PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Steelhead

Opinionated Ol Phart
10-31-2019, 10:08 AM
DFO seems determined to eradicate Thompson steelhead .. Have a look and PLEASE let your MLA know they have to get off thier butts and stop the gillnet fishery https://bcwf.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019.10.30-Ltr-to-John-Horgan-IFS-and-Chum-Fishery.pdf?bblinkid=184893692&bbemailid=16859832&bbejrid=1218623140

weatherby_man
10-31-2019, 10:24 AM
They've been on that trajectory for a LONG time..... I helped work on the Thompson issue for years and it always fell to deaf ears in DFO and the GoC, one reason I gave that effort up. Its almost like they want to eradicate them so as not to spend any money on it. Also at this point no one in GoC and especially not Govt of BC under Whore-gan is going to interfere with FN,,,so IMHO its dead....

Opinionated Ol Phart
11-01-2019, 08:32 PM
:cry:...............

markomoose
11-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Why the DFO hasn't stopped the netting or closed it completely is concerning.They will shut down a road to let a thousand frogs migrate but they will let a complete species suffer.I don't get it?

REMINGTON JIM
11-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Indians are mostly at Fault - Steel Head trout to them are worth Nothing ! DFO doesnt really give a SHIT ! :cry: RJ

IronNoggin
11-04-2019, 10:31 AM
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/steelhead-numbers-at-yet-another-all-time-low-1.23994055

:mad:
(https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/steelhead-numbers-at-yet-another-all-time-low-1.23994055)

Wood butcher
11-04-2019, 09:01 PM
A total shame IMO. Its been heading this way for years and really is sad, considering what it once was and what it did for the towns and people of the interior.

REMINGTON JIM
11-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Back in the 70-80-90's there was LOTs of Steel Head ! Sport fishers did not do THIS ! Indians did with there " NETs " across the Fraser ! Real Stewarts of the Land they are ! :evil: RJ

SPEYMAN
11-05-2019, 08:40 PM
There may have been some recreational fishers issues. There were attempts to stop the kill fishery and to stop the use of natural bait. Those that wanted to kill fish were very vocal and resisted. As usual the squeakiest wheel got the grease.
It was not only native fishers gill netting the Fraser.

Wood butcher
11-05-2019, 09:20 PM
There may have been some recreational fishers issues. There were attempts to stop the kill fishery and to stop the use of natural bait. Those that wanted to kill fish were very vocal and resisted. As usual the squeakiest wheel got the grease.
It was not only native fishers gill netting the Fraser.

There were definitely some recreational sport fishing issues. They all contributed to mortality in some way, however I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that they were the real demise of this run of fish though.

SPEYMAN
11-06-2019, 05:39 PM
The recreational fishers seem to always say "not us". Never claimed they were the reason for the real demise, that is entirely in the hands and responsibility of both the Federal and Provincial Governments. Put the blame where it belongs, not on any one group that obeyed the laws they were governed by.

blackbart
11-10-2019, 07:13 PM
All groups that touch the Steelhead in one way or another are to blame to some degree. That being said the stock could take a certain amount of mortality before the large scale commercial Chum fishery was allowed by DFO. Fly over the Fraser when it is on and a minnow couldn't make it through the nets. The saddest thing is the Chums are mostly killed for dog food or their roe. It is rather frustrating to watch.....

SPEYMAN
11-10-2019, 11:33 PM
No matter how you cut it, the responsibility remains with the Government agencies that are supposed to manage the stocks. They were created for and given the job. They have failed miserably.

303savage
11-12-2019, 11:58 AM
I watched on group of natives fish salmon. The men would dip net the fish, the kids would pack them up to the road and the women would clean the fish and pack the fish on ice in coolers. That was intresting. Another group that I watched would net the fish, throw then in the trunk of their cars and run around selling them and what they didn't sell they threw in a ditch along a road.

walks with deer
11-12-2019, 12:20 PM
the chum roe makes the chum fisherey more profitable than sockeye.

tubby
11-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Sold to overseas markets and sturgeon fisherman absolutely sickening.
F-ck DFO.

Just like our upper Fraser stock Chinook and sockeye. Mismanaged by DFO into extinction!

Bugle M In
11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
I have to say, this was the first time I never saw anyone on the rivers along the Thompson/Fraser during the long weekend of November.
Thinking maybe it is closed to steelhead??? (I haven't stayed in the loop of what is happening other then #'s are real bad).
That should tell everyone the state of affairs for Steelhead and the DFO is to blame!