PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Duck Hunting

Carrollizer
10-29-2019, 04:23 PM
Hey guys
long time hunter but never tried duck hunting.
Just wondering if I were to jump in a boat/canoe and shoot some ducks would this be legit?
There’s a nice lake with ducks where I camp where I go deer hunting.
Any pointers or fallacies in my approach? I don’t have decoys. Hypothetically can I throw a rock in the water by sitting ducks to get them to fly and shoot them?
thanks

Wild one
10-29-2019, 04:51 PM
If they hang out close to shore it can be possible to sneak up for a jump shoot but if there is a lack og good shore cover good chance you won’t even get close enough. This is often a one and done for a long period or the day. You will still need to bring a canoe for recovery. So in simple terms a a lot of work for one shot opportunity that may or may not even end in a day

If you want to jump shoot sloughs/creeks/rivers that you can work long stretches and shallow enough to use waders to recover your birds

My advice invest in a hand full of decoys, a mojo, and a call it’s worth it. It opens up way more options and more successful

Hugh Mann
10-29-2019, 04:58 PM
You're definitely allowed to hunt from a boat so long as it doesn't have a motor. Buddy of mine bagged the most ducks from a pond we've ever had at once from a kayak.

Shoot them in the water if you can, and have a way to retrieve them, a much easier kill and they don't sink.

sparkes3
10-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Sneak out to them and bang away.
use the canoe to retrieve them.

Carrollizer
10-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys.
Wasnt planning a whole day hunt more so a come back from deer hunting and if there’s ducks in the water try to bag some.
mill post my results when I go Remembrance Day weekend

Carrollizer
10-29-2019, 05:25 PM
What about using a 22 to take headshots? I usually use the deuce deuce for grouse...

Wild one
10-29-2019, 05:40 PM
What about using a 22 to take headshots? I usually use the deuce deuce for grouse...

read the regs a 22 is a big no no

Wild one
10-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys.
Wasnt planning a whole day hunt more so a come back from deer hunting and if there’s ducks in the water try to bag some.
mill post my results when I go Remembrance Day weekend

if you have a shotgun, steel shot, and a migratory bird stamp it does not hurt to try. I have taken ducks out of creeks many times on hunting trips but it only adds up to a lunch or two

Carrollizer
10-29-2019, 05:53 PM
read the regs a 22 is a big no no
Well browning A-5 it is

Carrollizer
10-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Also this is going to be my super stealthy duck hunting/fishing boat hahaha
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-2-person-inflatable-river-boat-set-0798313p.html