it was 60kbtu but found a similar looking one on line and it said 45kbtu

Ron.C
10-31-2019, 03:42 PM
I just did my first hunt in a wall tent. We were on cots with a wood stove. A lantern and headlamps are all thats needed. Id leave the generator at home unless you are bringing it for another purpose like a freezer.

I also tarped my tent.

Make sure you properly stake down the tent/tarp on day one !!!!!! The stakes I had were not suitable for a wall tent . We are going to make some 18" steel stakes before out next hunt

whognu
10-31-2019, 03:43 PM
tarp cut to floor size

and area carpet - design not too important; florals are nice; dogs playing cards also work

in our 12x14 tent our carpet is about 7 x 9 - no need for coverage under cots (yet the tarp is 12 x 14)

pure luxury on those cold mornings!!!

astro turf is not carpet.........

also, we tie down 4 corners of tent tarp with logs not pegs

RackStar
10-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Good thread, good ideas.

I decided after this season I will no longer be roughing it.

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2019, 03:57 PM
A roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting, maybe a tarp under it. Someplace to hang your wet clothing. Since I had an internal frame , I was able to hang a couple 1/2" EMT tubes from the frame with some 1/4" rope behind the stove.. Coat hangers help. The most effective mouse trap is the pail of water, wire and a baited beer can. Instead of making pegs, I used 12" spikes with a 1/4" plastic washer, that I made like a fender washer. Bungees for tarp ropes. The poles went in a couple of boxes, the connectors and the bases in a gunny sack. I had a rubber hammer to put the poles in the connectors and take apart. I had made them to pretty close tolerances. A claw hammer to pull and drive the spikes. Kitty litter for the bottom of the airtight. A heavy welding glove so you can stuff the airtight, the more you pack in the longer your burn. Of course extra beer so your partner has to get up in the middle of the night.

Seeker
10-31-2019, 03:57 PM
I just did my first hunt in a wall tent. We were on cots with a wood stove. A lantern and headlamps are all thats needed. Id leave the generator at home unless you are bringing it for another purpose like a freezer.

I also tarped my tent.

Make sure you properly stake down the tent/tarp on day one !!!!!! The stakes I had were not suitable for a wall tent . We are going to make some 18" steel stakes before out next hunt

I read your thread re: wall tents. A good read. How long were the stakes you used? 18" is ahh..a big stake! Take a bit of hammering. I'll certainly look into stakes. Thanks.

Seeker
10-31-2019, 03:59 PM
A roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting, maybe a tarp under it. Someplace to hang your wet clothing. Since I had an internal frame , I was able to hang a couple 1/2" EMT tubes from the frame with some 1/4" rope behind the stove.. Coat hangers help. The most effective mouse trap is the pail of water, wire and a baited beer can. Instead of making pegs, I used 12" spikes with a 1/4" plastic washer, that I made like a fender washer. Bungees for tarp ropes. The poles went in a couple of boxes, the connectors and the bases in a gunny sack. I had a rubber hammer to put the poles in the connectors and take apart. I had made them to pretty close tolerances. A claw hammer to pull and drive the spikes. Kitty litter for the bottom of the airtight. A heavy welding glove so you can stuff the airtight, the more you pack in the longer your burn. Of course extra beer so your partner has to get up in the middle of the night.

One buddy simply shovelled dirt into the bottom of the stove rather than kitty litter. Seemed to work. Is there any reason in particular for using kitty litter?

Can never have too much beer.

Good ideas, thanks.

lakelander
10-31-2019, 04:05 PM

Is that safe...I'd be worried about carbon monoxide

Ron.C
10-31-2019, 04:30 PM
I read your thread re: wall tents. A good read. How long were the stakes you used? 18" is ahh..a big stake! Take a bit of hammering. I'll certainly look into stakes. Thanks.

Our stakes were about 10" long. We had a wind storm blow on on the last afternoon that proved these were not good enough.

In any case, you wont regret your decision. Ive never been more comfortable on a hunt as I was in my wall tent.

Bustercluck
10-31-2019, 04:35 PM
We usually bring a generator for moose hunting if you’re going for ten days or so. My brother brings his 2000w Honda invertor with this adapter for running it off of a boat tank. It lasts for quite a few days like that with running electric heat. He would also bring his freezer. Fresh ice cubes with the whisky every night and we didn’t have to throw any food out when we got home. Almost every year we seem to shoot something early in the hunt so we get it butchered right away and go back to hunting. Pick up the meat from the butcher, throw it in the freezer and drive home.

I second the diesel furnace. I haven’t used one, but I don’t like wood. It’s too hot all night and then goes out and very cold. Other than drying your gear out there’s not too many plus sides for me.

my brother in law brought a small water pump one year and a hot water on demand thing that runs on propane. A complete luxury in my books, but it’s pretty nice to have a shower after being elbow deep in moose guts all afternoon.

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2019, 04:52 PM
I've used sand, sandy dirt , ash and floor dry. You don't want any thing that can burn, you need it for insulation. That's only a thin gauge . Kitty litter and floor dry are about the same. Each hunting trip, the company supplied half a 5 gal pail of floor dry. More than enough. I just mentioned kitty litter because it's so quick and easy. Use fresh BTW. You dump it out when packing up. I think ash promotes corrosion ?

RiverOtter
10-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Hasn't been mentioned, but mice are almost guaranteed, so old bed sheets/poly/small clean tarp to cover tables, cots etc while you're out is nice peace of mind. A single mouse turd on my pillow is a big deal. Haha.
Definitely bring traps and a rigged bucket in case the traps fill while you're out hunting.

A canning pot or similar to keep hot water on hand for washing, tea, etc. Stove is burning anyway, so might as well save the propane for cooking duties.

boxhitch
10-31-2019, 06:16 PM
We actually take a 12v fluorescent light fixture (18” long) with a 15’ cord equipped with battery terminal clamps on it and a small 12v battery out of an “old person sidewalk scooter”. It works awesome and last more than the 10 days we usually go. Zap strap the fixture to the ridge pole and run the wire along your poles.Old school. Now its the 12v led rope lights, run on AA batteries, 16 to 30 ft long, with remote

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2019, 06:29 PM
H*ll, fluorescents are new, I started with a white gas Coleman. But did end up with a 12v fluorescent, only one that took 8 D batteries. Good thing the company supplied batteries as well as floor dry.

Brno22F
10-31-2019, 06:35 PM
We bring a bunch of 2ft x 2ft interlocking foam floor panels for our Cabelas Bighorn tent. They protect the tent floor and allow us to use cots without worring about the legs of the cots puncturing the floor. They are also easy to clean, dry and warm to walk on with socks or barefoot.
Also use a Camp Chef wood stove. With enough stove pipe and a spark catcher on top, we have no issues with sparks burning holes in the tent.

Mulehahn
10-31-2019, 07:43 PM
We to use the foam pads but the biggest thing I enjoy is one of those wood stove fans (powered by heat). Always found a huge temperature difference between top 2/3 and ground. Can be dweating in cot and the dogs water will freeze on the ground

gutpile
10-31-2019, 08:10 PM
You guys with wall tents , do you ever worry about someone stealing your tent when your hunting ?

Bustercluck
10-31-2019, 08:13 PM
I wouldn’t worry as long as I didn’t have to cross any fn road blocks on my way in...

whitlers
10-31-2019, 08:51 PM
You guys with wall tents , do you ever worry about someone stealing your tent when your hunting ?

Been lucky for a long time. All the expensive gear rifle, optics etc is usually on my person. Haven't had an issue. That being said I have heard stories.

boxhitch
10-31-2019, 09:06 PM
we came back to a home made shelter one day, the blue tarp sides were missing but the roof tin was still there
place looked like the skeleton of a ship wreck
only took a couple hours to collect all the wind-blown items and reconstruct
note to self - use more and longer staples

never thought about anyone stealing items, have things really deteriorated that much ?

Moose63
10-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Old school. Now its the 12v led rope lights, run on AA batteries, 16 to 30 ft long, with remote

Do you have a brand name or web link on where to get this?

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2019, 10:43 PM
I never worried about someone stealing it, simply too much work. If you add a 4" foam to the cot, you will be reluctant to go home. A 1/2" closed cell foam under the 4" makes the stove damm near optional.

Norwestalta
11-01-2019, 05:42 AM
I sure like the internal frame on mine. We have a old wood fired cook stove that is the cats azz. Nothing like having a roast beef for supper. Ive also got a Yukon 1950 wood/diesel heater for mine. Wall tents are surprisingly comfortable.

Islandeer
11-01-2019, 05:59 AM
Rebar pegs, Princess Auto canvas tarp floor, oven from an old camper, big wood stove. Ours is now a 16x20 palace.

hawk-i
11-01-2019, 06:38 AM
I like that!

We were up to a dozen traps ...once the lights went out they were full in 15 minutes.

That was with the tent set up on the edge of a meadow with a one foot snow coverage...kinda had them thinned out a bit by the second week.

Squamch
11-01-2019, 06:41 AM
Rebar pegs, Princess Auto canvas tarp floor, oven from an old camper, big wood stove. Ours is now a 16x20 palace.

What size rebar? I would think 12m would bend too easily?

XPEIer
11-01-2019, 07:06 AM
we use a 12 volt battery, small inverter and a trouble light with an LED light in it,,, hangs from the ridge pole in the center of the tent, works great. An old pool cover (tarp) folded about 6 times and cut to fit works great for the floor we have never had we feet. Small folding chairs, each guy has one by their bed which is great as a night stand or for getting dressed, we also put the chair (expanded) under our cot foam for the day to let the foam dry out more. We made a new stove out of a propane bottle made sure it had a rack on the top so you can put a double boiler system made out of large tin foil pans on it,,, set a casserole on there at lunch time and by time home from evening hunt it is all warmed up.

Man I missed going to camp this year.

XPEIER

ps, our wall tent is actually a pop up garage, we have one for sleeping and one for kitchen

Islandeer
11-01-2019, 07:15 AM
What size rebar? I would think 12m would bend too easily?
Not sure, they don’t bend

srupp
11-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Hmmm great suggestions from some obviously clever experienced outdoors persons..I look forward to sleeping in wall tents because of the wood heat..clothes dry, one truly gets warm and a good stove, dry wood and experienced operator can fine tune the heat out put like a fine fiddle.
I was a guest in a DELUXE wall tent..sponsor? The stove had 2 water jackets, one on each side.so always had hot water..plus it had a fan on the stove that was brass? Anyhow it operated on heat..no batteries, no cord..when the stove heated this fan produced very decent air movement..
I had bought a Cabelas big man ..w I d e cot..rated for 1300 pounds..plus their delux mattress.it has an organizer along the one side of the length of the cot..rifle..TP...magazine..clock etc etc.
Then at the foot end it has a rack for hanging cloths. .anyhow very stable, soft, comfortable organized sleeping setup for a wall tent .
Bills idea on LED strand is exellent, some sort of flooring..old carpet over tarp makes an inexpensive process .
Love to see photos once you have it set up the way you like it.
The front vestebule add on is sure nice too.
cheers
Srupp

460s&w
11-01-2019, 07:44 AM
We just got back from a 7 day trip. Gotta love the wall tenthttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1

Darksith
11-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Rubber roofing membrane for a floor. Get it bigger so you can turn up the material inside the interior frame, no water can get in period, unless you don't do that haha, then water will come in real easy

backstrap
11-01-2019, 08:26 AM
A clothes line of some sort. I have a rope tied between the rafters well above the stove with a bunch of hangers. Dry warm clothes every day.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Is that safe...I'd be worried about carbon monoxide

They have new....ish diesel stoves that vent like a wood stove and have some pretty sweet upside. Little more pricey, but burn longer, easy to get fuel, no need to have to get wood in sub-optimal conditions, etc. I like the wood heat. For the most part,I enjoy getting wood.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 09:12 AM
we just got back from a 7 day trip. Gotta love the wall tenthttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7642&stc=1

nicely done!

Salty
11-01-2019, 09:24 AM
The weak link is the tent pegs as has been said in a storm you need beefy ones. But just hit the hardware store not the camping section. Over time I've got an assortment of 6, 8 and 10 inch spikes. Look at the arnox (spiraled) spikes they go in easy and hold really well. Don't forget a claw hammer or crow bar to get them out.

Arctic Lake
11-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Hmmm great suggestions from some obviously clever experienced outdoors persons..I look forward to sleeping in wall tents because of the wood heat..clothes dry, one truly gets warm and a good stove, dry wood and experienced operator can fine tune the heat out put like a fine fiddle.
I was a guest in a DELUXE wall tent..sponsor? The stove had 2 water jackets, one on each side.so always had hot water..plus it had a fan on the stove that was brass? Anyhow it operated on heat..no batteries, no cord..when the stove heated this fan produced very decent air movement..
I had bought a Cabelas big man ..w I d e cot..rated for 1300 pounds..plus their delux mattress.it has an organizer along the one side of the length of the cot..rifle..TP...magazine..clock etc etc.
Then at the foot end it has a rack for hanging cloths. .anyhow very stable, soft, comfortable organized sleeping setup for a wall tent .
Bills idea on LED strand is exellent, some sort of flooring..old carpet over tarp makes an inexpensive process .
Love to see photos once you have it set up the way you like it.
The front vestebule add on is sure nice too.
cheers
Srupp

Mr.Rupp Those fans are available at Lee Valley and probably anyplace that sells wood stoves for residential heating.
Arctic Lake

Salty
11-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Another tent peg idea, I got a bunch of 8 or 10 inch by 3/8 lag bolts and brought along the Milwaukee cordless driver. Boom, done. To be honest I've only done that a couple times it could be considered over kill. Not a bad plan to have a driver and some lag bolts with for an extended trip. If you've got a stuborn peg or spike that wants to loosen drive a long lag bolt in there instead.

BCBRAD
11-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Another tent peg idea, I got a bunch of 8 or 10 inch by 3/8 lag bolts and brought along the Milwaukee cordless driver. Boom, done. To be honest I've only done that a couple times it could be considered over kill. Not a bad plan to have a driver and some lag bolts with for an extended trip. If you've got a stuborn peg or spike that wants to loosen drive a long lag bolt in there instead.

Never had a problem with 18" 5/8ths rod with a nut and washer welded to the end, use an adjustable wrench to turn it round and round , now can be removed by hand.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Great tips folks, thanks for em all. Looks like I have a few "luxuries" to grab before the weekend.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 10:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/1uAt06xm.jpg (https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/fireplace/woodstove/50246-ecofan)

A little pricey but they look cool!

BRvalley
11-01-2019, 10:35 AM
those eco fans work nicely, most home hardware locations sell them too

longwalk
11-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Couple of things that I have picked up over the years. A pressurized zodi shower. Very nice to have a hot shower every couple of days. Keeps your bedding in better shape. For those that have a sidewall stove jack, some heavy duty aluminum foil tucked between the wall and stove pipe on the inside where it exits the tent keeps the wall from getting scorched on the days you are running your stove wide open.
Princess auto sells milsurp tent pegs that are excellent for holding and durability.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 10:36 AM
I find these are great to get the fire started. Saves on having to bring tonnes of newspaper.

https://i.imgur.com/EJUE1qrm.png (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mag-torch-self-light-torch-0587508p.html#srp)

gutpile
11-01-2019, 10:59 AM
I bring a couple bundles presto logs burns longer and gives off better heat .

11-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I have these hanging pouches and gun bags and storage bags for binos gloves gear or whatever. They hang from the inside horizontal sidewall poles. They store 2 guns and lots of other gear in below pouches. Made from the same type of material the tents made of. I got this entire set up from Northwest Wall tents in Surrey.
I also made a few hanging shelves that really come in handy in the add on kitchen area. Above the stove and tables.
When i ordered my tent i also got frank to add on clear vinyl windows with velcro on the inside to make the window adjustable if its too warm inside .....simply adjust the hieght.....air in air out. Besides tge outside canvas roll up windows.
My tent was ordered as a 12x14 but i asked frank to add on a 12x8 add on kitchen. This can also be used as a 12x22 . This is purely an option to put on or leave off. It attaches along the entire roof and sidewall seams with 2 inch velcro and is terrific. Frank also installed 2 stove pipe locations one on end wall one on side wall. Different hieghts.
I asked that no poles be longer than 5 1/2 feet for travelling in a short box truck.
Full vinyl rain fly tarp......full vinyl floor attaches all sides with velcro also but dont use it much.
Lovin it glamping while hunting.
You wont regret getting into a wall tent just care for it properly or its toast.
Yes mouse traps r a must. We got 6 LEH draws for Mice......filled all authorizations with ease. Take or make traps.in

lambchop
11-01-2019, 11:12 AM
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/3/63483_W3.jpgUse one of these fron Harbour Frieght. Only use three bulbs

fozzy
11-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you need a couple of the CO2 powered good nature mouse traps, the mice would be stacked up like cord wood in the morning.

We were up to a dozen traps ...once the lights went out they were full in 15 minutes.

That was with the tent set up on the edge of a meadow with a one foot snow coverage...kinda had them thinned out a bit by the second week.

saltybuck
11-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Mouse traps!

Definitely a must. Last moose trip with wall tent we caught 21 mice around tent in first few nights. Nightmare if you don't bring traps.

Seeker
11-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Longwalks - suggested Princess Auto 16" Milsurp tent pegs - 5.99 each

https://i.imgur.com/afhJn1ul.jpg

Downwindtracker2
11-01-2019, 11:31 AM
I used KMS connectors to make the vestibule kitchen. Just put a tarp over it. I made a couple of folding tables,2'x4' piece of plywood and those folding legs. Now I would simply buy a couple of those plastic fold-up tables. I used one inside across from the stove for eating and sitting, the other outside for the Coleman stove, a three burner. I had a Coleman lantern above it ,for cooking morning breakfast. The first chairs I used were old folding ones from a card table set, later ones were Canadian tire on sale for $9.99.

Downwindtracker2
11-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Make yourself a wonagan (sp) . That's Canadian word for box of cooking stuff, plates cutlery, pots and pans. Mine was just a simple box, but others have made them so they sat on their sides with slots. Grab it and go.

Wagonmaster
11-01-2019, 05:35 PM
I made these for my deer fence...1 by 1 cedar. Can make them as long as you want and they seem to hold quite well. Super cheap. That little piece in the middle is nothing, just used it to prop up for photo. Commercial ones seem pricey to me and too smooth, so they don't hold all that well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_2359.jpeg

Wagonmaster
11-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Drill hole for the screws so the wood does not split.

The Hermit
11-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Luxury Items
1) MAP Gas burner (like a propane torch only way better)... makes lighting the stove even with damp wood a simple task!
2) Talk to Jim at Polar Bear Equipment (makes great wall tents) and buy one of his clothes hammocks... awesome for storing and drying wet gear when the fire is going and keeps the mice and snakes out of your boots!
3) A porch on your tent. Polar Bear Equipment. Use it for your kitchen.
4) Get a great cooler
5) and the creme de la creme - inline propane driven hot water shower running off a 12 volt battery pump! A month in camp is a holiday!

boxhitch
11-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Do you have a brand name or web link on where to get this?found ours States-side , similar to ones on Amazon.ca

boxhitch
11-01-2019, 09:19 PM
All this talk about luxurys ......and no one mentions blue rigid insulation for the outhouse seat

twoSevenO
11-01-2019, 09:28 PM
All this talk about luxurys ......and no one mentions blue rigid insulation for the outhouse seat

We bring 2 pieces and put them between the cots and the exterior wall. Makes a huge difference when the fire dies down. So cozy :)

twoSevenO
11-01-2019, 09:40 PM
A few things I learned in my limiter exposure to wall tent style of hunting:

-Bring slippers
-Good bedding! I use a cot, thermarest, memory foam, thick blanket as a bed sheet .... seriously more comfortable than my bed at home.
-a small broom
-long ass screws and an impact driver. Useful for setting up around camp for us.
- hooks or coat hangers for hanging shit up especially if mice are an issue.

Downwindtracker2
11-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Box-In-The-Bush is 22"x16"x16". I make it with the cheapest plywood I can find , as in free. Ripped 2x4s for frame. Finding $2 seats at the thrift store is getting hard, so for the last few years I've had to use the cheapest Walmart ones. Those pick axe hoes help with tree roots for the hole, as well as making camp sites. The best locations have a good view.

Ubertuber
11-02-2019, 01:07 PM
LED lighting is the best.
I bought two 16 foot lengths of 12v LED ligh strips off ebay. 300 lights per roll, but you can cut them to any length desired.. They were under $10 each. Also picked up a remote control dimmer for them. A 12V motorbike battery was all we needed to light up the tent, porch and cooking area for two weeks. No annoying generator was the real bonus.
A diesel stove is nice. Burns all night, no fuss no muss no smell. I was a wood stove diehard, but then I reluctantly tried a diesel stove. No going back, it's so much better than wood. No need to stoke fire in the middle of the night and runs all day on very little fuel.
If you are going to use a wood stove, throw in an ice cream bucket size load of charcoal briquettes along with as much wood as can fit before bed. It will keep the fire smoldering all night long and keep the chill out.
Have a proper damper on your stove pipe as well as fitting wood stove rope gasket around your door. Your burn time will improve drastically.
A Zodi or similar portable shower is a true luxury.
Bring a rake to help prep you tent site. A snow shovel is a good idea if snow is in the forecast.
Skip the plastic tent pegs and get some sort of steel pegs. I use 18 inch long eyebolts that came off old Hydro poles. Easy to pound in and easy to pull out.
As said by others, a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpet over a tarp will keep your feet warm and dry. Skip the astro turf and buy carpet.

hoochie
11-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Definitely a must. Last moose trip with wall tent we caught 21 mice around tent in first few nights. Nightmare if you don't bring traps.

I dont want to jinx myself, but in 4 years having a wall tent, never ever have we had problems with mice or rodents. the thing that drives me nuts is that at night flies get into the tarp and bounce off the walls. drives me nuts. they come in for the heat I guess.
the wood stove... best I can recall is getting about 3 hours sleep before having to add more wood. not the best nights sleep, but i am warm and dry.
My wife and i sleep on a queen size air mattress with a blanket underneath and a -18 sleeping bag over us like a blanket. woken up kinda sweaty in the morning and went outside for a leak.. it was like -18 or -19... I had no idea it was that cold outside, cause we were so comfortable in the tent.
internal frame tent, 10X12 with a 5' overhang out front.
I place plywood under the stove now as sometimes I have had embers hit the floor and almost melt a hole in it. tent has a water proof flooring that velcros to the tent itself.
love the wall tent, but its not for short trips, and it sucks breaking camp in the rain or heavy snow.

Downwindtracker2
11-02-2019, 04:41 PM
If I had a couple of trucks for packing, I would have made a real stove instead of using a 22" tin airtight. It would have been a side opening, that photo of a used one looks pretty good. Needs a tight gasket fitting door and an adjustable air intake. A well stoked new 22" goes about 5 hours . As they get old or even once if they are overheated, they warp , letting more air in, thus a hotter shorter burn. Most hunters have little or no idea how to use a tin airtight, thus the nick name hippy killer. I've seen them glowing !!

ActionJackson017
11-02-2019, 05:11 PM
One of those Zodis or equivalent look like a real awesome addition to our supplies for our wall tent. Heck, we've historically just heated up a pot of hot water on top of the wood stove and use a face-cloth with soapy water to "shower"... essentially it's just the dude sponge bath, but I tell you, when it's -10C outside even THAT is luxurious after a long day in the bush.. But wow, the Zodi looks like next level.

For those who have it - what do you do? Set it up outside obviously, but how do you shower using the unit outdoors? What do you stand on? I've always imagined getting 4 milk cartons and zap-strapping them together for a small platform to stand on to shower on top, but do you just shower voyeur style in the open and hope the squirrels aren't laughing too hard at the shrinkage?

And I completely agree with twoSevenO on having a good sleep system. I put a 4 inch memory foam topper on the cot, then nice thick flannel sheets on top. I have a -18C MEC bag and put a light -4C Coleman bag on top of that even, and I've found that to be the ticket. The 2nd blanket somehow traps the heat and makes the MEC bag function like a damn heated blanket. I honestly sleep better outside in the bush than I do at home.

Aaron600
11-02-2019, 05:59 PM
This is the first year we got mice. Ill be buying a couple mouse traps for next season. We run our cots with a small hike/tent air mattresses with a -32 bag.

blackbart
11-02-2019, 08:15 PM
The mice this year are bad. Really really really bad. But on the positive the hawk and owl numbers are way up!

mpotzold
11-02-2019, 10:02 PM
I lived in a wall tent for 4 seasons in the remote Yukon wilderness in the mid 60's when a youngster.

Our camp had 2 sleeping tents & 1 a cooking/office tent.

The sleeping tents were heated by the big barrel wood stove & the cooking tent had a regular wood stove & a white gas stove(Coleman if I recall).
The lanterns used white gas.
Where the chimney joined the tent was fortified with asbestos lining. Never had a fire problem.

We always had a pail of water in each tent in case of a fire etc.

Remember when the temp dipped to minus 60 F & more(the gauge couldn't read it anymore) in the mid winter for many days. It was so cold that glass of water thrown out would instantly turn to ice.
The boots in the morning felt like they were made out of wood.

We tried to keep the fire on in the barrel stove all night.

Steel pegs were used to tie down the tents.

Never had mice,rat or other rodent problems inside the tents.

Burning evergreen branches got rid of the bugs.

Used a 5 star Pioneer sleeping bag.
In the winter had Stanfield's all wool total body long johns.

Never had a bear problem.
One of the FN guys shot a wolverine one evening that was extremely aggressive.

I have been a camper guy since the early 70's but if I was to stay in a wall tent again I would get an electric fence for bears.

Cordillera
11-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Welding blanket for under wood stove. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-x-6-ft-welding-blanket/A-p8485245e

Good quality griddle for pancakes. This is pricy but worth every penny. https://overlandoutfitters.ca/products/partner-steel-12-x-22-griddle

Lots of suggestions here about how to keep your tent warm at night. Another option is to sleep in a cold tent. Bring a good sleeping bag and insulated thermarest. Saves getting up at night. We use the wall tent as a pure dry tent and bring nylon tents to sleep in. Or one person sleeps in the wall tent. The dude who snores goes away from camp and the rest of us sleep well.

And my favourite...build a sauna. After your meat is hung and you have time to kill. Build a small structure out of poles. About five by five by five. Dig the ends into the ground. This works best on a nice sandy beach. Cover it with vapour barrier. Use thumb tacks to hold it to the structure. Make a dirty big fire for about three hours and heat a bunch of rocks. Use a shovel to put them into the shelter you just built.

This system demands a nice campsite on a lake or river. And a couple beers after.

Bustercluck
11-03-2019, 07:52 AM
For those of you sleeping on an air mattress and not a cot, I suggest bringing a piece of plywood to put under your mattress it really stops that cold transfer from the ground to your mattress.

As for colder weather I really don’t mind sleeping in a nylon tent. I’ve stayed in -18 with just a klymit air mattress and a sleeping bag. It’s really not a big deal. Make sure just your face is showing out of your sleeping bag and two neck warmers, one on your neck and one over your forehead. The hardest part is putting your boots on in the morning. I haven’t figured that out yet. I’ve tried putting those hand warmer packs in at night and stuffing the top of my boots with socks and tried putting them in as soon as I wake up, but nothing seems to work.

the wall tent really shines when it’s raining and you want your gear dried out

northof49
11-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Lots of good ideas, but nobody mentioned the 40 pounder of Forty Creek....cures all. Barely even notice the bear dragging you out of the tent...just seems like a dream!

northof49
11-03-2019, 08:38 AM
And my favourite...build a sauna. After your meat is hung and you have time to kill. Build a small structure out of poles. About five by five by five. Dig the ends into the ground. This works best on a nice sandy beach. Cover it with vapour barrier. Use thumb tacks to hold it to the structure. Make a dirty big fire for about three hours and heat a bunch of rocks. Use a shovel to put them into the shelter you just built.

This system demands a nice campsite on a lake or river. And a couple beers after.

Done this many times. Sheet of plywood for roof and drape poly over and secure around bottom with rocks or logs to seal. Dig hole towards one end for dumping the hot rocks in. Good to have extra piece of plywood for shield for occasions when the odd rock explodes when adding water....had that happen few times. Sauna vacates in a hurry!!

We used to make them with a hippy killer as well and just drop water on the stove. No exploding rocks that way and vent pipe up thru the plywood. Those were the high end saunas. The ones with rocks were usually on the fly-ins

Squamch
11-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Done this many times. Sheet of plywood for roof and drape poly over and secure around bottom with rocks or logs to seal. Dig hole towards one end for dumping the hot rocks in. Good to have extra piece of plywood for shield for occasions when the odd rock explodes when adding water....had that happen few times. Sauna vacates in a hurry!!

My buddy's wife has a pretty gnarly scar between her boobs from a shard of exploding river rock that stuck to her then got caught in her top.

This is a great thread, a wall tent is on my list of goals! Where are you guys buying these diesel heaters?

Seeker
11-13-2019, 05:15 PM
My buddy's wife has a pretty gnarly scar between her boobs from a shard of exploding river rock that stuck to her then got caught in her top.

This is a great thread, a wall tent is on my list of goals! Where are you guys buying these diesel heaters?

Deluxe wall tents.

Seeker
11-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Ok, so here is the report. The Eco fan was fantastic! My buddy decided to buy a way too big tent and that fan made sure the whole tent was heated. Mouse traps came in very handy and kept out the vermin. Plastic or metal stakes would have been very handy to stake down the tent. I like the bright orange stakes from Princess auto because of their visibility. Also use bright yellow nylon rope for securing tent, the visibility when moving around the tent at night with a flashlight is sure nice. I bought two battery powered(6AA's each) LED strings from the Canadian tire Christmas section for $20 each. Although they worked, I would have preferred brighter, so next trip I will hang a bigger LED lantern from a chain from the ridge line. The torch to light the fire worked well. The porch for the kitchen was fantastic. We used 3 plastic short Costco tables which worked well. We took a stand up drying rack for clothes simply because we had the room and it worked great. Also took an RV mat for under the porch to keep out the mud and it also worked well. I took a plastic boot mat that we put the boots on near the fire. The lips on the mat keep any mud and snow from draining onto the floor and into walking areas. We had a 5 gallon tank mounted to the side of the stove and always had hot water. That was a GREAT feature. Well worth the price.

Next trip - welding blanket ^ stove. A broom for sweeping the dirt off the floor tarp.Some sort of pole or stake for the smoke stack and wire to secure them together.

I loved the heat from the wood stove, but I will be honest, I and everything I owned smelled so strongly of smoke I would think again about the diesel heaters. I grew up on wood heat and do not remember them smelling so strongly. Even my plastic watch strap still reeks of smoke. Deluxe wall tents were sold out of diesel heaters, so we went with the wood stove. Personal choice I guess.

Thanks for all your tips folks. They certainly made for more enjoyable trip.

twoSevenO
11-13-2019, 06:29 PM
Was it pretty windy? We went on one windy trip and had a lot of smoke in the tent as well at times. Clothes all aired out pretty quick though

We just did a trip this year and had zero smoke issue. It was fantastic.

We still bring a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm just in case.

whognu
11-13-2019, 06:46 PM
15+ years in wall tent with homemade wood stove, never had more than a passing smoke scent on clothes upon returning to civilization

sounds like a venting problem

which as noted, can be dangerous

(duh)

Downwindtracker2
11-13-2019, 09:26 PM
I don't know but it seems it's always windy in the fall. On year, it was especially bad and the stove didn't draw. I went to town and bought a couple of lengths of stove pipe as well as the beer and groceries. Just one length was all that was needed. I had one of those rain caps that weather vaned . I don't know if that helped, didn't hurt. If you have smoke problems, just add more stove pipe height. It also makes it easier to start the fire.

ActionJackson017
11-14-2019, 06:52 AM
To help our stove draw, we also bring a level and have it tilted slightly higher at the back so the smoke naturally finds its way up to the pipe. To Seeker's comments on his findings too, we also bring:
-an extendable aluminum rod with chain that we extend to stabilize the pipe
-two welding blankets in the corner of the tent off the horizontal bars in addition to the blanket under the stove to protect the canvas
-broom and dust pan as inevitably stuff gets tracked in, especially when I bring my dog
-we have a 4 foot LED light we hang from the top of the tent and snake our electrical cord outside to our generator which we keep usually 20 feet or so away from the tent behind our cargo hauler or some such to dampen the noise. Something like https://www.homedepot.ca/product/toggled-32w-5000k-daylight-led-shop-light/1001304834 and you'll never be wanting for light. Our tent lights up like a massive white cathedral in the middle of the bush and is likely visible from outer space on a clear night LOL.

Seeker
11-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Now that you guys mention it, the stove was not level and I believe that the stack may have even been on the downhill side. Didn't think much about that, but I will on future trips.

Hillerbillyvan
11-16-2019, 10:09 PM
I use my big buddy catalytic propane heaters my wall tent 18,000 btu, zero emissions
I have a detector/alarm beside my cot just in case but it’s never registered anything and they have tip over and low oxygen shut down safety’s it’ll run 120hrs at low setting on a 20lb tank that’s 15. Toasty 8hr nights and no wet wood to deal with
also use an rv outdoor straw mat for floor and LED lanterns from Costco on AA batteries they’re like $20 for a 3 pack
and 1 or 2 light up the tent like your bedroom at home. Anyway that’s the best combo I’ve found myself

Downwindtracker2
11-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Catalytic heaters use oxygen.

fuzzybiscuit
11-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Any pictures?

markomoose
11-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Some great ideas here.I recently built a trailer 14x8 that has 4 foot walls.Its half trailer/half wall tent.You are off the ground so mice are not a problem.I call it a hybrid.